PDA

View Full Version : Does winning a title help a team lure big names in the free agency?

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-17-2013, 09:16 PM
guys, I know we still need 1 win to get that crown, hopefully they can finish that in game 6. Assuming that we will win the title, will that help us lure big names in the free agency period? This summer's free agency have some good names, Big Al, Iggy, Josh Smith and Howard to name a few..what do you think guys?

BatManu20
06-17-2013, 09:18 PM
You're 0-2 today.

The_Coyote
06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Oh yeah, because the Spurs' past four championships were HUGE draws to big-name free agents.

dunkman
06-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Basketball-wise Howard makes a lot of sense. He's perfect for the Spurs now and with Parker, Kawhi and Green, the Spurs will probably win additional titles if he signs as FA.

AASATX
06-17-2013, 09:38 PM
No, SA is a small market. We get all our big names via the draft. Or develop them ourselves. That being said I'm sure it doesn't hurt our chances, but at the same time I don't think it helps us any.

Brunodf
06-17-2013, 09:39 PM

TheGreatYacht
06-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Definitely. Here are some names from the past that the Spurs have acquired as a result of winning previous championships: Hedo Turkoglu, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley, Nick Van Axel, Antonio McDyess, etc. Winning championships makes other players sacrifice a little money just to have a chance at winning a title. I think the Spurs should go after Al Jefferson or David West, and Jarret Jack. I think if the Spurs really try and talk to these players, they can actually convince Jarret Jack and either Al Jefferson or David West to play for the Spurs. Of course this would mean losing Tiago Splitter unless he took a massive pay cut to remain on a championship caliber team.

sananspursfan21
06-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Gee you post a lot

td4mvp2k
06-17-2013, 09:44 PM
yes 4 FAs who want a title

sananspursfan21
06-17-2013, 09:45 PM
guys, I know we still need 1 win to get that crown, hopefully they can finish that in game 6. Assuming that we will win the title, will that help us lure big names in the free agency period? This summer's free agency have some good names, Big Al, Iggy, Josh Smith and Howard to name a few..what do you think guys?

Definitely. Here are some names from the past that the Spurs have acquired as a result of winning previous championships: Hedo Turkoglu, Robert Horry, Brent Barry, Michael Finley, Nick Van Axel, Antonio McDyess, etc. Winning championships makes other players sacrifice a little money just to have a chance at winning a title. I think the Spurs should go after Al Jefferson or David West, and Jarret Jack. I think if the Spurs really try and talk to these players, they can actually convince Jarret Jack and either Al Jefferson or David West to play for the Spurs. Of course this would mean losing Tiago Splitter unless he took a massive pay cut to remain on a championship caliber team.

Same poster, different profile... Ha! I've figured it out

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-17-2013, 09:48 PM
Same poster, different profile... Ha! I've figured it out

enks..you're wrong!

manufan10
06-17-2013, 09:51 PM
It won't bring in any major free agents, tbh. Just like the '99, '03, '05, and '07 championships didn't bring in any major free agents. The Spurs' name will also be used as leverage for some major free agent, but won't actually be coming here, i.e. Dwight Howard.

DJB
06-17-2013, 09:53 PM
Fuck all you faggots.

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Fuck all you faggots.

f*ck you too!

moisaenz
06-17-2013, 10:12 PM
No it does not if it would Spurs would have won two in a row..

Marcus Bryant
06-17-2013, 10:17 PM
TF?

capek
06-17-2013, 10:19 PM
Oh yeah, because the Spurs' past four championships were HUGE draws to big-name free agents.

You were awesome at getting the crowd pumped during game 5 btw. :tu

ShoogarBear
06-17-2013, 11:51 PM
I heard Derek Fisher wants to sign with the Spurs for Game 6.

Texas_Ranger
06-18-2013, 12:04 AM
just no Hedo Turkoglu...

JingleJangleJingle
06-18-2013, 12:40 AM
In 2003, the Spurs had just won a title, Tim Duncan was the best player in the world, the Spurs had a ton of cap space to offer a big deal to any FA, and we still couldn't sign any big name player...i somehow doubt the Spurs will lure anybody big in the offseason if we win a title.

TheGoldStandard
06-18-2013, 12:42 AM
No big free agent will ever come to san Antonio unless they're older and have made some money and want a chance at winning a title and do it the right way.

tesseractive
06-18-2013, 01:15 AM
:lmao

DesertSpur50
06-18-2013, 01:29 AM
I don't think success or market size has a lot to do with attracting FA's. After Dallas won in 11' no one was lining up at the door wanting to play for them. Hell, more people were going OUT the door than in. Of course, if you are a sizable market in a prime location (LA, MIA, NY) then you'll see a line form outside the building.

ThePop
06-18-2013, 01:31 AM
It's all about the money. You offer anyone enough money and they will accept.

dg7md
06-18-2013, 03:19 AM
If the players are smart, then yes: our system would make people like JR Smith look like perennial all-stars.

