PDA

View Full Version : START MANU?

tmtcsc
06-16-2013, 10:05 AM
There has been some talk that Pop may switch the lineup to counter Miami's small ball. I hate for other teams to dictate what we do but we allowed Wade to get off early and he just kept it going.

Perhaps starting Ginobili would give him a confidence boost and allow him to get involved sooner rather than later.

The matchups would be:

Duncan - Bosh
Parker - Chalmers
Leonard -James
Ginobili - Miller
Green - Wade

I think seeing Manu in the starting lineup would get the crowd going too. Let's face it, as bad as Manu has been, everyone in this town is rooting for the guy to recover and make a bigger impact. He was awful the last game but he wasn't the reason we lost. We turned the ball over way too much, missed free throws, got out-rebounded, Wade went off and Tony was scoreless in the second half. That's a bad combination.

capek
06-16-2013, 10:08 AM
When Diaw started the 2nd half, I was flumoxed that he wasn't the one guarding Miller, with Green on Wade. That seems to me preferable to starting Manu and completely messing with the rotations.

Rapper
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
I would like to start Tmac than Manu

100%duncan
06-16-2013, 10:15 AM
You want Pop to panic again?

Who'd run the second unit?

tmtcsc
06-16-2013, 10:17 AM
You want Pop to panic again?

Who'd run the second unit?

You'd have to adjust your substitutions to make sure either Manu or Parker was on the floor with Joseph.

100%duncan
06-16-2013, 10:20 AM
You'd have to adjust your substitutions to make sure either Manu or Parker was on the floor with Joseph.

Of course, that's a given.

But messing up with the rotations now might take a hit in many aspects.

-Danny's confidence will surely be affected
-No one can run the 2nd unit when an injured TP and Manu need rest
-Times when Pop panicked before, results not good.

Tho anything that wins us this whole damn shit, I'll take it tbh.

RD2191
06-16-2013, 10:21 AM
:wakeup

Baam
06-16-2013, 10:25 AM
When Diaw started the 2nd half, I was flumoxed that he wasn't the one guarding Miller, with Green on Wade. That seems to me preferable to starting Manu and completely messing with the rotations.

Yeah Pop completely underestimated Wade, it's mindboggling.

Holden_Caulfield
06-16-2013, 10:34 AM
Yeah Pop completely underestimated Wade, it's mindboggling.
mindboggling? lol wut. hes been shitty all throughout except that game. we are all just waiting for manu to do the same. will it be mindboggling then too?

dg7md
06-16-2013, 11:38 AM
Nope.

IMO, only do that if we lose game 5 and we have to try something new for game 6.

mingus
06-16-2013, 12:01 PM
I think with Manu playing as bad as he is it might be a good move. However then you risk Danny Green getting out of rhythm.

ElNono
06-16-2013, 12:05 PM
One of Neal or Manu will start, IMO... It's just unfortunate the Spurs can't dictate the matchups based on how poorly Splitter has been playing. Let's hope the brazilian has two more great games in his pocket for the remainder of this series.

DMC
06-16-2013, 12:46 PM
Tiago needs to start. Else it messes up the rotations. They've all thrown the ball away and been stopped driving to the rim. If Pop sits Tiago to start, that's going to pretty much be the white flag. Our two bigs are why we are even as good defensively as we are. Changing our identity this late in the Finals is risky move, and the Spurs don't do that even during the regular season.

We'll see though, but I think Pop stays with the same starting 5.

DOS CHAINZ
06-16-2013, 12:55 PM
Manu will tire quickly & Pop will monitor TP's minutes bc of his injury. So who's the ball handler when they are resting late 1st & early 2nd qrt? So NOPE.

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 01:00 PM
One of Neal or Manu will start, IMO... It's just unfortunate the Spurs can't dictate the matchups based on how poorly Splitter has been playing. Let's hope the brazilian has two more great games in his pocket for the remainder of this series.

Let's hope Pop gives Splitter the chance to redeem himself. We're going to need him.

jiggy_55
06-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Start Diaw Today. Or roll with Splitter and hope the Brazilian pussy is aggressive and can punish the Heat's smaller lineup!

