PDA

View Full Version : Rockets: Rockets' willing to pay luxury tax

djohn2oo8
06-16-2013, 08:11 AM
The Rockets’ off-season plans begin with their pursuit of a top free agent, starting with Lakers center Dwight Howard, but they don’t end there.

The moves they hope will come next will be a major part of their sales pitch, a person with knowledge of that part of their presentation said.

The Rockets’ intend to describe details about their plans after signing a free agent, according to the individual familiar with their strategy, including a shift to the pursuit of veterans rather than the sort of young prospects they have collected in recent seasons and a willingness to spend well into luxury tax territory.

Howard and Clippers guard Chris Paul are considered the top players to become free agents July 1. Teams cannot talk to them or their representatives until then.

In addition to the expected discussions about their current roster and coaching staff, the Rockets intend to emphasize that after this season, they will have all of their first-round picks and full mid-level exceptions along with several young assets that could be dealt to upgrade the roster with more veterans.

If the Rockets sign a top free agent, they would be in their

payroll (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=239833#) would soon move between the salary cap and the luxury tax, giving them mid-level exceptions, worth roughly $23 million over four years, beginning next summer.

By going over the salary cap this season, they will be able to offer an exception worth $5.4 million over two years, enough that on a team with one of the top free agents that they could attract the sort of solid backup (http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=239833#) wing they would need after trimming the roster to have sufficient cap room for their free agent pursuit.

The Rockets have already told agents for Francisco Garcia, Carlos Delfino and Aaron Brooks that they will not be picking up their contract options this month. That exception and veteran’s minimums could be used to shift to a much more experienced roster if the Rockets land a top free agent, a plan they will apparently make a significant part of their presentation.

The Rockets have paid the luxury tax just once in the 15 seasons with the system, but according to the individual with knowledge of the plan they will also emphasize that they would be willing to pay the tax to keep a winning team together.

If they exceed the tax, the exception they could use would be worth roughly $10 million over three years, with the Rockets planning to emphasize that even if paying the tax, they would intend to use that exception.

StrengthAndHonor
06-16-2013, 08:22 AM
Rox going all in!

Kai
06-16-2013, 08:29 AM
I should hope so if you want to build a championship team. Wonder who Morey has in mind should we get Dwight. Josh Smith? Milsap? Both would require a sign & trade.

Captivus
06-16-2013, 08:58 AM
At $6.4m for Garcia and $2.5 for Brooks I understand not picking up the option.
But Delfino with just $3m is a risk to me. Per 36 this guy averages 15/5/3. Not bad.
Rockets should be careful not end up having 3-4 superstars and no bench.

djohn2oo8
06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
I should hope so if you want to build a championship team. Wonder who Morey has in mind should we get Dwight. Josh Smith? Milsap? Both would require a sign & trade.

Think bigger. But yeah it all depends on if they even get Dwight.

Raven
06-16-2013, 09:03 AM
At $6.4m for Garcia and $2.5 for Brooks I understand not picking up the option.
But Delfino with just $3m is a risk to me. Per 36 this guy averages 15/5/3. Not bad.
Rockets should be careful not end up having 3-4 superstars and no bench.

they have to make the final move this year since next year they have to pay asik+lin a combined 30M, so they won't have anymore cap space to sign anybody.

illusioNtEk
06-16-2013, 09:31 AM
man how awesome would it be of Dwight and maybe Chris Paul joined Harden

Leon Black
06-16-2013, 04:36 PM
Get ready for Josh Smith Houston.

djohn2oo8
06-16-2013, 04:38 PM
Still thanking Stern that the Gasol-CP3 trade didn't go through,

tee, hee

Leon Black
06-16-2013, 04:41 PM
Honestly though......... this one of Houston's best selling points???? "we're willing to go "deep" into the tax." really Houston??
Not much of a selling point really

spurraider21
06-16-2013, 04:45 PM
Honestly though......... this one of Houston's best selling points???? "we're willing to go "deep" into the tax." really Houston??
their selling point is that they are a better team than the Lakers. the Lakers with Dwight ended up with the same record as the rockets did. imagine the rockets had dwight all year. heads and shoulders above the 2012-2013 lakers. thats their selling point

djohn2oo8
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM

Well Harden is the first selling point. I think they just put this out there specifically to Dwight and CP3 if they really wanted to team up. Not saying they'll get either one.

Rogue
06-16-2013, 07:53 PM
The only NBA team that I know fears the luxury tax more than the Rockets do is the one based in San Antonio. Les has been saying the same since the Yao era but has he ever paid a dime of luxury tax for his team?

whitemamba
06-17-2013, 12:38 AM
http://www.mememaker.net/static/images/memes/1940822.jpg