PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Will Danny green winning FMVP hurt Duncan's legacy?

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 09:50 PM
The only GOAT player to lose 2 FMVPs to a lesser player....

resistanze
06-16-2013, 09:54 PM
Well, you just threw a softball there.

TrainOfThought5
06-16-2013, 10:34 PM
yeah this is horrible, but it has longshot troll potential, tho... lets see where it goes.

DMX7
06-16-2013, 10:36 PM
Parker should win it.

Josepatches_
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Danny Green is by far the MVP of the series. No doubt

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
Well, it would be unprecedented. Russell would've won all of his, Magic and Kareem did lose one to Worthy, but worthy is also HOF so it won't count.

Bynumite
06-16-2013, 10:43 PM
Green is on another level since he started hanging out with the poster in white pants tbh.

Rogue
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Danny Green winning the MVP award would be just as unlikely as the Spurs winning the series. Even if he's the best player of Spurs in this series and he truly deserves this award, Stern will make sure that the Heat win this series and the award is given to someone playing for Miami

SupremeGuy
06-16-2013, 10:44 PM
Not even a 1 on the troll scale. Step your game up.

midnightpulp
06-16-2013, 10:45 PM
Nope.

Nupe sweating bullets now that Duncan is one win away from tying his precious Kirby.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Duncan has been the 2nd best player in the series and the 2nd best player for the Spurs in the playoffs at age 37..any knowledgeable fan already has him ahead of Vino, but winning this series would shit all over Kob', tbh..

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 10:48 PM
Nope.

Nupe sweating bullets now that Duncan is one win away from tying his precious Kirby.

Ummm, I'm riding with the Spurs. I already said I would rather Tim win than Lebron. Tim is a big man so him and kobe aren't comparable, but even if you do compare them, Kobe has beaten tim 4-1 in the playoffs, and is already voted player of the decade by the mutiple news media.

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Kobe has more Records, titles, and other Accolades than Duncan. Duncan has 1 more FMVP, and 1 more LMVP than Kobe. Thats it. Kobe is #4 all time in Points, and had a better year than duncan. So no, Duncan isn't higher than Kobe. Lets get serious man. Duncan couldn't even defend a championship. Kobe's done that 3 times.

midnightpulp
06-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Ummm, I'm riding with the Spurs. I already said I would rather Tim win than Lebron. Tim is a big man so him and kobe aren't comparable, but even if you do compare them, Kobe has beaten tim 4-1 in the playoffs, and is already voted player of the decade by the mutiple news media.

4-2.

So Kobe and Tim played 1 on 1?

Anyhow, you're reaching with the premise of this thread. Duncan (or Leonard) has been the best overall Spurs' player in the Finals. I know Kirby fan is infatuated with scoring, so naturally their walnut sized brains will choose Green as their Finals MVP, but Duncan has many more responsibilities on the floor than to just be a spot up shooter like Green.

Kidd K
06-16-2013, 10:58 PM
It won't hurt his legacy at all. He's 37 and may grab his 5th ring this week which puts him into VERY elite company.

The real question is, how will it hurt LeBron's legacy? He's at his peak.

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
lol Tony Parker close to having the same number of Finals MVPs as Kobe.

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 11:01 PM
So Kobe Losing FMVP to a top 10 GOAT in Shaq hurts his Legacy, but Tim Losing FMVP to 2 role players, well Parker is most likely HOF, but Duncan was in his Prime when he lost to Parker. Discuss...

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:02 PM
It won't hurt his legacy at all. He's 37 and may grab his 5th ring this week which puts him into VERY elite company.

The real question is, how will it hurt LeBron's legacy? He's at his peak.

The real question is, how will it affect Kobe's legacy when a team with half the salary has the same number of rings vs Lebron getting b2b Finals MVPs which puts him even with Kobe. Lose/Lose

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:02 PM
So Kobe Losing FMVP to a top 10 GOAT in Shaq hurts his Legacy, but Tim Losing FMVP to 2 role players, well Parker is most likely HOF, but Duncan was in his Prime when he lost to Parker. Discuss...

