View Full Version : London Calling

Pages : [1] 2

Avante
06-16-2013, 02:31 AM
1. London Calling

London calling to the faraway towns
Now war is declared, and battle come down
London calling to the underworld
Come out of the cupboard, you boys and girls....haha!
London calling, now don't look to us
Phoney Beatlemania has bitten the dust....huh?
London calling, see we ain't got no swing'
Cept for the ring of that truncheon thing...what?
[Chorus 1:]
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in....hahaha!
Meltdown expected, the wheat tastes so thin
Engines stop running, but I have no fear'
Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river
London calling to the imitation zone...huh?
Forget it, brother, you can go it alone
London calling to the zombies of death
Quit holding out, and draw another breath
London calling, and I don't wanna shout
But while we were talking, I saw you nodding out...hahahaha!!!!!!
London calling, see we ain't got no Highs
Except for that one with the yellowy eyes
[Chorus 2: x2]
The ice age is coming, the sun's zooming in
Engines stop running, the wheat tastes so thin
A nuclear error, but I have no fear'
Cause London is drowning, and I live by the river...huh?
Now get this
London calling, yes, I was there, too
An' you know what they said? Well, some of it was true!
London calling at the top of the dial
After all this, won't you give me a smile?
London calling
I never felt so much alike [fading] alike alike alike

What am I missing there? Hell I could do better than that.

So what is actually going on there?

Venti Quattro
06-16-2013, 02:49 AM
Fuck you, we all know that The Clash sang this song.

Avante
06-16-2013, 02:55 AM
Fuck you, we all know that The Clash sang this song.

Ya think?

I was poking fun at it.

Here are some lyrics

"Ol' 55"

Well my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
As I drove away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,
Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

And it's six in the morning, gave me no warning; I had to be on my way.
Well there's trucks all a-passing me, and the lights are all flashing,
I'm on my way home from your place.

And now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck, freeway cars and trucks,
Stars beginning to fade, and I lead the parade
Just a-wishing I'd stayed a little longer,
Oh, Lord, let me tell you that the feeling's getting stronger.

And my time went so quickly, I went lickety-splickly out to my old '55
As I pulled away slowly, feeling so holy, God knows, I was feeling alive.

Now the sun's coming up, I'm riding with Lady Luck,
Freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks, freeway cars and trucks...

Tom Waits

The Reckoning
06-16-2013, 03:00 AM
Fuck you, we all know that the Eagles sang this song.

Avante
06-16-2013, 03:27 AM
I always look for the mood when deciding on what to listen to. What would I be doing to where The Clash would fit? Don't ease any pains, can't dance to it, can't fuck to it, won't work in a shit kicker bar, far better stuff to drive by.....hmmmmmmm? I can't imagine you're 45 and humming a song of theirs.

I give, what's the attraction?

This is music and nobody here has heard of the guy.

Ohpzg3bExdU

redzero
06-16-2013, 08:44 AM
You can dance to The Clash, even though that's a retarded reason to like a band's music. You have got to be the shittiest "music historian" ever.

You did not need to make another thread, but we all know that you are so starved for attention that you just can't help yourself.

leemajors
06-16-2013, 09:21 AM
So it sucks cause you can't interpret the lyrics?. There is an entire world outside of California, and people in other countries live lives that are different than yours.

ChumpDumper
06-16-2013, 09:40 AM
Stick to the track almanac.

Clipper Nation
06-16-2013, 09:50 AM
OP is a faggot

leemajors
06-16-2013, 11:36 AM
Bo Diddley opened for the Clash in 79 fyi, he was a big fan

mrsmaalox
06-16-2013, 11:46 AM
So it sucks cause you can't interpret the lyrics?. There is an entire world outside of California, and people in other countries live lives that are different than yours.

Yea. If he likes the sound, the musicians are clearly very talented. If he understands the lyrics, it is good music; that's why Motley Crue is on his list in that other thread instead of the Clash-----because the lyrics to "Girls, Girls, Girls" are understandable to him and require obvious talent to write.

leemajors
06-16-2013, 12:13 PM
Yea. If he likes the sound, the musicians are clearly very talented. If he understands the lyrics, it is good music; that's why Motley Crue is on his list in that other thread instead of the Clash-----because the lyrics to "Girls, Girls, Girls" are understandable to him and require obvious talent to write.

:lmao

GoodOdor
06-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Will someone please pink this faggot already?

ohmwrecker
06-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Avante thought he was going to show me up in this thread and, predictably, was a monumental failure.

:lol no one agrees with you about anything

:lol everyone thinks you have shit taste in music

:lol your opinion sucks

:lol "music historian" that doesn't know fuck all about music

:lol wrong about dem Clash

Rogue
06-16-2013, 07:14 PM
tom waits :lol the only tom waits songs I've ever listened to are those he co-produced with my goddess Scarlett, but I gotta admit that dude's 3 times the singer my goddess is. the best 2 songs in the whole album of "anywhere I lay my head" are "anywhere I lay my head" (the title song) and "falling down", both songs with tom waits cover. "no one knows I'm gone" is also one of the better songs of that album, in the same tier with "i don't wanna grow up" and "i wish i was in new orleans". "before my time" is also a good song but not in the "anywhere i lay my head" album

TimDunkem
06-17-2013, 12:31 AM
What am I missing there? Hell I could do better than that.

Well? Go on then. Why don't you write a better song?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 01:00 AM
Yes, write it, record it and sell five million copies.

Then you can start a thread about that.

Avante
06-17-2013, 01:50 AM

It's not about interpretting the lyrics, it's that the lyrics suck.

What does Cali have to do with anything?

Avante
06-17-2013, 01:56 AM
Avante thought he was going to show me up in this thread and, predictably, was a monumental failure.

:lol no one agrees with you about anything

:lol everyone thinks you have shit taste in music

:lol your opinion sucks

:lol "music historian" that doesn't know fuck all about music

:lol wrong about dem Clash

I know tons of people who think The Clash/punk sucks.

So Hank Williams, The Stones, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, The Doors,....suck?

My opinions are shared by those who really understand music.

Want me to talk you to school? I don't care about punk, it sucks.

Totally right about The Clash.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 02:04 AM
I know tons of people who think The Clash/punk sucks.There are many obese people in central California.

Avante
06-17-2013, 02:06 AM
tom waits :lol the only tom waits songs I've ever listened to are those he co-produced with my goddess Scarlett, but I gotta admit that dude's 3 times the singer my goddess is. the best 2 songs in the whole album of "anywhere I lay my head" are "anywhere I lay my head" (the title song) and "falling down", both songs with tom waits cover. "no one knows I'm gone" is also one of the better songs of that album, in the same tier with "i don't wanna grow up" and "i wish i was in new orleans". "before my time" is also a good song but not in the "anywhere i lay my head" album

Tom Waits, now there's talent.

Avante
06-17-2013, 02:20 AM
Well? Go on then. Why don't you write a better song?

Well it wouldn't take much.

I called London
a war was going on
didn't get an answer
nobody by a phone

So I wrote a letter
sent it by mail
people dyin' in London
must be hell

London calling
from across the sea
bombs exploding
London my destiny

guitar solo

I'm on a plane
touchdown soon
going to be in London
before noon

London calling
a war going on

I got off the plane
saw the smoke
London is burning
I'm about to choke

Flames as high as the sky
as a lonely tear
falls from my eye

London is burning
a war going on

guitar solo

I heard my baby
call my name
just before a bomb exploded
and she became a flame

London is calling
London my destiny
bombs exploding
London is history

paste

Why does punk rock suck so bad ?

I think punk rock is stupid , soulless music , god-awful lyrics , it sucks musically and all punk rock bands sound exactly the same , same chords , vocals , poorly written songs and lyrics are even worse (with very few exceptions ) , people like punk because they think it's fun and easy to play , not because it sounds good.

101 reasons why punk sucks

Punk annoys me. Musically I find it boring and unsubtle, but I also hate the elevated sense of cultural hegemony that it's arisen to. Old punks are starting to become part of the political and media establishment in just the same way as the Baby Boomers have been, and I find their lording it over of popular culture really fucking annoying. Has any musical movement had as many books written about it, aggrandising it as some kind of revolutionary force, as punk? For all its revolution punk strikes me as the most capitalist of genres these days, its supposed Situationist roots now completely and utterly lost. I was born in 1979 and punk has never been anything to me other than a distasteful product.

Punk Sucks

Yes, you read that correctly, punks suck horribly. They smell bad, their music is terrible, and most are borderline retarded. You could count the number of good punk albums on one hand, assuming of course that hand had been blown off and only a stump remained. Fortunately, no true punk would give a shit what some idiot on the internet wrote about him, which brings me to the meat of my article.Punk was a movement in the 70's and 80's that, much like most other styles of music, eventually turned into a hilariously bad parody of itself. There are two distinctive types of "punk" when using the word in this context, that of punk music and that of punk ethos. Punk music is the simplest to explain. Punk songs tended to be very short, barely over a minute, and consisted mainly of power chords, incoherent screaming, and sloppy drumming.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 02:29 AM
lol wut

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:31 AM
In defense of The Clash

The members of the Clash were not world-class musicians by any means, but the racket they made was undeniable — the pure, visceral energy and the anger and the commitment. They were raw in every sense, and they were not ashamed that they were about much more than playing with precision and making sure the guitars were in tune. This wasn't just entertainment. It was a life-and-death thing. They made it possible for us to take our band seriously. I don't think that we would have gone on to become the band we are if it wasn't for that concert and that band. There it was. They showed us what you needed. And it was all about heart.

I need some talent involved, I guess that's my problem with The Clash.

My punk playing buddy said almost that same thing about them..."simple shit but they are convincing". It's just that there are just so many better sounds out there.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:34 AM
Their song made sense.

Your piece of shit did not.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:41 AM
You guys get back to your place after a night of dancing and romancing, she's looking fine, you pour a couple drinks. She smiles and then licks her lips, you smile back and say....."how about some music"...she nods, so you walk over to the stereo.....

8gbIal1RnoY

She gives you a big grin then shakes her head, so you try again....

WtfHk2hSlqA

Next morning over coffee she asks you...."you don't really listen to that punk shit do you"....you smile and say,...when I was a kid:hat

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:45 AM
Depends on the woman.

