PDA

View Full Version : Dwight or big al?

Monkeyboy14
06-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Who would you rather sign this offseason/who would work better in our system? Dwight howard or Al jefferson?

Big Empty
06-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Dwight would be better.

swaggerjackson
06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
1 win away from being crowned the NBA champions, and you want to talk about a completely unrealistic, hypothetical situation? Seriously there are over four months in the offseason. Just save it for a couple days bro.

Monkeyboy14
06-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Well they both bring different things to the table. I mean dwight brings more D. But Jefferson would take a looot of the offensive pressure off duncan.

BatManu20
06-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Neither will ever be a Spur, especially not Howard. So the point is moot. Move on.

Monkeyboy14
06-17-2013, 06:57 PM
1 win away from being crowned the NBA champions, and you want to talk about a completely unrealistic, hypothetical situation? Seriously there are over four months in the offseason. Just save it for a couple days bro.
Whatevs dawg. What else are we suppose to talk about that hasn't already been said about the finals? Just trying to bring a new topic on this boring, no basketball day.

elemento
06-17-2013, 06:57 PM
Neither

Monkeyboy14
06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
Neither will ever be a Spur, especially not Howard. So the point is moot. Move on.
We have a really good chance a Al actually.. He is a free agent this year. Duncan is his idol. We may be the defending champs. Why wouldn't he want to play here?

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 06:58 PM
I'd take Jefferson.

spurraider21
06-17-2013, 07:03 PM
anybody who says Al Jefferson needs to deactivate their account

Monkeyboy14
06-17-2013, 07:04 PM
why?

BatManu20
06-17-2013, 07:07 PM
We have a really good chance a Al actually.. He is a free agent this year. Duncan is his idol. We may be the defending champs. Why wouldn't he want to play here?

Because whether you like it or not, the Spurs are going to re-sign Tiago Splitter this offseason. And possibly Manu. They won't have the money. Plus they don't want a Center who is slow footed and terrible at defending the PnR. So no, they won't. Some team will overpay for Jefferson, and it won't be the Spurs.

BatManu20
06-17-2013, 07:08 PM
Dumb. The Spurs aren't bringing in any big name FA's this offseason. Only re-signing Splitter and possibly Manu + the draft. Maybe a role player FA or two.

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 07:09 PM

Anyone who says DHoward obviously doesnt know the Spurs. Its like the Dennis Rodman situation. We brought him in....he wasnt up to the Spurs caliber of character so Pop shipped his ass out. He went on to win with the Bulls and we stuck to our values and it worked out fine.

In 1994, Popovich returned to San Antonio as the general manager and Vice President of Basketball Operations after current owner Peter Holt (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Peter_Holt) purchased the team. Popovich's first move was to sign Avery Johnson to become the team's starting point guard (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Point_guard). The two won an NBA title together in 1999.
Another one of Popovich's early moves in San Antonio was to trade Dennis Rodman (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Dennis_Rodman) to the Chicago Bulls (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Chicago_Bulls) for Will Perdue (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Will_Perdue).[6] (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/#cite_note-6) Rodman was not fond of Popovich, as he said in his first book Bad As I Wanna Be (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Bad_As_I_Wanna_Be)[citation needed (http://www.spurstalk.com/wiki/Wikipedia:Citation_needed)].

spurraider21
06-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Al Jefferson is a lousy, immobile defender who is something of a ball stopper on offense. His post moves take a while to get into, they're designed for a slow paced team, and that only makes his defensive liabilities more glaring. He also hasn't shot 50% for a season since he was on Minnesota. Dwight is also almost a full year younger. Clearly the superior player. I'm not saying one is more likely to join the Spurs than the other. Truth be told, neither is coming here. But IF Dwight did come to San Antonio, that tells me he cares about winning and not about being a diva or a star or w/e. If Dwight is going to continue to be immature and all, he wouldn't come to SA in the first place, so his character issues are all moot. If he wanted to stay a diva he'd stay in LA or go to Dallas. Going to Houston, or even moreso, to San Antonio, tells me he wants that chip. Jefferson is an awful fit because he can't play D and doesn't fit in our up-tempo, ball movement offense

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
Spurraider- Howard is a diva and I think he'll end up in Houston because Kobe basically called him out all year and Kobe has already said he wants to stick around for a chance at another two rings. Howard is not gonna stick around for that. But even Pop yelled at Howard during the All Star game for being an ass clown and trying to joke around when Pop was trying to talk. No way, no how Pop takes him on the Spurs. Is he a better player than Jefferson? Probably...we still dont know how that back is gonna recover. Two things that never fully heal to 100% are knees and backs. And I disagree with you saying Jefferson doesnt fit our up tempo ball movement offense. He may not be a defensive stopper but he is definately an offensive scorer in the paint and would be a big upgrade over Splitter.

TheGreatYacht
06-17-2013, 07:23 PM
I think the Spurs should talk to David West (or Al Jefferson) and Jarret Jack. Offer both of them a contract, convince them to take a little less $$$ with the hopes of winning an NBA title. I'm not sure about the Spurs salary cap situation but I'm pretty sure they are going to have some cap space with Manu being a free agent and Stephen Jackson's (originally Richard Jefferson) contract out of the way. Gary Neal will be a free agent. Spurs still have their amnesty clause. I'm pretty sure Manu will do what Duncan did which is to let the Spurs make their moves and signing of players and take whatever money there is left.