Shaq lost Finals MVP to Wade and you just called him a top 10 GOAT. That should answer your question.

The question you need to be asking is why the Lakers cannot get any contributions from their role players and why 128m a year gets you swept by a graveyard dead team.

duhoh
06-16-2013, 11:03 PM
lol Tony Parker close to having the same number of Finals MVPs as Kobe.

:tu we have a winner!

this is mind-blowing tbh

Seventyniner
06-16-2013, 11:03 PM
Pau Gasol's legacy took a hit when Bryant won those FMVPs, so I think OP has a solid point.

Kidd K
06-16-2013, 11:08 PM
The real question is, how will it affect Kobe's legacy when a team with half the salary has the same number of rings vs Lebron getting b2b Finals MVPs which puts him even with Kobe. Lose/Lose

I know it ain't a popular opinion, but I have always had and will keep Duncan above Kobe even if he doesn't win this year. Kobe's 5 aren't equal to Duncan's 4, and Duncan's 5 will be > Kobe's 5 for the salary reason, Shaq reason, and FMVP reason.

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 11:17 PM
Only on Spurstalk does a Media award like MVP put Lebron over Kobe....

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan who's never defended his championship get put over Kobe

Only on Spurstalk does 2 top 10 GOATS (Shaq and Kobe) hurts only ONE of them....

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan having less achievments and Records still put him over Kobe

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan playing with the Same coach and team his entire career put him over Kobe

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan who needed more HOF players to win Less Championships still put him over Kobe

:rolleyes

Manuismyhomeboy
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
Thread is the epitome of Duncan vs Kirby. Duncan would always rather win the team award where Kirby is all about the individual accolades. Duncan>>>>>>>>>>>Kirby for their overall respected careers!

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 11:22 PM
Thread is the epitome of Duncan vs Kirby. Duncan would always rather win the team award where Kirby is all about the individual accolades. Duncan>>>>>>>>>>>Kirby for their overall respected careers!

Thats a Lie. Duncan wants that FMVP as badly as Kobe. Stop acting like you know Duncan's heart.

Josepatches_
06-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Lol

If spurstalk is so wrong then I can't understand why you are here .

Manuismyhomeboy
06-16-2013, 11:24 PM
If you wanna compare records the ultimate tell all would be Duncan's teams teams never missing the PO's and Kirby's team issuing once and barely sneaking in twice!

King Nupe
06-16-2013, 11:28 PM
If you wanna compare records the ultimate tell all would be Duncan's teams teams never missing the PO's and Kirby's team issuing once and barely sneaking in twice!

Kobe's also never lost as a 1 seed to a 8th or 7th seed has he? Kobe's never been up 2-0 in a series only to get backdoor swept has he?

Manuismyhomeboy
06-16-2013, 11:31 PM
That's because Kirby was being carried by a HOA big man next to him. The years between trading Shaq and Pau those Lakers teams were horrible!

midnightpulp
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
Only on Spurstalk does a Media award like MVP put Lebron over Kobe....

Nope. Most of us still have Lebron behind Kobe. But we acknowledge that Lebron will probably go down as the better player (this series could change everything, though).

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan who's never defended his championship get put over Kobe

Single players don't win championships. Repeats are team accomplishments.

Only on Spurstalk does 2 top 10 GOATS (Shaq and Kobe) hurts only ONE of them....

And only a Kobe fan would downplay the immense advantage if was for Kobe to play alongside one of the greatest players of all-time for half his career.

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan having less achievments and Records still put him over Kobe

:lol Regular season "scoring" records. Duncan has more playoff achievements and records (he even has more playoff triple doubles than Kobe :lol).

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan playing with the Same coach and team his entire career put him over Kobe

That's actually a positive for Duncan. Illustrates his coachability and team first mentality.

Only on Spurstalk does Duncan who needed more HOF players to win Less Championships still put him over Kobe

Not any of them are a top 10 great. And Duncan never played alongside a prime David Robinson.

