PDA

View Full Version : Wasn't this supposed to be gravy?

ElNono
06-19-2013, 04:31 AM
Fuck it, I'm mailing this loss in. At least until Thursday night.

I know, we all got extremely greedy with 28 secs left. And the odds of that turn of events happening are incredibly slim. But they happened. Can't change it, or do nothing about it. Yeah sure, Pop sucks, Manu is done, Tony hero, Tim knee, Kawhi freebie, T-Mac saviour, coulda shoulda woulda... what's done is done.

But there's one more game to be played. I know our guys are tired, mentally exhausted, aging and all that. But the Heat has to be dinged up too. That was no walk in the park for them either.

Maybe our chances are slim. Maybe we need to have one of those nights where the 3 ball goes our way. Our defense sure as hell has been able to compete against the best defense in the league. That always gives you a chance. At this point, I'm not going to doubt this team. They left their hearts out tonight. I'm sure that, regardless if we play well or not, win or not, they'll leave their hearts out on the court again Thursday.

Entering this season we were not supposed to be here. And if we were lucky to make it this far, we were not supposed to be able to compete with the Heat. No team was.

Yet, here we are. Game 7 for all the marbles. We still have one more shot at this. This loss stung, but we have a shot to make it go away. Before giving up, let's give it a chance.

biziofromdowntown
06-19-2013, 04:35 AM
If only u should be right... please, carry me too.

sventhedog
06-19-2013, 04:38 AM
i agree. a win can fix anything/everything.

carina_gino20
06-19-2013, 04:41 AM
They are capable. First, they need to forget what happened in Game 6. Easier said than done.

#2!
06-19-2013, 04:42 AM
All things said and done we need to win one game. No more no less.

dg7md
06-19-2013, 04:44 AM
We haven't lost two in a row to them in the playoffs before. It's still doable.

siraulo23
06-19-2013, 04:50 AM
it was, then they were a FT or a rebound away from winning the championship

FUCK, cant get over this loss

jiggy_55
06-19-2013, 04:55 AM
Amazing post. As always: Believe.

FkLA
06-19-2013, 04:55 AM
It stopped being gravy when we realized our Spurs could hang with the Heatles. The truth is we threw away #5 and the chances of bouncing back from this are slim. I wish I could be positive or look at the glass half full but I just cant tbh. :(

mystargtr34
06-19-2013, 04:56 AM
I'm down .. come out fucking swinging . Will make it all the sweeter

Tim_duncan21
06-19-2013, 05:15 AM
I hope you're right

easjer
06-19-2013, 05:19 AM
I can't get there. It was literally just 12 hours ago I had gravy thoughts for the first time. I could not imagine a collapse of such magnitude. I've spent the night trying to sleep. Nothing. I can't process this right now. I sure hope Will Sevening handed out sleeping pills to the team tonight. 28 seconds away from the trophy presentation. Fuck me.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 05:33 AM
It stopped being gravy when we realized our Spurs could hang with the Heatles. The truth is we threw away #5 and the chances of bouncing back from this are slim. I wish I could be positive or look at the glass half full but I just cant tbh. :(

Pretty much this.

I was at first simply happy with a Finals berth and the fact the Spurs competed with the Heat. If tonight's game wasn't lost in tragic fashion and simply a result of the Heat imposing their will from wire-to-wire (and then following up game 7 with a blowout), I'd be content. It's clearly evident now that the Spurs are just as good as the Heat, maybe even a bit better, so to be so close and just give it away like that is a big stream of piss shot right into that bowl of gravy.

Spurs fans should tell themselves this can be the price of rooting for a team that is always in the thick of things. Tragic losses and chokejobs are bound to happen. Pretty much every fan of a perennially contending team has had to eat a shit sandwich like this one time or another. The only heartbreaking losses in our team's franchise history we're .4 and the Manu foul, which were rather tame (I know .4 still stings like a bitch, but you have to remember that was only in the West Semis and the Spurs didn't really to deserve to win that game, since they fell behind by 18 at home) when you compare those to shit like the '86 World Series, 18-1, Jose Mesa, Bartman, game 3 of the '06 Finals, Lakers blowing a 26 point lead at home in the '08 Finals, Scott Norwood, the list goes on.

Look at it this way, Spurs fans, we grew up tonight and finally experienced true heartbreak for the first times as fans.

It was simply our turn.

z0sa
06-19-2013, 05:34 AM
<3 the Know Know. I say take his advice and enjoy this moment fellas and ladies. The Spurs werent even supposed to be here. We watch their finest hours now. win or lose, friends, it is amazing beyond words.

smaka
06-19-2013, 07:18 AM
Believe in the sequence....... Spurs-Heat-Spurs-Heat-Spurs-Heat-???

Spurs9
06-19-2013, 08:08 AM
:flag::flag::flag:

We got this shit!

eric365
06-19-2013, 08:12 AM
Spo said : At the beginning of the seaon, we would have signed for a Game 7 at home in the NBA finals

I'm pretty sure everyone here would have signed for a Game 7 on the road in the NBA finals. At least I would have signed for sure

Budkin
06-19-2013, 08:15 AM
Too hard to get back in that mindset after what just happened. But I'll be there.

urunobili
06-19-2013, 08:22 AM
Believe in the sequence....... Spurs-Heat-Spurs-Heat-Spurs-Heat-???
That's the only magic to grab ourselves to vs. no team ever won a game 7 on the road in the NBA Finals...

smaka
06-19-2013, 08:30 AM
That's the only magic to grab ourselves to vs. no team ever won a game 7 on the road in the NBA Finals...

