PDA

View Full Version : What is coach Poop's purpose in keeping Manu...

Manutrix
06-16-2013, 01:31 AM
... coming off the bench other than the worn-out flat out ritual it's been throughout most of the years...

Let us remember in the beginning it was so that Manu would carry the offensive load, leading the bench in points, having the ball in his hands all the time (back when Parker would refuse to share the ball), etc.

But now that Manu can't (for whatever reason...) carry the offensive load for the bench, shouldn't he be benifiting as much as possible from playing with the starters? With Tim at least?

Shouldn't Pop find another 6th guy coming off the bench who can be the instant scoring machine. Personally, I'd think that guy could be Parker, but we know he would never accept that, unlike Manu.

Then the other option would have to be Green, but I'm not sure he can create as much or score in more ways other than as a spot up shooter.

Being in a slump, Manu finds it even harder when he's not on the floor with other scoring threats that can attract the Heat's attention.

justinandimcool
06-16-2013, 01:33 AM
Tried this last year. It got us eliminated.

RD2191
06-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Tried this last year. It got us eliminated.

Juggity
06-16-2013, 01:40 AM
Shouldn't Pop find another 6th guy coming off the bench who can be the instant scoring machine. Personally, I'd think that guy could be Parker, but we know he would never accept that, unlike Manu.

:lmao Final gasping breaths of the CoM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYPsoxpt0BU

ElNono
06-16-2013, 01:43 AM
He's the only other ballhandler outside of Tony that can bring the ball up and start the offense with the second unit in this series. Arguably T-Mac might be the only other guy that won't shit his pants or turn it over when Miami traps him on the high P&R (which the Spurs run 85% of the time with the second unit).

We'll see what Pop does. If Tony can play heavy minutes, that would be the best solution. But that hammy might botch that plan.

100%duncan
06-16-2013, 02:44 AM
You want Pop to panic again? :pctoss

Obstructed_View
06-16-2013, 04:19 AM
By all means, let's find a way to mess up the rhythm of the guy playing the best for the Spurs, who's shooting an ungodly percentage from three, and has never shown this kind of confidence.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-16-2013, 05:11 AM
Ball handling, play making & the fact that he is... Manu Ginobili

Stabula
06-16-2013, 05:13 AM
:lol bring Parker off the bench

chapnis
06-16-2013, 05:40 AM
He's Manu Ginobili.

hyhy
06-16-2013, 06:40 AM
Other than taking contested 3 pointers early in the shot clock, he is doing fine

pgardn
06-16-2013, 07:33 AM
Miami has a wicked perimeter D. They put extreme pressure on the best ball handlers. Manu is having trouble with it.

Joseph, Neal, and DeColo would be eaten alive if they had to take Manu's spot. He is our second best ball handler, and he is also given the task of trying to create when a play breaks down. This is an extraordinarily difficult task against this team. Parker is the only guy that has the physical tools to handle it. Manu is next up, like it or not.

Thats it. It seems obvious.

Kidd K
06-16-2013, 07:47 AM
Why should he do that? Why force Green to the bench when he's actually playing MUCH better than Manu where he is? You'd be throwing Green, Neal, and Joseph under the bus in the hopes that Manu would play better for a couple games.

I'd rather continue having Manu off the bench since that's where he's been used most of his career and just hope he plays better. Much better than panicing and going from from what's working for Green and Neal just because Manu is having trouble handling his normal duties.

Tyrone Jenkins
06-16-2013, 08:49 AM
I'm not sure if I'm watching the same games but...

Ginobili is NOT the impetus for scoring w/ the 2nd unit.

Game 1 - 13 pts in 29.5 minutes of play w/ a +/- of +3.
Game 2 - 5 pts (2 for 6 from the field and 1 for 4 from 3 pt land) w/ a +/- of -23.
Game 3 - 7 pts in 23 minutes (0 for 4 from 3 pt) w/ a +/- of +6.
Game 4 - 5 pts in 25 minutes (0 for 3 from 3 pt) w/ a +/- of -22.

Given a playoff (total) average of 10.6 ppg, his FINALS average is considerably lower at 7.5 ppg.

In the playoffs this year, he is experiencing career low in shooting percentage (.377) and is only the 2nd time he is shooting worse than 30% from the 3pt line while his turnovers per game have remained essentially the same. His offensive win shares are down to 0.3, his FT attempts are the 2nd lowest of his playoff career and his FT percentage is 71% (lowest of his career - regular OR post-season).

To his credit, his assist per game ratio is up slightly from last year (4.0 to 4.8).

However, the eye-ball test that you and I both see is clearly the indicator of a player who hasn't got it. Not saying he won't EVER get it back, but I think it's time that someone else on the bench get the preponderance of minutes to try.

Gary Neal is averaging less assists per game but is averaging less turnovers per game and is scoring at with much better efficiency and is more of a spread the floor threat.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 09:02 AM
there's nobody else.

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
I agree at this point in time Manu's probably better off playing more off the ball and doing less playmaking. That means finding actual backup PG. At this point I think it's hard to argue for Manu starting since Green is better defensively.

Bill_Brasky
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
"start Manu so he can benefit from playing with the starters, but bench Tony, one of the aforementioned starters that he would benefit the most from"

BatManu20
06-16-2013, 01:09 PM
"Coach Poop" lol

EVAY
06-16-2013, 01:14 PM
The way I see this is that this is the last time our Big Three get this far. Manu has been a huge part of getting us this far over the years. I want him to play in whatever situation maximizes his ability to play with and help the other two of the big three. I don't think that means taking Green out of the starting lineup, but it might mean playing Manu with Tim and Tony more of each quarter than has been the case to date.

Miami's bench is bigger and stronger than ours and plays fewer minutes than ours have been (I think). So I think that Manu has been trying to play with our second string against more of Miami's first string than is normally the case. This is the time to leave more of our starters in the game when Manu comes in so that he is not the sole focus of the Heat's defense. We have been "saving" guys for the playoffs all season. This is the time for everyone to play together as much as possible. Maybe sit Tony more to save his leg and have Manu run the offense for the first unit occasionally. I think if they did that you would see his numbers go up a lot, and it might help us.

Spursmania
06-16-2013, 01:20 PM
Deal with it Spur fans. You dance with the one who brought you.

Pop is in no way going to play T-Mac, so all fans who think that is a realistic option with Pop don't know the Spurs very well and/or are jumping off a cliff way too soon. We're lucky to be in the finals so let's just enjoy them and hopefully they can kick some Miami ass tonight as I would ike nothing better then to see Miami get the hell out of here with their tail between their legs. Go Spurs and BELIEVE!!

Manutrix
06-17-2013, 03:22 AM
bump

Hello

:lights cig:

Guys, if you want, you can let Poop know that for more advice he can reach me directly at [email protected]

:hat

freetiago
06-17-2013, 03:33 AM
People have been making threads about this since last year
the only real problem is you dont really want to bench DGreen since he fits really well with the starters or Splitter in favor of going small
Ginobili in 2011 started and had an all-star season but still led the bench
just means you have to make early subs

http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=206797

the op of this thread is a true visionary tbh