Arcadian
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
:lmao preparing to defend yourself from being too butthurt about Duncan winning #5

Salty
06-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Series ain't over, but even if Danny does win it it's still::

Duncan - 3
TOSB Kobe - 2

DAF86
06-16-2013, 11:43 PM
A pretty strong case can be made that Duncan is the Spurs' finals MVP so far. If the Spurs win game 6 and Duncan is the best player he will get it.

Amaso
06-16-2013, 11:44 PM
I know it ain't a popular opinion, but I have always had and will keep Duncan above Kobe even if he doesn't win this year. Kobe's 5 aren't equal to Duncan's 4, and Duncan's 5 will be > Kobe's 5 for the salary reason, Shaq reason, and FMVP reason.

The ONLY people that have Duncan > Kobe are Spurs fans/Kobe haters.

Whether or not it was correct or not, other NBA players and legends had Kobe > Duncan even in 2008 when Kobe only had 3 rings. That margin widened even more dramatically after 2010. The only people that try to claim Duncan is BETTER (not just on even footing) are people who want to stand out. Duncan winning his 5th and tying Kobe will not bump him AHEAD of Kobe in most people's eyes, especially when Duncan seems more like "one of the guys" in this series. He isn't a standout star by any stretch, and really hasn't been since 2008. If you weren't a basketball fan before a week ago, you wouldn't even know if Duncan was a great player or not... although I guess the same could be said about Lebron since he hasn't done anything this entire series.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 11:51 PM
In all honesty, as advanced stats continue growing in the NBA culture(every team has advanced stats guys now, and there are 3 GMs that fit the mold), along with actually using data and facts in your arguments, Kobe's legacy will progressively decline, tbh..

The only arguments in Kobe's favor is blindly citing ring count, along with flashy scoring..

Al-Quobe should enjoy their hollow arguments while they can, tbh..

midnightpulp
06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
In all honesty, as advanced stats continue growing in the NBA culture(every team has advanced stats guys now, and there are 3 GMs that fit the mold), along with actually using data and facts in your arguments, Kobe's legacy will progressively decline, tbh..

The only arguments in Kobe's favor is blindly citing ring count, along with flashy scoring..

Al-Quobe should enjoy their hollow arguments while they can, tbh..

And don't forget invoking the opinions of "NBA people."

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 11:55 PM
I didn't include that, because when NBA people have explained their reasoning for hyping Kobe, it's usually related to ring count and his flashy scoring skills:lol..

Arcadian
06-16-2013, 11:58 PM

:lol On the contrary, the only people that have Kobe > Duncan are Lakers fans. And even some of them know Duncan > Kobe.

spurraider21
06-17-2013, 12:12 AM
not at age 37

what does kobe only having 40% of his finals mvp say about his legacy tbh

Johnny RIngo
06-17-2013, 12:14 AM
Well, it would be unprecedented. Russell would've won all of his, Magic and Kareem did lose one to Worthy, but worthy is also HOF so it won't count.

24 year old Larry Bird lost the Finals MVP in 1981 to Cedric Maxwell(a role player who was never an all-star in his career).

AchillesHeel
06-17-2013, 12:17 AM
Duncan GOAT candidate
Achilles top 20 candidate

Amaso
06-17-2013, 12:59 AM
:lol On the contrary, the only people that have Kobe > Duncan are Lakers fans. And even some of them know Duncan > Kobe.

That's just wrong. Whether or not you think they are wrong, the vast majority of the population and former players have Kobe above Duncan. This has been the sentiment since 2008 like I said before, with the overall stance on this matter largely tilting towards Kobe once he got his 5th. Honestly cant remember a single analyst, or NBA player saying otherwise. There's been a couple, not the majority, of people who are the victim of the "now" and saying Duncan is as good/better legacy wise as Kobe but these are the same people who have been saying that Lebron is the "GOAT."

