PDA

View Full Version : La Nacion: Manu interview from media day yesterday

ElNono
06-16-2013, 01:02 PM
Ginobili: Mentally I'm a bit more fragile.

SAN ANTONIO.- It's good that Manu Ginobili doesn't read, listens or watch the press during these NBA Finals. The moment is too important, historically speaking, to consume the barrage of critique and doubt that befall on him. Not without justification, in some cases. Even the player from bahia is disappointed. But in the crucial moment it wouldn't be positive to hear the great Charles Barkley -nowadays an analyst for ESPN- say "I've never seen Ginobili so passive", or Jalen Rose underline that Miami "has kep Ginobili quiet", or the HOF Magic Johnson questioning his play or that some other journalist classify his play as "horrible"…

In other times, perhaps the critique would've made him stronger. But, perhaps like never before in his professional career, which started in 1995, Manu is lacking confidence. He's at the biggest stage of the tournament and production is an at all time low. And it swings between anger and hope. Even in that pendulum, he's able to talk with an open heart about his mood swings and the possibility of retirement.

Like he did yesterday, in the extensive media session (about 25 minutes) at the AT&T Center, where he displayed certain anger when he was asked about a phrase from Tim Duncan about him: "We need him to be more aggressive, a bit more selfish".

- It's just you're asked 700 questions, and you just don't know what else to say… Honestly, I have nothing to say about what my teammates say in the locker room. In there we talk a lot, and we all know what the other guy thinks. But give you an opinion on what somebody else said to the media… Besides, I don't know exactly how he said it…

Q: It came out in the reports…

- It came out, but it's not important. It's fine. I understand that perhaps the team needs me to score more, but, it's difficult. Because of the way they defend… well, because of what we talked about a million times now.

Q: How do you feel physically and mentally?

- Physically, I feel great. In this last month I felt better than on the regular season. So that's not a problem. Mentally I'm a bit more fragile. I don't have that all-out confidence I had other times. It happens when you don't play well, when the ball doesn't go in. And their defense help. They're not lax on the ball handler to pressure the shooters, instead, since they're so athletic, they rotate a lot. They have almost two people guarding the ball handler and they make the guy that plays the pick and roll not to have lines to the basket or open shots. We have to move the ball. The talk about being more selfish, it's not about attacking and shooting, it's about being more aggressive and finding the open teammate. But… that's that. Thursday I had a semi-anonymous game, a lot of things didn't work for me, but now you erase and start off anew in game 5, which is almost a life or death game.

Q: Are you surprised to feel like this? You've always been very strong mentally.

- This season the injuries really hurt me, but I didn't think that the problem at this stage would be the mental. No, it's no mental. It's a basketball issue. It never happened to me in this stage, but you have to face it. [a fly goes around] And this fly is pissing me off… [laughs] What's going on? This fly is everywhere!

Q: How do you need to attack?

- I'm going to try to play better overall. It's not about scoring. It's about making better decisions, being more aggressive, more active in defense… If you look at all of us, we all can do a better job.

Q: In difficult times, you always doubled down. Why not this time?

- I've been trying to double down for a while now. It's not like the series against Golden State was easy, or Thursday's game was not important. I always try to play the best. Next game is an even more important game and I hope to be able to elevate my game. I don't even imagine a game where I'm going to score a lot, but obviously I can play a lot better.

Q: It's the last year of your deal. How much longer are you going to play?

- I really don't know. The whole season I thought I could play one or two more years, but when you're about to be 36, everything is day to day. When the season ends, I'll see how I feel. I can see myself playing at least one more season, here, but time will tell. Sometimes I do think about retirement, but then I say "no, no. I really love what I do, and I'm very fortunate to be in a franchise like this one".

Q: Do you think about it from a physical angle or more like a motivational angle?

- During 3/4 of the season it was because of the physical aspect. I would think "I can't deal with this anymore. I'm tired of rehab.". At this stage I'm a bit more optimist. But, it's been 18 years doing this, you know? Sometimes I would like to enjoy more in my house, go back to see my people in Argentina, and then I think about that [retirement]. But I'll have enough time for all that.

Q: Did that thought last you long?

