PDA

View Full Version : Argentinean Article About Oberto

manubili
07-15-2005, 07:23 AM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/15/deportes/d-07201.htm

Oberto will play in the Spurs next to Ginóbili

The "Cordobes" will become the sixth Argentinean in the NBA. The agreement with the texan team is verbal and it will become serious the 22 of July.

As much it was spoken of the arrival of Fabricio Oberto to the NBA that finally it happened. And nothing less than to San Antonio Spurs, with the bichampion Emanuel Ginóbili, who will open the doors to the texan city. It was Oberto or Luis Scola. There was no other alternative for San Antonio.

And finally they decided on the flaming father of Julia, that will be a key piece in the team directed by Gregg Popovich during next the three years. Tim Duncan does not have a safe and reliable companion under the rimm, because Nazr Mohammed is intermittent and the Slovene Rasho Nesterovic finished in the bench and can be transferred to other team.

Robert Horry, who signed for three years more, is not a paint player although he is valueable for his versatility. Oberto will be the sixth Argentinean in the NBA. All Olympic champions.

Juan Ignacio Sanchez and Rubén Wolkowyski laid the way in 2000. Manu won the first ring in 2003. And last season arrived Andrés Nocioni and Carlos Delfino.

The Argentinean had a pre-agreed one signed with the Spurs, that now made cash. The agent of Oberto in the United States, Herb Rudoy, the same one of Manu, confirmed the adjustment to him to ESPN.com.

And soon echo was made the world-wide press. As much that the local newspaper San Antonio Express News confirmed the news yesterday. Journalist Johnny Ludden, who covers the games with the Spurs, wrote that the team was decided on Oberto because "did not want to wait for more to than Scola negotiated the clause of rescission with its Spanish equipment (Tau)".

Nevertheless, of the side of Scola they had affirmed that "the rescission would not be problem". They only waited for a offer. And it never arrived. Or, rather, it was for another player.

The trajectory of Oberto is amazing, from its beginnings in Athens. With a mentality of iron and its dedication to work, he managed to be considered between best the wing pivots of the world, with great rebs capacity and collective sense.

Argentina enjoyed it in the world-wide subchampionship Indianapolis 2002 and in Olympic gold Athens 2004. Now it will be the turn of San Antonio Spurs. So far the agreement is only verbal; just from Friday 22 equipment NBA can sign contracts. Oberto waits for the news. "From 1996 it is said that I am going to go to play there. It's like a movie, and now everything is directed to achieve my dream ", said, almost awake, Fabricio.

:elephant

picnroll
07-15-2005, 09:51 AM
So we still don't have an answer about Scola's "availability" or rather we have multiple answers. Depending on the source:

1) He has a $14.5 million buyout that Tau doesn't appear to be willing to compromise on and three years ledft on his contract.
2) He has a $2 million or so buyout that could have been arranged and one or two years left on his contract.

If it's the latter Scola will be majorly PO'd at the Spurs but he would be good trade fodder.

xcoriate
07-15-2005, 10:05 AM
Scola is going to end up to the Spurs as Delfino was to the Pistons, fucking bitter.

Solid D
07-15-2005, 10:20 AM
http://www.clarin.com/diario/2005/07/15/deportes/d-07201.htm And nothing less than to San Antonio Spurs, with the bichampion Emanuel Ginóbili, who will open the doors to the texan city. It was Oberto or Luis Scola. There was no other alternative for San Antonio.

And finally they decided on the flaming father of Julia, that will be a key piece in the team directed by Gregg Popovich during next the three years. Tim Duncan does not have a safe and reliable companion under the rimm, because Nazr Mohammed is intermittent and the Slovene Rasho Nesterovic finished in the bench and can be transferred to other team.

thanks for the article.

CubanMustGo
07-15-2005, 10:29 AM
On the small chance that reply wasn't meant as a joke ...

Bichampion is probably "two time champion," flaming father is probably something like "spirited leader" or some such.

Summers
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
So, the translation's a little iffy, but the Spurs have said they were waiting on Tau and Tau is saying they were waiting on the Spurs? So, the Spurs basically changed their minds, right? Meaning they'll use Scola's rights, as picnroll said, as trade bait.

Edit: I just woke up, but I read Ludden's article and understand now.

picnroll
07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
Good back to the basket low post scorers, which is what Scola is at least in European leagues, is a rarity in the NBA and has considerable value. If Scola can free himself up and if a team with someone the Spurs want, is reasonably convinced Scola can perform in the NBA, he could be a valuable asset. I don't know how it works but I know in the past there was a deadline for some players to buyout. Scola may have a drop dead date to either get an agreement from Tau or play for them next year. Both the Spurs and Tau may be pointing fingers at each other trying to convince Scola that the other party was the unreasonable one to minimize alienating him. Who knows.

Solid D
07-15-2005, 10:48 AM

Bichampion is probably "two time champion," flaming father is probably something like "spirited leader" or some such.
It was light-hearted but since it wasn't obvious, I took out the comments. Thanks. :)

manubili
07-15-2005, 12:01 PM
It was light-hearted but since it wasn't obvious, I took out the comments. Thanks. :)

Blame it on Google and my english teacher.

Flaming Father should be "recent father", Oberto had a baby recently.

hendrix
07-15-2005, 12:04 PM

Since you ask:
Yes, "Bicampeón" is "two-time champion" and no, "Flamante padre" means "Brand new father".