PDA

View Full Version : Free Agent: Maurice Evans

timvp
07-15-2005, 07:46 PM
http://www.nba.com/media/act_maurice_evans.jpg http://www.nba.com/kings/images/kings_logo.gif

Maurice Evans | 5
Position: G
Born: Nov 8, 1978
Height: 6-5 / 1,96
Weight: 220 lbs. / 99,8 kg.
College : Texas '01

Info (http://www.nba.com/playerfile/maurice_evans/)

The Express-News named him as a possible addition to the Spurs. He went undrafted but played for the T'Wolves in '01-02. Then after a couple successful season overseas, he had a pretty good season with the Kings last year.

He went to college at UT, so that could sell a couple more season tickets...

Solid D
07-15-2005, 07:48 PM
Can jump over the gym after he's jumped out of it.

timvp
07-15-2005, 07:50 PM
Evans waits in wings for Kings
http://www.kitsapsun.com/bsun/sp_pro_basketball/article/0,2403,BSUN_19106_3930029,00.html
By MARTIN McNEAL
July 14, 2005

One might think news of Cuttino Mobley's plans to sign a five-year, $42 million deal with the Los Angeles Clippers also would increase the chances that free-agent swingman Maurice Evans will return.

That is not necessarily the case. Perhaps the best-case scenario for the Sacramento Kings as well as Evans would have been the team's ability to execute a sign-and-trade deal with Mobley, the team's starting shooting guard last season, that would have brought a bigger and more physical power forward to Sacramento.

That would have allowed the Kings, who are over the salary cap, to retain their mid-level exception (approximately $5 million) and use some of it to re-sign Evans. However, if the Kings decide they still want to improve at power forward, as flirtations with Shareef Abdur-Rahim, Antoine Walker and Nene suggest, they'll either have to do so via a trade or use that mid-level exception and, in that case, likely lose the ability to re-sign Evans.

Geoff Petrie, the Kings' president of basketball operations, said Thursday that using the entire mid-level exception on anyone other than Evans could make it difficult to retain the athletic 6-5, 26-year-old. But Petrie knows that much of free agency and offseason trade activities have yet to play out.

"All our options still are open," he said with a snicker when asked about not having made any agreements with free agents Mobley, Evans or Darius Songaila.

The Kings, as well as players' agents, do not know all the specifics of the new collective bargaining agreement. Under the old agreement, there was a "million-dollar exception" (raised to $1.7 million last season) that could be used every other season. Petrie, who used that last season to re-sign Songaila, does not know whether teams can use that exception again.

Roger Montgomery, Evans' agent, said he and Petrie spoke Thursday afternoon.

Because the NBA agreement was reached late last month, teams will not be able to sign free agents until today at 3 p.m.

Sounds like he could be available. I'd put him in the category with DJohnson, RWhite and JJones. Any one of those four would make this team more athletic on the perimeter.

Mr. Body
07-15-2005, 09:52 PM
Superathletic. Doesn't fill a need at all (either for him or for us).

MI21
07-15-2005, 11:10 PM
He is long and athletic, could be a nice addition for spot minutes on other long and athletic players. Would go well running the floor with Tony and Manu.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 12:14 AM
Guys, as you know I'm from Sac and have seen Maurice play a ton. He is an awesome player. Trust me on that. He is better than anyone else the Spurs could get right now. I might even take him over Devin. He is better overall. If the Kings resign him, he will be their starting SG next year.

Did you forget that you weren't supposed to be in this forum?

And on Maurice Evans, isn't he too short for what the Spurs are looking for in a back 3?

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 12:23 AM
U told me I had a 24 hour ban. It has been 24 hours.

40 more minutes, but forget it.

He is a very long player. Incredibly athletic, long arms, can rebound offensively and defensively, shoot the corner three. He isnt any bigger than Devin. He is 6'5" or so. Trust me, Maurice>>>Devin and I love Devin. Devin has a better overall shot I think but Maurice can do everything else better.

Yeah, I know all about him. And if the Spurs were looking for a backup shooting guard, then he'd fit the bill. But I think they are looking for someone who is a little bigger than he is -- but maybe not.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2005, 12:32 AM
He is better than anyone else the Spurs could get right now. I might even take him over Devin. He is better overall

Um, no.

Nikos
07-16-2005, 01:45 AM
No point in getting him when the team needs a long or legit 3.

Sense
07-16-2005, 03:02 AM
Dude I am a huge Devin Brown fan. However I know for a fact Maurice is better. I guarantee it, and if the Spurs sign him, you will see for yourself. Pop in some Kings games from last year and you will agree with me 100%.

