PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Spurs fans, it could be worse.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 05:58 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT0r8wBL4QU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qE1mIT3CVPc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlXZznxWr_c

Trainwreck2100
06-19-2013, 06:00 AM
if the Spurs don't win they'll eventually get their own 30 for 30

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 06:12 AM
if the Spurs don't win they'll eventually get their own 30 for 30

"28 seconds."

I don't think they will since the Spurs don't really have a star-crossed history filled with near misses and chokes. We've had some heartbreak, with Rod Strickland, .4, and the Manu foul, but in the grand scheme of sports, those were rather tame compared to some of the more heartbreaking losses in sports history. We've been rather fortunate through the years and never had our hearts truly ripped out. And as I said in another thread, when you root for a team that constantly contends, something like this was bound to happen.

We grew up as fans last night.

Lakers fans (at least the older ones) dealt with this shit practically every year in the 60's and then again in '84. Most recently, they endured that 24 point choke. Pats fans, who root for the most successful NFL franchise of the past 15 years, had their hearts crushed in two straight Superbowls at the hands of a bitter rival, both losses defined by fluke plays (Tyree's catch; Welker dropping a gimmie). Yankees fans in '04. This would be an ordinary occurrence for a fan of Cleveland sports, the Boston Red Sox, or the Chicago Cubs.

Simply put, it was our turn.

AussieFanKurt
06-19-2013, 06:31 AM
Enough with this gee up bullshit. Of course its not the worst in history but it feels like cunt now and that is all that matters and we will lose game 7 too.....

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 06:39 AM
Enough with this gee up bullshit. Of course its not the worst in history but it feels like cunt now and that is all that matters and we will lose game 7 too.....

:lol I wouldn't be up right now and posting this thread if this shit didn't hurt. Just trying illustrate that heartbreak, sometimes extreme heartbreak on the level of losing a loved one (which sounds fuckin' ridiculous, but sports connect with us humans on some weird, irrational level that has us stupidly equating the results of a child's game with real world tragedy), is the price you pay as a fan, and that our "price" hasn't been as expensive as some fans of other teams.

100%duncan
06-19-2013, 06:53 AM
Fuck me if there's anything worse than that.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 06:58 AM
Fuck me if there's anything worse than that.

Being a Cubs fan.

Spurs got 4 of 'em for us fans, brother. Ask our bros Clipper Nation and DoK, one of whom is the fan of the worst franchise in NBA history and the other who cheers for the NBA version of the Boston Red Sox, if they would trade 1 choke job, have ever epic and devastating it might be, for 4 titles.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
This was worse, as well.

http://oi43.tinypic.com/1zp47dk.jpg

The Pats were 2 downs away from making history, and Tyree makes one the flukiest catches in NFL history.

Lngrr needs to post in this thread and tell us we don't know shit about heartbreak. Same with JoeTait.

Legacy
06-19-2013, 07:19 AM
:lol I wouldn't be up right now and posting this thread if this shit didn't hurt. Just trying illustrate that heartbreak, sometimes extreme heartbreak on the level of losing a loved one (which sounds fuckin' ridiculous, but sports connect with us humans on some weird, irrational level that has us stupidly equating the results of a child's game with real world tragedy), is the price you pay as a fan, and that our "price" hasn't been as expensive as some fans of other teams.

:rollin I don't get this shit, either... about the feeling of sports, fandom, and all the heartbreak, etc;... and I have been through some MAJOR life traumas and tragedies where I've almost died several times. Why is it like this? I feel so stupid sometimes as a "fanatic." Yet, I have survived natural disasters (volcanoes and earthquakes), had to go through 2 wars in one lifetime when I was in the military, and was pretty much homeless and starving when I finally got out of the military for years. Yes, even lost a loved one as well. ... Confuses the HELL outta' me. Why is it like this? Anybody??

AussieFanKurt
06-19-2013, 07:20 AM
fuck that argie cunt

I had to tape the game as I was at work... and having to sit though 6 hrs of nerves then the game just for that argie cunt to fuck it all up

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
:rollin I don't get this shit, either... about the feeling of sports, fandom, and all the heartbreak, etc;... and I have been through some MAJOR life traumas and tragedies where I've almost died several times. Why is it like this? I feel so stupid sometimes as a "fanatic." Yet, I have survived natural disasters (volcanoes and earthquakes), had to go through 2 wars in one lifetime when I was in the military, and was pretty much homeless and starving when I finally got out of the military for years. Confuses the HELL outta' me. Why is it like this? Anybody??

It truly is nonsensical and irrational. One of the mysteries (and beauties, I guess) of being human.

AussieFanKurt
06-19-2013, 07:21 AM
Why is it like this? Anybody??

