PDA

View Full Version : Should Diaw start Game 7 with Manu back on the bench?

SpurPadre
06-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Diaw worked wonders with TD in the 3rd quarter and provided a huge lift. Should we start with him at the 4 with Manu getting a little more time to get "re-energized" before subbing in? Diaw and Kawhi to start the game alternating on defending Lebron and trying to tax him as much as possible. I hope Pop is open-minded to it. This is not to say Manu can't still have an important role with the team on Thursday but we seriously need to cut down on turnovers and start with the best possible match-ups.

Darius Bieber
06-19-2013, 01:52 AM
Only problem is, we wouldn't have a spark to come off the bench.

Spurs21Fan4Ever
06-19-2013, 01:53 AM
Yes for sure, though he should never be our only big in, he can't rebound worth crap.

Shabazz
06-19-2013, 01:54 AM
Yes.

Manu needs limited minutes based on how he has played. Diaw has really stepped up in the last two games. He should be rewarded for it.

TheGreatYacht
06-19-2013, 01:54 AM
YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS. Anybody but Manu. Manu is fucking terrible. The Spurs had 13 turnovers in total. Eight of those turnovers were from Manu. Unfucking believable. Actually I agree, Diaw should start and he can defend Lebron. Leonard can defend Wade.

EIC
06-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Yes. Your heavy rotation is Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Diaw, Green.

You work in Neal and Splitter only for short stretches to spell guys. You put Manu in only because you realistically need an 8th guy. But you tell him to go into full-on Bonner mode: Catch and make safe passes on offense. On defense, guard your man and try to grab a rebound or two. No shooting or generally trying to do much of anything except consume oxygen.

Shabazz
06-19-2013, 01:55 AM
Only problem is, we wouldn't have a spark to come off the bench.

Diaw is providing his best offensive spark by sharing the ball to his teammates. The best offensive weapons are already in the starting lineup. So might as well get him out there with the starters.

SpurPadre
06-19-2013, 01:57 AM
I didn't want this to turn into a Manu bashing thread. I still want him to be the first off the bench but Diaw has shown a spark and good interior play along with crisper passes than Manu for larger stretches as of late, and I'd rather ride with that in a game where we can't afford more costly mistakes.

TheGreatYacht
06-19-2013, 01:59 AM
I didn't want this to turn into a Manu bashing thread. I still want him to be the first off the bench but Diaw has shown a spark and good interior play along with crisper passes than Manu for larger stretches as of late, and I'd rather ride with that in a game where we can't afford more costly mistakes.I understand but guess who kept leaving Mike Miller and Shane Battier open? You're damn right. Manu.

TrainOfThought5
06-19-2013, 02:03 AM
Yes. Your heavy rotation is Parker, Duncan, Leonard, Diaw, Green.

You work in Neal and Splitter only for short stretches to spell guys. You put Manu in only because you realistically need an 8th guy. But you tell him to go into full-on Bonner mode: Catch and make safe passes on offense. On defense, guard your man and try to grab a rebound or two. No shooting or generally trying to do much of anything except consume oxygen.

let Splitter go. Hes been beyond worthless. take a chance eith Blairs toughness and just tell him to grab every rebound like its his rookie year.

SpurPadre
06-19-2013, 02:05 AM
I understand but guess who kept leaving Mike Miller and Shane Battier open? You're damn right. Manu.

Yeah, and Danny Green left Allen open for that three. It was a collective FAILURE. The whole team choked this game away, even TD going 0-5 in the 4th. But now, we got no choice but start Game 7 on the best footing possible and I think that involves Diaw at the 4.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2013, 02:08 AM
Diaw should start, Manu should be riding pine for long stretches and have a short leash, the moment he makes 1 turnover he's benched till the 2nd half.

TheGreatYacht
06-19-2013, 02:09 AM
Diaw should start, Manu should be riding pine for long stretches and have a short leash, the moment he makes 1 turnover he's benched till the 2nd half.Bingo.

EIC
06-19-2013, 02:10 AM
let Splitter go. Hes been beyond worthless. take a chance eith Blairs toughness and just tell him to grab every rebound like its his rookie year.