Duncan was my 2nd favorite player growing up, even while the Lakers and Spurs had tons of battles. Even as primarily a Kobe-fan I was willing to put Duncan next to Kobe if he had won his 5th ring this year. The longer this series has gone on, the more and more I remember that Duncan is not that great (right now, not career wise) and is often camouflaged in the Spurs offensive and defensive scheme. I haven't forgot that he hasn't even been a top 10 player in 4 years, and this Spurs team has been Parker's for a long time now. Duncan has such a huge advantage in this series as well since he is essentially the only true big out of the 10 guys on the court.

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 01:05 AM
That's just wrong. Whether or not you think they are wrong, the vast majority of the population and former players have Kobe above Duncan. This has been the sentiment since 2008 like I said before, with the overall stance on this matter largely tilting towards Kobe once he got his 5th. Honestly cant remember a single analyst, or NBA player saying otherwise. There's been a couple, not the majority, of people who are the victim of the "now" and saying Duncan is as good/better legacy wise as Kobe but these are the same people who have been saying that Lebron is the "GOAT."

Duncan was my 2nd favorite player growing up, even while the Lakers and Spurs had tons of battles. Even as primarily a Kobe-fan I was willing to put Duncan next to Kobe if he had won his 5th ring this year. The longer this series has gone on, the more and more I remember that Duncan is not that great (right now, not career wise) and is often camouflaged in the Spurs offensive and defensive scheme. I haven't forgot that he hasn't even been a top 10 player in 4 years, and this Spurs team has been Parker's for a long time now. Duncan has such a huge advantage in this series as well since he is essentially the only true big out of the 10 guys on the court.

How do you figure that when the defensive scheme is built around Duncan anchoring the paint?

Wanna know why James hasn't attacked the paint with wreckless abandon and had his own personal dunk contest? Duncan. That's why.

Camouflaged. Never mind the fact he has the highest +/- on the team:

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213SAS.HTM

Not surprised you'd have such a shitty take, since you're one of the worst posters here.

Amaso
06-17-2013, 01:30 AM
How do you figure that when the defensive scheme is built around Duncan anchoring the paint?

Wanna know why James hasn't attacked the paint with wreckless abandon and had his own personal dunk contest? Duncan. That's why.

Camouflaged. Never mind the fact he has the highest +/- on the team:

http://www.82games.com/1213/1213SAS.HTM

Not surprised you'd have such a shitty take, since you're one of the worst posters here.

I've RARELY posted here since 2010, and barely posted at all back then (see 700 all-time posts). I don't know how you'd even remember my name.

By camouflaged I merely meant not a "stand out" player. OBVIOUSLY, Duncan is still a good/great defensive player but he is not a dominating defensive player, and clearly not the offensive force he used to be... although his biggest knock has been he was never an offensive juggernaut that all the other all-time greats were. The defensive scheme isn't build around one player, and you should know better than that. Duncan is the anchor because he is protecting the paint, but it's not like Duncan has been the reason why Lebron/Wade have sucked the majority of the series; it's been a combination of Leonard/Green/Diaw/Pop's scheme of laying off of him.

Does Duncan play good help defense? Yes. Has he dominated on the defensive end? No, but he's been very solid.

Duncan is going to have the highest +/- by default since he is the only capable big on the Spurs roster. I cringe every time he has to get his rest. Splitter is one of the worst rotation players on a finals team I've seen in a long time. If you are going to post nearly irrelevant statistics then be more creative. According to your +/- stat Splitter has been better than Danny Green this series.

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 01:45 AM
I've RARELY posted here since 2010, and barely posted at all back then (see 700 all-time posts). I don't know how you'd even remember my name.

By camouflaged I merely meant not a "stand out" player. OBVIOUSLY, Duncan is still a good/great defensive player but he is not a dominating defensive player, and clearly not the offensive force he used to be... although his biggest knock has been he was never an offensive juggernaut that all the other all-time greats were. The defensive scheme isn't build around one player, and you should know better than that. Duncan is the anchor because he is protecting the paint, but it's not like Duncan has been the reason why Lebron/Wade have sucked the majority of the series; it's been a combination of Leonard/Green/Diaw/Pop's scheme of laying off of him.

Does Duncan play good help defense? Yes. Has he dominated on the defensive end? No, but he's been very solid.