I agree a Fresno fatty might want something more boring and conventional.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:07 AM
Battle of the Bands

zoJYM3krDWQ

or...

htUaHGpCAtg

or..

m8uMDbKKYa4

Come on people how obvious does something have to be?

This is talent....

OzEvVog39Zo

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:09 AM
The best thing about this is you are watching all the YouTubes and still no one watches yours.

Rogue
06-17-2013, 08:45 AM
my goddess on Tom Waits:

One of my favorite Waits (Tom Waits (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001823/)) songs is "Burma Shave". We tried to do that...and couldn't. I asked myself, "What is the essence of this song?" and I realized that I couldn't do it because it's Tom. Tom is the essence.

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
The Clash is one of the best bands ever. Grew up on them. Not only did London Calling the song change tha way I listened to rock, the whole album did. And coincidently, I've been listening to it quite a bit recently. Thirty years after I saw them live. Joe Ely might have a different idea about how they would work in a shit kicker bar. And I've drank, fucked and cruised down the highway to their stuff.

Great fucking band!

hehateme
06-17-2013, 11:03 AM
I dont know whats worse. Avante trying to emphasize his stupidity more and more or kool paraphrasing his love to slam down a 40oz of cock juice.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
06-17-2013, 12:29 PM
Ruuuuudie can't fail!

IronMaxipad
06-17-2013, 01:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=IunpUTdLEig#!

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 02:33 PM
I know tons of people who think The Clash/punk sucks.

That is not surprising. Proves nothing. I imagine the people you know are every bit as boring and ignorant as you are.

So Hank Williams, The Stones, Muddy Waters, Robert Johnson, The Doors,....suck?

When did I say that? A lot of the Stones late seventies stuff is totally punk influenced btw.

My opinions are shared by those who really understand music.

Who? You mean the hundreds of music journalists and writers who unanimously consider The Clash one of the greatest and most influencial rock bands of all time? Not to mention the hundreds of actual musicians who The Clash inspired to pick up a guitar and play music?

You have no deep understanding of music. We've been through this several times. You aren't a musician. You have very limited, simple and pedestrian preferences.

Want me to talk you to school? I don't care about punk, it sucks.

:lmao You couldn't school me on anything. Least of all music. I know shit you've never heard of. You cannot hang with me, homey.

Totally right about The Clash.

You are a fucking idiot.

redzero
06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
It's ironic that Avante used the knee-jerk reactions of people who didn't even listen to the album all the way through, while at the same time claiming that he "understands" music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:18 PM
That is not surprising. Proves nothing. I imagine the people you know are every bit as boring and ignorant as you are.

When did I say that? A lot of the Stones late seventies stuff is totally punk influenced btw.

Who? You mean the hundreds of music journalists and writers who unanimously consider The Clash one of the greatest and most influencial rock bands of all time? Not to mention the hundreds of actual musicians who The Clash inspired to pick up a guitar and play music?

You have no deep understanding of music. We've been through this several times. You aren't a musician. You have very limited, simple and pedestrian preferences.

:lmao You couldn't school me on anything. Least of all music. I know shit you've never heard of. You cannot hang with me, homey.

You are a fucking idiot.

Dude, nobody here has listened to more music than I have and trust me there are tons of artists I could mention you've never even heard of. Some from Texas.

I'm so deep into music I'm drowning in it. My library immense.

There is what sounds good and what doesn't, The Clash simply don't compare with what's good out there.

Also cool this stupid....you're not a musician....actually I do play the harmonica and some slide guitar. Not that that has anything to do with appreciation or knowledge concerning music. I don't make movies but knows what's good.

A fucking idiot is one who ignores all the negativity surroundering punk music. Why do you think that is? Now give me the name of one band that The Clash inspired?

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 03:21 PM
:lol Music historian
:cry "An entire genre sucks because I don't like one album!" :cry

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Also cool this stupid....you're not a musician....actually I do play the harmonica and some slide guitar. Not that that has anything to do with appreciation or knowledge concerning music.Way to shit on your own point.

You're terrible.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:25 PM
:lol Music historian
:cry "An entire genre sucks because I don't like one album!" :cry

I go back to the very beginnings. Wanna talk about the first black grouip to ever record? How about the first rock n' roll record? The father of country music?

Actually my first real intro to punk was the Ramones, a buddy adored them. I tried my best to see what he saw, nope, they sucked.

The Clash simply can't compare with so many other bands with a far more talented group.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Notice how everyone ignores the videos showing us how bad The Clash are compared to others?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:27 PM
Once again you ignore the point and evade the facts. You actually believe that just because you don't personally like something that no one else should either. You are a buffoon of the highest order. Quite possibly the dumbest person I have ever encountered. There is absolutely nothing I could learn from you. We might as well live on different planets.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:28 PM
It's ironic that Avante used the knee-jerk reactions of people who didn't even listen to the album all the way through, while at the same time claiming that he "understands" music.

Why do any of us listen to music at all? Yep, we want to go someplace and it takes us there. Where do The Clash take anyone? It's simply bad music.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:29 PM
I go back to the very beginnings. Wanna talk about the first black grouip to ever record? How about the first rock n' roll record? The father of country music?Those aren't the very beginnings, dummy.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Why do any of us listen to music at all? Yep, we want to go someplace and it takes us there. Where do The Clash take anyone? It's simply bad music.That album took five million people somewhere they liked to go, dummy.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:30 PM
Notice how everyone ignores the videos showing us how bad The Clash are compared to others?

No one is ignoring that you are providing terrible examples of generic, boring, pedestrian music. It's just not worth discussing. Like every youtube video you've ever posted.

redzero
06-17-2013, 03:31 PM
Why do any of us listen to music at all? Yep, we want to go someplace and it takes us there. Where do The Clash take anyone? It's simply bad music.

Stop parroting.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:36 PM
Once again you ignore the point and evade the facts. You actually believe that just because you don't personally like something that no one else should either. You are a buffoon of the highest order. Quite possibly the dumbest person I have ever encountered. There is absolutely nothing I could learn from you. We might as well live on different planets.

So if I said..The Clash are great I love them...hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumb is thinking because someone doesn't care for a particular band or genre they don't know music.

So because I don't like The Clash I know nothing about the origins of blues, jazz, country and rock & roll...right? So out of those 15 big books over there about music I learned nothing....hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to me about the origins of Texas blues, ya know Henry Thomas, Blind Lemon etc, also head over to Louisiana and talk about those jazz origins.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:40 PM
No one is ignoring that you are providing terrible examples of generic, boring, pedestrian music. It's just not worth discussing. Like every youtube video you've ever posted.

Didn't even look at the videos did ya?

So what do you listen to?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:41 PM
Dumb is thinking because someone doesn't care for a particular band or genre you don't know music.

It's not dumb. I can find something worthwhile in any genre of music. You can't because you are limited and short sighted. You fail to find connections music which is essential for anyone who considers themselves an expert. You are a joke.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:42 PM
Stop parroting.

Rank these acts for me....

Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
The Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
CCR
The Eagles

mrsmaalox
06-17-2013, 03:44 PM
So if I said..The Clash are great I love them...hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dumb is thinking because someone doesn't care for a particular band or genre they don't know music.

So because I don't like The Clash I know nothing about the origins of blues, jazz, country and rock & roll...right? So out of those 15 big books over there about music I learned nothing....hahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talk to me about the origins of Texas blues, ya know Henry Thomas, Blind Lemon etc, also head over to Louisiana and talk about those jazz origins.

If that's dumb, then you must be plain stupid because you are thinking that anyone who likes the Clash doesn't know music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:45 PM
It's not dumb. I can find something worthwhile in any genre of music. You can't because you are limited and short sighted. You fail to find connections music which is essential for anyone who considers themselves an expert. You are a joke.

A joke is believing that. Because I have heard everything from Black Boy Shine to The Black Ace to The Black Keys is why I see The Clash as weak and uninspiring. When you've heard great music you know when you're not.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
Didn't even look at the videos did ya?

I don't really need to. Were you paying attention when I said your taste is pedestrian? I know who those artists are and they don't move or inspire me. It's pablum. Uninspiring, easily digestable, old, white guy music.

So what do you listen to?

Everything.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:46 PM
If that's dumb, then you must be plain stupid because you are thinking that anyone who likes the Clash doesn't know music.

What age group do you think listens to The Clash?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:47 PM
A joke is believing that. Because I have heard everything from Black Boy Shine to The Black Ace to The Black Keys is why I see The Clash as weak and uninspiring. When you've heard great music you know when you're not.

So, how would you explain someone who has had a similar experience but has come to a completely different conclusion?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
Rank these acts for me....

Bruce Springsteen
The Clash
The Stones
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
The Beatles
CCR
The EaglesWhat does your track almanac say?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
What age group do you think listens to The Clash?

I would imagine it ranges from anyone who was alive when they started making music to anyone who is currently alive, dumbass.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:49 PM
I don't really need to. Were you paying attention when I said your taste is pedestrian? I know who those artists are and they don't move or inspire me. It's pablum. Uninspiring, easily digestable, old, white guy music.

Everything.

The Black Keys are old white guy music? John Campbell is old white guy music? Dude that is about as stupid as it can get. Old white guy music is Hank Williams. That was totally stupid.

Dude, I do listen to everything that's how I know what's good and what isn't.

You have no idea who Johnny "Slim" Campbell is do you so why lie?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
What age group do you think listens to The Clash?London Calling came out in 1979, so all ages tbh.

Check your almanac.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:50 PM
The Eagles suck. They are way worse than The Clash imo.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 03:51 PM
The Eagles are old, white guy music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:53 PM
I would imagine it ranges from anyone who was alive when they started making music to anyone who is currently alive, dumbass.

You cannot be that fucking ignorant. It isn't real obvious who the target audience is for The Clash, yep those who attend concerts and spend big money on music....kids.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:55 PM
The Eagles are old, white guy music.

The Clash wouldn't make a pimple on The Eagles ass.

Wanna compare hit records?

Dude, you really haven't figured out I mostly listen to black music? You know the ones who pretty much influensed everything we hear today.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 03:57 PM
Which is weird since you're such a horrible racist.

Avante
06-17-2013, 03:58 PM
The Eagles suck. They are way worse than The Clash imo.

See how fucking stupid you are? Think about what you just said.

