PDA

View Full Version : Great Adjustments by Pop in Game 5

timvp
06-16-2013, 10:35 PM
... and SpursTalk called a lot of it :wow

-Starting Ginobili was great. Pop could have been gunshy after how the same move backfired last season -- but it was absolutely the right move for multiple reasons. The most important reasons: 1) Ginobili needed a spark to get going. 2) It made the defensive matchups most natural 3) The Spurs needed more ballhandling and playmaking from the beginning 4) The bench unit wasn't working anyways so the change actually helped.

-Going to isolation plays on the perimeter. A lot of us called for this but give credit to Pop for actually following through with it and then the players successfully following the gameplan. If you take the ability to the trap away from the Heat, you accomplish a lot: 1) You are able to play less in a crowd, but most importantly 2) When isolated, the lane is pretty damn open since there isn't much beef in the Heat's small lineup.

-Keeping the same defensive strategy and hope the Heat's stars just don't play as well. There was no overreaction to Game 4. The Spurs still sagged into the paint and still shaded to LeBron. The only slight difference was to switch a lot more on perimeter screens, which is another advantage of going small.

I have no idea what is going to happen in Game 6 and Game 7 but these adjustments should serve the Spurs well going forward. The isolation plays on the perimeter for Parker and Ginobili are REALLY encouraging.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2013, 10:38 PM
I doubt Spoelstra can come up with a third game plan to negate the Spurs. Spurs are taking game six.

Keepin' it real
06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
ESPN talking heads saying Miami should diss the small ball and play Birdman again after two straight DNP-CDs. The Spurs should welcome that. Gives Timmy the opportunity to abuse Birdie and Bosh and bring home #5.

freetiago
06-16-2013, 10:43 PM
if Dwhistle doesnt turn back the clock twice the Spurs can win
the only adjustment the Spurs havent figured out is when Duncan goes to the bench
Splitter/Diaw step up to contest the shot and Bosh is getting all these tip ins since the next tallest guy who can even try to box out Bosh is like 6'7
he had 5 offensive rebounds
thats probably how many he had the entire playoffs combined minus this game

i think Pop has to match Duncan minutes with Bosh and go all out
40+ mins minimum

Whisky Dog
06-16-2013, 10:45 PM
If you told me Diaw's relatively quick feet would be enough to make life tough on Lebron then I would have said you're crazy. It's a good thing it happened and hopefully it'll keep working.

TD 21
06-16-2013, 10:46 PM
Pop did pretty much everything I said (not that it was rocket science; I saw all of it as no brainer moves). The whole "how would it affect the bench unit?" question never made any sense to me, since it was obvious Ginobili would double as the de facto backup PG. This was about matching up better, trying to spark him and flat out playing the best players more minutes together and overall.

As far as the isolation's, it's about time. I thought that was obvious from the beginning, but I guess he was just saving it for when it was needed most.

One adjustment he made that you didn't mention was Diaw on James and shockingly, it worked out about as well as can be hoped for. Granted, James missed a bunch of shots around the rim he'd normally make, but still.

jmanu20
It looked like Manu smelled blood each time he saw Cole defending him.

DPG21920
If you told me Diaw's relatively quick feet would be enough to make life tough on Lebron then I would have said you're crazy. It's a good thing it happened and hopefully it'll keep working.

A lot of us discussed that pre-series. Diaw was on Lebron some this year and had pretty positive results. The bigger shock to me is Danny/Kawhi's success (although Tim/Tiago have really helped that).

Nathan89
06-16-2013, 10:47 PM
Heat will start Allen next game. That will make the heat more challenging. I just want bosh and Wade to shit the bed again.

Whisky Dog
06-16-2013, 10:49 PM
Yeah but regular season when the big 4 weren't playing is a much different animal from the finals game 5. I just want to see if it'll keep working because that allows Kawhi to harass wade and make it more difficult for them offensively.

emanueldavidginobili
06-16-2013, 10:50 PM
Manu had the most isolations ive seen in the last 4 years tbh great calls ...that Manu iso on LeBron 0_____o Omg

Sdayi135
06-16-2013, 10:52 PM

ESPN just said LeBron was 1-8 with Diaw guarding him.

wut
06-16-2013, 10:53 PM
there was one other welcomed adjustment made in the game tonight. Pop normally rests Parker and Duncan at the start of the 4th, in order to give them fresh legs in case of overtime games. We've seen Pop do this all season, regardless of the score (blowout games are the exception here)....but Pop finally realized winning the first half of the 4th quarter was going to be key. Had Pop continued to rest Parker and Duncan...Miami could have erased all of the lead.

