PDA

View Full Version : The M107 Long-Range Sniper Rifle

Clandestino
07-15-2005, 08:08 AM
THE GRIM REAPER’S ARM JUST GOT LONGER: The M107 Long-Range Sniper Rifle

The long arm of the U.S. Army just got longer. The Army has just approved the M107 sniper rifle -- which will allow all sniper teams to reach out and touch someone from farther away than ever before.

The Low-Down on the M107

Name:
M107 Long-Range Sniper Rifle

Type of Equipment:
.50 Caliber Semi-Automatic Rifle

Killer Features:

* Can effectively engage targets, personnel and material, at ranges up to 2000 meters
* Fires a many different styles of .50 caliber ammunition
* Semi-automatic feature gives soldiers the ability to engage multiple targets

Barrett Firearms Manufacturing
P.O. Box 1077
Murfreesboro, TN USA 37133
[email protected]
Phone: (615) 896-2938
FAX: (615) 896-7313

By Michael Merrill

Barrett Firearms Manufacturing Inc.'s M107 Long-Range Sniper Rifle has been approved for "full material release." This means that the weapon has undergone full operational testing, been deemed safe to use, and has proven effective in the field.

The M107 is the Army's first semi-automatic .50 Cal sniper weapon system. Soldiers will be able to effectively engage multiple material targets, such as parked aircraft, light armored vehicles, and computers at distances of up to 2000 meters.

The rifle will also serve in a counter-sniper role, effectively utilizing the increased standoff distance against enemy snipers using smaller caliber weapons. The M107 is planned to compliment --not replace -- the M24s that are currently in service, but it is slated to replace all remaining M82A1s that are currently in service with EOD (unexploded ordinance) units as detonation tools.

The M107 was used to devastating effect in the urban fighting during Operation Iraqi Freedom, successfully engaging targets at distances of 1400 meters. U.S. sniper teams noted increased accuracy and range over the M24 (7.62mm), but they also were able to appreciate the psychological damage on the enemy forces when enemy combatants viewed the destructive force of the .50 BMG rounds. Many soldiers have commented that they consider the M107 to have been the most useful piece of equipment used during urban fighting.

The only negative feedback from soldiers in the field was about the Leupold telescope sight. The sight is zeroed for 500, 1000, and 1500 meters. Many sniper teams reported that they had to do some guesswork when engaging a target at an in-between distance, such as 1350 meters. Most believe that an upgraded telescope sight would increase the weapon's accuracy and ease of use.

There are a few of warnings that need to be heeded before attempting to fire the M107. First, it is recommended that a maximum of nine rounds, instead of ten, be loaded into the weapons clip to avoid internal damage to the weapon. Second, this weapon creates a hazardous amount of noise when fired, therefore requiring the use of hearing protection during use. Lastly, even though the M107 is able to fire many types of standard .50 caliber ammunition, specific rounds must go through an approval process before use. For example, the .50 cal SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) round is specifically forbidden, as attempting to fire this round in the M107 will cause serious injury to personnel and damage to the weapon.

Currently, the only planned upgrade for the M107 is a suppressor that will reduce the muzzle flash, noise, and blast signatures.

The Army expects to have the M107 fully fielded by FY08. The Army originally fielded 700 units in FY03 under an "urgent material release" to support overseas operations in Afghanistan and Iraq. The M107 has proven itself to be a very effective asset in the field and will continue to serve and protect our people in the field for years to come.
The .50 BMG in Sniping

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +++++

Legendary sniper Gunnery Sgt. Carlos N. Hathcock II was the first person to ever use a .50 caliber weapon in a sniping role. Utilizing a .50 caliber Browning HMG with an 8-power telescope sight, he set the record for the farthest confirmed kill by a sniper during the Vietnam War, at 2,250 meters.