Here ya go dummy, education is grand.

paste

With seven number-one singles, six Grammys (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Grammy_Award), five American Music Awards, and six number one albums, the Eagles were one of the most successful musical acts of the 1970s. At the end of the 20th century, two of their albums, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Their_Greatest_Hits_(1971%E2%80%931975)) and Hotel California (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Hotel_California), ranked among the 20 best-selling albums in the U.S. (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States) according to the Recording Industry Association of America (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America). Hotel California is ranked 37th in Rolling Stone (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone)'s list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_500_Greatest_Albums_of_All_Time)", and the band was ranked No. 75 on the magazine's 2004 list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[2] (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-2)

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM

It's my opinion, asshole.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 04:00 PM
Notice how everyone ignores my dumbass opinions?
fify

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:01 PM
It's my opinion, asshole.

But when I give mine, I'm this and that and, hahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Eagles were far more successful than The Clash, you do know that right?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:03 PM
fify

translation

Who are The Clash?

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 04:05 PM
translation

Who are The Clash?
I know full well who they are, and they don't suck just because you say they do....

ChumpDumper

paste

Hotel California is ranked 37th in Rolling Stone (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone)'s list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_500_Greatest_Albums_of_All_Time)",London Calling is #8.
and the band was ranked No. 75 on the magazine's 2004 list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[2] (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-2)The Clash are #28.

Thanks for proving definitively that the Clash are measurably better than The Eagles.

ohmwrecker
This and thast?! What?!

Here's the difference, dummy . . . I can accept that just because I don't like them doesn't that other people shouldn't like the Eagles.

:lol more successful

How do you measure success?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:06 PM
London Calling is #8. The Clash are #28.

Thanks for proving definitively that the Clash are measurably better than The Eagles.

School.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:11 PM

paste

With seven number-one singles, six Grammys (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Grammy_Award), five American Music Awards, and six number one albums, the Eagles were one of the most successful musical acts of the 1970s. At the end of the 20th century, two of their albums, Their Greatest Hits (1971–1975) (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Their_Greatest_Hits_(1971%E2%80%931975)) and Hotel California (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Hotel_California), ranked among the 20 best-selling albums in the U.S. (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/List_of_best-selling_albums_in_the_United_States) according to the Recording Industry Association of America (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Recording_Industry_Association_of_America). Hotel California is ranked 37th in Rolling Stone (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone)'s list of "The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rolling_Stone%27s_500_Greatest_Albums_of_All_Time)", and the band was ranked No. 75 on the magazine's 2004 list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.[2] (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-2)

That doesn't say anything about the quality of their music. Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. Were they good?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:11 PM
London Calling is #8. The Clash are #28.

I noticed you ignored all the awards and hit records, why?

Rolling Stone Mg also had BB King ranked as the top three greatest guitarist ever, he can't hold a candle to Lonnie Johnson who wasn't even ranked.

You honestly believe most people would rather listen to The Clash over The Eagles?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:12 PM
This and thast?! What?!

Here's the difference, dummy . . . I can accept that just because I don't like them doesn't that other people shouldn't like the Eagles.

:lol more successful

How do you measure success?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ made.

Wanna talk hit records?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:13 PM
That doesn't say anything about the quality of their music. Milli Vanilli won a Grammy. Were they good?

Hell if it doesn't. So what does it tell us?

johnsmith
06-17-2013, 04:14 PM

Wanna talk hit records?

Lol...then Beiber is crushing it for you nowadays?

ohmwrecker

Because they don't tell us anything about the quality of music.

Rolling Stone Mg also had BB King ranked as the top three greatest guitarist ever, he can't hold a candle to Lonnie Johnson who wasn't even ranked.

You are the one who brought RS rankings as being meaningful, numbnuts.

You honestly believe most people would rather listen to The Clash over The Eagles?

I think that's pretty obvious.

Avante
School.

I agree, I'm going with awards/ hit records, what else is there?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:15 PM
I agree, I'm going with awards/ hit records, what else is there?

The actual music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:15 PM
Lol...then Beiber is crushing it for you nowadays?

There is a perfect example right there, he would be similiar to The Clash, shit music little kids dig.

johnsmith
06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
There is a perfect example right there, he would be similiar to The Clash, shit music little kids dig.

I'm pretty sure this post alone proves everyone's point that you know shit about musical taste.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:16 PM
The actual music.

You are trying to tell me The Clash are more talented? You are fucking looney aren't you?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Awards and hit records indicate popularity. We can all agree that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 04:17 PM
A friend asked to post a YT music video on his FB page for his birthday recently. I posted The Clash's Garageland. He said later it's one of his favorite bands. I had no idea he liked them. He's 25. So there's quite a bit of age range.

One band influenced by them is U2. Last i heard U2 was pretty successful.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM

My kid hates Beiber. Loves The Clash.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm pretty sure this post alone proves everyone's point that you know shit about musical taste.

It's all about mood, we have immature moods and adult moods. The Clash/Beiber -immature moods.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM
Awards and hit records indicate popularity. We can all agree that just because something is popular doesn't mean it's good.

Yo don't sell all those records and win all those awards if it isn't good.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:20 PM

You honestly believe most people would rather listen to The Clash over The Eagles?Your ignoring me didn't last that long, did it?

Was it even a week?

You really are not a man of your word.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:21 PM
You are trying to tell me The Clash are more talented? You are fucking looney aren't you?

It's what you do with the talent you have. The Clash maximized their talent. The Eagles snorted a bunch of cocaine, got fat and lazy and made terrible music for decades.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:21 PM

Wanna talk hit records?Then most of the people in your almanac are dismal failures.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:22 PM
Yo don't sell all those records and win all those awards if it isn't good.

:lol What?! Mariah Carey is good? Maroon5 is good? Justin Beiber is good?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
My kid hates Beiber. Loves The Clash.

My son just shakes his head and grins over The Clash.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:23 PM
My son just shakes his head and grins over The Clash.So much more successful than you.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
My son just shakes his head and grins over The Clash.

So?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:24 PM
It's what you do with the talent you have. The Clash maximized their talent. The Eagles snorted a bunch of cocaine, got fat and lazy and made terrible music for decades.

Give me the name of a hit record by The Clash and I'll give you two by The Eagles.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:25 PM
So?

You didn't mention what your son liked?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:26 PM
Give me the name of a hit record by The Clash and I'll give you two by The Eagles.

I just told you that hit records don't mean shit to me. That argument does not hold water. Try again, stupid.

Avante
:lol What?! Mariah Carey is good? Maroon5 is good? Justin Beiber is good?

Not to anyone who understands real music.

ohmwrecker
You didn't mention what your son liked?

Are you mentally handicapped?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Give me the name of a hit record by The Clash and I'll give you two by The Eagles.And I'll give you three by the cast of Glee.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:27 PM
Not to anyone who understands real music.

So, you admit that record sales and awards mean nothing. Now we're getting somewhere.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:28 PM
I just told you that hit records don't mean shit to me. That argument does not hold water. Try again, stupid.

So The Clash are great, the Eagles suck despite the fact The Eagles sold far far far more records than The Clashm hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

You're getting schooled little one.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:29 PM
So The Clash are great, the Eagles suck despite the fact The Eagles sold far far far more records than The Clashm hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

That just about sums it up.

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 04:29 PM
The Clash were the antithesis to The Eagles. To compare them is plain stupid.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:30 PM
So, you admit that record sales and awards mean nothing. Now we're getting somewhere.

That's not what I said at all, awards and hit records mean everything. That is what the music business is all about, you do know that right dummy?

Way to get off The Eagles vs The Clash, you know you fucked that up.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:31 PM
That just about sums it up.

ZOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMM!!!!!!!!!

ohmwrecker

He has no other point of reference. He is way out of his element. Way over his head. Drowning.

Avante

I agree The Eagles on a whole different level.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:33 PM
That's not what I said at all, awards and hit records mean everything. That is what the music business is all about, you do know that right dummy?

We are talking about music, not business.

Way to get off The Eagles vs The Clash, you know you fucked that up.

ohmwrecker

A whole different level of suck.

Clipper Nation
So then you actually DO like Bieber if you only care about "hits" and awards....

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:34 PM
He has no other point of reference. He is way out of his element. Way over his head. Drowning.

Dude, I just picked any band, wanna compare The Clash to Led Zeppelin instead? How about Pink Floyd? Let's talk The Clash vs Bruce Springsteen. How about vs Bob Dylan?

My element, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I really have to talk about bands you've never heard of? Nobody here has ever heard of.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:36 PM
So then you actually DO like Bieber if you only care about "hits" and awards....

Where did I say anything about..."only"...hits and awards?

ChumpDumper
Dude, I just pick any band, wanna compare The Clash to Led Zeppelin instead? How about Pink Floyd? Let's talk The Clash vs Bruce Springsteen. How about Bob Dylan?

My element, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I really have to talk about bands you've never heard of?Avante, feeling the fail, dusts off the almanac.

ohmwrecker
Dude, I just pick any band, wanna compare The Clash to Led Zeppelin instead? How about Pink Floyd? Let's talk The Clash vs Bruce Springsteen. How about Bob Dylan?

Sure. All of those bands are better than the Eagles.

My element, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!! Do I really have to talk about bands you've never heard of?

Do I?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Where did I say anything about..."only"...hits and awards?Well, how important is it then?

You listen to a lot of bands that are so much worse than The Clash when it comes to sales and hits -- just how much worse are they?

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 04:39 PM
Which doesn't imply better or worse.

Thank God for Joe Strummer. He's more a Dylan/Waits type than Henley/Frey.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Sure. All of those bands are better than the Eagles.

Do I?

You didn't answer my question, wanna compare The Clash to those bands and Bob Dylan?

Dude, for every band you can name I'll name three. Rigt here and right now.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:40 PM
Thank God for Joe Strummer. He's more a Dylan/Waits type than Henley/Frey.

We have a winner.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Joe Strummer is the reason I started playing music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Joe Strummer is the reason I started playing music.

You know how much music I had heard before 1979? Dude, and you know music, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:43 PM
You didn't answer my question, wanna compare The Clash to those bands and Bob Dylan?

Dude, for every band you can name I'll name three. Rigt here and right now.Why?