There may be an explanation but mine is that following my teams is literally my earliest memory. I've invested so much time and passion in it that it builds up.. I have had way more lows than highs when it comes to teams I support but builds up

ezau
06-19-2013, 09:03 AM
"28 seconds."

I don't think they will since the Spurs don't really have a star-crossed history filled with near misses and chokes. We've had some heartbreak, with Rod Strickland, .4, and the Manu foul, but in the grand scheme of sports, those were rather tame compared to some of the more heartbreaking losses in sports history. We've been rather fortunate through the years and never had our hearts truly ripped out. And as I said in another thread, when you root for a team that constantly contends, something like this was bound to happen.

Lakers fans (at least the older ones) dealt with this shit practically every year in the 60's and then again in '84. Most recently, they endured that 24 point choke. Pats fans, who root for the most successful NFL franchise of the past 15 years, had their hearts crushed in two straight Superbowls at the hands of a bitter rival, both losses defined by fluke plays (Tyree's catch; Welker dropping a gimmie). Yankees fans in '04. This would be an ordinary occurrence for a fan of Cleveland sports, the Boston Red Sox, or the Chicago Cubs.

Well said. Puts everything in perspective.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2013, 09:06 AM
every sportscenter highlight play, has a spurs on the receiving end of it.....

ezau
06-19-2013, 09:08 AM
:rollin I don't get this shit, either... about the feeling of sports, fandom, and all the heartbreak, etc;... and I have been through some MAJOR life traumas and tragedies where I've almost died several times. Why is it like this? I feel so stupid sometimes as a "fanatic." Yet, I have survived natural disasters (volcanoes and earthquakes), had to go through 2 wars in one lifetime when I was in the military, and was pretty much homeless and starving when I finally got out of the military for years. Yes, even lost a loved one as well. ... Confuses the HELL outta' me. Why is it like this? Anybody??

I think it's because humans are really wired to "believe" and have "faith". Also, I think sports is the modern version of religious fanaticism. Just look at those who committed suicide bombings and wars in the name of religion. From an atheist's perspective, it doesn't really make sense, but for those who put their lives believing in that "faith", it's all worth all the trouble. That's just my two cents though.

JoeTait75
06-19-2013, 09:13 AM
"This would be an ordinary occurrence for a fan of Cleveland sports, the Boston Red Sox, or the Chicago Cubs.

TBH, the normal for Cleveland sports is non-contention, like the current Cavaliers/Browns/Indians. Stuff like the Drive, the Fumble, the '97 World Series- those were the good years.

Just be thankful the Spurs already had four titles under their belt before last night. This was the kind of game where, if it happens to a young team that hasn't won anything yet, can kill their spirit and really change the course of franchise history for the worse. Like what Game One of the '95 Finals did to the Magic. If any team can withstand this kind of stomach-punch game it's the Spurs.

TDMVPDPOY
06-19-2013, 09:18 AM
if the spurs won last night wouldve dismantled the supercheat roster

now we have to look at the spurs fake ass coatriding big 3

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 09:18 AM
TBH, the normal for Cleveland sports is non-contention, like the current Cavaliers/Browns/Indians. Stuff like the Drive, the Fumble, the '97 World Series- those were the good years.

Just be thankful the Spurs already had four titles under their belt before last night. This was the kind of game where, if it happens to a young team that hasn't won anything yet, can kill their spirit and really change the course of franchise history for the worse. Like what Game One of the '95 Finals did to the Magic. If any team can withstand this kind of stomach-punch game it's the Spurs.

:lol Really puts things into perspective. That for a Cleveland sports fan, that kind of heartbreak is considered the "good years."

Spurs fans have really been fortunate.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-19-2013, 09:26 AM

Truth bombs here, these kind of games will murder any kind of progress and up-and-coming team is making. The Rangers still being a solid team after the 2011 World Series (maybe they've regressed but that's largely due to personnel/injuries) is nothing short of very impressive. After a young team lost like that, then the next off season lost their best pitcher, I was sure they'd fall apart completely.

ezau
06-19-2013, 09:27 AM
We're spoiled, tbh.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 09:39 AM
Truth bombs here, these kind of games will murder any kind of progress and up-and-coming team is making. The Rangers still being a solid team after the 2011 World Series (maybe they've regressed but that's largely due to personnel/injuries) is nothing short of very impressive. After a young team lost like that, then the next off season lost their best pitcher, I was sure they'd fall apart completely.

I just hope Leonard isn't forever mentally fucked. He can rest easy knowing he played a near perfect game and I doubt this shit fazes him since he's actually been through real tragedy with his father being murdered in cold blood, but you never know.

Chris Webber's many chokejobs, one of which was the biggest one for an individual player in basketball history, seem to roll off his back. But Webber always struck me as guy who cares more about money and fame than winning, so he probably doesn't give a shit.