ElNono
06-16-2013, 01:06 PM
The other way for Pop to play this out would be to move Tiago to Miller (which can't do anything but shoot 3s) on defense. We would still only have Tim defending the rim (much like in a small-ball setup), but at least on offense we could still take advantage of two bigs inside. But Tiago has to play harder, on both ends.

itzsoweezee
06-16-2013, 01:17 PM
The other way for Pop to play this out would be to move Tiago to Miller (which can't do anything but shoot 3s) on defense. We would still only have Tim defending the rim (much like in a small-ball setup), but at least on offense we could still take advantage of two bigs inside. But Tiago has to play harder, on both ends.

The advantage of having Tiago in the game alongside Duncan is on the defensive end. By putting Tiago on Miller, the Spurs would lose that advantage. Offensively, the Spurs are not very good with Tiago + Duncan. San Antonio's hope is on defense. They definitely can't outscore Miami when it plays a small lineup. Tiago's gotta stay in the paint on defense. He can't do that if he's guarding Miller.

DPG21920
06-16-2013, 01:21 PM

Agreed. Tim/Tiago overall are better than West/Hibbert, but with West/Hibbert they were always agressive offensively which Tiago is not. Its been an issue, but all things considered, Spurs have two of their top 6 players (Tiago/Manu) playing poorly and we are still 2-2.

On the other hand, if you told me Green would break the finals record for 3's I'd think we are in great shape (which we are, but still..)

DAF86
06-16-2013, 01:25 PM
Stay with the starting line-up and tell Tiago to grow some balls.

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 01:38 PM
Agreed. Tim/Tiago overall are better than West/Hibbert, but with West/Hibbert they were always agressive offensively which Tiago is not. Its been an issue, but all things considered, Spurs have two of their top 6 players (Tiago/Manu) playing poorly and we are still 2-2.

On the other hand, if you told me Green would break the finals record for 3's I'd think we are in great shape (which we are, but still..)

The reason they aren't aggressive offensively with Tim/Tiago is TP can't find them when they're open.

DPG21920
06-16-2013, 01:39 PM
The reason they aren't aggressive offensively with Tim/Tiago is TP can't find them when they're open.

Sayyyyyy whaaaaaaaa

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 01:40 PM
Start Diaw Today. Or roll with Splitter and hope the Brazilian pussy is aggressive and can punish the Heat's smaller lineup!

I believe he needs to start with Tiago and then go to Diaw if that doesn't work. Bonner is just not going to have much of an effect in this series.

Horry Hipcheck
06-16-2013, 01:57 PM
I'd like to believe that starting Manu would energize him and maybe allow him to find a rhythm early, but I agree with those who point out that the second unit needs a leader. Manu will tire, the rotations will be off, and Pop's going to be watching Parker's hammy like a toddler on a playground.

ElNono
06-16-2013, 02:05 PM
The advantage of having Tiago in the game alongside Duncan is on the defensive end. By putting Tiago on Miller, the Spurs would lose that advantage. Offensively, the Spurs are not very good with Tiago + Duncan. San Antonio's hope is on defense. They definitely can't outscore Miami when it plays a small lineup. Tiago's gotta stay in the paint on defense. He can't do that if he's guarding Miller.

They haven't been great with Tiago + Duncan offensively, but a lot of that has to do with lack of aggression. Our bigs can and should do better. Plus having two 7 footers forces Miami to pay attention to them, and open up the game for the shooters.

Miami's smallball is their bread and butter. It's going to be incredibly difficult to beat them at their own game. The Spurs need to find a way to get them out of their comfort zone.

Obviously, it's easier said than done. They're a phenomenal team.

TrainOfThought5
06-16-2013, 02:28 PM

nothing about this is the real truth.

TheGoldStandard
06-16-2013, 02:43 PM
Too bad Airrosti can't rehab Tiago's lack of a manhood.

DMC
06-16-2013, 02:56 PM
You have to go with your best strengths. That's two 7 footers.

kaji157
06-16-2013, 03:08 PM
If anything, i would start Blair.
He has experience within this starting lineups and has produced countless of wins.
Plus, you get a guy that can on switches take any of the guards-

TheGreatYacht
06-16-2013, 03:12 PM
I believe he needs to start with Tiago and then go to Diaw if that doesn't work. Bonner is just not going to have much of an effect in this series.This.

