PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Ginobili ponders retirement

irishock
06-15-2013, 03:33 PM
http://espn.go.com/nba/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/9390155/2013-nba-finals-manu-ginobili-san-antonio-spurs-says-considered-retirement

SAN ANTONIO -- There are a lot of things San Antonio Spurs (http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/sa/san-antonio-spurs) guard Manu Ginobili (http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/272/manu-ginobili) doesn't have a great answer for these days. His tepid play in the NBA Finals is one of them.
His future with the Spurs, and in basketball, is another.

“http://a.espncdn.com/combiner/i?img=/i/headshots/nba/players/full/272.png&w=65&h=90&scale=crop&background=0xcccccc&transparent=falseYou kind of get tired and you want to enjoy a little more time at home sometimes. You go back to Argentina to see your people, and you think about it.
”-- Manu Ginobili on his future"I really don't know," Ginobili said Saturday afternoon, when asked whether this could be his final season.
"All season long I kind of knew that I was going to play one or two more years. But when you are 36 [years old] -- I'm going to be 36 pretty soon -- everything is a day-by-day basis. Once the season finishes and I see how I feel, I can't imagine me not playing at least one more year here, but time will tell. We'll see."
Ginobili is in the final season of a three-year, $39 million contract. He will turn 36 at the end of July, and the accumulation of injuries he's dealt with this season has taken its toll.
"For three quarters of the season it was the physical part," Ginobili said. "I'd say, 'No, I can't deal with this anymore. I'm tired of rehab and trying to be in shape all the time.'
"But at this point I'm fine physically, so you are a little more optimistic. But you know, it's been 18 years doing this. You kind of get tired and you want to enjoy a little more time at home sometimes. You go back to Argentina to see your people, and you think about it. I'm going to have time for that too."
It's as hard to picture him as anything other than a San Antonio Spur as it is to picture the Spurs without Ginobili. If he decides to play another season or two, Ginobili could command more on the open market than in San Antonio, although it would almost certainly be less than the $14 million salary he was paid this season.
San Antonio general manager R.C. Buford said he hopes it doesn't come to that kind of choice.
"We'll address everything after the end of the season," Buford told ESPN's J.A. Adande on Saturday. "But our hope is for Manu to play through his career with the Spurs."
That seems to be Ginobili's hope as well.
"Sometimes I do think about retirement," he said. "But then I say, 'No, no. I love what I do. I'm very lucky to be in a franchise like this. So I really can't picture myself being retired already.'
"Threre's a small chance. It's not that I'm really considering, but I can never say 'no' for sure, because I sometimes consider it."

DJR210
06-15-2013, 03:37 PM
It's a sad reality. I would prefer seeing him retire than end up getting more than he's worth here, or even worse wear a different jersey next year.

Reck
06-15-2013, 03:39 PM
He would retire than play for another team at this point in his career.

DJR210
06-15-2013, 03:44 PM
He would retire than play for another team at this point in his career.

I think so to. I'm sure he and his family are comfortable in San Antonio, but you never know when it comes to money.

dunkman
06-15-2013, 03:49 PM
He should think about that few games later. The Spurs need some good games from him. It's not only that the Heat don't let him play, its also that he doesn't play with a sense of urgency. This is probably his last shot at the title, the motivation shouldn't be a problem.

UZER
06-15-2013, 04:02 PM
I really think just a few weeks ago he thought he could go another year or two, but despite his efforts this series, he is having almost zero impact and I think hes realizing its not gonna change long term. his body just cant do it anymore.

im holding out hope he can give us 1 or two more "manu" games. hell, ill take one more "manu" quarter if its decides an outcome.

Thebesteva
06-15-2013, 04:10 PM
Amazing. Series is tied 2-2 and this guy wants to mentally pack it in. What a pansy

ElNono
06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Luckily for the Spurs, he has two more seasons left in him, tbh... better enjoy him while he's there.

TrainOfThought5
06-15-2013, 04:58 PM
Noone is going to pay Manu as much as we pay Manu to play as shitty as hes been playing, "tbh"

N0 LyF3 ScRuB
06-15-2013, 05:01 PM
Misleading title. Pretty much dismissed it

DMC
06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
I'd prefer he drop some nuts and not discuss retirement until after the Finals.

DMC
06-15-2013, 05:18 PM
Noone is going to pay Manu as much as we pay Manu to play as shitty as hes been playing, "tbh"

You'd be surprised what the Lakers pay old guys who don't perform.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 05:23 PM
I'd prefer he drop some nuts and not discuss retirement until after the Finals.

He probably responded to a question, tbh... he's been singing the same tune since January or so...

ElNono
06-15-2013, 05:25 PM
Dude obviously still has plenty left in the tank... DMC been pointing out that the champs are the champs for a reason... it's not just Manu having a tough time in these series...

On a 82 game season against all kind of teams, having an cerebral and experienced guy like Manu coming off the bench is always a plus most teams would love to have.