It's good to see that Pop is even making moves to win after a few seasons of what looked from my perspective, like he was giving up and not giving it his all.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 10:55 PM
game 6 ain't gonna be about adjustments anymore. we're done with that. it's gonna be who will want it the most.

Ice009
06-16-2013, 10:56 PM
Heat will start Allen next game. That will make the heat more challenging. I just want bosh and Wade to shit the bed again.

Deep in the 4th quarter I was thinking that this is the main change the Heat might make to start game 6. What do you guys think? Spurs are going to have to cover him, but it won't be easy with both Lebron and Wade on the court. Spurs are just going to have to give it everything they got and defend their asses off.

ezau
06-16-2013, 10:56 PM

To be honest, I always thought Diaw has the foot speed and mass to handle Lebron James. The only reason POP isn't playing Diaw more is his tendency to be overly passive.

racm
06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
The last time Pop started Manu in Game 5 with the series tied 2-2 and Ray Allen on the opposing team? 2005.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 10:57 PM
diaw made bronbron into a jumpshooter.

damn, we have 3 guys to put on bron bron. he's phucked and he knows he's phucked.

Slydragon
06-16-2013, 11:00 PM
http://s15.postimg.org/4qhyue1wr/971102_10200844787555345_479792042_n.jpg

mercos
06-16-2013, 11:04 PM
Diaw on Lebron was huge. Took away Lebron's post up game, and forced him to become a jump shooter again. This could have huge implications for the rest of the series.

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I don't think outscoring the Heat will work in Miami. I think the defense is going to have to be much better. It worked this game because it was at home.

LongtimeSpursFan

If the Heat start Allen then Parker or Ginobili are going to have easy lanes to the basket because there is no way Allen can guard either one of them on the perimeter. Especially if they run isolations.

crc21209
Putting Diaw on LeBron is a HUGE move. LeBron can't bully and post Diaw up, which takes out alot of what the Heat want to do on offense.

crc21209
06-16-2013, 11:09 PM
If the Heat start Allen then Parker or Ginobili are going to have easy lanes to the basket because there is no way Allen can guard either one of them on the perimeter. Especially if they run isolations.

This. If you noticed in the 4th qtr whoever Mike Miller was guarding immediately went at him off the dribble. Even if they start Allen, they can apply the same strategy...

Chinook
06-16-2013, 11:10 PM
game 6 ain't gonna be about adjustments anymore. we're done with that. it's gonna be who will want it the most.

Exactly. This is the Finals many people expected. The Spurs need to play with intensity (they didn't in Games 2 and 4) and close this thing out.

As I've been saying, Diaw getting locked in is dangerous for Miami. He's one of the hardest guards in the NBA when he wants to be. He's also a very sound defender. Him, Neal and Splitter should be the only subs for the next two games.

freetiago
06-16-2013, 11:12 PM
The last time Pop started Manu in Game 5 with the series tied 2-2 and Ray Allen on the opposing team? 2005.

no it was actually the last time Manu started
2012 vs OKC
minus the Ray Allen part which is a non-issue tbh

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 11:19 PM
I've actually liked what I've seen out of Neal defensively. He's been competing.

phxspurfan
06-16-2013, 11:20 PM
I noticed the switches too. Although gimmicky, it seemed to work the few times they did it early.

Spurs7794
06-16-2013, 11:21 PM
no it was actually the last time Manu started
2012 vs OKC
minus the Ray Allen part which is a non-issue tbh

Yeah way to disprove his quote by deciding which parts of his quotes are the issue. :rolleyes

Brunodf
06-16-2013, 11:21 PM
Congrats Pop for doing, after 2 losses, what u should've been doing since game 1: Playing more Diaw and less Neal.