Duncan is going to have the highest +/- by default since he is the only capable big on the Spurs roster. I cringe every time he has to get his rest. Splitter is one of the worst rotation players on a finals team I've seen in a long time. If you are going to post nearly irrelevant statistics then be more creative. According to your +/- stat Splitter has been better than Danny Green this series.

Those stats are from the regular season (with an 82 game sample size). I posted them to illustrate that Duncan still has the greatest impact on the floor, and it's because of his defense, so yes, even though Duncan is not the entire defense, which would be a stupid statement to make, he's still the foundation of the Spurs defense, as he always has been. Perimeter defense is much easier to play when you have an all-time great anchor behind you.

Anyhow, I took your "camouflaged" comment to imply that the Spurs are doing things to hide Duncan's deficiencies.

And I'm glad Duncan isn't a "stand out player" in this series. You beat the Heat playing as a team, and to force feed Duncan in the post so he can "dominate" plays right into the Heat's hands. Right now, the Spurs' offense is thriving on passing and rhythm, so to bog it down with the ball-stopping "4 down" offense that was Duncan's bread-and-butter for many years would be a mistake. He might "stand out," since the Heat have no one to check him on the block, but the Spurs would likely lose.

Duncan's playing one hell of an overall team game and is STILL the Spurs' best defensive player. To me, that's "standing out."

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2013, 01:46 AM
nba fagots trying to market tp this year with his mvp run, hasnt done shit in the finals, yet they still try to market him so he can look legit winning the fmvp when green has outplayed him, same with duncan

nba is a fkn joke giving out awards to idiots who would bend over to them

Amaso
06-17-2013, 02:01 AM
Those stats are from the regular season (with an 82 game sample size). I posted them to illustrate that Duncan still has the greatest impact on the floor, and it's because of his defense, so yes, even though Duncan is not the entire defense, which would be a stupid statement to make, he's still the foundation of the Spurs defense, as he always has been. Perimeter defense is much easier to play when you have an all-time great anchor behind you.

Anyhow, I took your "camouflaged" comment to imply that the Spurs are doing things to hide Duncan's deficiencies.

And I'm glad Duncan isn't a "stand out player" in this series. You beat the Heat playing as a team, and to force feed Duncan in the post so he can "dominate" plays right into the Heat's hands. Right now, the Spurs' offense is thriving on passing and rhythm, so to bog it down with the ball-stopping "4 down" offense that was Duncan's bread-and-butter for many years would be a mistake. He might "stand out," since the Heat have no one to check him on the block, but the Spurs would likely lose.

Duncan's playing one hell of an overall team game and is STILL the Spurs' best defensive player. To me, that's "standing out."

No disagreements there. The +/- stat is still deceiving for the same reason I posted above. Splitter is awful and the Spurs desperately need Duncan on the floor because of that fact.

The main point I'm trying to make is that Duncan is no longer a bonafide star anymore, and no one is surprised if he has very modest games. It's not his fault, he's been in the league for a long time and is very very old. Duncan isn't the reason why this Spurs team is so great, which is in heavy contrast to the 99,03,05,07 teams. He is the 2nd best player, but the Spurs do it as a team like you said. He is basically "one of the guys" right now, and Parker essentially hasn't really stood out either.

Our argument stemmed from the whole Duncan vs. Kobe debate. If you are ALREADY convinced he is better, then I wouldn't change your mind regardless. I am saying this 5th ring hopefully Duncan wins doesn't boost him over Kobe from my perspective, and probably won't for the majority of basketball fans. If you are going to discredit Kobe's ring total by saying he played with Shaq, then you can discredit Duncan by saying he is potentially winning a title without being a top 10 player. If you want to cancel those out, then how does the player who has been dominant for a longer time and have better stats not get the edge?

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 02:15 AM
No disagreements there. The +/- stat is still deceiving for the same reason I posted above. Splitter is awful and the Spurs desperately need Duncan on the floor because of that fact.