ChumpDumper
You know how much music I had heard before 1979?We know you ate a lot of lard before we started eating.

gameFACE
[QUOTE=Avante;6670698]Let's talk The Clash vs Bruce Springsteen. How about vs Bob Dylan?[QUOTE]

Actually, Springsteen said he's very influenced by The Clash. So are Pearl Jam, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Chrissie Hynde, Tom Morello (RATM & Audioslave) and Moby. Watch the movie The Future is Unwritten. it will show quite a few people who were influenced by The Clash and don't have to reduce it to a naive "blank" vs "blank" approach.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:44 PM
You know how much music I had heard before 1979?

I also heard music before 1979. I don't care about your history. You can't do anything for me.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Dude, for every band you can name I'll name three. Rigt here and right now.

Yeah, I can do that too. It proves nothing.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 04:46 PM
Where did I say anything about..."only"...hits and awards?
You just said they "mean everything," dumbass....

redzero
06-17-2013, 04:48 PM
So, unless a band matches Bob Dylan as a lyricist, it sucks. The music historian with the bads, yet again.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:52 PM
I also heard music before 1979. I don't care about your history. You can't do anything for me.

Not my history the history of music. And if ya weren't so dumb I'd take you places you never knew existed when it comes to music, trust me. We could start in those mining camps of West Virginia and those whore houses in St.Louis and what they listened to back before the war.

Stay simple dinky dick.

I'd love to see you try and match me band for band, it would get ugly.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Not my history the history of music. And if ya weren't so dumb I'd take you places you never knew existed when it comes to music, trust me. We could start in those mining camps of West Virginia and those whore houses in St.Louis and what they listened to back before the war.

Stay simple dinky dick.

I'd love to see you try and match me band for band, it would get ugly.I'm sure you know about whorehouses, you syphilitic midget.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:54 PM
So, unless a band matches Bob Dylan as a lyricist, it sucks. The music historian with the bads, yet again.

I'm saying there are simply way too many better sounds out there. Bob Dylan just one of many.

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
Yeah, I can do that too. It proves nothing.

So you don't really wanna compare The Clash to those I mentioined, right?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 04:55 PM
I'm saying there are simply way too many better sounds out there. Bob Dylan just one of many.

I love Bob Dylan. I love The Clash. What does that do to your tiny, little, narrow brain?

Avante
06-17-2013, 04:58 PM
I love Bob Dylan. I love The Clash. What does that do to your tiny, little, narrow brain?

Thinking The Eagles (who were far far far more successful) suck is having a tiny, little, narrow brain.

So tell me slick who were Dylans big influenses?

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 04:59 PM
Bob Dylan used to go to Clash shows. Clash bassist Paul Simonon, who's one of the coolest bass players ever, recorded with Dylan in the late 80's. Simonon hasn't recorded with Henley/Frey......

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:00 PM
Thinking The Eagles (who were far far far more successful) suck is having a tiny, little, narrow brain.So Celine Dion is better than the Eagles according to you.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:02 PM
Ok let's see who has balls here.

rank these bands/artists

Bob Dylan
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Stones
The Clash
The Eagles
The Doors
The Beatles
CCR
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Metallica
Aerosmith

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Ok let's see who has balls here.

rank these bands/artists

Bob Dylan
Pink Floyd
Led Zeppelin
The Stones
The Clash
The Eagles
The Doors
The Beatles
CCR
Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young
Metallica
AerosmithSubjective lists mean nothing.

You can go ahead and do it -- it will still mean nothing.

Avante
So Celine Dion is better than the Eagles according to you.

I'm not all that familiar with her sound, ????

ChumpDumper
I'm not all that familiar with her sound, ????Then you know less than I do about music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:05 PM
Bob Dylan used to go to Clash shows. Clash bassist Paul Simonon, who's one of the coolest bass players ever, recorded with Dylan in the late 80's. Simonon hasn't recorded with Henley/Frey......

Bob Dylan swore by old folk singer Woody Guthrie, huge fan of Roscoe Holcomb. So?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Thinking The Eagles (who were far far far more successful) suck is having a tiny, little, narrow brain.

No, it's just my opinion. Being told that awards, record sales and financial success don't hold weight with me and still bringing it up every 2 minutes proves that you are fucking stupid.

So tell me slick who were Dylans big influenses?

Woody Guthrie, Dave Van Ronk, Ramblin' Jack Elliott . . . which influences are you looking for?

mrsmaalox
06-17-2013, 05:10 PM
I'm not all that familiar with her sound, ????

You must not know music.

redzero
06-17-2013, 05:11 PM
:lol "X was a more successful band, therefore X is better than The Clash"
:lol "My friends and family listened to half the album and didn't like it. Therefore, The Clash sucks."
:lol "Here's a list of bands that I like more than The Clash. Therefore, The Clash sucks."
:lol "Awards and placement as one of the greatest bands of all time by multiple music publications only matter when they help my argument. Therefore, The Clash sucks."

Truly, Avante understands music.

ChumpDumper
You must not know music.He knows nothing, although he knows she is better than the Eagles.

ohmwrecker
Bob Dylan swore by old folk singer Woody Guthrie, huge fan of Roscoe Holcomb. So?

Completely ignoring facts . . . as usual.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:12 PM
No, it's just my opinion. Being told that awards, record sales and financial success don't hold weight with me and still bringing it up every 2 minutes proves that you are fucking stupid.

Woody Guthrie, Dave Van Ronk, Ramblin' Jack Elliott . . . which influences are you looking for?

You have read that The Clash really weren't all that talented, right? Now add not as successful, so what are you looking at?

Ramblin' Jaack started off as a Guthrie clone, much like Ernest Tubb starting off as Jimmie Rodgers clone. You sure Dylan mentioned Eliott?

This guy...

8a54Nz6aYYY

Real easy to see the influense.

gameFACE
06-17-2013, 05:13 PM

You suggested a comparison to Dylan and The Clash. They're already connected. Mutual respect between them.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
:lol "X was a more successful band, therefore X is better than The Clash"
:lol "My friends and family listened to half the album and didn't like it. Therefore, The Clash sucks."
:lol "Here's a list of bands that I like more than The Clash. Therefore, The Clash sucks."
:lol "Awards and placement as one of the greatest bands of all time by multiple music publications only matter when they help my argument. Therefore, The Clash sucks."

Truly, Avante understands music.

Come on man you know as well as I do, tons and tons of people think Punk Rock sucks, so why play like you don't?

Rate those bands I mentioned.

redzero
06-17-2013, 05:15 PM
:lol The "music historian" is actually using sales to determine the overall worth of a band. What a shallow faggot. Using his reasoning, The Velvet Underground wasn't good or influential. Oh wait, he already made those claims before!

Shallow faggot with the outlook on music of a 12-year-old girl.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Dylan was also a piano player in a rock 'n' roll band before he started playing folk. He loved Jerry Lee, Little Richard, Elvis and Buddy Holly just like most kids his age. I don't really see what listing Bob Dylan's influences has to do with anything.

redzero
06-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Come on man you know as well as I do, tons and tons of people think Punk Rock sucks, so why play like you don't?

Rate those bands I mentioned.

And I know that tons of people think Punk Rock doesn't suck, so your logically fallacious argument doesn't even apply.

:lol cherrypicking dumbass

Avante
Completely ignoring facts . . . as usual.

You mean facts like The Eagles were the far more succesful band?

What facts?

ohmwrecker
:lol The "music historian" is actually using sales to determine the overall worth of a band. What a shallow faggot. Using his reasoning, The Velvet Underground wasn't good or influential. Oh wait, he already made those claims before!

I'm surprised he knows who the Velvet Underground is tbh.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:18 PM
You mean facts like The Eagles were the far more succesful band?

What facts?Yep, Celine Dion is better than the Eagles.

Avante says it's a fact.

Avante
And I know that tons of people think Punk Rock doesn't suck, so your logically fallacious argument doesn't even apply.

:lol cherrypicking dumbass

So rank those bands I mentioned dummy.

ohmwrecker
. . . waits for Avante's dumb story about how he listened to a Velvet Underground album once and thought it sucked.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:20 PM

Dude, how many times have I mentioned all those old blues cats who only had a handful of records that sold like shit but are considered legends today?

Wrong as usual.

redzero
06-17-2013, 05:20 PM
So rank those bands I mentioned dummy.

Why? What point would that prove?

The next time Avante makes a coherent argument that contains no logical fallacies, non-sequiturs or anecdotes, will be the first time.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
. . . waits for Avante's dumb story about how he listened to a Velvet Underground album once and thought it sucked.

I owned that banana album. Thought so much of it I sold it at a yardsale.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:21 PM
So rank those bands I mentioned dummy.Rank them by what, dummy?

redzero
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Dude, how many times have I mentioned all those old blues cats who only had a handful of records that sold like shit but are considered legends today?

Wrong as usual.

Which just proves my point that you are a cherry picking faggot who only acknowledges record sales and accolades when it helps your argument.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:22 PM
Why? What point would that prove?

The next time Avante makes a coherent argument that contains no logical fallacies, non-sequiturs or anecdotes, will be the first time.

Don't wanna put The Clash at the bottom do you?

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:23 PM

Wrong as usual.

Then why use record sales as a measure at all? It either means something or it doesn't.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:23 PM
Don't wanna put The Clash at the bottom do you?

They aren't at the bottom.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:25 PM
Which just proves my point that you are a cherry picking faggot who only acknowledges record sales and accolades when it helps your argument.

I'm simply talking about the music business. The Clash simply pale in comparison when compared to the realy great bands. They sold less records, made less money. They don't have that large output of great songs.

What are you looking at?

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm simply talking about the music business. The Clash simply pale in comparison when compared to the realy great bands. They sold less records, made less money. They don't have that large output of great songs.

What are you looking at?You left Celine Dion off your list, dummy.

Avante
They aren't at the bottom.

Sure they are.

Are you really that lazy man? You don't watch videos, you can't rank anything. Take some vitamins guy. I'm just the opposite.

redzero
More cherrypicking. Avante is shallow and narrow-minded. He also thinks that posting lists is an adequate substitute for a well thought out opinion.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:30 PM
More cherrypicking. Avante is shallow and narrow-minded. He also thinks that posting lists is an adequate substitute for a well thought out opinion.

I already gave my well thought out opinion.

I only have so much $$$$$ and time I can spend on music. Why would I wanna waste $$$$/time on a band that is far inferior to a ton of better bands? Why listen to The Clash when I could be listening to far better music? Well?

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:32 PM
Notice how it's...oh The Clash are so great, what actually rank them vs those great bands....hell no.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Come on people, The Clash are great for a Punk Band but to try and compare them to the great bands, it can't be done.