DUNCANownsKOBE
06-19-2013, 09:42 AM
The way Leonard played in OT he doesn't seem too rattled, tbh.

JoeTait75
06-19-2013, 09:49 AM
I just hope Leonard isn't forever mentally fucked. He can rest easy knowing he played a near perfect game and I doubt this shit fazes him since he's actually been through real tragedy with his father being murdered in cold blood, but you never know.

I thought Leonard did okay. He did hit one of the free throws which should have been enough.

It was just one those situations where every break had to go a certain away for things to turn out the way they did. You can't really put it on any one guy. There is no Nick Anderson or Jose Mesa or Chris Webber that you can single out.

Sportcamper
06-19-2013, 10:28 AM
Wondering if Phil Jackson would have sat TD & TP in crunch time...

The Gemini Method
06-19-2013, 10:57 AM
Caught the game with a shit load of transplanted Spurs fans and though I root for the Lakeshow, it was disheartening to feel the vibe afterwards. I was going to sign on and congratulate you guys on a 5th title but then it went downhill. Here's to catching fire for game 7.

The Reckoning
06-19-2013, 11:01 AM
once parker went hero ball i knew it was over. you could see the gears on the offense grind to a halt when he started forcing shit and not letting the offense set. leonard and duncan were on fire. they should have ran the offense through them down the stretch imo.

ezau
06-19-2013, 11:01 AM
Wondering if Phil Jackson would have sat TD & TP in crunch time...

Phil won't ever do that. Heck, he ran his best players to the ground all the fucking time. That's difference between Pop and Phil, which is why I think PJ is slightly better than Pop.

Durant82
06-19-2013, 11:06 AM
A woman could cut off your penis while you're sleeping and toss it out the window of a moving car.

SpursBills
06-19-2013, 11:20 AM

Chris Webber's many chokejobs, one of which was the biggest one for an individual player in basketball history, seem to roll off his back. But Webber always struck me as guy who cares more about money and fame than winning, so he probably doesn't give a shit.

At the same time, if the Spurs do end up pulling off a miracle and winning game 7, it'd go a long way toward accelerating the development of some of the younger guys in the future. Pretty much nothing's going to faze them ever again.

Phillip
06-19-2013, 12:30 PM
"28 seconds."

This. San Antonio has been very spoiled by their Spurs.

midnightpulp
06-19-2013, 12:39 PM
This. San Antonio has been very spoiled by their Spurs.

Indeed. The basketball gods simply took their pound of flesh from us last night as payment for all the heartbreak the Spurs have caused opposing fans over the years.

Just like 18-1 was "payment" for the fuckin' Tuck Bowl ;)

Killakobe81
06-19-2013, 01:01 PM

Great points Tait. Also the recent champ Lakers only had Fisher and Bean that knew how to both win after and before heart-ache. That team had a bunch of guys that never won ish and came back after that Game 6 trashing to win a title the next year. If anyone can overcome in ONE game's time it's the Spurs but ...

1. Lebron looms. Allen gave him a reprieve for his crappy 3 quarters and he had his stamp all over that game. How can I guy exeed 30 10 and 10 and people are still knocking him and tbh say it was a poor game from him? He can play even better that is why and that threat still lingers

2. Ultimate gut punch game. Very hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory THAT late in a NBA or any high level basketball game. Up 4 with less than a minute and Manu on the FT line that game should be over. And if the Spurs dont win tomorrow especially if they go on a extended tite drought this shit will hurt for a long, long time. For fans and players. Bird has talked often how 1987 hurts more than winning in 86 felt good. And part of taht is because he never got back to the Finals. his near miss in teh Magic baby hook shot game haunts him almost as much as losing the NCAA title game. When you are THAT close. it sucks.

whitemamba
06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
Great points Tait. Also the recent champ Lakers only had Fisher and Bean that knew how to both win after and before heart-ache. That team had a bunch of guys that never won ish and came back after that Game 6 trashing to win a title the next year. If anyone can overcome in ONE game's time it's the Spurs but ...

1. Lebron looms. Allen gave him a reprieve for his crappy 3 quarters and he had his stamp all over that game. How can I guy exeed 30 10 and 10 and people are still knocking him and tbh say it was a poor game from him? He can play even better that is why and that threat still lingers

2. Ultimate gut punch game. Very hard to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory THAT late in a NBA or any high level basketball game. Up 4 with less than a minute and Manu on the FT line that game should be over. And if the Spurs dont win tomorrow especially if they go on a extended tite drought this shit will hurt for a long, long time. For fans and players. Bird has talked often how 1987 hurts more than winning in 86 felt good. And part of taht is because he never got back to the Finals. his near miss in teh Magic baby hook shot game haunts him almost as much as losing the NCAA title game. When you are THAT close. it sucks.

luke walton? :lol