PDA

View Full Version : What is Green's market value?

Libri
06-16-2013, 11:08 PM
Green signed a three year contract worth 11+ million dollars and will get paid from 3 to 4 million a season. Considering his playoff performance so far, what is his market value? How much has it gone up?

freetiago
06-16-2013, 11:12 PM
Trade for 2014 unprotected first round pick to the Bobcats
draft Andrew Wiggins

dallasmaverickslose
Green signed a three year contract worth 11+ million dollars and will get paid from 3 to 4 million a season. Considering his playoff performance so far, what is his market value? How much has it gone up?

tbh, fvck you.

m33p0
dunno. he's untradable now. too cheap to get anything of equal to what he brings to the table.

Libri
06-16-2013, 11:13 PM
tbh, fvck you.

:lol Trading him never crossed my mind.

SpursDynasty21
06-16-2013, 11:14 PM
The Spurs need to keep Green around long-term. They can't let him get to free agency.

Spur Bank
06-16-2013, 11:18 PM
It's up quite a bit ... not just from the playoff performance, but his season performance overall. He's now a career .424 (!!!) 3P% shooter who plays at least adequate, and probably good, defense, both individual and team. He's not a super athlete, but he's athletic enough. A player who shoots that high a percentage AND performs well in other aspects ... teams would pay quite a bit for that.

I'm terrible with knowing actual market values though. I'm waiting for someone to throw out a number.

Libri
06-16-2013, 11:30 PM
It's up quite a bit ... not just from the playoff performance, but his season performance overall. He's now a career .424 (!!!) 3P% shooter who plays at least adequate, and probably good, defense, both individual and team. He's not a super athlete, but he's athletic enough. A player who shoots that high a percentage AND performs well in other aspects ... teams would pay quite a bit for that.

I'm terrible with knowing actual market values though. I'm waiting for someone to throw out a number.

Especially when teams are willing to overpay for a player. This brings back to memory Speedy Claxton. For that playoff game where he had an offensive burst, he went from earning $1 million with the Spurs to $6 million for two seasons with Golden State.

LarryDavid
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
From a salary cap perspective, Spurs are very fortunate his contract was up last year and not this year. Would have def. cost them more than his current contract.

Chinook
06-16-2013, 11:34 PM
He could've gotten up to $10 Million a year. That's what Allen got during his last Celtics contract. If he adds more to his game (ball-handling, finishing), he could push for Monta Ellis money.

He's a hell of a lot more valuable than JJ Redick, that's for sure, and Redick is going to get at least $7 Million a year.

jestersmash
06-16-2013, 11:38 PM
Probably increased from 3M/year to around 4.5M-6M/year The person who said 10M/year and that Green could push for "Monta Ellis money" is on crack.

MannyIsGod
06-16-2013, 11:40 PM
He could've gotten up to $10 Million a year. That's what Allen got during his last Celtics contract. If he adds more to his game (ball-handling, finishing), he could push for Monta Ellis money.

He's a hell of a lot more valuable than JJ Redick, that's for sure, and Redick is going to get at least $7 Million a year.

LOL WOAH WOAH WOAH. Danny Green has been amazing in these finals but he's not worth 10 million. If he was a free agent this offeseason he might get 7-8 million. MAYBE.

Chinook
06-16-2013, 11:43 PM
LOL WOAH WOAH WOAH. Danny Green has been amazing in these finals but he's not worth 10 million. If he was a free agent this offeseason he might get 7-8 million. MAYBE.

Maybe. But Green's performance (especially if he wins MVP) carries a lot more weight than most $7-8 Million players can boast. If people see him as a legitimate top-10 two-guard with potential to get better, then a $40 Million/4 deal is not out of the question. It's massively overrating/overpaying, but worse things have happened.

timvp
06-16-2013, 11:45 PM
I thought Green was a great bargain when the Spurs signed him. Now .... :wow

cjw
06-16-2013, 11:46 PM
Guys, Landry Fields makes $6.5 million a year. Granted Toronto added an extra zero to the offer or really had a hard on for Nash. In a league that overpays guys, $7-$8mm = 4 years and $30 million. Not out of question at all.