If you really think so... you don't know shit about basketball...

The players in the bench in SAC are all fuckin hype to that crowd.. and that's what I'm hearing from you.

I don't like Evans.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 03:32 AM
He averaged 10 points and 5 boards in the 11 games he started last year .. on 42% FG and 34 mpg in those starts. Not bad, but not anyone that qualifies as "sick". He'd be a good pickup for someone and the Spurs like him. I just think they have other priorities besides a shooting guard. But who knows - maybe Devin isn't coming back.

Sense
07-16-2005, 03:35 AM
If you put up their stats from last year (evans and brown) side by side, they are practically the same. However last year was basically a rookie year for evans. both are 6'5" 220 lbs and went to school in Texas. that is weird.

Evans has played 43 mins in one game and had 7 OFFENSIVE boards as a SG.impressive for a bench player. ey?

I agree with Kori...

Plus on the fact that when you are on a defensive team, and you come from the bench, usually you won't get numbers... Sacramento always used their young bench players/rookies for their running and passing... none of them played any defense.

That doesn't make someone good.

Sense
07-16-2005, 03:38 AM
Devin's back is obviously concerning Buford. Evans is durable, tough, more athletic, and better overall. I love Devin though. I just wish he was 100%.

I say he is sick based on his dunks. I have seen some of them in person and they have sent chills down my spine. Not many guys do that.

Are you talking about Evan's dunks??

does he even dunk?

Sense
07-16-2005, 03:42 AM
U are wrong about Evans defense. He is an incredible defender. This past year has been the only year Sac has ever had tons of young guys on their bench. In the past, they had the strongest bench in the league (ie Peeler, Bobby Jackson, Hedo, Pollard, Songaila, and so on). I dont want to sound like i jock evans or anything, im just saying he would be a tremendous pickup. however he might be undersized at the 3 position. but if devin doesnt resign, we need a guy like evans

Omg, please don't go that far...

I understand you're in SAC, but that doesn't mean that you know everything about the team.

Sense
07-16-2005, 03:46 AM
only one of them is from the nba... and it's not even a good one.

I can't believe you just called him one of the best in the nba..

Spursdaone
07-16-2005, 12:10 PM
Maurice Evans would be a great pickup for San Antonio. He plays great defense and is improving his shooting. He already is a great dunker but if he improves the rest of his game that would be huge. Maurice Evans=Devin Brown. I thought that Evans should've played over Mobley against Seattle because Mobley couldn't guard Allen and I feel Evans could. Pick him up and play Ginobili at the 3 or Evans.

BigDiggyD
07-16-2005, 02:46 PM
I have not seen Evans play much so I cannot base any opinion on that but looking at the numbers Brown beats him in almost every statitical category (per 48 min) both at the same age, same experience level, and for career. Based on that, and the fact Brown is a Spur and will require no "retraining" he is the better option..... if he is healthy... and the price is comperable.

timvp
07-22-2005, 05:27 PM
This just become a much more real possibility. Mo Evans probably won't be re-signed now by the Kings. The Kings have a bunch of players at his position now after the Bonzi Wells trade and have holes at point guard and power forward. They don't have any Bird rights to him, so they'd have to use part of the MLE to re-sign him.

I know that RC Buford is high on him. They went to the same high school and last year Buford said it was a "mistake" that the Spurs didn't go after him and let the Kings get him.

If Devin leaves (for whatever reason), this is the replacement. Even if Devin stays, Evans would be a good edition. The only drawback is he's another player who is about the same height as Devin and the Spurs would still be missing the "long three".

ace3g
07-22-2005, 06:09 PM
http://photostore.nba.com/perl/get_image?size=480_art&provider_id=202&ptp_photo_id=110661

http://photostore.nba.com/perl/get_image?size=480_art&provider_id=202&ptp_photo_id=110659

http://photostore.nba.com/perl/get_image?size=480_art&provider_id=202&ptp_photo_id=110652

timvp
07-22-2005, 06:11 PM
Who gives a fuck about a long three. Maurice is better. You guys will see how good he is....I GUARANTEE THIS SHIT....he is the real deal. i know the kings still want him though. he is a huge fan favorite...

It doesn't look like the Kings can keep him. They have Peja, Wells, Martin, Garcia and Williamson who play his position. _ramento needs a point guard and a power forward more than another small forward.

timvp
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
Evans won't make much for than what the Spurs have to offer.

We'll see.