Darkwaters
06-16-2013, 11:23 PM
Wow, we're one game away from number 5. One fucking game. Incredible.

moisaenz
06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
I've actually liked what I've seen out of Neal defensively. He's been competing.

Neal can guard Allen because allen is a scrub now and the heat do not run that many screens for him.

TampaDude
06-16-2013, 11:26 PM
Looks like Pop has "solved" the Heat. I wonder what Spo will pull out of his ass in Game 6.

Not that it matters. Spurs got this shit. Spurs in 6.

polandprzem
06-16-2013, 11:39 PM
Looks like the spurs got an answer for a Miami small lineup and big lineup. Plus they do have another guy to guard LeBron.

The thing is if the spurs can keep their pace and composure along with being sharp and not turning the ball over that much?
Also can wade pull 3 great games in a row?

It's absolutely amazing that spurs can win with Miami playing smallball :wow

But quick passing and not letting them set for traps doing good stuff :tu

Now IMO it's 50-50. Depends if the spurs can pound that rock for another 48 minutes

T Park
06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
Congrats Pop for doing, after 2 losses, what u should've been doing since game 1: Playing more Diaw and less Neal.

:lol assclown

TrainOfThought5
06-16-2013, 11:51 PM
I don't think outscoring the Heat will work in Miami. I think the defense is going to have to be much better. It worked this game because it was at home.

We can replicate the defense.

its the turnovers that worry me to death. we need to return to that Low turnover game 1 offense. if that means more isos so be it. if that means more post ups for Timmy, thats even better.

ducks
06-16-2013, 11:53 PM
heat d was forcused on tp and when manu was starting he was guarded by miller
he can kill miller not cole

MannyIsGod
06-16-2013, 11:55 PM
Magic Johnson shockingly gave some good comments during halftime. In the past, Manu was good enough to lift the 2nd unit. He could be the best player out there and excel. In this series - and maybe going forward - he's not that Manu. But put him in a lineup with talent and he's still capable of playing a huge role. When those passes are going to Tim in the post instead of Tiago good things happen.

The isolation were a thing of beauty. Tony Parker absolutely abused Cole. It was just nasty. I enjoyed watching that quite a bit.

The Spurs really do need to cut down on TOs though. And its hard to see them shooting 60% again on the road so limiting Miami's possessions by finding a way to rebound better with the smaller lineup and cutting TOs is absolutely critical.

DPG21920
06-16-2013, 11:56 PM
TP bullied Cole like everyone expects Bron to do to all defenders. He looked comfortable and natural doing it to. Boss status IMVHO.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
I LOLed that after Tony absued Cole for like 4 straight possesions in the 1q, Spo still put him in on Parker as the 1h was ending. TP just abused him one last time.

Capt Bringdown
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
Euro trash lineup for the win

ducks
06-16-2013, 11:59 PM
I wish game 7 was friday or saturday if there was a game 7
one day rest between them gives them less time to prepare and rest

DMC
06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
No Pop should have played TMac instead.

timtonymanu
06-17-2013, 12:02 AM
:lol @ some posters saying Norris Cole could stop TP because of the March game.

crc21209
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
So now on ESPN's postgame coverage Magic and the other guys are saying Spo should go big and start Haslem and give Birdman minutes. :lol Really? So first going small for them was a great move and now analysts are saying they should go big?

MannyIsGod
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM
Would love for them to go back to being big. Plays right into the Spurs hands, IMO.

ducks
06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
duncan would own first quarter letting tp rest and saving him for second half

DMC
06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
ANALysts. People who are expert assholes.

JVG tonight lamenting over Miami, wanting them to cut into the lead. I can understand wanting a competitive game but his agenda quickly became clear.

Also, I didn't want to hear another "Heat just got away with...". I think I heard that about 20 times tonight.

ducks
06-17-2013, 12:08 AM
yeah headline spurs stun heat
really? did the heat reallly think spurs would roll over?

SouthernFried
06-17-2013, 12:10 AM
Magic Johnson shockingly gave some good comments during halftime. In the past, Manu was good enough to lift the 2nd unit. He could be the best player out there and excel. In this series - and maybe going forward - he's not that Manu. But put him in a lineup with talent and he's still capable of playing a huge role. When those passes are going to Tim in the post instead of Tiago good things happen.

