PDA

View Full Version : Advice on moving..

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-17-2013, 07:30 PM
So yeah, I'm moving from Phoenix to Dallas as I've said before. It's either load up my car with as much as possible and buy what I can't bring when I get to Dallas (bed, couch, table, etc.) or find a way to move my old couch, bed, table, etc. cheaply enough where it makes sense. I'd prefer to do the latter since if I find a cheap way of moving that'll save me money and the hassle of going furniture shopping, but it'd be stupid to pay a moving company $1000 bucks when I'd spend around that much on new furniture.

I know Uhaul sounds like the obvious solution but I have no experience driving anything bigger than an SUV (not very much experience driving an SUV for that matter), let alone on a 1600 mile interstate drive. All the time driving from Tucson to Phoenix I see assholes driving a Uhaul on the I-10 who can't stay in their lane and have no business driving a truck and I'd be one of them.

I've heard of "tailgating" where you find a company that already has a truck going from Phoenix to Dallas and you can work out a lower price for them to take your stuff with since it's of little cost to them. Anyone have experience with that/know of companies where you can arrange that? Anyone with experience moving to another state have an idea that I didn't mention? Thank you and god bless.

Chris
06-17-2013, 07:37 PM
U-Haul is the way to go for long distance moving. They are the cheapest, and it's not difficult to drive one aside from the top winds moving you around a bit. Last time we moved you had to pay for the gas but it was a per day rental and it was very affordable.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-17-2013, 07:39 PM
U-Haul is the way to go for long distance moving. They are the cheapest, and it's not difficult to drive one aside from the top winds moving you around a bit. Last time we moved you had to pay for the gas but it was a per day rental and it was very affordable.
Did you have experience driving a U-Haul sized truck at all? Only reason U-Haul isn't a no-brainer decision is cause I'm nervous about driving one.

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:46 PM
I was that same way once upon a time. Then got stuck driving a huge UHaul truck, no big deal at all. Then thought...."I was worried about this?" They do have automatics.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-17-2013, 07:48 PM
I was that same way once upon a time. Then got stuck driving a huge UHual truck, no big deal at all. Then thought...."I was worried about this?"
I'm more worried for the people around me. It's not fair to other drivers on the road, I'd prolly just creep along in the right lane.

Avante
06-17-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm more worried for the people around me. It's not fair to other drivers on the road, I'd prolly just creep along in the right lane.

You'd start off that way, I did. Then you'd start realizing....this ain't shit.

Frank Dux
06-17-2013, 07:54 PM
Did you have experience driving a U-Haul sized truck at all? Only reason U-Haul isn't a no-brainer decision is cause I'm nervous about driving one.

It's not bad. I've done it cross-country with no experience driving over-sized vehicles. You get used to it pretty quickly on the road. And you should be able to rent one of their smaller trucks since it's just you moving. Main thing is to make sure the air conditioning works in the cab.

Destro
06-17-2013, 08:05 PM
if $1000 is too much for movers you likely don't have that much stuff worth keeping. It might be cheaper and easier to buy stuff from craigslist or Ikea when you get there. Bed, dresser, sofa, table, desk can be had for a few hundred bucks.

Driving a U-haul will not be a problem.

Ryan Fitzpatrick
06-17-2013, 08:12 PM
U-haul's are cake to drive, tbh...you probably only need a 14-15 footer too. Just don't be an ass on the highway and if for some reason you're having difficulty--then yeah, do as you said and get in the right lane. Slow drivers in the left lane are the lowest scum of the earth

CuckingFunt
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
So yeah, I'm moving from Phoenix to Dallas as I've said before. It's either load up my car with as much as possible and buy what I can't bring when I get to Dallas (bed, couch, table, etc.) or find a way to move my old couch, bed, table, etc. cheaply enough where it makes sense. I'd prefer to do the latter since if I find a cheap way of moving that'll save me money and the hassle of going furniture shopping, but it'd be stupid to pay a moving company $1000 bucks when I'd spend around that much on new furniture.