Kori Ellis
07-22-2005, 06:17 PM
I think the Spurs would only go for him if Devin isn't coming back. He wouldn't get any playing time otherwise.

ace3g
07-22-2005, 06:40 PM
http://www.basket-plus.com/images/NBA/NBA%202004-05/Evans_vs_Richardson.jpg
http://imgs.idnes.cz/nba/A050402_ROU_CLEV1_V.JPG

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/2005/02/16/v021601A.jpg

http://www.basket-plus.com/images/NBA/NBA%202004-05/Boozer_vs_Maurice_faul.jpg

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Basketball/NBA/2005/03/30/v033046A.jpg

ace3g
07-22-2005, 06:46 PM
looks aggressive in those pictures; and again I know we need a long 3(my choice would be nocioni but we cant get him without either some type of sign and trade or wait till he is a FA in '07) We didnt really get burned by big 3's last season; and for short term I wouldnt mind Evans if we signed him. We all have to wait and see what the spurs plans are considering they are the best about not letting their plans get out to the press; that is why when FA comes along I am so excited because when we do sign someone, I am like "wow didnt see that coming, or this guy will definitely help us out"

BadlyDrawnBoy
07-23-2005, 01:52 AM
He's agressive.

He's athletic.

He's probably a legit 6'5.

He lives in San Antonio

Sign him up.

ace3g
07-23-2005, 11:36 PM
Sacramento guard Maurice Evans, also a restricted free agent, is among those options. After averaging 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 65 games last season for the Kings, Evans has "significant interest" in joining the Spurs, his agent said Friday.

The Spurs know Evans well. He played the 2000-01 season at the University of Texas, works out at the Spurs' practice facility during the summer and recently purchased a home in San Antonio.

"He really likes it here," said Evans' San Antonio-based agent, Roger Montgomery. "Obviously, he's still a restricted free agent, but I think he would be a good fit with the Spurs. We'll just have to see what happens."

Having already agreed to three-year contracts with Robert Horry and Fabricio Oberto, the Spurs have about half of their $5 million midlevel exception remaining, as well as a lesser $1.6 million exception. The Kings, who would have 15 days to match any offer sheet Evans signs, may be less interested in keeping him after agreeing Friday to acquire swingman Bonzi Wells from Memphis.

Like Brown, Evans is 26 years old and measures 6-foot-5, 220 pounds. While Evans is slightly more explosive, one scout considers Brown a little better all-around player.

Whether it's Evans, Brown or someone else, finding an athletic wing player is among the Spurs' top remaining priorities. The team likely won't pick up Linton Johnson III's option except to include him in a trade.

Link (http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072305.1D.BKNspurs.brown.eb2ae8.html)

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 11:41 PM
Evans is a legitimate 6'5. He measured 6'5.25 at pre-draft camp and has a 6'8 wingspan. I think if Devin isn't coming back and Sacramento isn't re-signing him, they'll give him a good look. They'll also be looking at Melvin Sanders for this role.

ace3g
07-23-2005, 11:42 PM
yeah I know, I saw that article about sanders on WOAI.com

ace3g
07-23-2005, 11:43 PM
whats up with with the last part of that article; about the spurs wont pick up the Option on LJIII unless he is included in a Trade

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 11:45 PM
whats up with with the last part of that article; about the spurs wont pick up the Option on LJIII unless he is included in a Trade

It looks like they aren't planning on having him back, but might use him as part of a sign-and-trade.

mavsfan1000
07-23-2005, 11:49 PM
Maurice Evans isn't that good. He plays much better as a starter than on the bench. He struggles with shooting big time. He could be wide open and be missing shots. All his shots are wide open because teams know he can't hit it normally.

Kori Ellis
07-23-2005, 11:53 PM
He plays much better as a starter than on the bench.

:wtf His shooting percentages were actually horrible as a starter and good as a bench player.

Mr. Body
07-23-2005, 11:55 PM
Excepting his bad back, Devin Brown is the better player right now. Has more NBA experience and does many of the same things. Remember, these players are both almost 27 - born one month apart. Which one do you think is more likely to be a full-time starter in this league? Definitely Brown.

But as bench filler, a guy who can get in there and work, this is the kind of guy you want. To call him a SF is foolish, however.

mavsfan1000
07-23-2005, 11:56 PM
My bad. It seemed like the kings played better when he was a starter than Mobley but I didn't get too involved with it.

timvp
07-24-2005, 12:14 AM
The only way I sign Evans over Brown is if Brown's back is finished. Otherwise, I'd re-sign Brown in a second.