Actually they did. I don't recall which team and when exactly, but it was 30 and something years ago. I'm too lazy to check it out.

mudyez
06-19-2013, 08:31 AM

dbreiden83080
06-19-2013, 08:34 AM
No you can't make this wound heal faster by saying "This was supposed to be gravy" If we got killed in the series yes but not like this. You don't downplay being 28 seconds away from a ring with a 5 point lead..

urunobili
06-19-2013, 08:34 AM
Actually they did. I don't recall which team and when exactly, but it was 30 and something years ago. I'm too lazy to check it out.

non since the 2-3-2 format I should have clarified...

smaka
06-19-2013, 08:38 AM
non since the 2-3-2 format I should have clarified...

Oh, ok.

Well either way.. One team is gonna have to break the statistics. Remeber, Spurs won game 3, which gave them 92% (or somehting like that) chances to win the title, so in this case, stats screwed Miami. On the other hand, Spurs have to win "the impossible" game, which has never been won before by the road team.

I, with my whole achy breaky heart, hope and believe it will be the latter.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-19-2013, 08:46 AM
A lot of people on SpursTalk, I think, would have been surprised if you had told them, before the season began, that the Spurs would make it all the way to the Finals.

But expectations can change in an instant. Once the Spurs got a 3-2 series lead in the Finals, suddenly everyone was no longer satisfied with anything less than a championship.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-19-2013, 08:47 AM

Washington Bullets I think, 1978.

soxxx
06-19-2013, 08:53 AM
Sports is amazing, remember in 08, game 5, Rays on the verge of going to the world series, up 7-0 in the 7th inning. They choke game 5, they lose game 6, but then pull game 7 out instead of completely collapsing.

Lets be like the Rays rather the 86 Red Sox.

4down
06-19-2013, 08:55 AM
It's just that when a dog gets THAT close to having a taste, he REALLY wants that effin gravy, man.

But getting it taken away doesn't ever stop him from going for it again.

GSG

EVAY
06-19-2013, 09:05 AM
It is gravy. Everyone is disappointed that we didn't win last night, but here's the good news. We didn't lose the Championship.

We lost one game. There is another one. We will see just how mentally tough and resilient the team can be. In 2006, they were not mentally tough enough to overcome the setbacks...but they could have. In the .4 series, they were not mentally tough enough to come back from the disappointment to take back the series.

It is time to see if we can do it this time.

Even IF we don't...this was all gravy, guys...all gravy.

ezau
06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
Pretty much this.

I was at first simply happy with a Finals berth and the fact the Spurs competed with the Heat. If tonight's game wasn't lost in tragic fashion and simply a result of the Heat imposing their will from wire-to-wire (and then following up game 7 with a blowout), I'd be content. It's clearly evident now that the Spurs are just as good as the Heat, maybe even a bit better, so to be so close and just give it away like that is a big stream of piss shot right into that bowl of gravy.

Spurs fans should tell themselves this can be the price of rooting for a team that is always in the thick of things. Tragic losses and chokejobs are bound to happen. Pretty much every fan of a perennially contending team has had to eat a shit sandwich like this one time or another. The only heartbreaking losses in our team's franchise history we're .4 and the Manu foul, which were rather tame (I know .4 still stings like a bitch, but you have to remember that was only in the West Semis and the Spurs didn't really to deserve to win that game, since they fell behind by 18 at home) when you compare those to shit like the '86 World Series, 18-1, Jose Mesa, Bartman, game 3 of the '06 Finals, Lakers blowing a 26 point lead at home in the '08 Finals, Scott Norwood, the list goes on.

Look at it this way, Spurs fans, we grew up tonight and finally experienced true heartbreak for the first times as fans.

It was simply our turn.

Well said.

Jenks
06-19-2013, 09:16 AM
No you can't make this wound heal faster by saying "This was supposed to be gravy" If we got killed in the series yes but not like this. You don't downplay being 28 seconds away from a ring with a 5 point lead..
You absolutely downplay it, by winning tomorrow night.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-19-2013, 09:30 AM
Pretty much this.

It was simply our turn.

Excellently put.

pgardn
06-19-2013, 09:44 AM
Gravy tastes so much better after you have gulped sour milk.

This is painful, but it gives the opportunity to make game 7 so much more important. We will really get to experience the mental fortitude of this team. Some people are unable to wipe extreme disappointment away, it stays with them, and is deleterious to future performance. We really get tested on toughness now. Lets see if the Spurs melt like some on this board.

There are posters on this board I would never ever want to be in a tough situation with... Pure pussification. Panic, run to Momma. Mom is dead. Move on.

TDomination
06-19-2013, 09:52 AM
Gravy tastes so much better after you have gulped sour milk.

This is painful, but it gives the opportunity to make game 7 so much more important. We will really get to experience the mental fortitude of this team. Some people are unable to wipe extreme disappointment away, it stays with them, and is deleterious to future performance. We really get tested on toughness now. Lets see if the Spurs melt like some on this board.

There are posters on this board I would never ever want to be in a tough situation with... Pure pussification. Panic, run to Momma. Mom is dead. Move on.

Amen brother

Everyone is handing the trophy to Miami when they hasn't won shit. It's 3-3, we win Thursday and my goodness the heat fans and players hearts will be broken. They think they have this in the bag, but spurs have surprised us a lot this year, I think they will surprise us again on Thursday.

It's when everyone doubts them that they seem to excel.

ElNono
06-19-2013, 11:34 AM

ehhh... it's not about healing faster or downplaying it... just saying, before you cut yourself over that loss, give the team a chance Thursday... if we lose then, feel free to use the razor, tbh...

SouthernFried
06-19-2013, 11:37 AM
What do you lose by being positive?

Only the negativity.

Much has been made about Miami always coming back from a loss. Little has been made...that the SPURS always come back from a loss too.

Everything is going according to plan. Win 1 in Miami, Win 2 in San Antonio, Win 1 in Miami.

Cya Thursday :toast