DMX7
06-15-2013, 05:42 PM
I like Manu, but it's just time. He is running on fumes these days and too injured to really count on for even half a season worth of play.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 06:07 PM
Kawhi missed more games than Manu this season... people just stresses over Manu's injuries more because of his past, tbh (which isn't as bad as people make it out to be either)...

He has plenty left to be a serviceable 2 off the bench, especially if Neal bolts in the offseason...

Reck
06-15-2013, 06:27 PM
Amazing. Series is tied 2-2 and this guy wants to mentally pack it in. What a pansy

Its classic Spurs.

That frenchy quitter is also sending signals that he doesn't wanna play hard anymore.

Reck
06-15-2013, 06:30 PM
Luckily for the Spurs, he has two more seasons left in him, tbh... better enjoy him while he's there.

As a Manu fan myself, 2 more years of this would be hell. He should have a farewell tour and call it.

Hard to enjoy when he's just atrocious out there.

With that said, I'm more than satisfied with what he has done for us. Either way, I'm happy with the bald fuck.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 06:37 PM
As a Manu fan myself, 2 more years of this would be hell.

If you expect him to be a 15-20ppg guy, then yeah, you'll be severely disappointed.

The Spurs had one of the top scoring benches in the NBA and it's single-handedly run by that guy. He's a playmaker now, and he does a great job at it.

This particular series has been rough for him, but the Spurs don't play Miami 82 times in the season.

Thebesteva
06-15-2013, 06:57 PM
Its classic Spurs.

That frenchy quitter is also sending signals that he doesn't wanna play hard anymore.

You called it Shadow a while ago when you said they had mental issues. I still give them a ton of credit for beating all these teams and coming out the West. But this is the difference between winning a championship and saying 'we were so close'.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 07:04 PM
You called it Shadow a while ago when you said they had mental issues. I still give them a ton of credit for beating all these teams and coming out the West. But this is the difference between winning a championship and saying 'we were so close'.

That's a terrible take, tbh... these guys are already 3x-4x time champs, far from their first dance... they're just on the decline and playing an historically packed team...

If you look at the predictions at the start of the season, nobody had them in the Finals... for all intents and purposes they're severely overachieving...

Thebesteva
06-15-2013, 07:40 PM
That's a terrible take, tbh... these guys are already 3x-4x time champs, far from their first dance... they're just on the decline and playing an historically packed team...

If you look at the predictions at the start of the season, nobody had them in the Finals... for all intents and purposes they're severely overachieving...

I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I think what they've done this season is historic considering that they weren't on anyones top 4 teams most likely to come out of the West.

However, it amazes me that they have a very serious shot at winning this thing right now and Manu is packing it in mentally and talking about retirement. Guys obviously done mentally, and Parker is the man but talking about how his hamstring is close to tearing right now is ridiculous. You gotta dig deep at this point or forget it.

Timmy is the only one staying tough mentally as well as the role players like Leonard, Green, and Neal.

If Spurs can just dig a little deeper and win game 5, this is their series to lose. They will probably go to game 7 and ANYTHING can happen even without the calls in their favor. But if they act like this now, they will lose tomorrow, and it will be a game 6 parade for Lebron.

DMC
06-15-2013, 07:51 PM
We got here with Manu. We either win or lose with Manu. Next season will take care of itself with contract negotiations in the off season, however right now Manu is still part of the big 3 and the best guy we have coming off the bench regardless of shooting streaks. I'd take Manu over Neal handling the ball in last minute situations, and I'd live with the results. No he's not dominant, only Parker has that ability for the Spurs, but he's clever and sometimes that's what wins.

If he decides to retire, good luck to him. He's a millionaire many times over and a national hero in his home country, a future HOFer and probably the best Euroleague guy ever to play in the NBA. He's been the most exciting player during his time in the league, that is unquestionable. Dude has done it all, and if he gets to retire at his age, with his kids and wife, he's one of the luckiest men ever to have lived. If he goes out with a Finals win, great, if not then he's at least a competitor for the ring coming and going. Can't ask for more.

DMC
06-15-2013, 07:54 PM
I'm not disagreeing with you at all. I think what they've done this season is historic considering that they weren't on anyones top 4 teams most likely to come out of the West.

However, it amazes me that they have a very serious shot at winning this thing right now and Manu is packing it in mentally and talking about retirement. Guys obviously done mentally, and Parker is the man but talking about how his hamstring is close to tearing right now is ridiculous. You gotta dig deep at this point or forget it.

Timmy is the only one staying tough mentally as well as the role players like Leonard, Green, and Neal.

If Spurs can just dig a little deeper and win game 5, this is their series to lose. They will probably go to game 7 and ANYTHING can happen even without the calls in their favor. But if they act like this now, they will lose tomorrow, and it will be a game 6 parade for Lebron.