This. I was actually "Wow, that was pretty good Magic." Not used to such insight from him. And I think he's correct...the biggest reason Manu went off tonight, was he didn't have to carry the 2nd team.

SpurPadre
06-17-2013, 12:15 AM

I disagree with this. If the Heat start Allen on Tuesday, Pop may make adjustments to that in the 2nd Half of the game depending on how well that move turns out for Miami.

Mugen
06-17-2013, 12:21 AM
:lol One legged TP eatin' up Urkel and Kid N Play like a couple of crepes tbh.

Budkin
06-17-2013, 12:28 AM
I just read that we had 18 TOs?? One less than last game and we managed to win. We've GOT to cut those down.

Brunodf
06-17-2013, 12:32 AM
:lol assclown
The truth hurts

m33p0
06-17-2013, 12:35 AM
I disagree with this. If the Heat start Allen on Tuesday, Pop may make adjustments to that in the 2nd Half of the game depending on how well that move turns out for Miami.
allen is gonna get the mike miller treatment. either tp or manu will attack his defense. its more viable for them to revert to anderson especially since theyll be playing at home.

m33p0
06-17-2013, 12:41 AM
So now on ESPN's postgame coverage Magic and the other guys are saying Spo should go big and start Haslem and give Birdman minutes. :lol Really? So first going small for them was a great move and now analysts are saying they should go big?
spurs proved they are a better smallball team than smallball heat. kinda like spurs a better fastbreak team than fastbreak suns.

Stabula
06-17-2013, 12:46 AM

Both teams want it just as bad I imagine.

Brunodf
06-17-2013, 12:47 AM
spurs proved they are a better smallball team than smallball heat. kinda like spurs a better fastbreak team than fastbreak suns.
We had a BIG advantage playing big, Duncan/Splitter lineup was +25 in 35 minutes.
If Spo play big next game:rollin

DAF86
06-17-2013, 12:54 AM

What about the small ball thing dog? :lol

freetiago
06-17-2013, 12:58 AM
Parker trying to steal FMVP with a huge game 6
saying in his post game to stop trapping him on pick and rolls and to stop doubling Tim so Green isnt open

T Park
06-17-2013, 01:01 AM
The truth hurts

Only in your world is that the truth.

BatManu20
06-17-2013, 01:18 AM
Spurs are great in playoff series, Miami hasn't lost two games in a row in almost 6 months, and have a victory average of +20.1 pts in their wins following a loss. Something has to give. If there was ever a time in the history of the NBA for a streak to be snapped, the Spurs need to snap this one in Game 6.

DAF86
06-17-2013, 01:23 AM
Manu just said that only one of his "isolation" plays were by design, the one to end the 3rd quarter.

therealtruth
06-17-2013, 01:28 AM
This. I was actually "Wow, that was pretty good Magic." Not used to such insight from him. And I think he's correct...the biggest reason Manu went off tonight, was he didn't have to carry the 2nd team.

That's why going forward I think the Spurs really need a legit backup PG on the second unit so Manu can play off the ball more. Maybe the backup PG is TMac.

SouthernFried
06-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Parker trying to steal FMVP with a huge game 6
saying in his post game to stop trapping him on pick and rolls and to stop doubling Tim so Green isnt open

You know, I think the only 2 people concerned about getting MVP...are LeBron and Tony. Sometimes I worry about Tony...except when he's scoring. ;)

Brunodf
06-17-2013, 02:00 AM
What about the small ball thing dog? :lol
Useless as usual, we outscored them badly playing Diaw/Duncan lineup

Capt Bringdown
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I doubt Spoelstra can come up with a third game plan to negate the Spurs. Spurs are taking game six.

Pat Riley is calling the shots.

EVAY
06-17-2013, 09:21 AM

That is certainly the expected counter move, and I had just mentioned it to my husband last night. I still think it will be okay, but yeah, Mike Miller won't be starting any more games for the Spurs. Allen makes it the Heat 'big four' vs. the Spurs' 'big four' (where the fourth is Green, obviously). Whatever happens, it should be a fun game to watch.