Oh believe me, I want to. But we have to stay within the realm of reality here. This is Pop, after all. He's generally a few years behind the rest of us when it comes to recognizing which guys are playing like hammered dog shit.

Probably three or four years from now, Pop is going to jerk awake from a deep sleep with a panicked realization that Manu is playing like complete ass in the Finals and needs to ride the pine . . .

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-19-2013, 02:10 AM
Trust Timmy and the 2 amigos. Don't bench Timmy for Splitter or Diaw in the 4th quarter. Just let them play, cuz I'd rather the Spurs win or lose with the big 3 rather than relying on Neal and Diaw.

rmt
06-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Diaw can guard Lebron which allows Leonard to shut down Wade. Diaw can get TD the ball in the post and doesn't turn the ball over. Since Manu is not scoring, Diaw's passivity on taking the shot doesn't matter. Never ever have Leonard and Duncan on the bench at the same time - much less Spurs' 3 best players (TP, TD, KL) all at the same time. If Lebron is completely shutting down Parker's screen and rolls, try Neal with TD or Splitter instead of Manu. If Manu's going to turn the ball over, at least Neal won't be afraid to take the shot. If they are staying home on all the shooters, shutting TP down with Lebron and living with an old TD trying to beat them in the post, only Neal can shoot the mid-range, drive to the basket for a floater/bank shot.

Play TD, (Splitter when TD is resting), TP, Leonard and Green (for over 40 minutes each), Diaw, and Neal. Start Manu and see if he's playing well - if not pull him and give Neal his minutes.

Shabazz
06-19-2013, 02:11 AM
Yeah, and Danny Green left Allen open for that three. It was a collective FAILURE. The whole team choked this game away, even TD going 0-5 in the 4th. But now, we got no choice but start Game 7 on the best footing possible and I think that involves Diaw at the 4.

There was a scrum from the rebound, Allen was in the paint, and next thing you know he is out on the 3pt line taking that shot. It wasn't like Danny left him at the 3pt line wide open. He lost him as the teams collided for that rebound. That is why every announcer always says "the best 3pt shot in the one that comes after an offensive rebound." Because even the best of defenders can lose their men in those situations. But that is a getting off topic.

rasuo214
06-19-2013, 02:12 AM
I say no, start Manu and see which Manu shows up. If Manu is awful then have a quick hook and bring in Diaw. I agree with others that the best lineup has been TP, DG, KL, BD, & TD but they need someone else to show up (hopefully Manu).

ElNono
06-19-2013, 02:13 AM
Our bench is Tiago, Neal and Manu anyways these days... While I would check on the 1st half if Neal has something, I don't even think Tiago should see an extra minute this series. In other words, sure, why not.

It's the last game of the season. No point in resting players much anymore other than small stretches.

Shabazz
06-19-2013, 02:14 AM
Trust Timmy and the 2 amigos. Don't bench Timmy for Splitter or Diaw in the 4th quarter. Just let them play, cuz I'd rather the Spurs win or lose with the big 3 rather than relying on Neal and Diaw.

I'd rather the Spurs win by playing the guys who have demonstrated they deserve the minutes this postseason. This whole "lets ignore how awful Manu is because of how he used to play and lose the Finals as a result" mantra is ridiculous.

TrainOfThought5
06-19-2013, 02:17 AM
Oh believe me, I want to. But we have to stay within the realm of reality here. This is Pop, after all. He's generally a few years behind the rest of us when it comes to recognizing which guys are playing like hammered dog shit.

Probably three or four years from now, Pop is going to jerk awake from a deep sleep with a panicked realization that Manu is playing like complete ass in the Finals and needs to ride the pine . . .

I dont know... he knee jerked his ass off against the thunder last year, and cut stephen jackson ( who would be a great manu replacement right now). Anything is possible.

TrainOfThought5
06-19-2013, 02:18 AM
I'd rather the Spurs win by playing the guys who have demonstrated they deserve the minutes this postseason. This whole "lets ignore how awful Manu is because of how he used to play and lose the Finals as a result" mantra is ridiculous.

+1