This feat of field craft by Sgt. Hathcock established the viability of using .50-caliber ammunition as usable and effective for sniper special operations. Sgt. Hathcock’s record was broken only recently in Afghanistan by a Canadian sniper team. The Canadian snipers scored a chest shot at 2,430 meters using a .50 caliber McMillian bolt-action rifle, with a 16 power Leupold telescope sight.

http://www.military.com/soldiertech/0,14632,Soldiertech_M107,,00.html?ESRC=soldiertech .nl

Useruser666
07-15-2005, 08:48 AM
When will Academy have these in stock?

SWC Bonfire
07-15-2005, 08:57 AM
When will Academy have these in stock?

You'll have to go to Cabela's in Buda. :lol

I saw an interesting letter that Barrett wrote to the LAPD swat team. You see, this rifle is outlawed for public sale in California, and some CA law enforcement testified against allowing it to be sold before the state legislature (they actually enacted a law against this rifle). It was a big deal, 60 Minutes did a big story with Ed Bradley, etc. Well, the LAPD swat team has several of these rifles, and one was badly damaged in an accident or something and was sent in for repair. Barrett's response was pretty much that they received the rifle and determined the parts that woud be needed, but they were quite busy manufacturing orders for others and the parts needed for repair might take up to several years to re-create. (LAPD was among the ones who fought him face-to-face before the state legislature) :lol

Also, hasn't this thing been in use for quite some time?

SWC Bonfire
07-15-2005, 09:00 AM
December 11, 2002
Via Facsimile (213) 847-0676 and
U.S. Mail

Chief William J. Bratton
Los Angeles Police Department
150 North Los Angeles Street

Re: LAPD 82A Rifle, Serial No. 1186

Point of Contact: Jim Moody
213 485 4061
Dear Chief Bratton,

I, a U.S. citizen, own Barrett Firearms Mfg. Inc., and for 20 years I have built .50 caliber rifles for my fellow citizens, for their Law Enforcement departments and for their nation's armed forces.

You may be aware of the latest negative misinformation campaign from a Washington based anti-gun group, the Violence Policy Center. The VPC has, for three or so years, been unsuccessful in Washington, D.C. trying to demonize and ban a new subclass of firearms, the .50 caliber and other "too powerful" rifles. This type of nibbling process has been historically successful in civilian disarmament of other nations governed by totalitarian and other regimes less tolerant of individual rights than the United States .

The VPC's most recent efforts directs this misinformation campaign at your state, attempting to get any California body to pass any law against .50 caliber firearms. In March 2002 the VPC caused the California State Assembly, Public Safety Committee to consider and reject the issue by a 5 to 0 with 1 abstaining vote.

Regrettably, the same material has been presented to your city council. I personally attended the council meeting in Los Angeles regarding attempts to bar ownership of the .50 caliber rifle in your city. I was allowed to briefly address the council. The tone of the discussion was mostly emotionally based, so the facts that I attempted to provide were ineffective to the extent they were heard at all. The council voted to have the city attorney draft an ordinance to ban the .50, and further, to instruct the city's representatives in Sacramento and in Washington D.C. to push for bans at their respective levels.

At that council meeting, I was very surprised to see an LAPD officer seated front and center with a Barrett 82A1 .50 cal rifle. It was the centerpiece of the discussion. As you know, there have been no crimes committed with these rifles, and most importantly, current California law does not allow the sale of the M82AI in the state because of its detachable magazine and features that make it an "assault weapon." This rifle was being deceptively used by your department. The officer portrayed it as a sample of a currently available .50 cal rifle, available for sale to the civilians of Los Angeles. One councilman even questioned how this rifle was available under current laws, but as I stated, facts were ineffective that day.

Your officer, speaking for the LAPD, endorsed the banning of this rifle and its ammunition. Then he used the rifle for photo ops with the Councilmen each of whom, in handling the firearm, may have been committing a felony. I was amazed.

Since 1968, with the closing of the U.S. Springfield Amory, all of the small arms produced for the various government agencies are from the private sector. Every handgun, rifle or shotgun that law enforcement needs comes from this firearms industry. Unless the City of Los Angeles has plans of setting up its own firearms manufacturing, it may need to guard the manufacturing sources it has now.