Mark in Austin
06-17-2013, 07:33 PM
one is a kunt and the other can't play pnr defense, so neither.

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 07:35 PM
one is a kunt and the other can't play pnr defense, so neither.

Not a lot of options out there, Mark. Its not like there is a consummate center sitting out there that can play offense and defense and is a great team player that is in his 20's and a free agent.

benefactor
06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
No.

Poolboy5623
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
No need for either...the spurs have baynes, remember?!

LakerHater
06-17-2013, 07:47 PM
Dwight but Al money makes more sence

Knoxxx
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I would go Dwight because he could flourish with our coaching and imagine him finishing the plays that Tiago can't. Either is such a big upgrade to Splitter its nuts. I have seen Jefferson have good defensive moments against Duncan so I would not underestimate him there, though Al's big edge is clearly offense.

sammy
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
I'd take Al Jefferson over the whiny princess Howard! Al Jefferson would fit with the Spurs!

FkLA
06-17-2013, 07:55 PM
Tiago Splitter

KL2
06-17-2013, 08:09 PM
SA needs to focus on signing a backup PG, someone that can run the offense, create for others, score a few points, give Tony some rest. That'd be huge for SA, I'm not sure Cojo or Nando can fill that role during the playoffs.

I think Baynes can be a solid nba player, a guy that can post up, play some defense, rebound, knock down a midrange jumper etc. He'll probably end up being better than any big the Spurs can afford, and he will be a steal at what he's getting paid.

SA needs a PG, an athletic PF that can defend (SA can probably draft one), and a big strong SF to backup Kawhi.

The Spurs can easily address 2/3 of these problems this off season and end up being a better team next year.

cjw
06-17-2013, 08:21 PM
Cojo is essentially a college junior right now. Give him time, he looked much improved this year. Definitely better than that other former UT point guard in DJ Augustin.

Assuming everyone is back outside of Blair, Neal and Bonner (and probably TMac), priority should be two-fold: (1) get a stretch 4 that can also play the 3 and (2) find another outside shooter for spacing that Neal and Bonner provide now (not sure Mills is that guy).

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-17-2013, 08:27 PM
wtf, win the title first.

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 08:32 PM
wtf, win the title first.

we've already won this thing.....dont worry about it.

100%duncan
06-17-2013, 08:34 PM
Kareem.

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 08:35 PM
Would you stop posting, 100%Duncan. I try to get to what you post but the girl keeps me focused on her.

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-17-2013, 08:38 PM
we've already won this thing.....dont worry about it.

last time I checked, we still need 1 game..

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 08:41 PM
last time I checked, we still need 1 game..

Pessimism is not your friend.

Birn
06-17-2013, 08:42 PM
I don't think Howard would fit for us. He demands too many touches in the post which duplicates what Duncan already does. I would only bring him in as a rim protector and rebounder, which he's not interested in doing. AL is a tad undersized as a post defender but is a steady low post scorer. Overall, I don't think either one fits our style of play. My preference is Pau Gasol. His length is ridiculous, he can shoot, pass, and rebound. He would be perfect in our system because of his ability to pass and create offense for others. You can actually run offense through him. LA may be interested in moving him if they resign Howard because they need to reduce their luxury tax hit for next season. His contract is enormous but only has one year left. I would offer up a S&T with both Tiago and Blair plus throw in Bonner, and Stephen Jackson's contract. Because SJAX's contract expires at the end of June, the deal would have to be consummated before the end of June. People forget that we still have Jackson's contract to include in a trade as a throw-in to make a deal work.

The other option, which is more likely, is to re-sign Splitter and bring in another young rebounding 4 either through the draft or free agency. I don't see anyone in the draft at pick 28 that would help us. My recommendation is try and work a trade for our pick at 28 with Houston for Thomas Robinson. Houston is desperate to shed salary so they can make their run at Dwight Howard. That's an opportunity to pick up a young lottery level talent with the 28th pick. Robinson was the 5th pick in last year's draft. His attitude and work ethic would fit well with the Spurs.

HemisfairArena
06-17-2013, 08:45 PM
I don't think Howard would fit for us. He demands too many touches in the post which duplicates what Duncan already does. I would only bring him in as a rim protector and rebounder, which he's not interested in doing. AL is a tad undersized as a post defender but is a steady low post scorer. Overall, I don't think either one fits our style of play. My preference is Pau Gasol. His length is ridiculous, he can shoot, pass, and rebound. He would be perfect in our system because of his ability to pass and create offense for others. You can actually run offense through him. LA may be interested in moving him if they resign Howard because they need to reduce their luxury tax hit for next season. His contract is enormous but only has one year left. I would offer up a S&T with both Tiago and Blair plus throw in Bonner, and Stephen Jackson's contract. Because SJAX's contract expires at the end of June, the deal would have to be consummated before the end of June. People forget that we still have Jackson's contract to include in a trade as a throw-in to make a deal work.

The other option, which is more likely, is to re-sign Splitter and bring in another young rebounding 4 either through the draft or free agency. I don't see anyone in the draft at pick 28 that would help us. My recommendation is try and work a trade for our pick at 28 with Houston for Thomas Robinson. Houston is desperate to shed salary so they can make their run at Dwight Howard. That's an opportunity to pick up a young lottery level talent with the 28th pick. Robinson was the 5th pick in last year's draft. His attitude and work ethic would fit well with the Spurs.

Give me a 28 year old Jefferson over a soon to be 33 year old Gasol.