And with the way the Spurs have played this out by portraying Brown as an injury risk, it'll cost around LLE money to re-sign him. That'd be well worth it.

ducks
07-24-2005, 10:09 AM
What's next move for Kings?
July 24
Sacramento Bee: "Meanwhile, athletic swingman Maurice Evans, who impressed with his jumping ability, hustle and competitive nature, works out in San Antonio, Texas, and wonders if there remains a place for him in Sacramento."

ace3g
07-24-2005, 10:20 AM
Evans lives in SA in fact he just bought a house in SA recently, and has been working out at the spurs practice facility every summer since it has been open.

It is not like the spurs are scouting him there or anything like that; although if they cant resign brown they will go after either Evans or Matt Barnes

Taking it to the Hole
07-24-2005, 02:04 PM
I think the risk involved with Devin is too great. Nobody knows the extent of the injury and I'm not even sure the Spurs know. I think they may be willing to take a chance on Evans over Devin because there is too much uncertainty involving Devin's back. I want Devin to come back, but it looks like that possibility is diminishing everyday that goes by. Evans may be just what we need. He has pure physical athleticism and can bring energy off the bench much like Manu used to when he first came here. You need energy coming off of the bench, especially in the backcourt. I don't think Evans is the answer at the 3 because he is too small, but he plays decent D and can probably learn more playing with Bruce. I just think that the Spurs can't lose their edge. If Devin reinjures his back, then we are left with a player on the injured list and an empty roster spot, and reduced depth in the backcourt. Evans is just a safer bet right now in my view.

ace3g
07-24-2005, 02:25 PM
Sonics, Spurs, Pistons And Wolves Ready To Go After Evans

Sacramento Bee - Roger Montgomery, Maurice Evans' agent, said Saturday the Kings have not aggressively attempted to retain his client.

"Based on their recent acquisitions," Montgomery said, "I would have to infer the Kings are not really into re-signing Maurice. They have not been proactive pre-Bonzi Wells and post-Bonzi Wells. So I'm led to infer they have other plans that don't include Maurice."

The Timberwolves, Spurs, Pistons and Sonics all appear interested in Evans.

If anyone is registered at sacbee.com can you post the rest of this articleLink (realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/36766/20050724/sonics_spurs_pistons_and_wolves_ready_to_go_after_ evans)

tempest186
07-24-2005, 04:59 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_a..._after_ evans/

What's next move for Kings?
Maurice Evans would like to know, too, but he is not optimistic about returning.
By Martin McNeal -- Bee Staff Writer
Published 2:15 am PDT Sunday, July 24, 2005

Shooting guard Cuttino Mobley has agreed to a five-year, $42 million contract with the Los Angeles Clippers. Bonzi Wells has been imported from Memphis to replace Mobley.
Meanwhile, athletic swingman Maurice Evans, who impressed with his jumping ability, hustle and competitive nature, works out in San Antonio, Texas, and wonders if there remains a place for him in Sacramento.

Roger Montgomery, Evans' agent, said Saturday the Kings have not aggressively attempted to retain his client.

"Based on their recent acquisitions," Montgomery said, "I would have to infer the Kings are not really into re-signing Maurice. They have not been proactive pre-Bonzi Wells and post-Bonzi Wells. So I'm led to infer they have other plans that don't include Maurice."

Evans, 26, surprised many observers by making the Kings team as a free agent last fall and then averaged 19 minutes in 65 regular-season games, including 11 starts.

During the Kings' season-ending, Game 5 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics in the first round of the playoffs, Evans replaced Mobley, who had injured a toe, and made each of his five field-goal attempts and scored 13 points in 33 minutes.

Evans may have other options, although the ability to deliver an offer sheet ultimately will tell all.

The Minnesota Timberwolves, with whom Evans played 10 games during the 2001-02 season while establishing a strong relationship with star forward Kevin Garnett, clearly have a need with the expected loss of Latrell Sprewell. The Timberwolves did draft North Carolina's Rashad McCants with their first-round pick, but Evans would seem to fit.

Moreover, new coach Dwane Casey was on Seattle's staff last season and watched Evans play well against Sonics star Ray Allen.

It also is believed the Detroit Pistons and San Antonio Spurs have interest in Evans.

Evans said he believes in his talents and is working daily to improve.

"I think they pretty much speak for themselves," Evans said of Mobley's departure and the trade for Wells that sent away Bobby Jackson and Greg Ostertag. "I can't question (Kings president of basketball operations) Geoff Petrie. He's a great (executive), and he's one of the main reasons why the Kings have been one of the top teams in the league.

"But I don't know why he wouldn't want to re-sign a player of my caliber and potential. I'm going to be a good player for whoever I play for."

