PDA

View Full Version : Splitter will be the scapegoat tonight, as usual, but...

ElNono
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
he had an ok game... it's a process with him.

Last season he failed us with the freebies, and he worked on his game and that's not an issue anymore.

Hopefully he can hire Jason Collins in the offseason to work on his balls.

The only criticism is that he needs to rebound better. We gave up too many boards and Miami thrives on that.

I know it's trendy to hate on Tiago, so pile on...

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-16-2013, 10:41 PM
Still think these are his last games as a Spur. Can't pay someone $8-10M to play 10 minutes.

ElNono
06-16-2013, 11:13 PM
Tiago will be back. He's useful against the other 28 teams in the league... and he'll get better.

TE
06-16-2013, 11:15 PM
#fellowsouthamericangotyoback

TE
06-16-2013, 11:15 PM
Tiago will be back. He's useful against the other 28 teams in the league... and he'll get better.
true tbh

therealtruth
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
We play him less and our defense gets worse. I am not sure if we're playing good enough defense to win in Miami.

RD2191
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
We don't get past Memphis without him, small ball just isn't for him.

Chinook
06-16-2013, 11:28 PM
Great thread, Nono. I'll do my part. "I don't even want Splitter back unless it's for the minimum. The dude is done."

Juggity
06-16-2013, 11:32 PM
Splitter is a skilled player, and crucial for pairing with Timmy, especially against the big Western teams. Spurfans should know this, given the fact that the Spurs were able to eviscerate the west in the playoffs this year with the Tim-Tiago pairing.

Splitter isn't a franchise player, obviously, but you'd have to be blind not to see his value to this franchise.

SpurPadre
06-16-2013, 11:33 PM
Still think these are his last games as a Spur. Can't pay someone $8-10M to play 10 minutes.

Nah, this is a match-up issue with Splitter more than anything. He doesn't play with as much aggression as I'd like but they're gonna look at his full body of work and determine if he should be a long-time Spur when they look at their other options...and as of now, he's still done enough for most of the season to warrant another contract with the team. But we can think about that later. One more win, guys.

Brunodf
06-16-2013, 11:36 PM
Splitter will be gone bro

LarryDavid
06-16-2013, 11:37 PM

Depending on his price, no?

houston spurs fan
06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
he had an ok game... it's a process with him.

Last season he failed us with the freebies, and he worked on his game and that's not an issue anymore.

The only criticism is that he needs to rebound better. We gave up too many boards and Miami thrives on that.

I know it's trendy to hate on Tiago, so pile on...

houston spurs fan
06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
It's not about trends but stats. Tiago has sucked period.

Baam
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM

This Boris and Danny make about 4M a year, the most they would probably give him has to be about 5M at this point.

dallasmaverickslose
06-17-2013, 12:09 AM
Splitter is going through a slump right now. I wouldn't say it's time to sever ties with him. I personally think if we keep him, he's gonna have to work on gaining some upper body strength, and probably pack on a few more pounds this offseason. He's getting pushed around more than I'd like.

Hope he hits the weights hard pretty soon.

NRHector
06-17-2013, 12:15 AM
We need to see Bynes first before Tiago leaves

therealtruth
06-17-2013, 01:29 AM
We need to see Bynes first before Tiago leaves

This. If Baynes can be Splitter with more toughness then it might work.

tesseractive
06-17-2013, 02:10 AM
He's easily the best center we've had to line up next to Tim since David retired. And there's no reason to think he's hit his ceiling yet, is there?

And, most importantly, we don't get past Memphis without him, I don't think.

Even at $10 million, he's worth it.

OrEmuN
06-17-2013, 04:50 AM
It may not be the worst thing for him to be average this year if Spurs end up with a championship and he signs for a reasonable deal.

Just like D.Green.
Last year, he was off in the WCF.
It must have depressed his value quite a bit. Or enticed him to sign with the Spurs with more discount without testing the market.

