PDA

View Full Version : Mavs facing difficult, perhaps obvious decision on Finley

Kori Ellis
07-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Mavs facing difficult, perhaps obvious decision on Finley
Associated Press
National Basketball Association News Wire

DALLAS -- As much as the Dallas Mavericks appreciate what Michael Finley has done for their franchise, simple economics make it likely they will soon say goodbye to their longtime leader.

The Mavs would save at least $51 million and perhaps much more by waiving Finley under a provision in the NBA's new labor deal known as the amnesty clause. This one-time escape hatch lets teams avoid the dollar-for-dollar luxury tax obligation on one contract.

The money owed will still count against the salary cap. And the player will still get his guaranteed money -- plus more from whatever team signs him next. Players can't rejoin the team that cuts them until after the existing contract expires. In Finley's case, that would mean no sooner than the 2008-09 season.

"We haven't given up on trying to figure out a way to get the savings and keep Mike in a Mavericks uniform," team president of basketball operations Donnie Nelson said Friday. "We've come up with creative solutions to problems before, and we're trying to pull a rabbit out of our hat again. But of the multiple scenarios, we're down to the last few. It's looking less and less likely."

Nothing can happen until the collective bargaining agreement is signed, which is expected by the end of next week. The amnesty opportunity expires once the upcoming season begins.

Finley's agent, Henry Thomas, declined to comment Friday. Finley is expected at a news conference Saturday for a charity baseball game in which Nelson and Mavs owner Mark Cuban will be playing. Finley will be managing instead of playing because he's recovering from ankle surgery, event organizers said.

"Mike has helped build this franchise into what it is today," Nelson said. "But all of us who are in professional sports know there's a dollar sign on our heads. That's just the way pro sports works. Still, it doesn't make these conversations any easier."

Finley is the longest-tenured player in Dallas. He was an All-Star before Steve Nash and Dirk Nowitzki were, then together that trio took the Mavericks from lottery regulars to perennial playoff qualifiers. With Nash leaving as a free agent last summer, Finley's departure would leave only Nowitzki from their "Big Three."

Finley's role in the franchise's rebirth was rewarded in 2001 when he signed a maximum contract of $100-plus million over seven years. He has three years left at annual salaries of roughly $16 million, $17 million and $18 million.

Yet Finley's production no longer merits anything near that.

His scoring average has dropped five years in a row -- from a career-best 22.6 points per game in 1999-2000 to 15.7 last season -- and his rebounds and assists have diminished plenty over that span, too. New coach Avery Johnson has even talked about bringing Finley off the bench next season.

Part of Finley's drop-off has been because of Nowitzki's emergence. However, at 32, the former dunk contest participant rarely soars anymore, hanging out mostly around the 3-point line for jumpers.

While the ankle surgery should improve his mobility, he's still not the iron man he was in his younger days. After playing the first 490 games of his career, reaching midway through his seventh season, he's missed at least 10 games every season since, including 18 last season.

Nelson said the club also is looking into trading Finley. The team must decide whether they're better off cutting Finley and collecting the luxury tax savings or dealing him and getting something back, albeit likely players who also have bloated contracts. The quality of the players they're offered and details of their contracts may ultimately make the difference.

Either way, Finley has probably worn his No. 4 Mavs jersey for the last time.

"We're continuing to compare notes and look for a win-win opportunity," Nelson said. "But at the end of the day, we've got to decide what is in the best interest of the Dallas Mavericks."

The bright side for Finley is that he would get to pick his next team -- perhaps reuniting with Nash in Phoenix, where he began his career until being traded to Dallas for Jason Kidd, or maybe returning to his hometown, Chicago.

boutons
07-15-2005, 08:44 PM
Tough, but if I werer looking at $51M coming down the pipe for suiting up, I think I could tough it out. :)

midgetonadonkey
07-15-2005, 09:30 PM
It kinda sucks, even though I'm not a Mavs fan, I always enjoyed watching him throw shit down. Looks like he'll be somewhere else next season.

SequSpur
07-15-2005, 10:22 PM
I would take the money and fucking chill.