Petrie said this week he would continue to talk to Montgomery and Mark Bartelstein, who represents Sacramento's other restricted free agent, forward Darius Songaila. Petrie said he anticipated the outcomes of those talks to take a few days to unfold.

Often, it's the salary numbers that work against players, but this time it could be the imbalance of Sacramento's backcourt. The addition of Wells and the selections of Kevin Martin and Francísco García, respectively, in the past two drafts give the Kings three swingmen capable of playing shooting guard and small forward, but just one point guard, Mike Bibby.

Petrie said the Kings will address acquiring a backup for Bibby.

The Kings also need a backup small forward for Peja Stojakovic. Evans would fit that bill and also be capable of moving to shooting guard. However, the salary cap could be a factor because the Kings would have to decide how much they want to pay a player who ostensibly would receive limited playing time.

From Evans' perspective, he'd like to sign for as much money and receive as much playing time as possible. It is conceivable the Kings could do a sign-and-trade with Evans that could bring a backup point guard.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 04:41 AM
Wolves interested in bringing back Evans

BY RICK ALONZO
Pioneer Press

http://www.twincities.com/mld/twincities/sports/12272446.htm

With the free-agent signing date starting Tuesday, the Timberwolves are showing significant interest in bringing back former Wolf Maurice Evans, his agent, Roger Montgomery, said.

Evans is a restricted free-agent swingman for Sacramento. He seemingly would fill a need for the Wolves, who are emphasizing defense under new coach Dwane Casey. Evans, a 6-foot-5 athletic wing, fits that mold.

"Coach Casey really likes Maurice," Montgomery said Sunday. "He got to see Mo up close and personal in the playoffs (last season). He was really intrigued by what he brings to the table."

Evans signed a free-agent contract with the Wolves as an undrafted rookie out of Texas. He played in 10 games as a rookie during the 2001-02 season. But Minnesota released him just before the start of the 2002-03 season.

He played with Olympicos in Greece and then Benetton Treviso in Italy. He returned to the NBA last season.

Evans, 26, averaged 6.4 points and 3.1 rebounds in 19 minutes a game with the Kings. He played in 65 games and started 11 times. He shot 44.2 percent.

"Mo is a defensive-minded player," Montgomery said. "He can shoot the jump shot, which was a knock on his game in the past. Now he shoots it with consistency."

The Wolves face competition for Evans, who also is attracting interest from Seattle and San Antonio.

Sacramento has the right to retain Evans by matching another team's contract offer. Free agents can reach contract agreements at any time but can't sign a new deal until the moratorium ends Tuesday.

The Spurs hold an advantage. Evans recently bought a home in San Antonio, just down the street from his agent.

But the Wolves have something in their favor. During his rookie season, Evans developed a close friendship with Wolves forward Kevin Garnett. When Evans returned from playing in Greece, he briefly lived with Garnett.

Evans has plans to start working out soon with Garnett in California, where the Wolves star has a home.

"K.G. took Maurice under his wings and kind of showed him how to be a professional," Montgomery said.

Kori Ellis
08-01-2005, 01:36 PM
It'll be interesting if the Kings match on him. I don't think they will.

Bruno
08-06-2005, 03:47 PM
it seems that wolves have chosen Damien Wilkins ($15M/5 years)

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/sonics/2002423819_soni06.html

Wilkins to Minnesota

Damien Wilkins, a Sonics restricted free agent, is expected to sign a five-year, $15 million deal with the Minnesota Timberwolves, NBA sources say.

The Sonics, who were hoping to retain the 25-year-old forward, have the option to match the Timberwolves' offer but are unlikely to do so because of the amount of money in the deal.

Wilkins, who averaged 6.3 points in 29 games during his rookie campaign last season and performed admirably in the playoffs in place of injured regulars Rashard Lewis and Vladimir Radmanovic, had also been considering an offer from Portland.

The Trail Blazers are now led by ex-Sonics coach Nate McMillan.

The Timberwolves pursued Wilkins based on advice from new coach Dwane Casey, who left the Sonics' staff this summer after 11 seasons with the club to take over in Minnesota.

ChumpDumper
08-06-2005, 04:15 PM
Damn, at this rate Noel Felix might start for Seattle next season.

Kori Ellis
08-06-2005, 04:17 PM
Damn, at this rate Noel Felix might start for Seattle next season.

:lol

I think they'll be able to retain Radman (probably one year) and get back Reggie and Flip. But so far they haven't done anything but re-sign Ray and sign Brunson. I guess cap space isn't all that it's cracked up to be.