- This year I thought about it a couple times when I was hurt: "I'm frustrated. What for? This is it". But I concluded that I'm going to have plenty of time for the other stuff. Eventually you heal, you feel better, you win a conference finals 4-0, and you think "let's keep this going". Everybody has moments of analysis and weakness, but when the ball stops and you sit down in your couch and talk… I suppose I'll decide to keep playing. That's what I think.

Original article in Spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1592609-ginobili-mentalmente-estoy-un-poco-mas-fragil)

Don't shoot the messenger, and excuse any typos, per par.

Enjoy.

spurs10
06-16-2013, 01:26 PM
Thank you man! That is even more revealing. Manu will play his heart out tonight. He is digging deep...:ihit:flag:

timvp
06-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Tbh, Manu sounds like he's melting down to begin the interview. Then it turns into the Fly Episode from Breaking Bad. Eventually it seems like he settles into a semi-emo state of reflection.

Let's hope this results in a great game tonight.

prayingdog.jpg

P.S.

Thanks for translation!

Spur-Addict
06-16-2013, 01:56 PM
Nice responses to the questions by Paul Pierce.

Spursmania
06-16-2013, 02:19 PM
I've always thought Manu can turn it on in the most important times of a season (historically this has proven to be right most of the time). He's one of the greatest competitor's of all time. But this playoff run has really surprised me. If it's not physical than what what is it? I personally, think it is physical. Frankly, I'm not sure he himself can just turn it on anymore not when his body is 35 years old.

With that said, Manu deserves a great game. He's been a classy Spur and a great guy. No matter what happens tonight, (yes, I'll forgive him after I'm done cussing at him if he turns it over :lol) he deserves our respect and support. His performance must be killing him mentally and he's frustrated as hell. Just let it fly Manu, just let it fly...

pgardn
06-16-2013, 02:26 PM
He is not confident because he is physically not the same player. The bursts of misdirection are not extreme anymore, the clutch 3's don't feel right because the quick lift is gone. Miami is so tough on the ball handlers, I am sure he sees things, but is not physically capable of carrying out a move. This is super frustrating and leads to doubt. H e still sees the court though. He just needs to relax, and not force things because he can't get away with it against this team as easily.

I believe he needs to do the opposite of what Dunan wants. He needs to distribute efficiently, it's time for others to step up like game 3. Manu gets the ball up the court, someone coming off a screen is going to have to create more often. Manu cannot make something out of nothing as often as he used to. Hello Tiago... Come in Tiago... No radio silence from Brazil tonight.

Spursfanfromafar
06-16-2013, 02:29 PM
I don't like this interview at all. Manu seems to be at wits end.

I hope he can channel all his frustrations and turn the years back and deliver a Manu like performance we have come to expect but don't see these days.

All said and done, with all his achievements in the past, he has done enough to be a hall of famer, a Spurs' all time great and all that.

He needn't worry about criticism or media scrutiny any more. Just hunker down and search within to find answers to his woes and get over it with his teammates' help.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Maybe it will help Manu to say this out loud in an interview. I think this may result in a more relaxed Ginobili.

Seventyniner
06-16-2013, 02:44 PM
I don't know if Manu has always been this hot-and-cold emotionally during the playoffs and that this is the first time we're seeing this side of it, or if he really is teetering at the edge of a cliff.

It must be much more about Manu's personal struggles because the team has been doing pretty well all things considered. How can you be that down on yourself tied 2-2 in the Finals?

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-16-2013, 02:50 PM
I don't know if Manu has always been this hot-and-cold emotionally during the playoffs and that this is the first time we're seeing this side of it, or if he really is teetering at the edge of a cliff.

It must be much more about Manu's personal struggles because the team has been doing pretty well all things considered. How can you be that down on yourself tied 2-2 in the Finals?

Well he's probably under the mindset that if he's played well they'd be up 3-1, which they might, but I think Splitter should be under that mindset way more than Ginobili.

mingus
06-16-2013, 02:54 PM
The threes he's taking used to go in. I thought it may have been physical before the long layoff, but with even with that time to rest his legs, his shots still aren't going in. As a result they are not respecting his drive.

I think Pop needs to run plays off of screens at the start of the game as much as he needs to to get Manu open shots. He needs his shot for his drives.

biziofromdowntown
06-16-2013, 03:06 PM
Man, this is depressing... Let me say now i prefer a retirement than another season. manu is clearly done.