Just be glad to know he's making less money than Steve Novak and Bonner. Novak can't even sniff the court in a playoff game because he's such a liability when he's not nailing threes. Most GMs and owners are just stupid.

Speaking of Cleveland, he's making the same money as Alonzo Gee.

Sean Cagney
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
dunno. he's untradable now. too cheap to get anything of equal to what he brings to the table.

This is true!

Darius McCrary
06-16-2013, 11:50 PM
I thought Green was a great bargain when the Spurs signed him. Now .... :wow

Credit x100000 timvp was one of 2 or 3 that thought the money was good.

At this point I just wish we locked him up for more years :depressed

chapnis
06-16-2013, 11:51 PM
Green and Leonard could be handy wings going forward into the future.

GSH
06-16-2013, 11:54 PM
Credit x100000 timvp was one of 2 or 3 that thought the money was good.

At this point I just wish we locked him up for more years :depressed

My wife was at a dinner last summer, and sat next to one of the Spurs' execs. He told her point blank that their biggest worry of the off-season was whether they were going to be able to keep Danny. Regardless of what lots of fans thought, the Spurs management had no doubt that the money was good, or whether he was worth it.

m33p0
06-16-2013, 11:58 PM
Green and Leonard could be handy wings going forward into the future.
could be? they ARE handy wings going forward into the future.

Darius McCrary
06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
My wife was at a dinner last summer, and sat next to one of the Spurs' execs. He told her point blank that their biggest worry of the off-season was whether they were going to be able to keep Danny. Regardless of what lots of fans thought, the Spurs management had no doubt that the money was good, or whether he was worth it.

:cheers:

Juggity
06-17-2013, 12:00 AM
Green has been a streaky player over the last 2 years, so what happened in the 2012 WCF was bound to happen sooner or later. It's just part of the territory. That said, Green was worth the investment last summer, just for his defensive potential, good attitude, and occasionally hot shooting. I was totally happy with the contract, and couldn't believe people wanted to get rid of Green. One bad or unlucky playoff series does not define a career. See DRob 1995, etc. What matters is the overall trend, and that was yet to be determined a year ago.

I will say that Green has not only exceeded but destroyed all possible expectations (or even explanations) by shooting 70% in the finals.

There are probably teams out there who would be willing to hand Green a ridiculous Stephen Jackson/Richard Jefferson-esque contract based on his performance in this finals series and the playoffs in general. I don't think he's quite worth that much, but his value much higher than is reflected in his contract. Potentially working his way toward a Finals MVP is proof of that fact.

MannyIsGod
06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
I was afraid of him falling off Jaren Jackson style. Thankfully, Danny wasn't satisfied. Throughtout the year I made the observation that he was more confident this year. That was never more apparent than tonight when Danny started off terribly with an air ball. Last year that DG wouldn't have come out balling after that point. This year he's far more confident and he believes in himself. Its awesome to watch.

hater
06-17-2013, 12:01 AM
Max money nigga tbh

especially since he inseminated Gloria James

KL2
06-17-2013, 12:04 AM
The good thing is that he wants to be with SA, I think I remember he turned down other offers this off season that were offering him around $5 million a year to to stay with San Antonio. After his Finals performance he could easily get $7 million per year, maybe in the $9 million if a team is desperate.

He's established himself as one of the best defenders in the nba with his defense, as well as the best 3pt shooter in the nba, his value will skyrocket after this series. He's also performing against a great defensive team.

GSH
06-17-2013, 12:05 AM
I was afraid of him falling off Jaren Jackson style. Thankfully, Danny wasn't satisfied. Throughtout the year I made the observation that he was more confident this year. That was never more apparent than tonight when Danny started off terribly with an air ball. Last year that DG wouldn't have come out balling after that point. This year he's far more confident and he believes in himself. Its awesome to watch.