Try it. If Tiago does something stupid then take him out and put in Boris Diaw. Another option is to start Boris Diaw, have Diaw guard Lebron, and Leonard guard Wade. Tiago can come off the bench as a spark. Diaw starting is nothing new. The Spurs got to the Western Conference finals last year with Boris Diaw in the starting lineup. If Diaw starts to have problems guarding Lebron or keeping him off the paint, then Diaw can guard Miller.

Thanks God I'm not Pop. He has some tough choices to make.

JRHernandez88
06-16-2013, 03:16 PM
START HIM POP

Manu needs some sort of spark. I hate to see him playing the way he is, i know he's 10x better then that. He's second guessing himself right now.

TheRemix
06-16-2013, 04:01 PM
fuck it, start him

dbestpro
06-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Let's see. The choice is to not screw with the rotations, but lose the game or change it up, and win the game. I vote change it up, and win the game.

If Pop starts Manu with TP, TD. Green, and Leonard I bet we will see Manu go off. If Manu has to come in to save the day, he will press, and the results will be no different than the previous games. The change is not to match Miami, but rather to get Manu going.

PlayNando
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Start Nando and good things will happen. Play Nando............................. :flag:

StoneBuddha
06-16-2013, 04:58 PM
I go with the same starting line-up but hope Pop pulls the plug on Tiago quickly if things don't look good. Playing Many more with Tony would be good but it makes it even harder for the second unit to score.

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 06:34 PM
The reason I think Tiago has to start is the defensive numbers. We have to establish our defense and keep the paint off limits for the Heat. That's our advantage. If we give it up to play small they can do it better than us. Splitter's offense is gravy but he helps the team more defensively.

BillMc
06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
MANU will start!

cute_spursfan
06-16-2013, 06:56 PM
no tiago in the line up. good shit

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 06:58 PM
no tiago in the line up. good shit

Yeah let's try to outscore the Heat and see how well that works.

UZER
06-16-2013, 07:02 PM
At this point, I'm like fuck it. Lets roll with it and see what happens.

gnsf0946
06-16-2013, 07:02 PM
not a good move, book it

tmtcsc
06-16-2013, 07:04 PM
I had a feeling...Maybe Manu will appreciate Pop's confidence and respond.

Budkin
06-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Isn't this what we did in game 5 Okc?

Splits
06-16-2013, 07:06 PM
Do not like.

chapnis
06-16-2013, 07:08 PM
Fuck, Pop is panicking

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 07:22 PM
Manu's improving the ball movement. The downside like in game 5 last year is Parker is more passive. Which means we're kind of wasting his minutes right now. Also now who's the backup PG? TMac? The other problem is the defense has regressed and that favors the Heat to outscore us.

100%duncan
06-16-2013, 08:35 PM
Manu shitting on ST again, including me.

Props to tmtcsc for calling this.

SourCandy
06-16-2013, 09:12 PM
Just when you give up on manu...good lord.

lefty
06-16-2013, 09:20 PM
Hehe

ezau
06-16-2013, 09:31 PM
San Antonio bitches eating crow as usual.

dbestpro
06-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Let's see. The choice is to not screw with the rotations, but lose the game or change it up, and win the game. I vote change it up, and win the game.

If Pop starts Manu with TP, TD. Green, and Leonard I bet we will see Manu go off. If Manu has to come in to save the day, he will press, and the results will be no different than the previous games. The change is not to match Miami, but rather to get Manu going.

Bump.

tmtcsc
06-17-2013, 01:04 AM
Manu shitting on ST again, including me.
Props to tmtcsc for calling this.

Except for 2 or 3 people on this forum, EVERYONE wanted to see Manu succeed. The more I thought about it, the more it just made sense. If you're Pop, do you just kick a guy who has helped you win 3 Rings to the curb or do you say "Manu, you get the start, go do what you do"? Now that I think about it, it was a predictable move. That's how Pop rolls, and that's why players love him.