EVAY
06-17-2013, 09:22 AM
You know, I think the only 2 people concerned about getting MVP...are LeBron and Tony. Sometimes I worry about Tony...except when he's scoring. ;)

Stop worrying about Tony. If you haven't figured out yet that Tony is playing his heart out for "one last one for Teemy' you really haven't been paying attention.

EVAY
06-17-2013, 09:23 AM
Pat Riley is calling the shots.

Count on it.

EVAY
06-17-2013, 09:29 AM

One would almost conclude that Magic had been reading the Spurs Talk Forum, since several of us had pointed out that Manu's struggles in this series had something to do with the fact that the Heat give their starters much less rest than our starters get, so Manu was in there with Tiago and Neal against their starting line-up, enabling them to tee off on the pick and rolls that would work against another team's backups but weren't likely to work against the Heat's starters.

Raven
06-17-2013, 09:33 AM

tbh i called it earlier this year that diaw was the only one that could actually guard the lebron-durant type.. people laughed..

Capt Bringdown
06-17-2013, 09:38 AM
Allen makes it the Heat 'big four' vs. the Spurs' 'big four' (where the fourth is Green, obviously).

Frustrating to see how well Allen has played against the Spurs. He's shooting 64%. In the conference finals he shot 30%

EVAY
06-17-2013, 09:48 AM
Frustrating to see how well Allen has played against the Spurs. He's shooting 64%. In the conference finals he shot 30%

Allen moves without the ball better than anyone else on that team, and Green has trouble (and occasionally Manu has trouble) remembering to pay attention to where he is on the court. Last night, most of his threes came with Green running at him from somewhere else on the court because Green forgot to watch him. Neal does it too. Since Allen is normally on the court when our second team is in, it is normally Neal or Manu or (occasionally) Green who has to chase him around. I think playing our starters more minutes will help, but only if we pay attention to him.

boutons_deux
06-17-2013, 09:53 AM
Pop playing Diaw took Pop 4 games too long. We'll see what minutes Boris gets in game6.

SpurAddict561
06-17-2013, 09:55 AM
Allen had 21 pts, what more do they expect out of him? Him and Wade both played lights out

Brazil
06-17-2013, 10:50 AM
The biggest one after Manu is Diaw. Boris is born for this match up, his passing skills give Spurs a lot of O opportunities an break the fronting while we stay big.
Diaw is still a match up nightmare when dialed. Awesome job by the French, somewhere FkLA should smile !

Brazil
06-17-2013, 10:51 AM
Pop playing Diaw took Pop 4 games too long. We'll see what minutes Boris gets in game6.

fwiw I think Diaw was not 100%, Pop would have gone at him sooner if he was healthy imho

rexb
06-17-2013, 11:07 AM
I actually liked Ginobili handling the ball. It is something the Heat I believe were not ready. Actually Spoelstra said it before that he was mostly worried about Ginobili because of what he brings to the game which are unexpected (out of the ordinary). Ball movement was better and the way he pushes the ball and find players in scoring positions. I like how the Spurs went with Ginobili on one play and then Parker the next which kept the Heat defense guessing.

Also, excited to see Tony Parker's tear drop on display again!!

ElNono
06-17-2013, 11:37 AM
This was another great adjustment from Pop on the second unit (image taken from the Zach Lowe's piece):

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2013/0616/grant_e_release_576.jpg

Instead of running the high pick and roll with Manu-Splitter, he had Neal (a lousier passer) run it with Tiago, and having Manu ready to be the release valve, while Green was spacing the floor.

This ended with Manu running to the middle and hitting Tiago for a layup.

I'm not sure this is sustainable long-term, because Neal is a lousy ball handler, and if Miami recognizes this early, they can pressure Neal higher up the court. But it obviously caught Miami by surprise this time.

it's me
06-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Is Manu the only player in any sport that has been a bench/sub player almost his entire career for being so fucking good? (count me as one of the many he shat on yesterday lol) amazingly he got to play a finals game as a starter because he "isn't good enough to play in the second unit" :lmao ...... fucking Manu is unique, bench player for being too good to start lol.