If he spends the summer improving his in-between game, and his ability to finish at the rim, he's going to be a very, very bad man. And possibly the biggest bargain in the league, other than rookie scale contracts.

ace3g
06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Marc Stein @ESPNSteinLine
(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)RT @ramonashelburne (http://twitter.com/ramonashelburne): Danny Ferry told me tonight there were practices in Cleveland where Danny Green was second best on floor after LeBron

TheyCallMePro
06-17-2013, 12:06 AM
Well JJ Redick is looking for 10 million per year so...

More than that :)

Bottom line is we got a bargain for him. 3 years/12 million is NOTHING in the NBA. Hell Kris Humphries made 12 million this year ALONE. Other elite shooting guards made at least twice as much as Danny Green. This organization is just amazing at building elite teams for the least amount of $$$.

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2013, 12:07 AM
He's worth a lot more to the Spurs than he would be to any other team, tbh, outside of a few teams that could generate good looks(Miami, Denver, Indiana..)..

spurraider21
06-17-2013, 12:08 AM
:lol paranoid pop

Chinook
06-17-2013, 12:11 AM
(http://twitter.com/ESPNSteinLine)RT @ramonashelburne (http://twitter.com/ramonashelburne): Danny Ferry told me tonight there were practices in Cleveland where Danny Green was second best on floor after LeBron

That's more an indictment of Ferry than an endorsement of 2009 Green. Although had Lebron not blown up that team, Green may well have developed there.

tesseractive
06-17-2013, 12:13 AM

10 seems like it should be a bit high, but name 5 better SGs in the league. Kobe, Wade, Harden, Ellis, and... ? And Kobe is out most of next year and Wade looks awful for long stretches. Danny is a superior defender, and he's demonstrated that he's fearless in the playoffs... I mean, this is a Finals performance worthy of Derek Fisher or Robert Horry. Best of all, he's still got room to get better. A well-run team with a need could definitely fairly pay $8 million, and I could imagine someone overpaying $10 million if they had a big hole at the position.

Darius McCrary
06-17-2013, 12:14 AM

I like you ace, but you have to realize this is BS revisionist history, tbh

tesseractive
06-17-2013, 12:19 AM
He's worth a lot more to the Spurs than he would be to any other team, tbh, outside of a few teams that could generate good looks(Miami, Denver, Indiana..)..

Right, but he's of unbelievable value to teams that are going to make deep runs in the playoffs (e.g. the ones you mentioned), because he obviously isn't afraid of the moment. Players who have that trait and aren't making All Star money are scarce as hell.

Chinook
06-17-2013, 12:20 AM
I like you ace, but you have to realize this is BS revisionist history, tbh

Actually, I could believe it. Ferry was a big supporter of Green when no one else really was. It was he who recommended that the Spurs pick him up.

Darius McCrary
06-17-2013, 12:22 AM
Actually, I could believe it. Ferry was a big supporter of Green when no one else really was. It was he who recommended that the Spurs pick him up.

It's BS. That quote is honestly the definition of revisionist history.

chapnis
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM

Mike Brown clearly didn't watch the practices then

HarlemHeat37
06-17-2013, 12:26 AM
Green is the most puzzling player I've ever seen, tbh:lol..

He dribbles the ball at a High School level, he can barely finish dunks and layups, he doesn't have any moves, yet he's the potential Finals MVP in 2013:lol..

ace3g
06-17-2013, 12:48 AM
Green is the most puzzling player I've ever seen, tbh:lol..

He dribbles the ball at a High School level, he can barely finish dunks and layups, he doesn't have any moves, yet he's the potential Finals MVP in 2013:lol..

I liked Pop's quote tonight about Green

Chris Mannix @ChrisMannixSI
(http://twitter.com/ChrisMannixSI)Gregg Popovich on the comparison between Danny Green and Bruce Bowen: "I guess they are both similar, because neither has any moves."

L.I.T
06-17-2013, 01:01 AM
Afflalo money.