The main point I'm trying to make is that Duncan is no longer a bonafide star anymore, and no one is surprised if he has very modest games. It's not his fault, he's been in the league for a long time and is very very old. Duncan isn't the reason why this Spurs team is so great, which is in heavy contrast to the 99,03,05,07 teams. He is the 2nd best player, but the Spurs do it as a team like you said. He is basically "one of the guys" right now, and Parker essentially hasn't really stood out either.

Our argument stemmed from the whole Duncan vs. Kobe debate. If you are ALREADY convinced he is better, then I wouldn't change your mind regardless. I am saying this 5th ring hopefully Duncan wins doesn't boost him over Kobe from my perspective, and probably won't for the majority of basketball fans. If you are going to discredit Kobe's ring total by saying he played with Shaq, then you can discredit Duncan by saying he is potentially winning a title without being a top 10 player. If you want to cancel those out, then how does the player who has been dominant for a longer time and have better stats not get the edge?

That's incorrect, though. Labeling him "One of the guys" suggests he's little more than a role-player, which is obviously not true.

And I would consider Duncan still a star. Still the league's best overall big at 37. Outplayed Howard and Pau Gasol. Outplayed Randolph and Marc Gasol. And is outplaying Chris Bosh in this series.

Personally, there's not many players I would take over this year's Duncan, so for all intents and purposes, he's still top 10 player. Would you really take Dwight Howard or Westbrook (two top 10 players according to the dipshit media) over Tim Duncan?

On your last point, I disagree that Kobe has better stats (I'll admit he's played longer at an elite level than Duncan in the regular season, though. Duncan was elite from 97-98 to '08 and was elite this year, so that gives him 12 seasons of elite play. Kobe was elite from '00-01 to present). Regular season scoring stats, yes, but what else?

InK
06-17-2013, 02:21 AM
Laker fan thinks any decent poster here gives a fuck about anything but winning the championship. And if the Spurs end up winning the only story will be; Duncan and his guys make one last valiant stand and prevail. It's gonna make one hell of a "greatest of the" era documentaries tbh...

z0sa
06-17-2013, 02:34 AM
You sure hope so.

Jacob1983
06-17-2013, 02:38 AM
Danny Green winning the Finals MVP would be a good thing for the NBA. It would show that the NBA isn't just about superstars and all stars. It would show that a non star player stepped up when his team needed him the most. That is worthy of being the Finals MVP in my opinion.

AchillesHeel
06-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Laker fan thinks any decent poster here gives a fuck about anything but winning the championship. And if the Spurs end up winning the only story will be; Duncan and his guys make one last valiant stand and prevail. It's gonna make one hell of a "greatest of the" era documentaries tbh...

This. No sane person really cares who the MVP is, a true fan is happy that his team wins. IMO you could pick anyone from Duncan,Parker,Green and I wouldn't be too mad about any of the 3 because they all deserve it. Spurs are the epitome of team play, they define it in today's superstar-led cash cow of a league. People say Spurs are "boring" because they don't have one player that dominates for the entire night, they don't appreciate the team effort and the system that's built to shut down players like Lelbron.

Arcadian
06-17-2013, 04:26 AM
The longer this series has gone on, the more and more I remember that Duncan is not that great (right now, not career wise) and is often camouflaged in the Spurs offensive and defensive scheme.

:lol What? In game 5, he shot 70% from the field on 10 shots, grabbed 12 boards, and blocked 3 shots. Duncan is the true MVP of this series. He should have taken more shots, but for some reason the offense wasn't running through him much. Nonetheless, he was operating efficiently in the post, and he is controlling the paint in this series.

I haven't forgot that he hasn't even been a top 10 player in 4 years, and this Spurs team has been Parker's for a long time now.

Nonsense. Duncan is still currently a top 10 player, the best center in the NBA (verified by his first-team All-NBA selection), and the leader of the Spurs. You would only think Parker is better if you looked at ppg and apg - but come on, we all know there is more to the game than points and assists.

Mal
06-17-2013, 04:44 AM
It will be excatly what Duncan`s legacy is. Team first, help teammates be better players, winning is important, consitency.

