PDA

View Full Version : New Manu Article: We're going to play with more determination and anger

ElNono
06-15-2013, 05:10 PM
We're going to play with more determination and anger
by Manu Ginobili - June 15, 2013

SAN ANTONIO.- I still haven't done a detailed analysis of the game, since I wanted to clear my mind, enjoy my kids, and be calm at home. Tomorrow I'll draw better conclusions. Last night I thought about the game with the pillow and I re-lived it a couple times, but when you're playing you feel things differently than when you watch it later on. When I watch it today I'll have a better idea and Pop will show us the mistakes. I haven't analyzed the game tactically yet, only in my head.

They started slow and then accelerated, forcing penetration, Lebron started to take the ball from rim to rim attacking and generating plays, and they pressured a lot. In these series, the first game was far and away the one with more parity. After that there were clear winners and, as I've been saying, there has been much more reaction to a loss than a win. The team that lost the previous game came out with more determination, hunger and playing better. The games 2, 3 and 4 were like that.

I feel a bit frustrated and disappointed, since we had a great opportunity put ourselves just one game away from winning the series, but they beat us fair and square, we didn't play a great game and they did. They hit a lot more shots than previous games, defended hard, they were sharp on their rotations and a step ahead of us, forced a lot of turnovers and scored an extra 20pts off them. If we give them more than 15 turnovers, it becomes impossible to beat them. A lot of things went their way that allowed them to have a game like that. On top of turnovers and easy baskets, they also made shots. In the previous three games they didn't have such efficiency, and we got used to giving them the shots. This time they punished us and Wade, Lebron and Bosh had a very good night.

I'm not scoring, and that's easy to see. I think, except for game 2, that I passed the ball well, I created for my teammates. I simply have not been able to find my shooting, and I have not forced the issue because of the type of defense they play. It's being difficult for me to score, finding situations, so I'm focusing much more in generating offense, creating for others. I have no problem with scoring less, but just as long as the rest of the team does. That makes me happy despite my 7 points. But having a somewhat anonymous night on offense and losing hurts a bit more. I'm simply having problems to score.

The fifth game will be determinant, especially for us if we want to win this. Going back to Miami having to win both games generates a lot of pressure and it's a difficult task. If we can put together a good game Sunday and we win, I don't think it's impossible to beat them in Miami once. Historically, Game 5 is key. I don't think I've ever won a series being 2-2 and losing Game 5. It happened when we lost to Oklahoma City, and the reverse when we won… It's about elevating your game to the circumstances.

The logic indicates that, the way the series is coming along, we're going to come out with more determination and anger, but that doesn't mean we're guaranteed a win. Their strategy is supported by Lebron, Wade and Bosh, and if they keep shooting as well as last game they're going to make it very difficult for us. I think we have to do everything better: rebound, turn it over much less, pick our shots better, and defend harder. Then we'll have a chance. I'm guaranteeing the aggression, because we're between a rock and a hard place.

-----

Original article in Spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1592364-entraremos-con-mas-determinacion-y-mas-enojados)

ElNono
06-15-2013, 05:11 PM
excuse any typos, tbh

jag
06-15-2013, 05:23 PM
We need him to go balls to the wall. For better or worse, I fully expect that.

Yuixafun
06-15-2013, 05:27 PM
I actually hope he doesn't play angry.

When you're angry you play frustrated and are prone to foolishness, mistakes.

I'd rather he comes out relaxed, aggressive but with a smoldering determination.

But then Again Manu was always a fiery guy so whatever it takes to get him in his zone.

I'm wishing for him and all the guys to do their best.

SpurPadre
06-15-2013, 05:37 PM
I read the article in Spanish and he actually believes he made no bad passes in Game 4...but Pop will definitely show him the truth when they review the video. It's encouraging, though, that he plans to play with anger because it gives me hope he's going to draw some fouls driving to the lane and earn trips to the line, at least. Much like TP's hammy, I'm feeling better about our chances each day.

silverblk mystix
06-15-2013, 06:13 PM
Awesome - Manu wrote this...tomorrow?

ElNono
06-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Awesome - Manu wrote this...tomorrow?

I did say excuse the typos...

Lemme fix that :lol

DAF86
06-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I don't think it's impossible to beat them in Miami once. Historically, Game 5 is key. I don't think I've ever won a series being 2-2 and losing Game 5.

WCSF against the Hornets.

silverblk mystix
06-15-2013, 06:18 PM
I did say excuse the typos...

Lemme fix that :lol

So Manu didn't time travel...dammit!

just jerking your chain - thx for posting!

mercos
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
At this point, all we need Manu to do is not turn the ball over and take contested threes. The Spurs can win without a big game from Manu, but they can't win if he turns the ball over and takes bad shots.

SA210
06-15-2013, 06:31 PM
I actually hope he doesn't play angry.

When you're angry you play frustrated and are prone to foolishness, mistakes.