I just get done mowing the lawn, it's 105, I grab a cold coke. Sit down to chill, give me a The Clash tune that fits.

This is real music....

GTDI_bghARE

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 05:34 PM
Notice how it's...oh The Clash are so great, what actually rank them vs those great bands....hell no.

Hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!

Come on people, The Clash are great for a Punk Band but to try and compare them to the greart bands, it can't be done.Your list is shit without Celine Dion.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Are you really that lazy man? You don't watch videos, you can't rank anything. Take some vitamins guy. I'm just the opposite.

It's not laziness, fatty. It's a refusal to participate in your inane bullshit.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:47 PM
The Clash are great.

/thread

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:52 PM
It's not laziness, fatty. It's a refusal to participate in your inane bullshit.

Let's see...

you..I don't watch any videos, I won't rank anything, I know The Clash were less successful than most the great bands, but....they are great!!!!!!!

Hahahaahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dude, you don't know shit about music. Here I sit totally surrounded by everything from Blind Mamie Forehand to The Black Keys. You haven't shown me anything, nothing, zero!!!!!!!!!!!!

I ought to school you on Texas music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 05:53 PM
/thread

Funny when you're 12.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 05:56 PM
You keep mentioning The Black Keys . . . Are you trying to convey that you are still hip for an fat, old, white guy? Who cares?

Avante
06-17-2013, 06:01 PM
You keep mentioning The Black Keys . . . Are you trying to convey that you are still hip for an fat, old, white guy? Who cares?

Do I really have to rattle off a few 100 current bands I listen to? I just mentioned the Black Keys because you have never heard any of the others.

Dude, it all starts with them old black blues I thought I made that clear? I have far more black music than white. Wanna talk them old primitive blues? You can't can you?

Little faggot getting his ass kicked.

Here ya go midget, new to you.

a1qSP03dipg

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Do I really have to rattle off a few 100 current bands I listen to?

Please don't.

I just mentioned the Black Keys because uou have never heard any of the others.

I may have, I may have not. More than likely, I won't give a shit.

Dude, it all starts with them old black blues I thought I masde that clear? I have far more black music than white. Wanna talk them old primitive blues? You can't can you?

I could hang, but I don't like you. You only want to talk about the blues because you can't talk about anything else. You are stupid, obtuse and a racist.

Avante
06-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Please don't.

I may have, I may have not. More than likely, I won't give a shit.

I could hang, but I don't like you. You only want to talk about the blues because you can't talk about anything else. You are stupid, obtuse and a racist.

Trust me slick, you can't hang...ok? It would be comical you trying, trust me.

Well if not them old blues how about..

The origins of....

Country
White blues
Rock & Roll
Folk
Gospel
R&B
Jazz
Soul
Rockabilly
Western Swing
British Blues

....well?

Come on faggot put up or shut up, cool the tap dance bullshit. You don't know shit.

Talk to me about Dock Boggs. Ever heard of Emmett Miller, of course not.

ohmwrecker
06-17-2013, 06:18 PM
Trust me slick, you can't hang...ok? It would be comical you trying, trust me.

Well if not them old blues how about..

The origins of....

Country
White blues
Rock & Roll
Folk
Gospel
R&B
Jazz
Soul
Rockabilly
Western Swing
British Blues

....well?

I would kill you in any of these . . . but some other time. I've wasted enough time on you today. I got shit to do.

Also, I don't beieve you are capable of having a civil, mutually respectful discussion, so until you can prove that you can, don't expect much concession from me.

Avante
06-17-2013, 06:24 PM
I would kill you in any of these . . . but some other time. I've wasted enough time on you today. I got shit to do.

Also, I don't beieve you are capable of having a civil, mutually respectful discussion, so until you can prove that you can, don't expect much concession from me.

Talk is cheap, you don't see me....well I coulda/woulda/shoulda...do we, that's you. I have all the info little guy, plus the music. You will get your ass totally kicked, trust me.

Watch that little shit run, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Dude has no idea what he's up against, none~~~~~~~~~~

Queen of those British Blues

PGmFTQsArb8

So who is she sitting with?

Avante
06-17-2013, 06:36 PM
All that because I don't like a band...hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

redzero
06-17-2013, 06:45 PM
All that because your overly simplistic and childish reasons for not liking a band.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Do I really have to rattle off a few 100 current bands I listen to?Yes!

Do it!

I dare you.

You can't do it!

Viva Las Espuelas
06-17-2013, 06:48 PM
tbh, the clash suck shit.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
All that because I don't like a band...hahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

All that because you're a fatass with shit takes and no debate skills whatsoever, tbh.....

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:06 PM
All that because you're a fatass with shit takes and no debate skills whatsoever, tbh.....

Try me midget, yep me vs you in any debate you want to have. I will leave you a bloody mess.

Go ahead faggot sell The Clash to me. I bet you've never even heard them have you?

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
All that because your overly simplistic and childish reasons for not liking a band.

How complex can...they sound like shit....be?

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
There's no point in debating with you because, as you've demonstrated every single day on here, your only tactics are to make meaningless lists and cling to logical fallacies, tbh.....

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
tbh, the clash suck shit.

Ya reckon?

Shit lyrics, subpar vocals, average at best music.

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:09 PM
There's no point in debating with you because, as you've demonstrated every single day on here, your only tactics are to make meaningless lists and cling to logical fallacies, tbh.....

Don't even know who The Clash are do ya faggot?

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Don't even know who The Clash are do ya faggot?

I know exactly who The Clash are, doesn't mean I have to agree with you on their quality, tbh....

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:12 PM
I know exactly who The Clash are, doesn't mean I have to agree with you on their quality, tbh....

Like I said sell me The Clash, I need to listen to them because.............

Put up or shut up, you actually try to debate anything, hahahaha!!!!!!!!!!!!

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:35 PM
Bottom line....

I was in high school in the 60's, as everyone knows the most dramatic change from one decade to another. The music was amazing, all those legendary bands. But I started out listening to Hank Williams and country music. After HS I started really geting into history of things, that's when I found them old blues.

Prior to 1979 and The Clash I 'd been listening to all that great stuff from all those legendary rockers, country, bluesmen. Now what chance does a band as inept as The Clash going to stand? Al those shit vocals, shit lyrics shit guitar playing. There was no attraction there for me, it was very obvious the band was bad. The reason being I'd spent 20 years or so listening to far better stuff. Hell, Ray Charles and Frank Sinatra on a whole different level than...The Clash.

If you're some kid with anti-establishment thoughts and ideas and really don't care about talent sure,...The Clash....would work. But you soon out grow that.

If you like the band I'm guessing you hadn't heard that much stuff before them, well I had.

Clipper Nation
06-17-2013, 07:36 PM
There's no point selling you on a band you have no intention of liking.... not to mention, as a hip-hop head, I really don't care that much about The Clash....

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
There's no point selling you on a band you have no intention of liking.... not to mention, as a hip-hop head, I really don't care that much about The Clash....

How is it I already knew that? I bet you haven't ever heard London Calling....right? Ok then talk to me about Keith Cowboy.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
Try me midget, yep me vs you in any debate you want to have. I will leave you a bloody mess.

Go ahead faggot sell The Clash to me. I bet you've never even heard them have you?What is with all the bigotry dude?

It's just a music opinion. Anyone else's counts just as much as yours.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 07:52 PM
How is it I already knew that? I bet you haven't ever heard London Calling....right? Ok then talk to me about Keith Cowboy.Why do you want to change the subject.

CuckingFunt
06-17-2013, 08:46 PM

No.

But I noticed how I responded directly to your comparisons in the other thread and how you completely ignored my responses.

CuckingFunt
06-17-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm going with awards/ hit records, what else is there?

... said the learned music historian.

CuckingFunt
06-17-2013, 09:10 PM

Not fair.

I had much better taste in a wider variety of music when I was 12 years old than Avante does now.

ChumpDumper
06-17-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm still waiting for Avante's almanac list of 100s of bands he is currently listening to.

I told you he couldn't do it!

CuckingFunt
06-17-2013, 09:17 PM
How complex can...they sound like shit....be?

"They sound like shit" isn't complex at all. That's why everyone has suggested you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

Avante
06-17-2013, 11:39 PM
"They sound like shit" isn't complex at all. That's why everyone has suggested you don't know what the fuck you're talking about.

What else is there to talk about besides lyrics/vocals/music? The Clash are weak in all three of those.

So tell me why you think they are a great band, would love to see this.

Do me a favor, ok? Actually watch these, ok?

This is a great song?

dSl0w5Cqj-Y

Now compare that to this.

wr6c7c_gP6g

Avante
06-18-2013, 12:18 AM
Not fair.

I had much better taste in a wider variety of music when I was 12 years old than Avante does now.

Care to try and prove that? Today it's been...

Nina Simone
Lucinda Williams
Grace Jones
Harry Manx

How about you?

Avante
06-18-2013, 12:19 AM
... said the learned music historian.

Obviously talking about the current music business.

Where's The Clash?

List of best-selling music artists in the United StatesFrom Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#mw-navigation), search (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#p-search)
This is the list of the top 100 best-selling music artists in the United States (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/United_States) only based on certifications (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Music_recording_sales_certification) of albums by the RIAA (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/RIAA).[1] (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-1) (The list may contain more than 100, when the final slot is a tie.)
The RIAA does not deal in sales of albums, only certifications of shipped units. Therefore this best-selling list is based on total accumulated certifications given per artist and may not reflect the true physical sales obtained by these artists.
The RIAA began its certifications in 1958. This list; therefore, excludes artists like Bing Crosby (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bing_Crosby) whose sales in the 1930s-1950s were not certified. The list also excludes certifications of albums recorded by artists in collaboration with others as part of a singular artist or group's total.

