PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Pop is the best coach in history, tbh..

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 11:07 PM
I've called him overrated many times, and sometimes he is(since he never receives blame for anything), but he has built a masterpiece, tbh..

He has turned a player that can't dribble a ball or dunk and has built a system that could make that player a potential Finals MVP:lol..

His system is going to allow a PG-led team to win the NBA championship:lol..

He created a perfect game plan to guard Lebron and beat the Heat, while severely outcoaching Spoelstra..

ezau
06-16-2013, 11:17 PM
I've called him overrated many times, and sometimes he is(since he never receives blame for anything), but he has built a masterpiece, tbh..

He has turned a player that can't dribble a ball or dunk and has built a system that could make that player a potential Finals MVP:lol..

He created a perfect game plan to guard Lebron and beat the Heat, while severely outcoaching Spoelstra..

10-15 coaches in the NBA can do this.

Reck
06-16-2013, 11:22 PM

So you saw that pop consference interview huh?

He pretty much said the same thing in there, sans MVP discussions.

Thebesteva
06-16-2013, 11:31 PM
I am a huge fan of Popo but Phil owns him on every level. I understand Pop stayed true to 1 team and didnt have the talent Phil had and I give that to him but Phil owned him psychologically nearly everytime they met. I would say Pop is the 2nd greatest coach in NBA history only behind Phil. Of course, 20 years from now when you ask it wont even be a debate who the greatest coach in NBA history was.

Rogue
06-16-2013, 11:35 PM
Pop is the Alex Ferguson in the basketball world

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
I am a huge fan of Popo but Phil owns him on every level. I understand Pop stayed true to 1 team and didnt have the talent Phil had and I give that to him but Phil owned him psychologically nearly everytime they met. I would say Pop is the 2nd greatest coach in NBA history only behind Phil. Of course, 20 years from now when you ask it wont even be a debate who the greatest coach in NBA history was.

No. Phil got swept with by far the best talent in the league, twice.

HI-FI
06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
no matter what happens in this series, Pop (and our ownership) will be something special. I've always believed Pop >>>> Phil. I mean, how many top 10 players did Phil get in his tenure? and his coaching tree is a joke, unlike Pop whose influence under Peter Holt will be felt for many years.

BigTex342006
06-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Phil's real talent is knowing when to bail on a team about to get crappy. Pop and Timmy have been serious contenders every year for the last sixteen...

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 11:44 PM
Phil is a shitty person, which makes him able to relate to and coach antisocial scumbags of Kobe/Dad Killer's nature, tbh..

Jackson is a great coach, but just decent from an X's and O's standpoint, tbh..his demeanour is his strength, not necessarily his development of players, either..

Pop and Duncan are perfect for each other, they develop players in a welcoming and team environment, tbh..

Pop may have been able to deal with Dad Killer/Kobe and immature players like Shaq and Pippen, but I don't think he would even want to coach them, tbh..he would rather coach players that can play in a team environment and he has no problems developing them..

Thebesteva
06-16-2013, 11:47 PM
No. Phil got swept with by far the best talent in the league, twice.

no matter what happens in this series, Pop (and our ownership) will be something special. I've always believed Pop >>>> Phil. I mean, how many top 10 players did Phil get in his tenure? and his coaching tree is a joke, unlike Pop whose influence under Peter Holt will be felt for many years.

Often when I post things, I'm thinking about how things will be percieved 10-20 years from now by the majority of fans. Jordan will still be the GOAT because he was the first to raise the bar so high and Phil will be the best coach of all time.

I understand where you guys are coming from about him having Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, etc but you guys also have to take a look at guys like D'antoni and Brown that allow solid 50+ win teams turn into 40 win teams because they dont know how to maintain EGOS.

~O~
06-16-2013, 11:49 PM
Pop has always been the best coach in NBA history. The Homers and people who don't know a thing about basketball will say "oh...Phill Jackson". Phil Jackson didn't have to create stars, he was gifted them. Phil Jackson isn't the adjustment maker that GREG POPOVICH is. Phil Jackson didn't lead teams with UNKNOWN UNPOPULAR PLAYERS....to 16 straight playoff appearances. Greg Popovich is one of the reasons I still enjoy basketball today and the Spurs. They're rarely talked about in the media and they don't shove them down your throat. I'd rather me come to them then for them to come to me. This has been the best organization in sports for the past decade in my opinion. Their hands are clean....

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM

Quality take. Why aren't you bolded yet?

There's coaching (Pop) and there's babysitting (Phil). How can anyone call Phil a great coach when one of his best players was uncoachable yet still has 5 rings? Obviously it wasn't the coaching. Those are Phil's words.