TDMVPDPOY
06-17-2013, 05:31 AM
:lol What? In game 5, he shot 70% from the field on 10 shots, grabbed 12 boards, and blocked 3 shots. Duncan is the true MVP of this series. He should have taken more shots, but for some reason the offense wasn't running through him much. Nonetheless, he was operating efficiently in the post, and he is controlling the paint in this series.

Nonsense. Duncan is still currently a top 10 player, the best center in the NBA (verified by his first-team All-NBA selection), and the leader of the Spurs. You would only think Parker is better if you looked at ppg and apg - but come on, we all know there is more to the game than points and assists.

did you see in that 4th quarter midway point, parker takes 5 consecutive plays to pad his fkn pathetic stats? dude sometimes over dribbles or holds it too fkn long

i really hope duncan, green or KL wins it cause they have totally earned it, as for the fake ass wanker with a fake ass hammy make jordans flu game look like bullshit

Bill_Brasky
06-17-2013, 05:48 AM
Hey Laker fan

Enjoy being the Cowboys of the NBA :lmao

Kidd K
06-17-2013, 08:20 AM

Whether or not it was correct or not, other NBA players and legends had Kobe > Duncan even in 2008 when Kobe only had 3 rings. That margin widened even more dramatically after 2010. The only people that try to claim Duncan is BETTER (not just on even footing) are people who want to stand out. Duncan winning his 5th and tying Kobe will not bump him AHEAD of Kobe in most people's eyes, especially when Duncan seems more like "one of the guys" in this series. He isn't a standout star by any stretch, and really hasn't been since 2008. If you weren't a basketball fan before a week ago, you wouldn't even know if Duncan was a great player or not... although I guess the same could be said about Lebron since he hasn't done anything this entire series.

Nope. I'd even say the opposite, and that the only people who have Kobe above Duncan are Kobe fans and Lakers homers.

No legends had Kobe > Duncan with 3>5 in 2008 except Lakers/Kobe homers. :lmao That's a fuckin joke. Everyone was discrediting Kobe for his 3 rings being with Shaq and how Kobe couldn't do shit without him. You clearly either weren't watching basketball back then or never posted on the internet to see what non Lakers-homer opinions were. There was no "margin" to widen either. I think you mean the gap closed. The only argument for Kobe > Duncan is 5 > 4. That's it. With it being 5=5, there's no argument anymore. It's all on who was better and how much did they contribute to each ring, and that's Duncan's argument to win.

People who don't agree with ignorant takes aren't always trying to stand out either . That's just lame broad brushing right there. Never a good argument.

Speaking of ignorant takes, if you think Duncan's "just one of the guys" now, it heavily speaks of your ignorance of basketball. He's by far the best defensive player on the team who could've (should've imo) won DPOY this year and carries the team's low post touches and scoring. His USG% this year actually led the team. Yes, higher than Parker's. He was also 12th in the NBA in that stat. Totally just "one of the guys" though. . .if you're a fuckin blind retard. :bang

100%duncan
06-17-2013, 08:43 AM
You can do better.

King Nupe
06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
You know, this is that crap that I'm talking about. If Kobe had lost the FMVP to Gasol, then Spurs fan would be calling him "Eternal Sidekick", but when Duncan doesn't win FMVP, He's a GREAT TEAM PLAYER. Whatever man. Kobe and Duncan are BOTH great teamplayers because they won Team Championships. Stop with the double standards. Another thing, Spurs fans love to say how Duncan was robbed of DPOY awards (at least 2 of them in my opinion), but can't acknowledge that Kobe was robbed of 2 League MVP awards. Instead, they like to say crap like Duncan 2 > Kobe 1, when you know it should at LEAST BE Duncan 2 = Kobe 2. But you guys have that ridiculous double standard.

Most Laker fans will acknowledge that Duncan is TOP 10 GOAT, and #1 GOAT PF. But spurs fans like to discredit Kobe's achievments. Kobe and Duncan basically came in together, and competed against each other for the last 17 Years. If duncan wins this year, then that means they BOTH won 5 Championships, and they BOTH Needed HOF Help to do it. Kobe had top 10 GOAT in Shaq, and Duncan had 3 HOF's to help him win.