Hence, it may just work out fine in the end.
Spurs win championship, Splitter signs with Spurs at below market price and improves his game

chapnis
06-17-2013, 05:15 AM
Pop just dropping his value so we can get him on the cheap in the off-season.

That and he has no balls.

milkyway21
06-17-2013, 06:00 AM
I want Tiago to come back ..he is not injury-prone. No ego.

rascal
06-17-2013, 06:04 AM
Will cost too much money for what he is going to give back. But he will be back with the Spurs next year. The Spurs will bring back the same team.

Mr Bones
06-17-2013, 07:12 AM
If the Spurs were playing Indiana in these finals, I imagine Splitter would be helpful in the same way he was against Memphis. It's all a matter of match ups, and Splitter just doesn't match up well with the Heat. That's why I think the Spurs should resign Splitter and also go after free agent Brandan Wright, who shouldn't be too expensive. Splitter would be far better against teams with bigger, more traditional centers, and Wright would be a better match up against the more athletic small ball line ups. Add to that Diaw at a reasonable price, and the Spurs would have maximum flexibility with three very different centers, each skilled in different ways...

biskvito
06-17-2013, 07:15 AM
some fans already forgot the Grizzlies series...

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2013, 07:20 AM
If the Spurs still win this and Splitter has been playing the way he has, well Splitter's price has just dropped for the Spurs which is a good thing.

If he played like he did in January and February, the Spurs would be looking at a 8-10mil a year contract. With him only being serviceable this Finals, I think his priced has dropped to 5-7mil a year. He is a RFA, so the Spurs can play the wait and see game.

Raven
06-17-2013, 07:22 AM
he played very well tbh, good effort and decent finishing.

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 07:25 AM
People shitting on Splitter fail to realize that without him, the Spurs don't lock up Randolph and Gasol in WCF as effectively. Could be a very different series if Splitter didn't exist.

pgardn
06-17-2013, 07:49 AM
This.

How many guys around 7 feet tall are this mobile?

He is playing against the most athletic team in basketball and it shows. He knows the offense and may set the highest effective screens in basketball. Tony has got to love this guy in our offense. He preferentially calls him out for screens.
He gave Duncan the rest he needed without completely opening up the rim for the season and most of the playoffs.

Pop does not like guys who have no use on the offensive end. A guy like De Andre Jordan would sit unless he learned something.

Let us pray that the skills of Big Butted Boris can get us through this classic series with a win.

8FOR!3
06-17-2013, 07:58 AM
I like Tiago but he's definitely a little soft sometimes. Heard he didn't sleep for like two days after that block by LeBron. Kinda feel for the guy, you can tell he puts everything into it.

jag
06-17-2013, 08:12 AM

Yep.

He's easily the best center we've had to line up next to Tim since David retired. And there's no reason to think he's hit his ceiling yet, is there?

And, most importantly, we don't get past Memphis without him, I don't think.

Even at $10 million, he's worth it.

Rasho was more consistent, but Splitter has a higher ceiling. And no, I don't think he's close to hitting his ceiling yet. He's made strides every offseason and I expect him to continue improving for the next 2-3 seasons.

His soft play can be very irritating at times, but he'll learn through all of this. A series like this against a physically tough team will be good for him. As someone already said, without Tiago the Spurs are lucky to make it out against Memphis.

SpurAddict561
06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
In Splitter's defense, I think the refs are looking at the crowd while Spliter has the ball. They are looking somewhere other than AT SPLITTER, because he gets whooped every time he touches the ball in the paint. He doesn't get ANY CALLS, ever.

Brazil
06-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Tiago is struggling this serie but he has a solid PO run untill that especially against Grizz.
I like Tiago, he is a big part of Spurs D resurgence in 2012/2013.
He will get paid.

Spurs9
06-17-2013, 08:37 AM
He definatley has the skills in some aspects, but he needs to be alot more aggressive and get away from always doing those ridiculous euro flip shots. I will be intresting to see how Baynes develops too, I think he is very rough but could be a very good player.