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Pop has always been the best coach in NBA history. The Homers and people who don't know a thing about basketball will say "oh...Phill Jackson". Phil Jackson didn't have to create stars, he was gifted them. Phil Jackson isn't the adjustment maker that Phil Jackson is. Phil Jackson didn't lead teams with UNKNOWN UNPOPULAR PLAYERS....to 16 straight playoff appearances. Greg Popovich is one of the reasons I still enjoy basketball today and the Spurs. They're rarely talked about in the media and they don't shove them down your throat. I'd rather me come to them then for them to come to me. This has been the best organization in sports for the past decade in my opinion. Their hands are clean....

Me thinks you used Phil Jackson one to many times. You're cut off.

HI-FI
06-16-2013, 11:52 PM
Pop has always been the best coach in NBA history. The Homers and people who don't know a thing about basketball will say "oh...Phill Jackson". Phil Jackson didn't have to create stars, he was gifted them. Phil Jackson isn't the adjustment maker that Phil Jackson is. Phil Jackson didn't lead teams with UNKNOWN UNPOPULAR PLAYERS....to 16 straight playoff appearances. Greg Popovich is one of the reasons I still enjoy basketball today and the Spurs. They're rarely talked about in the media and they don't shove them down your throat. I'd rather me come to them then for them to come to me. This has been the best organization in sports for the past decade in my opinion. Their hands are clean....
great post tbh.

but i always say it starts at the top. Peter Holt deserves so much credit for creating the atmosphere for Pop and our staff to do their thing. look at Orlando ownership, they let Dwight Howard make a joke out of them. NBA should blame itself for so many shitty owners, putting someone like Stern in charge. Fortunately Spurs have a great owner, and from that, a great coach that plays the game the way it is intended.

AchillesHeel
06-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Phil is a shitty person, which makes him able to relate to and coach antisocial scumbags of Kobe/Dad Killer's nature, tbh..

Jackson is a great coach, but just decent from an X's and O's standpoint, tbh..his demeanour is his strength, not necessarily his development of players, either..

Pop and Duncan are perfect for each other, they develop players in a welcoming and team environment, tbh..

Pop may have been able to deal with Dad Killer/Kobe and immature players like Shaq and Pippen, but I don't think he would even want to coach them, tbh..he would rather coach players that can play in a team environment and he has no problems developing them..

As great as pop is you're just trying to make Pjax look bad to make Pop look better...

Pjax had the triangle, won 11 championships in 2 decades, developed a rapist into an all-star player and managed an ego of a big,lazy fatass who instead of working out in the Gym was busy making McDonald's ads and rapping. I give him a lot of credit there, tbh.

HarlemHeat37
06-16-2013, 11:56 PM
That's why I said he's a great coach and always give him credit:lol..

But like DMC said, his babysitting skills surpass his coaching skills, tbh..

DMC
06-16-2013, 11:57 PM
Often when I post things, I'm thinking about how things will be percieved 10-20 years from now by the majority of fans. Jordan will still be the GOAT because he was the first to raise the bar so high and Phil will be the best coach of all time.

I understand where you guys are coming from about him having Jordan, Shaq, Kobe, etc but you guys also have to take a look at guys like D'antoni and Brown that allow solid 50+ win teams turn into 40 win teams because they dont know how to maintain EGOS.
You cannot even predict where your next meal is coming from and you want to look 20 years ahead?

As it stands now, GWB is becoming more popular by the day. No one saw that coming when the dipshit in my sig was elected and won the Nobel prize for being a negro. Kobe's legacy will be of someone who was cultivated, protected and overpaid to attempt a reincarnation of the NBA's greatest money draw ever, MJ. Kobe fell short of that, and has shown false indicators that he was never chasing that to begin with. His legacy will be the guy who's infidelity and subsequent rape allegations cost his team a title, and who couldn't keep decent people around him because he was basically the Joffrey Baratheon of the NBA: a product of an experiment gone wrong, wrongly placed as head of the organization from childhood and coddled and spoiled because his father (Stern) would not allow him to fail. Look where he's at now. That will be his legacy.

TrainOfThought5
06-17-2013, 12:03 AM
10-15 coaches in the NBA can do this.

and half of those coaches were just fired, tbh.

ezau
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM

As great as Phil was, it's absolutely remarkable that he hasn't produced any top-tier coach from his line.

ezau
06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
and half of those coaches were just fired, tbh.

That is true.

~O~
06-17-2013, 12:10 AM
I apologize. I don't proofread because I write get too in depth with my writing. I also don't proof read because I usually end up writing a more than 6 paragraphs.

DMC
06-17-2013, 12:17 AM
I apologize. I don't proofread because I write get too in depth with my writing. I also don't proof read because I usually end up writing a more than 6 paragraphs.

It's ok, I'm just having fun at your expense.