Number
Name
Nationality
Years Active
Genre
Certification
in millions

The Beatles (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Beatles)
UK (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/United_Kingdom)
60s
Rock / Pop

Elvis Presley (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Elvis_Presley)
U.S. (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/United_States_of_America)
50s-70s
Rock and roll / Pop / Country / Gospel

Garth Brooks (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Garth_Brooks)
U.S.
80s-10s
Country

Led Zeppelin (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Led_Zeppelin)
UK
60s-80s
Hard rock / Heavy Metal / Blues rock / Folk rock

Eagles (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Eagles_(band))
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock / Country rock

Billy Joel (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Billy_Joel)
U.S.
70s-00s
Rock

Pink Floyd (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Pink_Floyd)
UK
60s-90s
Progressive rock / Psychedelic rock / Space rock

Elton John (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Elton_John)
UK
60s-10s
Pop / Rock

Barbra Streisand (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Barbra_Streisand)
U.S.
60s-10s
Pop

AC/DC (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/AC/DC)
Australia (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Australia)/UK
70s-10s
Hard rock

Michael Jackson (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Michael_Jackson)
U.S.
70s-00s
Pop / R&B / Rock / Soul / Dance

George Strait (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/George_Strait)
U.S.
80s-10s
Country

Aerosmith (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Aerosmith)
U.S.
70s-10s
Hard rock / Heavy Metal / Blues rock

The Rolling Stones (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Rolling_Stones)
UK
60s-10s
Rock / Blues rock

Bruce Springsteen (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bruce_Springsteen)
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock / Folk

Madonna (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Madonna_(entertainer))
U.S.
80s-10s
Pop / Dance

Mariah Carey (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Mariah_Carey)
U.S.
90s-10s
R&B / Pop / Hip-Hop

Metallica (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Metallica)
U.S.
80s-10s
Thrash Metal (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Thrash_Metal)

Whitney Houston (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Whitney_Houston)
U.S.
80s-10s
R&B/Pop

Van Halen (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Van_Halen)
U.S.
70s-10s
Hard rock

U2 (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/U2)
Ireland (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland)
70s-10s
Rock

Kenny Rogers (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Kenny_Rogers)
U.S.
50s-00s
Pop / Rock / Country

Celine Dion (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Celine_Dion)
Canada (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Canada)
80s-10s
Pop

Fleetwood Mac (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Fleetwood_Mac)
UK/U.S.
60s-00s
Rock

Neil Diamond (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Neil_Diamond)
U.S.
60s-10s
Pop

Shania Twain (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Shania_Twain)
Canada
90s-10s
Pop country

Kenny G (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Kenny_G)
U.S.
80s-10s
Smooth Jazz

Journey (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Journey_(band))
U.S.
70s-10s
Pop / Rock

Alabama (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Alabama_(band))
U.S.
70s-10s
Country rock

Guns N' Roses (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Guns_N%27_Roses)
U.S.
80s-10s
Hard rock / Heavy Metal

Santana (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Santana_(band))
Mexico (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Mexico)/U.S.
60s-10s
Latin / Rock

Alan Jackson (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Alan_Jackson)
U.S.
80s-10s
Country

Eric Clapton (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Eric_Clapton)
UK
60s-10s
Blues / Blues rock / Rock

Bob Seger (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bob_Seger)
U.S.
60s-00s
Rock

Reba McEntire (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Reba_McEntire)
U.S.
70s-10s
Country

Prince (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Prince_(musician))
U.S.
70s-10s
R&B / Rock / Funk

Chicago (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Chicago_(band))
U.S.
60s-00s
Pop / Rock

Simon and Garfunkel (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Simon_and_Garfunkel)
U.S.
60s-70s
Folk / Pop

2Pac (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Tupac_Shakur)
U.S.
90s
Hip-Hop/Rap

Rod Stewart (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rod_Stewart)
UK
60s-10s
Pop / Rock

Foreigner (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Foreigner_(band))
U.S./UK
70s-10s
Rock

Bob Dylan (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bob_Dylan)
U.S.
60s-10s
Folk / Rock

Backstreet Boys (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Backstreet_Boys)
U.S.
90s-10s
Pop / Dance

Tim McGraw (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Tim_McGraw)
U.S.
90s-10s
Country

Def Leppard (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Def_Leppard)
UK
70s-00s
Hard rock / Heavy Metal

Willie Nelson (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Willie_Nelson)
U.S.
50s-10s
Country

Eminem (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Eminem)
U.S.
90s-10s
Hip-Hop/Rap

Queen (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Queen_(band))
UK
70s-00s
Pop rock / Hard rock

Britney Spears (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Britney_Spears)
U.S.
90s-10s
Pop / Dance

Bon Jovi (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bon_Jovi)
U.S.
80s-10s
Hard Rock / Glam Metal

Phil Collins (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Phil_Collins)
UK
70s-10s
Pop / R&B

R. Kelly (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/R._Kelly)
U.S.
90s-10s
R&B / Soul

James Taylor (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/James_Taylor)
U.S.
60s-10s
Folk / Pop

John Denver (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/John_Denver)
U.S.
60s-90s
Pop / Country

The Doors (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Doors)
U.S.
60s-70s
Rock / Psychedelic Rock

Dave Matthews Band (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Dave_Matthews_Band)
U.S.
90s-10s
Rock

Pearl Jam (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Pearl_Jam)
U.S.
90s-00s
Grunge / Alternative rock

Boston (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Boston_(band))
U.S.
70s-00s
Rock / Hard rock

Dixie Chicks (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Dixie_Chicks)
U.S.
80s-00s
Country / Country pop

Linda Ronstadt (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Linda_Ronstadt)
U.S.
60s-00s
Rock / Folk / Country

Tom Petty (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Tom_Petty)
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock

Ozzy Osbourne (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Ozzy_Osbourne)
UK
60s-10s
Heavy metal / Hard Rock

Mannheim Steamroller (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Mannheim_Steamroller)
U.S.
70s-10s
New Age / Christmas

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Tom_Petty_and_the_Heartbreakers)
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock

'N Sync (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/%27N_Sync)
U.S.
90s-00s
Pop

Michael Bolton (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Michael_Bolton)
U.S.
80s-10s
Pop

Lynyrd Skynyrd (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Lynyrd_Skynyrd)
U.S.
60s-00s
Southern rock

John Mellencamp (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/John_Mellencamp)
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock

Brooks & Dunn (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Brooks_%26_Dunn)
U.S.
90s-00s
Country

Barry Manilow (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Barry_Manilow)
U.S.
70s-10s
Pop

Boyz II Men (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Boyz_II_Men)
U.S.
90s-00s
R&B

Frank Sinatra (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Frank_Sinatra)
U.S.
30s-90s
Traditional pop

Jay-Z (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Jay-Z)
U.S.
80s-10s
Hip-Hop/Rap

Enya (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Enya)
Ireland
80s-00s
New Age / Celtic

Bee Gees (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bee_Gees)
UK/Australia
60s-00s
Disco

Janet Jackson (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Janet_Jackson)
U.S.
80s-10s
R&B / Pop

Creedence Clearwater Revival (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Creedence_Clearwater_Revival)
U.S.
60s-70s
Country / Rock

Faith Hill (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Faith_Hill)
U.S.
90s-00s
Country

Kenny Chesney (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Kenny_Chesney)
U.S.
90s-10s
Country

Rush (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Rush_(band))
Canada
70s-10s
Hard rock / Progressive rock

Nirvana (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Nirvana_(band))
U.S.
80s-90s
Grunge / Alternative rock

ZZ Top (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/ZZ_Top)
U.S.
70s-00s
Rock / Blues rock / Hard rock

Luther Vandross (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Luther_Vandross)
U.S.
60s-00s
R&B

Creed (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Creed_(band))
U.S.
90s-00s
Post-grunge / Hard rock

The Carpenters (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Carpenters)
U.S.
60s-80s
Pop

Steve Miller Band (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Steve_Miller_Band)
U.S.
60s-10s
Rock

Toby Keith (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Toby_Keith)
U.S.
90s-10s
Country

Vince Gill (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Vince_Gill)
U.S.
70s-00s
Country

Green Day (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Green_Day)
U.S.
80s-10s
Punk Rock / Pop Punk / Alternative Rock

Earth, Wind & Fire (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Earth,_Wind_%26_Fire)
U.S.
70s-10s
Funk / R&B / Disco

The Cars (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Cars)
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock / New wave

Kid Rock (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Kid_Rock)
U.S.
90s-10s
Rock / Rap / Country

Mötley Crüe (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/M%C3%B6tley_Cr%C3%BCe)
U.S.
80s-00s
Hard rock / Heavy Metal

Sade (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Sade_(band))
UK
80s-10s
R&B / Pop

Jimmy Buffett (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Jimmy_Buffett)
U.S.
60s-10s
Rock / Pop / Country

Lionel Richie (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Lionel_Richie)
U.S.
60s-10s
Soul / R&B / Pop

Red Hot Chili Peppers (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Red_Hot_Chili_Peppers)
U.S.
80s-10s
Funk rock / Alt rock

The Police (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Police)
UK
70s-80s
Pop / New wave

Jimi Hendrix (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Jimi_Hendrix)
U.S.
60s-70s
Psychedelic rock

Usher (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Usher_(entertainer))
U.S.
90s-10s
R&B / Pop

Heart (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Heart_(band))
U.S.
70s-10s
Rock

The Beach Boys (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/The_Beach_Boys)
U.S.
60s-10s
Pop / Surf rock

References[edit (http://www.spurstalk.com/w/index.php?title=List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States&action=edit&section=1)]

^ (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_ref-1) 'Top Artists' web page at RIAA.co (http://www.riaa.com/goldandplatinum.php?content_selector=top-selling-artists)

See also[edit (http://www.spurstalk.com/w/index.php?title=List_of_best-selling_music_artists_in_the_United_States&action=edit&section=2)]

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 12:47 AM
What else is there to talk about besides lyrics/vocals/music? The Clash are weak in all three of those.

You have mentioned all three of those things, repeatedly, but you have yet to discuss any of them even once. Saying they're weak is not the same as showing their weakness.

And, before you bother, no, posting YouTubes does not show their weakness. Especially when you're talking to a crowd who is already familiar with and fond of all of the Clash videos you're posting.

So tell me why you think they are a great band, would love to see this.

Joe Strummer was a great frontman who brought to the band a tremendous depth of musical knowledge and influences from a wide range of genres. Their lyrics are incredibly smart and fully engaged in the politics of their time. Bringing in elements of reggae, ska, and rockabilly, among other things, their music managed a balance of hard edges and fun/catchy instrumentation that exemplifies my favorite versions of punk.

I could go on, but I won't bother. None of this will change your mind. Nor is it meant to, as your personal taste is just as valid as anyone else's.

Do me a favor, ok? Actually watch these, ok?