When I returned to my office from Los Angeles, I found an example of our need for mutual cooperation. Your department had sent one of your 82A1 rifles in to us for service. All of my knowledge in the use of my rifle in the field of law enforcement had been turned upside down by witnessing how your department used yours. Not to protect and serve, but for deception, photo opportunities, and to further an ill-conceived effort that may result in the use of LA taxpayer monies to wage losing political battles in Washington against civil liberties regarding gun ownership.

Please excuse my slow response on the repair service of the rifle. I am battling to what service I am repairing the rifle for. I will not sell, nor service, my rifles to those seeking to infringe upon the Constitution and the crystal clear rights it affords individuals to own firearms.

I implore you to investigate the facts of the .50, to consider the liberties of the law-abiding people and our mutual coexistence, and to change your department's position on this issue.

Sincerely,
BARRETT FIREARMS MANUFACTURING, INC.

Ronnie Barrett
President

Useruser666
07-15-2005, 09:16 AM
I thought it was a newer version or something. A lot of shootings in CA happen with sniper rifles. :rolleyes

CosmicCowboy
07-15-2005, 10:07 AM
I've shot one of those 82s...It's definitely a mother of a gun. No matter what the equipment though I have to say that those military snipers are unfriggenbelievable. I have done quite a bit of long distance shooting and am generally considered to be an excellent shot. I am reasonably proficient out to 500 yards and have made a few hits that I considered somewhat lucky at 600+. Those guys shooting at 2000 meters are absolute supermen. Even with the computerized laser rangefinders they have now there is some serious trajectory calculations involved when you get out to that extended range. The difference between 1900 meters an 2000 meters is an elevation adjustment of FEET...not inches...The limitations in the optics make it even more amazing. Even with a relatively high powered 20X scope a man sized target looks like a period "." in the scope at 2000 meters. Accurate windage and elevation adjustments are not only virtually impossible to see with the eye through the optics but the degree of angle adjustment at those ranges is so small that it is virtually impossible to achieve physically. Just at 500 yards the conditions have to be almost perfect for me to be consistent...cool, crisp, dry, windless mornings are the best...radiant heat waves in the air from the ground still make the image appear to "dance" in the scope and you have to mentally average the waver to find the "true" center. There are just a huge amount of variables involved in accurate long distance shooting and I just can't articulate how much respect I have for these gifted men in uniform that are able to accomplish such amazing feats.

Useruser666
07-15-2005, 10:36 AM
CC can shoot the bra strap off a married woman at 1000 yards! :lol

travis2
07-15-2005, 10:44 AM
CC can shoot the bra strap off a married woman at 1000 yards! :lol

Waste of ammo...why do something with a bullet at 1000 yards when you can do it hand-to-hand at point-blank range and enjoy it? :lol

SpursWoman
07-15-2005, 10:47 AM
Waste of ammo...why do something with a bullet at 1000 yards when you can do it hand-to-hand at point-blank range and enjoy it? :lol

Because it would make a much more interesting anecdote? :lol

travis2
07-15-2005, 10:50 AM
Well, there's a point...I swear some of his anecdotes sound like he had to have set them up himself...:lol

fraga
07-15-2005, 11:05 AM
Damn...so that gun can reach a mile and a half....just.......damn....

CosmicCowboy
07-15-2005, 11:09 AM
you guys hurt me. You really do. :depressed

:lmao

SpursWoman
07-15-2005, 11:11 AM
you guys hurt me. You really do. :depressed

:lmao

:lol :makeout

Shelly
07-15-2005, 11:41 AM
CC, have you shot your neighbor's dog yet? Or your neighbor for that matter?

CosmicCowboy
07-15-2005, 11:48 AM
naa...haven't had the opportunity. I did try to run over him though, when I saw him out a couple of blocks away...but he's pretty smart and saw that bigass truck swerving and hid behind a mailbox...:lol

Useruser666
07-15-2005, 11:51 AM
naa...haven't had the opportunity. I did try to run over him though, when I saw him out a couple of blocks away...but he's pretty smart and saw that bigass truck swerving and hid behind a mailbox...:lol

Would tying some meat to the under side of your truck give away your motives?