Problem is, players want exposure and highlights as much as rings. Unless, that is, they are in the dwindling years of their career when they can no longer make the highlight reels.

In short, it's completely unanswerable, but smarter players should come here and want a chance at a championship every single year as opposed to reliant on a fluke or one-in-a-million, successful run for a few seasons.

spurraider21
06-18-2013, 03:22 AM
role players will enlist especially after seeing how Gr33n is making a name for himself. stars wont come to SA

AchillesHeel
06-18-2013, 03:24 AM
Will attract some solid role players, like Horry in 04.

Mojazz
06-18-2013, 03:30 AM
No way... SA being SA, flying under the radar!

Mal
06-18-2013, 03:50 AM

:lmao

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-18-2013, 07:45 AM
In 2003, the Spurs had just won a title, Tim Duncan was the best player in the world, the Spurs had a ton of cap space to offer a big deal to any FA, and we still couldn't sign any big name player...i somehow doubt the Spurs will lure anybody big in the offseason if we win a title.

Kidd almost signed with the Spurs. He would have if it wasn't for his wife. He recently said he regretted not coming to the Spurs.

Same with Jermaine O'Neal (in his prime). He stayed out of loyalty for Isiah Thomas and Thomas gets canned before the season started. He said he regretted not coming as well.

With the new CBA, its going to harder than ever to pull another Heat stunt, so players realize the best bet on winning a championship is going to an organization with a Great Coach and great development program and FO. Look no further to all this coaching carousel this offseason trying to find the right coach.

OKC isn't a big market but Durant, Westbrook & Co. love it their b/c the fans, their coach(es), and their front office (former Spurs exec's).

Spurs can do a sign and trade this season. They will have a big cushion to sign someone to a big deal. Maybe the Rockets will return the favor (Scola), and trade Robinson to the Spurs for peanuts. Robinson would develop nicely in the Spurs System.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-18-2013, 07:50 AM
The previous 4 championships didn't really result in any big-name free agents, so why this one?

barakz21
06-18-2013, 07:52 AM
I don't think so. We had a PRIME TD, with an up and coming TP and Manu following the 03 title. We also had nice role players in Bruce and Malik, but we couldn't even get a washed up Mailman. Same thing for Kidd and O'Neal. Heck, the biggest name free agent we got was Finley (stats wise), and he was already on the downside when we got him. Oh, and that Horry guy (accomplishments wise).

Gervin44Silas13
06-18-2013, 08:06 AM
That is true in 2004 they had BIG money....however that was the choice of the players....Karl Malone...was another too....but it also depends if these players can adapt to the Spurs system we have seen a variety of role players who have and some never did....(aka Dick Jefferson and Stephen Jackson)...If players want to be coached they will come if they dont...then its egos on thier part (Howard) ....also take into account the greedy agents...and bitch ass basketball wifes.."uuhh uhhh i dont wanna go there!!!!" some players are stupid cause they have no balls (Jason Kidd). The Spurs system is about winning as a team....not about indivdual play.

Kidd almost signed with the Spurs. He would have if it wasn't for his wife. He recently said he regretted not coming to the Spurs.

Same with Jermaine O'Neal (in his prime). He stayed out of loyalty for Isiah Thomas and Thomas gets canned before the season started. He said he regretted not coming as well.

With the new CBA, its going to harder than ever to pull another Heat stunt, so players realize the best bet on winning a championship is going to an organization with a Great Coach and great development program and FO. Look no further to all this coaching carousel this offseason trying to find the right coach.

OKC isn't a big market but Durant, Westbrook & Co. love it their b/c the fans, their coach(es), and their front office (former Spurs exec's).

Spurs can do a sign and trade this season. They will have a big cushion to sign someone to a big deal. Maybe the Rockets will return the favor (Scola), and trade Robinson to the Spurs for peanuts. Robinson would develop nicely in the Spurs System.

lipton22
06-18-2013, 08:10 AM
No big free agent will ever come to san Antonio unless they're older and have made some money and want a chance at winning a title and do it the right way.
this
Spurs are in a small market town. An athlete won't get the great endurements and notoriety they would get in New York or LA. The only guys that seem to come here are guys who have already peaked. They may still be good at what they do but just not at their best. But it some times looks like we don't want to buy any talent. The closest we got was courting Jason Kidd and a healthy Jermaine O'neal. We would be a good fit for a player who loves the game but shuns the spotlight.

YODA
06-18-2013, 08:37 AM
I don't think so. We had a PRIME TD, with an up and coming TP and Manu following the 03 title. We also had nice role players in Bruce and Malik, but we couldn't even get a washed up Mailman. Same thing for Kidd and O'Neal. Heck, the biggest name free agent we got was Finley (stats wise), and he was already on the downside when we got him. Oh, and that Horry guy (accomplishments wise).

Just want to point this post out as correct. What title contending teams need are a mix of veterans and young players. What the Spurs have always had is this subtle combination. Veterans who know what needs to be done, with the experience not to be in aww of intense games. The young stars who can carry the team. The role players also being a mixture of veteran and young legs.