This is a great song?

dSl0w5Cqj-Y

I think so, yes. One of my favorites, in fact.

Now compare that to this.

wr6c7c_gP6g

Johnny Lang isn't untalented as a musician, but I find that song, and all of watered down modern blues, to be completely boring. The lyrics are insipid, the music/arrangement are wholly uninspired. It's nothing I would ever choose to listen to.

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 12:52 AM
Care to try and prove that? Today it's been...

Nina Simone
Lucinda Williams
Grace Jones
Harry Manx

How about you?

Are you asking me what I've listened to today? Can't remember everyone, but it included:

Los Zafiros
Sam Cooke
Stompy Jones
Squirrel Nut Zippers
Screamin' Jay Hawkins
The Cats and the Fiddle
Louis Armstrong
Louis Prima
Sam Butera
Kay Starr
Cab Calloway
The Boswell Sisters
Gnarls Barkley
Norah Jones
Dean Martin
Otis Redding
Louis Jordan
Django Reinhardt
and Queens of the Stone Age

Not that that proves anything.

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 12:54 AM
Where's The Clash?

List of best-selling music artists in the United States

Doesn't matter how many lists you post or where you find them, quantitative evidence does nothing to support a qualitative argument.

Avante
06-18-2013, 12:59 AM
You have mentioned all three of those things, repeatedly, but you have yet to discuss any of them even once. Saying they're weak is not the same as showing their weakness.

And, before you bother, no, posting YouTubes does not show their weakness. Especially when you're talking to a crowd who is already familiar with and fond of all of the Clash videos you're posting.

Joe Strummer was a great frontman who brought to the band a tremendous depth of musical knowledge and influences from a wide range of genres. Their lyrics are incredibly smart and fully engaged in the politics of their time. Bringing in elements of reggae, ska, and rockabilly, among other things, their music managed a balance of hard edges and fun/catchy instrumentation that exemplifies my favorite versions of punk.

I could go on, but I won't bother. None of this will change your mind. Nor is it meant to, as your personal taste is just as valid as anyone else's.

I think so, yes. One of my favorites, in fact.

Johnny Lang isn't untalented as a musician, but I find that song, and all of watered down modern blues, to be completely boring. The lyrics are insipid, the music/arrangement are wholly uninspired. It's nothing I would ever choose to listen to.

Their lyrics simply don't register with anyone over 21, all that rebellious shit is outgrown once you start making serious $$$$$$$$$. Joe Strummer is not a great singer, he has limited range and pales in comparison to most lead singers in the top flight bands. Any bar band/garage band can match The Clash when it comes to musical skills.

The thing with Lang vs The Clash is he simply sounded better.

Avante
06-18-2013, 01:02 AM
Doesn't matter how many lists you post or where you find them, quantitative evidence does nothing to support a qualitative argument.

Well when you are bragging about a band and we don't see them among the best, what's that tell you?

Let's look at your list vs what I could have listened to

Los Zafiros....Leo Kottle
Sam Cooke...Nat King Cole
Stompy Jones....Sticks McGree
Squirrel Nut Zippers....Nashville Jug Band
Screamin' Jay Hawkins....Little Richard
The Cats and the Fiddle....They really are cool
Louis Armstrong....Jellyroll Morton
Louis Prima...Frank Sinatra
Sam Butera...Sam Hopkins
Kay Starr...Koko Taylor
Cab Calloway....Cow Cow Davenport
The Boswell Sisters...The Carter Family
Gnarls Barkley....Boweavil Jackson
Norah Jones....Lucinda Williams
Dean Martin...Leonard Cohen
Otis Redding...Al Green
Louis Jordan....Jay McShann
Django Reinhardt...Eddie Lang
and Queens of the Stone Age....Chronic Tendancies

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Well when you are bragging about a band and we don't see them among the best, what's that tell you?

We did see them among the best, though.

At least, we did until it was pointed out to you and you reacted by changing your definition of "best."

Avante
06-18-2013, 01:12 AM
We did see them among the best, though.

At least, we did until it was pointed out to you and you reacted by changing your definition of "best."

We saw what one magazine thought. A magazine that ranked Robert Johnson among the top 10 guitarists of all time and didn't even mention the far superior Lonnie Johnson. If you know music you know where Lonnie Johnson should be.

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Let's look at your list vs what I could have listened to

Los Zafiros....Leo Kottle
Sam Cooke...Nat King Cole
Stompy Jones....Sticks McGree
Squirrel Nut Zippers....Nashville Jug Band
Screamin' Jay Hawkins....Little Richard
The Cats and the Fiddle....They really are cool
Louis Armstrong....Jellyroll Morton
Louis Prima...Frank Sinatra
Sam Butera...Sam Hopkins
Kay Starr...Koko Taylor
Cab Calloway....Cow Cow Davenport
The Boswell Sisters...The Carter Family
Gnarls Barkley....Boweavil Jackson
Norah Jones....Lucinda Williams
Dean Martin...Leonard Cohen
Otis Redding...Al Green
Louis Jordan....Jay McShann
Django Reinhardt...Eddie Lang
and Queens of the Stone Age....Chronic Tendancies

Wait... what?

I'm sorry if it hurts that I whipped out a bigger e-dick than you, but what exactly is this meant to show? Your challenge was silly enough before it involved a magical fantasy land in which you could have listened to more/more diverse music today than I did.

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 01:20 AM
We saw what one magazine thought. A magazine that ranked Robert Johnson among the top 10 guitarists of all time and didn't even mention the far superior Lonnie Johnson. If you know music you know where Lonnie Johnson should be.

It was the exact same magazine/list that you cited as an authority when it was in service of the point you wanted to make.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2013, 01:22 AM
lol Avante made up an almanac list just for you.

Avante
06-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Wait... what?

I'm sorry if it hurts that I whipped out a bigger e-dick than you, but what exactly is this meant to show? Your challenge was silly enough before it involved a magical fantasy land in which you could have listened to more/more diverse music today than I did.

You seem to think I'm just some blues guy. When in realty I listen to a ton of different stuff. Just not today.

I have actual African tribal music. Blues from inmates in Angola Prison. Cowboy music which is different than country. As you might know there are tons of...who?...when it comes to rockabilly. Now add Tony Allen, Little Willie John, Patsy Montana, Texas Gladden, Hazel Dickens, ton of diverse stuff.

New to you

H0KzsjappIQ

mouse
06-18-2013, 01:58 AM
page 8?

The vato has scoreboard!

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 07:14 AM
You seem to think I'm just some blues guy.

Your mistake is in assuming that I or anyone else here has dedicated even a second of thought to what kind of music you listen to.

When in realty I listen to a ton of different stuff. Just not today.

Then it seems odd you would have chosen yesterday as a day to brag about the music you listened to.

New to you.

You have no earthly way of knowing that. But if it makes you feel better to think I've never heard of Hasil Adkins before, you go right on ahead.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 09:11 AM
You have no earthly way of knowing that. But if it makes you feel better to think I've never heard of Hasil Adkins before, you go right on ahead.

That's his fall back argument when he gets painted in a corner because there's no way you can prove what you have or have not listened to or heard. He can't either. All he can do is make lists and post youtube videos, but he's never shown his depth of knowledge or understanding of music in a discussion. Quite the oppsite, in fact.

Avante
06-18-2013, 01:47 PM
That's his fall back argument when he gets painted in a corner because there's no way you can prove what you have or have not listened to or heard. He can't either. All he can do is make lists and post youtube videos, but he's never shown his depth of knowledge or understanding of music in a discussion. Quite the oppsite, in fact.

I've always found this.....depth of knowledge/understanding of music...rather strange. It's pretty obvious I'm kneedeep into music. It's also very obvious I've heard a ton of stuff over a long period of time. I also know the origins, the who influensed who. Where it all came from. So explain....depth of knowledge/understanding....love to see this. Don't try and tell me unless I can play guitar I can't enjoy the sound.

The videos are me sharing the music. The lists are about turning others on to somebody new to them. I've been turned on the new to me on these boards.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 02:12 PM
I've always found this.....depth of knowledge/understanding of music...rather strange. It's pretty obvious I'm kneedeep into music. It's also very obvious I've heard a ton of stuff over a long period of time. I also know the origins, the who influensed who. Where it all came from. So explain....depth of knowledge/understanding....love to see this. Don't try and tell me unless I can play guitar I can't enjoy the sound.

The videos are me sharing the music. The lists are about turning others on to somebody new to them. I've been turned on the new to me on these boards.

I'm not doubting your knowledge of specific genres of music . . . I just don't know. You haven't exhibited an understanding that I view as deep or varied. All music is connected. You can't just categorically dismiss entire genres of music because they don't fit in your comfort zone. Personally, I don't think what I consider to be a very narrow and limited collection of preferences, to having a expanded understanding of music.

It's fine though, I understand that not everyone is going to like the same things and some people just settle into what they like and get comfortable, stop searching, don't feel it's worthwhile to revisit, or deem something as not worthwhile after a very limited/precursory listen. I prefer it that way. I don't want to be one of those people who view record sales, chart success and grammy awards as an important factor. I'll just use my ears, my heart and my soul.

Blake
06-18-2013, 02:41 PM
The lists are about turning others on to somebody new to them. I've been turned on the new to me on these boards.

you also get all pissy when someone calls your threads stupid, princess.

Why are you such a thin skinned pussy?

Avante
06-18-2013, 02:50 PM
I'm not doubting your knowledge of specific genres of music . . . I just don't know. You haven't exhibited an understanding that I view as deep or varied. All music is connected. You can't just categorically dismiss entire genres of music because they don't fit in your comfort zone. Personally, I don't think what I consider to be a very narrow and limited collection of preferences, to having a expanded understanding of music.

It's fine though, I understand that not everyone is going to like the same things and some people just settle into what they like and get comfortable, stop searching, don't feel it's worthwhile to revisit, or deem something as not worthwhile after a very limited/precursory listen. I prefer it that way. I don't want to be one of those people who view record sales, chart success and grammy awards as an important factor. I'll just use my ears, my heart and my soul.

Dude, have you paid any attention at all to what I've been saying.....all this time? My first love is them old primitive blues, so there goes chart success and hit records. Chart success...?????? I brought that up...obviously...to make the point about band success in todays music business. If we do go there then The Clash do pale in comparison to a ton of bands. Not that $$$$$$ is everything.

