PDA

View Full Version : Cool NY Times article on the Spurs organization (Delete if already posted)

caribbean_spur
06-17-2013, 07:36 AM
Not sure if this was posted. Cool article on the Spurs organization.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/17/sports/basketball/a-san-antonio-graduate-program-that-churns-out-nba-coaches.html?hpw&_r=0

"In 2011, it was Budenholzer’s idea for the Spurs to trade George Hill, a backup point guard Popovich loved, for Kawhi Leonard, who is now guarding LeBron James in the finals." Interesting.

Twisted_Dawg
06-17-2013, 08:35 AM
Thank God Popovich and Buford didn't go Jerry Jones and dismiss Budenholzer's opinion.

#2!
06-17-2013, 10:53 AM
There was only one really surprising thing about the article, and that's the notion that Ime Udoka is slotted to become the next head assistant. I know my reaction, and the reaction of most ST'ers, is "no way Udoka is ready for something like that." However, I have noticed that unlike Jacque, who sat on the second row as a Spurs Assistant Coach, Ime sits right up front so perhaps Popovich sees some serious potential there.

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the hierarchy on the bench.

Jenks
06-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Bring back PJ

Vito Corleone
06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
So what happens when Pop retires? We can replace the coach but can we replace the leader?

People keep asking Pop to write a book, but so far they have been asking him to write the wrong book. I would love to read a book from him on leadership. That seems to be his true stength.

callo1
06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
I wonder how of much the "George Hill was Pop's favorite player" routine was legitimate, and how much of it was to drive up the value of Hill. I don't completely buy Hill being Pop's favorite player nonsense.

Jenks
06-17-2013, 03:48 PM
So what happens when Pop retires? We can replace the coach but can we replace the leader?

People keep asking Pop to write a book, but so far they have been asking him to write the wrong book. I would love to read a book from him on leadership. That seems to be his true stength.

There are no leadership drills