My point is, just be fair when it comes to comparisons.

Raven
06-17-2013, 09:52 AM
Danny Green winning the Finals MVP would be a good thing for the NBA. It would show that the NBA isn't just about superstars and all stars. It would show that a non star player stepped up when his team needed him the most. That is worthy of being the Finals MVP in my opinion.

that's basically everything stern has worked so hard to deny :lol

StrengthAndHonor
06-17-2013, 09:56 AM

Agree. People put too much weight on FMVP. Just like Regular Season MVP, it did had questionable winners in the past. It doesn't matter who wins the award anyway, the Spurs are still Duncan's team. But I agree, give the award to the best player in the series/

kidd_91
06-17-2013, 10:35 AM
No way Green is winning FMVP so this whole thread is a moot point. Green's shooting is a product of Duncan, Parker and the Spurs system. When Parker goes out the Spurs struggle to get set or sometimes even bring the ball upcourt. Without Duncan in the middle Wade and Lebron would be attacking the rim every Heat possession. Green is a great story line, kind of rags to riches thing the media loves, but let's not get crazy on what he brings to the team.

With all that said Green is taking full advantage of looks he's getting and should be considered a very valuable piece to the team and championship run. Let's hope he can continue his run of great shooting and close out this series Tuesday.

AchillesHeel
06-17-2013, 10:45 AM
No way Green is winning FMVP so this whole thread is a moot point. Green's shooting is a product of Duncan, Parker and the Spurs system. When Parker goes out the Spurs struggle to get set or sometimes even bring the ball upcourt. Without Duncan in the middle Wade and Lebron would be attacking the rim every Heat possession. Green is a great story line, kind of rags to riches thing the media loves, but let's not get crazy on what he brings to the team.

With all that said Green is taking full advantage of looks he's getting and should be considered a very valuable piece to the team and championship run. Let's hope he can continue his run of great shooting and close out this series Tuesday.

If Green wasn't there, Spurs would be losing, jackass. Green is good yes because of Heat focusing on defending the big 3 but if he wasn't there to step up the Heat would be up on the series right now. If he wasn't there to knock those 3s down Spurs offense would look horrible, tbh. He broke the 3s record in the Finals, he's the most efficient Spur out there. 18 ppg on 80% TS? 66% from 3? How many role players have done this on a Finals stage? Of course Timmy or TD will win it, but Green winning it wouldn't be too bad as he's been very efficient and important in all the wins, avging 21 ppg 5 reb 1 stl 2 blk in the 3 wins so far.

kidd_91
06-17-2013, 10:59 AM
way to overreact to a observation. I never said we would be winning without Green. I just stated that he is not the MVP of the series, based on every interview he's made he'll tell you the same. Like I said he's taking full advantage of every open look he's got and would be a very big reason if the Spurs can finish this off. But you're the jackass if you think this team wins, or even gets to the Finals without Parker.

Kidd K
06-17-2013, 11:09 AM
If Kobe had lost the FMVP to Gasol, then Spurs fan would be calling him "Eternal Sidekick", but when Duncan doesn't win FMVP, He's a GREAT TEAM PLAYER.

You realize people say Duncan's a great team player and don't with Kobe because of the way they play, right? It's their philosophy for playing basketball. Kobe wants get the ball and do what he does and expects things to be easier for his teammates while he's doing his thing and drawing attention. Duncan looks at what he can do to help out his teammates as much as possible while also doing his thing.

You can't seriously be upset that fans don't treat Kobe, one of the well-known selfish players in basketball, the same as Duncan, one of the most well-known great team player all stars of basketball in regards to how good of a teammate they are. Kobe has to actually earn that title. He doesn't automatically get it because someone else in the NBA happens to have it.

jeebus
06-17-2013, 11:16 AM
Green would be the worst FMVP ever if he did win it. If anything, he might win co-FMVP with Parker if he has another great performance.