Finley and Horry are classic veterans, but there were many more of this type over the years like Dice, Terry Porter, Doc Rivers, Danny Ferry, Steve KErr, Nark Bryant, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, rasho Nesteroic, Kurt Thomas, Roger MAson, Richard Jefferson, Gary Neal, Will perdue,
Jerome Kersey, Mario Ellie. Carl Herrera, Chuck Person.
Just to name a few that I can think of.

I also believe that Bruce Bowen and the little General were both free agents. None of these players were super stars, but many of them were great role players. Could make some pretty good teams off this list.

barakz21
06-18-2013, 10:17 AM
Just want to point this post out as correct. What title contending teams need are a mix of veterans and young players. What the Spurs have always had is this subtle combination. Veterans who know what needs to be done, with the experience not to be in aww of intense games. The young stars who can carry the team. The role players also being a mixture of veteran and young legs.

Finley and Horry are classic veterans, but there were many more of this type over the years like Dice, Terry Porter, Doc Rivers, Danny Ferry, Steve KErr, Nark Bryant, Steve Smith, Kevin Willis, rasho Nesteroic, Kurt Thomas, Roger MAson, Richard Jefferson, Gary Neal, Will perdue,
Jerome Kersey, Mario Ellie. Carl Herrera, Chuck Person.
Just to name a few that I can think of.

I also believe that Bruce Bowen and the little General were both free agents. None of these players were super stars, but many of them were great role players. Could make some pretty good teams off this list.

I agreee with you bro. In terms of balance, I think the 03 team was the best in that regard. They had a good mix of veterans and young guys. If we win the championship this year, then the '13 team would beat the 03 team in terms of balance.

Mr Bones
06-18-2013, 10:23 AM
I can't imagine how much Jason Kidd regrets not coming to San Antonio, especially since he's not even with his wife anymore and she apparently was the main reason he didn't make the move. A Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Kidd team would have dominated from 2004-2008.

monkeypunk
06-18-2013, 10:26 AM
I can't imagine how much Jason Kidd regrets not coming to San Antonio, especially since he's not even with his wife anymore and she apparently was the main reason he didn't make the move. A Duncan/Parker/Ginobili/Kidd team would have dominated from 2004-2008.

We would have traded Parker for Kidd so it would have been Duncan/Ginobili/Kidd with Kidd now being 40. We'd be a middle of the road team without Parker right now, tbh.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-18-2013, 10:31 AM
We would have traded Parker for Kidd so it would have been Duncan/Ginobili/Kidd with Kidd now being 40. We'd be a middle of the road team without Parker right now, tbh.

From what I heard, the Spurs would have played Kidd at SG but the primary ball handler and Parker would have been the PG but playing more like a SG. It work beautifully for the Mavs with Kidd running the point and Barea playing more like shooting PG/SG back in '11. Kidd is such a team player and facilitator that I think Parker would have eventually bought into the idea of playing with Kidd very quickly.

Mr Bones
06-18-2013, 10:38 AM

Kidd was a free agent. There wouldn't have been any trade involved. Pop was on record saying he'd like a backcourt of Kidd at PG and Parker at SG, because then on defense Kidd could guard the opposing team's SG with his size.

naico
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
Not that much anymore, since the window is closing. We don't have young star players anymore.

2pac
06-18-2013, 11:00 AM
Think about all those big name free agents the Spurs have signed. Antonio McDyess. Brent Barry. Ime Udoka. Of course it does.

Keepin' it real
06-18-2013, 11:01 AM
http://www.basketballwalls.com/003/wallpapers/Rasho-Nesterovic-Spurs-Wallpaper.jpg

Vito Corleone
06-18-2013, 11:19 AM
FA will never a big option for the Spurs or any small market team. The 4 or 5 titles we have will only make us more like Green Bay Packers in the eyes of the media and Big name FA, but it will never make San Antonio a prime destination. The Spurs are better off building through the draft and supplementing their deficiencies with FA.

I trust RC to bring in the best talent when this team sucks and eventually he will have us back here. But don't expect that it will happen as quickly as it did in 1997

Brazil
06-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Like I give a shit

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-18-2013, 11:30 AM

I surely know the story about Kidd almost suiting up for the Spurs, but Jermaine, really don't have any idea that the Spurs lured him. wow, Imagine that front-court with TD at PF and JO at Center.

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Think about all those big name free agents the Spurs have signed. Antonio McDyess. Brent Barry. Ime Udoka. Of course it does.

McDyess and Barry were serviceable when they played for the Spurs, I don't know about Udoka.

MANUNG-Ginobili
06-18-2013, 11:34 AM
Like I give a shit

then don't comment you faggot!

Brazil
06-18-2013, 11:40 AM
then don't comment you faggot!

Like I give a shit of what you are saying

MANUNG-Ginobili
07-26-2014, 08:01 PM
so I guess winning a championship didn't work for us, but almost...