SupremeGuy
06-17-2013, 01:09 AM
Green and Leonard could be handy wings going forward into the future.Thank you for your insight, captain obvious.

spursparker9
06-17-2013, 01:12 AM
Was really impressed with Green's transition D. I think he managed to stop 3 or 4 fastbreaks by Wade or James.

jestersmash
06-17-2013, 01:12 AM
The good thing is that he wants to be with SA, I think I remember he turned down other offers this off season that were offering him around $5 million a year to to stay with San Antonio. After his Finals performance he could easily get $7 million per year, maybe in the $9 million if a team is desperate.

He's established himself as one of the best defenders in the nba with his defense, as well as the best 3pt shooter in the nba, his value will skyrocket after this series. He's also performing against a great defensive team.

Yeah I'm really skeptical of that claim. This was Danny's first big contract. Guys like that aren't going to overlook an extra $2M/year just to stay with a team.

PingPong
06-17-2013, 01:14 AM
Green is that kind of player made good by the spurs system. He won't do well in most teams in NBA outside the spurs, without the ball movement.

jesterbobman
06-17-2013, 02:43 AM
Depends on the Stat you use. On the regression plus minus stats, he comes out really well, and he's an above average player by WS. He's probably best as a 4th/5th option offensively, but teams should do basically whatever they can to get him shooting and generate shots for him, as he's such an efficient player.

I thought his current deal was good at the time, though obviously no-one expected this eruption. Afflalo at $8 million is probably around what he could earn, but I think he's more valuable as a player than as a trade asset.

Mal
06-17-2013, 03:12 AM
Calm the fuck down. He is very valueable member of SA Spurs and he`ll stay here for the next two seasons. He`s value to Spurs is sky high. Rest of the league can suck it.

therealtruth
06-17-2013, 03:22 AM
We've got to do a better job of preventing those fastbreaks. In Miami they will likely be dunks or fouls.

Raven
06-17-2013, 06:18 AM
right now he can get max money easily, he's just the perfect fit for any backcourt player, that's valuable.

chapnis
06-17-2013, 06:26 AM
right now he can get max money easily, he's just the perfect fit for any backcourt player, that's valuable.

I want some of what you're smoking.

Raven
06-17-2013, 06:29 AM
I want some of what you're smoking.

if he gets the mvp, would he be the first finals mvp not on a rookie contract not to be paid the max?

aal04
06-17-2013, 07:21 AM
Well, atm, hes worth more than LBJ.

Raven
06-17-2013, 07:30 AM

isn't the question about his market value? apples and oranges tbh..

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-17-2013, 07:34 AM
Remember Green himself said a couple of teams offer the MLE (5mil a year) last year and he resigned with the Spurs for less because he said they are the ones that took a chance on him and developed him in the player he was today.

His market value is at least 8 a year at this point. But really, that is what the Spurs do, THEY DEVELOP their players which is why they seem to being getting deals left and right.

Raven
06-17-2013, 07:39 AM
Yeah I'm really skeptical of that claim. This was Danny's first big contract. Guys like that aren't going to overlook an extra $2M/year just to stay with a team.

it's possible there was some team option stuff, but i can hardly doubt danny understands he wouldn't be who he is if it wasn't for the spurs.

exstatic
06-17-2013, 07:41 AM

Yeah, I don't believe that, either. I think it was $2M over the life of the contract. That's money you can leave on the table to stay with a contender.

Big Empty
06-17-2013, 07:48 AM
We got him locked up for 2 more years. Well see if he can sustain this type of play. If he can well hes a 8-12 million a year guy

exstatic
06-17-2013, 07:49 AM
His value takes a big hit because he can't generate shots, for himself or anyone else. Most teams have little to no use for such a player.

Raven
06-17-2013, 07:57 AM
His value takes a big hit because he can't generate shots, for himself or anyone else. Most teams have little to no use for such a player.

that's the common sense, but if you look at it objectively, you can notice that there is a huge chunk of sg that need the ball in their hands and can't glue with this pg driven league. The most paid sg are all chuckers that can't play with a real pg and since there are so many great pg it makes green's off ball qualities that much more valuable.