You have never heard of.....Kid Cole, Jack Ranger, Louisiana Johnny & Kid Beecher, Seth Richards, Bo Jones and a ton of other old obscure blues cats from the 20's and 30's (don't pretend you do, ok) I have all that old lost stuff. And I'm concerned with chart success? I go with where the music takes me, that old lost stuff takes me back in time, back to old juke joints and dusty Mississippi/southern roads, cotton fields, the KKK, straight razors, being indoors by sundown. A whole other world, that I can only visit when listening to those like Buster Johnson, The Nugrape Twins, Elizabeth Johnson etc.

It's all about mood. Who better to drink beer with in some shit kicker bar than Hank Williams?

I have heard a ton of punk over the years, I know lots of people who like the music. I've heard enought of it to know it's not for me, is that ok with you?

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Blah Blah Blah . . . .

Either awards, chart success and record sales are a valid argument when discussing to value of music, or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
And you've gone back to your rampant, erroneous assumptions and condescending bullshit again . . . already. You are not trustworthy. This is why we will never have a meaningful exchange.

Avante
06-18-2013, 02:59 PM
Either awards, chart success and record sales are a valid argument when discussing to value of music, or they aren't. You can't have it both ways.

Sure you can. It's simply...so who was the more successful? And then...but who do you like better? See how easy that was?

Avante
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
And you've gone back to your rampant, erroneous assumptions and condescending bullshit again . . . already. You are not trustworthy. This is why we will never have a meaningful exchange.

Until it finally dawns on you.....here's a guy who has been into this stuff since the 50's and has a ton of books on the subject along with thousands of tapes/records and CD's.......yep, we will never have a meaningful exchange.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Sure you can. It's simply...so who was the more successful? And then...but who do you like better? See how easy that was?

That's not how you were using the argument and you know it. You were using the chart success, awards and record sales to specically make a case for the Eagles being better than the Clash . . . it's all right here on this thread, bubba.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 03:04 PM
Until it finally dawns on you.....here's a guy who has been into this stuff since the 50's and has a ton of books on the subject along with thousands of tapes/records and CD's.......yep, we will never have a meaningful exchange.

And when it dawns on you that this makes you superior to absolutely no one . . .

Avante
06-18-2013, 03:32 PM
That's not how you were using the argument and you know it. You were using the chart success, awards and record sales to specically make a case for the Eagles being better than the Clash . . . it's all right here on this thread, bubba.

The Eagles are the better band when it comes to success in the music business. They are more talented and that's very obvious. But...better...is all in the ear of the listener.

Avante
06-18-2013, 03:33 PM
And when it dawns on you that this makes you superior to absolutely no one . . .

Superior no, more knowledgeable...yes.

Go ahead man talk to me about those great prewar St.Louis piano players.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2013, 03:34 PM
So why the shit do you spend all your time arguing whether one is better than the other?

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 03:44 PM
The Eagles are the better band when it comes to success in the music business. They are more talented and that's very obvious. But...better...is all in the ear of the listener.

That's very different than what you were saying.

Superior no, more knowledgeable...yes.

No.

Go ahead man talk to me about those great prewar St.Louis piano players.

I've heard a few . . . Peetie Wheatstraw, Speckled Red . . . a few others. I know the style was ragtime influenced blues which gave it that "roll" sound.

Avante
06-18-2013, 03:51 PM
That's very different than what you were saying.

No.

I've heard a few . . . Peetie Wheatstraw, Speckled Red . . . a few others. I know the style was ragtime influenced blues which gave it that "roll" sound.

In my opinion the Eagles are by far the better band and their success backs that up, but....some disagree.

So if I started listening to music in the 50's and have read a ton of books on the subject as well as owning thousands of records/tapes.CD's I;m no more knowledgeable than anyone else......right?

You cannot talk prewar St.Louis piano players without talking Roosevelt Sykes and Walter Davis. Henry Brown and Lee Green also much be mentioned. I thought you said you could hang? How about those early St.Louis guitar pickers?

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 04:05 PM
In my opinion the Eagles are by far the better band and their success backs that up, but....some disagree.

I do.

So if I started listening to music in the 50's and have read a ton of books on the subject as well as owning thousands of records/tapes.CD's I;m no more knowledgeable than anyone else......right?

Not as far as I can tell. Maybe about a few specific things, but not enough to give you the air of importance and superiority that you laughingly carry around this place.

You cannot talk prewar St.Louis piano players without talking Roosevelt Sykes and Walter Davis. Henry Brown and Lee Green also much be mentioned. I thought you said you could hang? How about those early St.Louis guitar pickers?

I am just honestly mentioning what players I have heard that I can recall at this particular time. I'll leave the almanac lists to you.

You aren't interested in a discussion. It's all about proving your knowledge. How have you lived so long without figuring out that nobody likes talking to a blowhard braggart know-it-all?

Avante
06-18-2013, 04:14 PM
I do.

Not as far as I can tell. Maybe about a few specific things, but not enough to give you the air of importance and superiority that you laughingly carry around this place.

I am just honestly mentioning what players I have heard that I can recall at this particular time. I'll leave the almanac lists to you.

You aren't interested in a discussion. It's all about proving your knowledge. How have you lived so long without figuring out that nobody likes talking to a blowhard braggart know-it-all?

Well when you can talk about bands/artists that nobody here as ever heard of....hmmmmm?

I don't brag until challenged, you really haven't figured that out? Didn't you tell me you could school me in all those genres you darkened, well....no you can't. And how you think you can is....???? It goes no further back than where I can with all those those. I go as far back as it goes and you are going to school me....how?

Ever read these books...The Art of Rock and Roll, how about...The Sound in the City? And you are going to school me on rock and roll, hahahaha!!!!!!!!

I can do that same thing with all that music I mentioned, I've done the work. I have the books and read them all.

ChumpDumper
06-18-2013, 04:17 PM
In my opinion the Eagles are by far the better band and their success backs that up, but....some disagree.Their success does not back up any opinion.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 04:21 PM
Again with the erroneous assumptions. We never progress further than this because I can see where this is going and you aren't worth my time. I only want to have a meaningful exchange with someone I respect. Not some fucking clown who wants to dominate the discussion and be condescending all the time. How is that an enjoyable way to spend my time?

Avante
06-18-2013, 04:32 PM
Again with the erroneous assumptions. We never progress further than this because I can see where this is going and you aren't worth my time. I only want to have a meaningful exchange with someone I respect. Not some fucking clown who wants to dominate the discussion and be condescending all the time. How is that an enjoyable way to spend my time?

Just as I suspected, you're all talk and no action. You haven't backed up anything. Trust me little man, you would get totally destroyed if you did have the balls to take me on. So cool this stupid..."I'd school you"...ok? No you would not, hell, you don't even know those St.Louis piano players.

Oh yeah, I couldn't care less how you spend your time.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 05:18 PM
If I admit that you know more about pre-war blues than I do, (which, if you were paying attention, you would know I never claimed to) will you take that as your little moral victory and kindly shut the fuck up about it and maybe give me enough credit that I could intelligently converse on a wide and varied musical topics? If you could do that, there is a possibility, however slight, that we could have a civil, mutually respectful conversation one of these days.

Just for the record, I have no faith in your ability to do any of that because, as you have proven time and time again, you have no interest in a real conversation, but I figured I would be the better man and put it out there. Once.

Avante
06-18-2013, 05:25 PM
If I admit that you know more about pre-war blues than I do, (which, if you were paying attention, you would know I never claimed to) will you take that as your little moral victory and kindly shut the fuck up about it and maybe give me enough credit that I could intelligently converse on a wide and varied musical topics? If you could do that, there is a possibility, however slight, that we could have a civil, mutually respectful conversation one of these days.

Just for the record, I have no faith in your ability to do any of that because, as you have proven time and time again, you have no interest in a real conversation, but I figured I would be the better man and put it out there. Once.

I have no interest in real conversation with someone who can't see my passion for music and can't figure out when you've been into something for over 50 years ya just might know something about it. When you start dealing in reality is when we can talk, right now it's that old internet bullshit you're playing...."he knows a lot of shit I must try and hassle him"....which is immature and childish.

Long time music lover here guy...ok? Read tons of books on the music, have the music.

ohmwrecker
06-18-2013, 05:30 PM
I have no interest in real conversation with someone who can't see my passion for music and can't figure out when you've been into something for over 50 years ya just might know something about it. When you start dealing in reality is when we can talk, right now it's that old internet bullshit you're playing...."he knows a lot of shit I must try and hassle him"....which is immature and childish.

:lol That's not why I'm "hassling" you, fool. Why do you insist on being so obtuse? Are you really this dense?

Long time music lover here guy...ok? Read tons of books on the music, have the music.

Me too. Probably different books, different music . . . it's not a contest.

CuckingFunt
06-18-2013, 08:39 PM

Knowledge that does not include an ability to intelligently discuss the topic in depth is not, and will never be, at all impressive to me. Book knowledge is worthless without critical thinking skills.

And no matter how many times you construct that strawman, no one on these boards, at all, in the history of forever, has ever told you that you can't like the things you like or that you have to like the things you don't. Your continued conflation of what you like and what you know is one of the main reasons people doubt your musical sophistication.

Avante
06-18-2013, 09:36 PM
Knowledge that does not include an ability to intelligently discuss the topic in depth is not, and will never be, at all impressive to me. Book knowledge is worthless without critical thinking skills.

And no matter how many times you construct that strawman, no one on these boards, at all, in the history of forever, has ever told you that you can't like the things you like or that you have to like the things you don't. Your continued conflation of what you like and what you know is one of the main reasons people doubt your musical sophistication.

Once you've made it clear that you are not overwelmed by the lyrics, the vocals or musical skills of a band what more can really be said? I've heard it all before as far as their lyrics go, Strummer pales in comparison to a ton of better singers and nobody could confuse their musical skills to one of the elite bands. How many ways can that be said?

This is good?

bkyCrx4DyMk

This is good.

ZndMjqFNTMo

ohmwrecker
06-19-2013, 02:26 PM
smh . . . Straight To Hell stomps all over that recycled blues rock. You say the Clash didn't do anything new? That Savoy Brown track isn't anything that tons of bands . . . Blue Cheer, Canned Heat, Humble Pie, etc. . . . didn't do before and better. Dud.

You wanna hear an interesting take on "them ol' blues" . . .

XZmZNuzEAvQ