TrainOfThought5
06-17-2013, 09:01 AM
Splitter sucks against Miami, true.

but hes INVALUABLE in the west, and necessary for climbing to the top.

for 10 mil a year i say let him walk and invest in Baynes. for 6-7 mil keep him and pray he grows a pair. hes a hell of alot better than Blair and Bonner tho.

elbamba
06-17-2013, 09:07 AM
I don't think Splitter is playing as bad as everyone else. What kills me is that when the Heat go small, the Spurs are still throwing waist high passes to Splitter which is right where players like Wade and Lebron can get clean swipes. They need to be passing the ball high and hard so that he does not need to bring it down low. Splitter also got screwed with the charge call against Chalmers.

Splitter is never going to be a great rebounder or a strength player. His assets are his footwork, which is top 10 in the NBA for centers and his position defense. Individually, his defense is not so good, but in his positions, he has been great.

kskonn
06-17-2013, 09:19 AM
It will be interesting to see how this plays out. In Game 5 he definitely seemed to play with more anger, this series should be good for his long term development. Hopefully he can learn to play with more aggression all the time, that is really what is holding him back.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-17-2013, 09:26 AM
If the price is right, I don't see him wearing a different uniform.

mercos
06-17-2013, 10:00 AM
Splitter has had a subpar series, but I thought he was all right in game 5. One of his turnovers were a BS call on an offensive foul. He finished stronger in the game as well. This is a bad match up for him, as the Heat are great at getting steals down low, and Splitter's hands are questionable. If he could learn to keep the ball up high when he is near the basket, he would be far more effective. He still has room to grow, and has shown a willingness to improve.

Fireball
06-17-2013, 11:10 AM
some fans already forgot the Grizzlies series...

so true, we may not be in the Finals without Splitters defense in the second and third playoff round ... Miami is just a bad matchup ... Just remember how Danny Green played against the Lakers ...

EVAY
06-17-2013, 11:22 AM
This is Tiago's first NBA finals. I know that is also true of Green and Leonard, but when you think that during last season's playoffs our role players went up to the WCF and then fell apart, it is pretty impressive that, so far at least, Tiago seems to be the only one really reacting to the stage.

He will be better next season, and I predict he will still be a Spur next season.

Fabbs
06-17-2013, 12:17 PM
Really liked his under the rim layup (started on one side, saw he could well be contested/blocked so switched to the other side of the rim for the Under and Up. 3rd qtr late for 85-74 score i believe.

Hey, if he's getting his ass blocked/fouled regularly otherwise, nice adaptation.

Slippy
06-18-2013, 08:07 AM

What's the point Jason Collins working on them when Pop will be busy trying to shrink them.

Look at Manu. He needed a pep talk from Pop and a move into the starting five. The confidence boost worked to perfection and brought out a vintage Manu performance. The attention and chances Pop affords most of his players has been high , in some cases anoyingly favourible. Tiago since day once has gotten cindefella treatment.

My thinking is Spurs and Tiago will be better off going their seperate ways.

Should be interesting to see how things play out with Baynes.

jimbo
06-18-2013, 11:44 AM
If the Spurs were playing Indiana in these finals, I imagine Splitter would be helpful in the same way he was against Memphis. It's all a matter of match ups, and Splitter just doesn't match up well with the Heat. That's why I think the Spurs should resign Splitter and also go after free agent Brandan Wright, who shouldn't be too expensive. Splitter would be far better against teams with bigger, more traditional centers, and Wright would be a better match up against the more athletic small ball line ups. Add to that Diaw at a reasonable price, and the Spurs would have maximum flexibility with three very different centers, each skilled in different ways...

That's why I thought if the Spurs played Indiana it would have been a sweep. Splitter/TD are a good defensive pairing vs Indiana's bigs.

It might be worth moving Splitter back to the 2nd unit and running the offense through him like in 2012, but then also play him in crunch time. Start him and play him big minutes vs the big teams. The people saying to play Baynes are just not living in this reality. For as bad hands as Splitter has, Baynes are even worse... and at that Baynes is slower on rotations. He'd just foul out at this point.