Manu has always played well when he's pissed of tbh. I would rather him be pissed. Duncan and Manu are players that play great when pissed. Not every player does, but Manu does. I want that emotion.

timvp
06-15-2013, 06:32 PM
Thx for translation and I like how Manu is thinking. In Game 4, he seemed happy just sitting back and hoping the Spurs hit another 2381041 three-pointers again. If he plays with more aggression going to the basket, that'll be great news for the Spurs and should help get him going.

MannyIsGod
06-15-2013, 06:35 PM
Really hoping for an inspired Manu performance tomorrow.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 06:42 PM
At this point, all we need Manu to do is not turn the ball over and take contested threes. The Spurs can win without a big game from Manu, but they can't win if he turns the ball over and takes bad shots.

He hasn't been turning it over that much this series (1, 2, 3, 1... hasn't lead the Spurs in turnovers in any game this series).

Budkin
06-15-2013, 06:44 PM
Really hoping for an inspired Manu performance tomorrow.

There has to be at least one left in him... there has to.

Budkin
06-15-2013, 06:46 PM
I read the article in Spanish and he actually believes he made no bad passes in Game 4...but Pop will definitely show him the truth when they review the video. It's encouraging, though, that he plans to play with anger because it gives me hope he's going to draw some fouls driving to the lane and earn trips to the line, at least. Much like TP's hammy, I'm feeling better about our chances each day.

The one that comes to mind right away is when he tried to lob a pass to Duncan while he was being fronted. Made it easy for Miami to just jump at catch it in the air.

ElNono
06-15-2013, 06:46 PM
The one that comes to mind right away is when he tried to lob a pass to Duncan while he was being fronted. Made it easy for Miami to just jump at catch it in the air.

That was actually his only turnover in the game...

spurs10
06-15-2013, 07:06 PM
Thank you for the translation. It's really great to hear Manu speak with this much "determination." I can only hope the Heat are underestimating Manu as much as many of the posters here. I doubt that though. No doubt 'scoring' has been an issue with him, but I'd like to see him take more shots and be the threat he has always been.

benefactor
06-15-2013, 07:19 PM
His mind and his body are two different things. The best that can be hoped for is for him not to make too many mistakes and help more than hurt. I would love for there to be more than that but I just don't see it happening.

Fabbs
06-15-2013, 07:19 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mp16_dodgeball-get-angry_fun#.Ub0DyNhv6Dk
Should Manu get angry?

spurs10
06-15-2013, 07:31 PM
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7mp16_dodgeball-get-angry_fun#.Ub0DyNhv6Dk
Should Manu get angry?:toast

ace3g
06-15-2013, 07:45 PM
Manu needs to get hit/knocked down by one of the Heat players, that always gets him going.

ace3g
06-15-2013, 07:48 PM
http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o170/ancestron/686992951460b86c0a008e.gif

therealtruth
06-15-2013, 07:53 PM
The Heat know he's looking to pass so they're jumping his passes. He's not going to be effective creating for others unless he is a threat himself.

spurs10
06-15-2013, 07:55 PM
The Heat know he's looking to pass so they're jumping his passes. He's not going to be effective creating for others unless he is a threat himself. Exactly...he knows this better than us.

milkyway21
06-15-2013, 08:13 PM
goddammit Manu "fucking" bili show them you can still DO IT !!!

I'm tired of reading b.s. (but some are true) stories, about you!!! :lol

superjames1992
06-15-2013, 08:35 PM
Manu needs to get hit/knocked down by one of the Heat players, that always gets him going.
As long as he doesn't break or pull something, tbh.

Gagnrath
06-15-2013, 08:53 PM
He had a pass to neal that neal had to step back and leap into the corner to catch which lead to a turn over, as well as a pass to splitter down low around splitters knees. The one to neal wasn't completely on Manu but I'd say it was 85% on him. The other to splitter was also at least partially on manu though in theory not so bad.

naico
06-16-2013, 10:46 AM
What he needs to do is keep his TO's in check. As long as he can do that, facilitates the game with his passes and pick and rolls, go for rebounds, i'm more than satisfied.

EVAY
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
Tony played well in the first half of the last game and everybody watching knew that he would likely not have it in the second half. That is when he other two 'big three' teammates needed to step up and they didn't. It will likely be the same tonight...the kind of injury Tony has is always going to be harder to overcome the more tired the player gets - so I hope that TD and Manu both play smart aggressive basketball against the Heat in the fourth quarter...that is when the Heat are most dangerous. With Tony Brothers officiating, I can almost guarantee that ALL the spurs will be angry tonight.

Canibspur
06-16-2013, 11:17 AM
This is gonna be fun

Drew2354
06-16-2013, 11:54 AM
Go kick there ass Manu!

SpursRock20
06-16-2013, 11:57 AM
WCSF against the Hornets.
Remember the Hornets, fellas!

Budkin
06-16-2013, 10:42 PM
There has to be at least one left in him... there has to.

I knew it! Thank you Manu!!!!