Spurs are just answering questions. They haven't thrown their coach under a bus like they do in other cities (ahem) and no one has pointed fingers at teammates or made any comments about big dogs guarding houses. Spurs are ok.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 10:36 PM

Actually none of them are talking about it. They have an obligation to field questions from the media (ordered by the league), and the media will ask whatever... I'm pretty sure if they didn't have to talk to them now, they wouldn't. But it's not an option for them.

Just read the stories. It's about 3 phrases from the players (some response to a question), and 90% of the rest some diatribes from the article's author...

leemajors
06-15-2013, 10:59 PM
We got here with Manu. We either win or lose with Manu. Next season will take care of itself with contract negotiations in the off season, however right now Manu is still part of the big 3 and the best guy we have coming off the bench regardless of shooting streaks. I'd take Manu over Neal handling the ball in last minute situations, and I'd live with the results. No he's not dominant, only Parker has that ability for the Spurs, but he's clever and sometimes that's what wins.

If he decides to retire, good luck to him. He's a millionaire many times over and a national hero in his home country, a future HOFer and probably the best Euroleague guy ever to play in the NBA. He's been the most exciting player during his time in the league, that is unquestionable. Dude has done it all, and if he gets to retire at his age, with his kids and wife, he's one of the luckiest men ever to have lived. If he goes out with a Finals win, great, if not then he's at least a competitor for the ring coming and going. Can't ask for more.

:tu

playbonner15
06-15-2013, 11:00 PM
Why are there suddenly talks about the Spurs' Big 3 showing that they no longer want to compete? After all that "1 more championship for Timmy talk", I can't believe this shit :rolleyes

Thebesteva
06-15-2013, 11:10 PM
Actually none of them are talking about it. They have an obligation to field questions from the media (ordered by the league), and the media will ask whatever... I'm pretty sure if they didn't have to talk to them now, they wouldn't. But it's not an option for them.

Just read the stories. It's about 3 phrases from the players (some response to a question), and 90% of the rest some diatribes from the article's author...

Trust me. Nothing would make me happier than to see Lebron run away in game 7 and losing to a team,...even if that team validates Tim Duncan as the greatest player of this era (5 rings+5 finals mvp puts him ahead of Kobe sadly and it's not even a debate.) The thing is, Timmy is all class so I don't mind if he sets up a blue print for future generations to display that maturity+no drama can = Legendary status.

Lebron has taught that if you act like a dip shit you can succeed in the NBA no matter who you fuck over. His front running fans are a classic display of that mentality as well, ie Clipper Nation whoring himself from one team to another to find someones dick he can ride of and be proud.

What I'm essentially saying ElNono is that I'm changing the subject tbh.

ElNono
06-16-2013, 12:46 AM
Trust me. Nothing would make me happier than to see Lebron run away in game 7 and losing to a team,...even if that team validates Tim Duncan as the greatest player of this era (5 rings+5 finals mvp puts him ahead of Kobe sadly and it's not even a debate.) The thing is, Timmy is all class so I don't mind if he sets up a blue print for future generations to display that maturity+no drama can = Legendary status.

Lebron has taught that if you act like a dip shit you can succeed in the NBA no matter who you fuck over. His front running fans are a classic display of that mentality as well, ie Clipper Nation whoring himself from one team to another to find someones dick he can ride of and be proud.

What I'm essentially saying ElNono is that I'm changing the subject tbh.

Solid post. Will send to iCloud and photostream it with family and friends.

Thebesteva
06-16-2013, 03:10 AM
Solid post. Will send to iCloud and photostream it with family and friends.

http://i.imgur.com/EjsGrFn.gif

Suspect
06-16-2013, 09:19 AM
Cant wait till manu/tim/pop are gone and the spurs start sucking ass tbh

Killakobe81
06-16-2013, 10:12 AM

I like Manu, more than Frenchy but abit less than Pop and duncan. Gret player huge balls, popularized the euro two step and was as toughas nails even with hi flopping. But THAT is hyperbole. He is not the most exciting player of that time. Most unique very exciting but that is overstatement.

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:16 AM
I like Manu, more than Frenchy but abit less than Pop and duncan. Gret player huge balls, popularized the euro two step and was as toughas nails even with hi flopping. But THAT is hyperbole. He is not the most exciting player of that time. Most unique very exciting but that is overstatement.

Guess you never saw the TNT/Manu segment where Magic says "You've been the most exciting player"

KtvDdicsldk

ElNono
06-16-2013, 11:55 AM
To be fair, Magic's hyperbole is only surpassed by his AIDS, tbh

Rogue
06-16-2013, 07:40 PM
manu used to be an amazing player but he's already 36yr old. He can still be brilliant once in a while (like game 3) but you can't expect it to happen on a regular basis anymore. plus, manu had to play on his national team almost every year up until last year, which must have accelerated the aging process of his body to some extent. Dude was constantly distracted by national duty over the past years and it's amazing enough that he's still such a solid player at age 36.