DMC
06-17-2013, 12:17 AM
As great as Phil was, it's absolutely remarkable that he hasn't produced any top-tier coach from his line.

Also, no one ever says "Phil used to say..."

Phil was a manager, nothing more nothing less. He just chose his bosses wisely.

whitemamba
06-17-2013, 12:20 AM
phil never had to develop players.

midnightpulp
06-17-2013, 12:36 AM

I have to disagree with that.

The first time they met ('01), the Lakers were peaking (which of course you can credit to Phil, but every Laker was playing out of his mind during that run) and the Spurs lost their best perimeter scorer right before the series and had Danny Ferry, Terry Porter, and Sean Elliott playing major minutes. That team had no business in the WCF and were severely outgunned against the Lakers.

In '02, the Spurs finally got some help on the perimeter by drafting a young Parker and signing Bowen. The Spurs had 4th quarter leads in every game, but lacked the perimeter closers (Parker still much too young for that role) to finish the Lakers off.

In '03, the Spurs had a much, much deeper perimeter with a 2nd year Parker, gunslinger Stephen Jackson, and the rookie Ginobili. And it showed, the Spurs were actually able to hang on to leads against the Lakers this time around and weren't forced to over-rely on Duncan so much.

In '04, the Lakers reload with one of the biggest off-season hauls in history. The acquired Payton to specifically matchup with Parker. And signed Malone to match up with Duncan. The Lakers pretty much built their team to dethrone the Spurs. Still, the Lakers found themselves down 0-2, forcing Phil into a gimmick desperation move, which was to pack the paint and live with the Spurs getting open shots as long as Parker's driving lanes are shut down and Duncan has little room to operate in the post. The Spurs had plenty of shooters to counter the move, but they all choked. Can't put that on Popovich.

In '08, the Spurs survived a 7 games series with an underwhelming Hornets team and then faced a hungry Lakers team with Kobe playing the best basketball of his career. While the Spurs did blow a 20 point lead in game 1 that could've changed the complexion of the series, that was more about Kobe stepping up than any kind of coaching mojo from Jackson. In addition to that, Manu was also gimpy for the series and allowed himself to get shut down by Sasha :lol. Ultimately, the Spurs were outgunned.

I'm not trying to homer out for Pop, but I just can't find any instance where he was "out-coached" by Phil.

Sometimes the game really does come down to making shots and which team is more talented. Phil's teams typically had more talent, aside from maybe '03.

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2013, 12:43 AM
Talent-wise, the 2001 and 2002 Spurs were some of the most overrated teams in recent history, tbh..

~O~
06-17-2013, 12:52 AM
I have to disagree with that.

The first time they met ('01), the Lakers were peaking (which of course you can credit to Phil, but every Laker was playing out of his mind during that run) and the Spurs lost their best perimeter scorer right before the series and had Danny Ferry, Terry Porter, and Sean Elliott playing major minutes. That team had no business in the WCF and were severely outgunned against the Lakers.

In '02, the Spurs finally got some help on the perimeter by drafting a young Parker and signing Bowen. The Spurs had 4th quarter leads in every game, but lacked the perimeter closers (Parker still much too young for that role) to finish the Lakers off.

In '03, the Spurs had a much, much deeper perimeter with a 2nd year Parker, gunslinger Stephen Jackson, and the rookie Ginobili. And it showed, the Spurs were actually able to hang on to leads against the Lakers this time around and weren't forced to over-rely on Duncan so much.

In '04, the Lakers reload with one of the biggest off-season hauls in history. The acquired Payton to specifically matchup with Parker. And signed Malone to match up with Duncan. The Lakers pretty much built their team to dethrone the Spurs. Still, the Lakers found themselves down 0-2, forcing Phil into a gimmick desperation move, which was to pack the paint and live with the Spurs getting open shots as long as Parker's driving lanes are shut down and Duncan has little room to operate in the post. The Spurs had plenty of shooters to counter the move, but they all choked. Can't put that on Popovich.

In '08, the Spurs survived a 7 games series with an underwhelming Hornets team and then faced a hungry Lakers team with Kobe playing the best basketball of his career. While the Spurs did blow a 20 point lead in game 1 that could've changed the complexion of the series, that was more about Kobe stepping up than any kind of coaching mojo from Jackson. In addition to that, Manu was also gimpy for the series and allowed himself to get shut down by Sasha :lol. Ultimately, the Spurs were outgunned.

I'm not trying to homer out for Pop, but I just can't find any instance where he was "out-coached" by Phil.

Sometimes the game really does come down to making shots and which team is more talented. Phil's teams typically had more talent, aside from maybe '03.

Thus my point..Phil Jackson has always been gifted with talent. He didn't have to create stars.