I know Uhaul sounds like the obvious solution but I have no experience driving anything bigger than an SUV (not very much experience driving an SUV for that matter), let alone on a 1600 mile interstate drive. All the time driving from Tucson to Phoenix I see assholes driving a Uhaul on the I-10 who can't stay in their lane and have no business driving a truck and I'd be one of them.

I've heard of "tailgating" where you find a company that already has a truck going from Phoenix to Dallas and you can work out a lower price for them to take your stuff with since it's of little cost to them. Anyone have experience with that/know of companies where you can arrange that? Anyone with experience moving to another state have an idea that I didn't mention? Thank you and god bless.

When I moved from California to New Orleans a few years ago I had a 16' truck towing my car on a trailer because I have too much crap I'm not willing to part with. One of my aunts made the trip with me, so I didn't have to do all of the driving myself, but it really wasn't that hard to drive something that big. You have to drive differently -- accept that you're going to be slower, and that you can't be as aggressive with passing or lane changes as you might be driving your normal car -- but it's not an insurmountable task.

jeebus
06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
Depends on the size you need.

http://www.uhaul.com/Trucks/

I'd driving nothing but small cars my whole life(think 2 door '92 Accord); when I joined the chair force, I had to drive something the size of those 10' trucks. It wasn't too hard, you just gotta take the turns a bit easier. Now I've driven up to a 14' truck and it wasn't hard at all imo. The 17' doesn't look all that more difficult either but I don't think you'll need one that big.

If a shithead 20 year old like myself could do it, you can drive them. Once you get on the freeway in between cities, it'll be a cakewalk. Your biggest problem will be smaller streets but it shouldn't be anything hard.

DPG21920
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
You are about to be making good money. Get rid of as much as possible and buy what you need.

Rogue
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
safety is the priority anyday. If you feel you're not capable of driving it, you better not try it for fun, for adventure or whatsover. Driving a big auto is completely different than driving a small car. The biggest vehicle I've every driven is a Chrysler Jeep, which I once drove when I was 4 and I only drove it for a few feet. I'm still driving bigger cars like a 11-seat van on abandoned roads when I feel bored, and I find it VERY difficult to control, and I know things would be even harder on a big truck or something

I'd rather cash-in on those stuffs and bring the money to dallas to buy new ones. basically anything you can see and buy in Phoneix can also be found and bought in Dallas, even though that means a considerable loss of money. I know you guys are all thrifty as Shylock but the real American methodology will never teach anyone to trade safety for anything imho.

The Reckoning
06-17-2013, 09:59 PM
penske ftw

JMarkJohns
06-17-2013, 10:56 PM
If you can afford it, sell off everything you have now that you don't need, then buy new stuff there, or rent furnished.

I've done all three. I regret my furniture accumulation. Some nice shit, and all, but I've spent thousands on purchase, transport, storage on items I could easily get in a furnished place.

If renting, get a nice TV/XBox/Computer system, misc, and go...

Everything else can literally be fixed with foam/down mattress toppers, slip covers, etc.

Trust me. If you already have a place that's unfurnished, buy there as you need.

JMarkJohns
06-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Also, if you think you're going to be in one place for at least three years, you could go to a furniture surplus store. Every big city has them. Get last years trends for 1/3 the price. Did that with my office and TV room, as I like the sleek chrome/glass look. Got a $700 desk for $299, a $500 TV stand for $199, and a $300 coffee table for $100.

Like I said, though, transport and storage if moving around sucks.

I've easily paid retail prices in my post-purchase moving. All my nice shot is currently in storage since I rented a furnished house this last year.

Took my entertainment/computer system and my photo gear, a few crates of clothes, and done.

DJR210
06-17-2013, 11:09 PM
You're gonna be cruising along I-10 for most of that journey, no worries. Most people will try and stay away from bigger vehicles anyway. Switching lanes in a U-Haul is about the only thing that was remotely difficult when we moved.