PDA

View Full Version : The play nobody is talking about: Neal falling asleep on D on Miller's 3...

SpursFanInAustin
06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
That play where Shoeless Mike Miller was left wide open pretty much brought momentum to Miami's side. That is the play that sticks out in my mind for two reasons. One is obviously the momentum and two, Pop lost any trust in Neal for the rest of the game and Spurs maybe could've used his ability to create a shot for offense when Manu was struggling with turnovers. Thoughts?

ElNono
06-19-2013, 12:52 PM
It was terrible. I mean, I think that's when Pop decided Neal was not going to play anylonger last night. Absolute brain fart.

Darius McCrary
06-19-2013, 12:54 PM
I rewatched it four times during commercial break. Absolutely no reason in any universe for Miller to be that open. Neal was solid defensively in game 5, and turned back into a defensive abortion last night.

EVAY
06-19-2013, 12:55 PM
What you say is true, but honestly, the loss isn't on Pop or Tony or Manu or Neal or anybody. It was a close game that got away after our team had played their hearts out. We gotta get over it.. I hope the team members don't read these friggin' boards.

UZER
06-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I rewatched it four times during commercial break. Absolutely no reason in any universe for Miller to be that open. Neal was solid defensively in game 5, and turned back into a defensive abortion last night.

when miller hit that three I knewnit was going to come back to haunt the spurs. neal looks at him with no shoe and just decides to go cover lebron. wth?

mudyez
06-19-2013, 01:02 PM
What you say is true, but honestly, the loss isn't on Pop or Tony or Manu or Neal or anybody. It was a close game that got away after our team had played their hearts out. We gotta get over it.. I hope the team members don't read these friggin' boards.

This!

I love this team and feel bad for them, but we still can make up for it.

And if we don't I still love them!

timtonymanu
06-19-2013, 01:03 PM
You can tell the team was super pissed at him when that happened.

Pocket Hippo
06-19-2013, 01:04 PM
Neal sucks defensively even when his only assignment is to stand next to the gimp that only shoots 3's.

BatManu20
06-19-2013, 01:07 PM
Neal literally just sucks at defense. No way around it. He's just not a bright guy. Add that to his slow feet and lack of athleticism, and you have yourself a very porr defender.

Keepin' it real
06-19-2013, 01:32 PM
Nobody is talking about it because there were about a dozen more significant plays.

T Park
06-19-2013, 01:36 PM
Nobody talks about it because they were leading by 5 WITH 28 seconds to go!!!!

tesseractive
06-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Neal literally just sucks at defense.
Interesting use of the word literally. :lol

Agloco
06-19-2013, 02:19 PM

I did the same thing in absolute disbelief. I was literally yelling at my wife about it. :lol

My only guess is that he thought Miller was going to screen for LeBron. :wtf

Soul_Patch
06-19-2013, 02:21 PM
The lackluster D by neal was one of the myriad of crap that lead to the spurs choking it up...I am surprised they were in it as close as they were to be honest.

TheGreatYacht
06-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Bottom line is that Manu, Neal, and Parker were giving up the most three's for the Heat. Manu kept leaving Miller and Battier open for three's. Parker kept leaving Chalmers open for three's. Manu and Neal SHOULD NOT help out on Lebron. Just STICK to your man. Even better, don't leave Ray Allen or Mike Miller open for nothing in the world. IDK if Battier was an aberration or if he found his shooting stroke. I hope he doesn't hit those banker three point shots anymore for Game 7.

crc21209
06-19-2013, 02:27 PM
What's new? Neal's been leaving shooters open all series. That's why Pop goes and went to Manu last night. Because our only other option is sticking Neal's no defense playing ass out there. Not only did he leave Miller open on that 3, he also let Miller drive right past him for an easy layup. How do you let that old bastard with a messed up back drive around you for a layup? Pathetic. The Spurs best lineup is Parker, Green, Leonard, Diaw, and Duncan. The problem is they can't play the entire game..

crc21209
06-19-2013, 02:28 PM
Bottom line is that Manu, Neal, and Parker were giving up the most three's for the Heat. Manu kept leaving Miller and Battier open for three's. Parker kept leaving Chalmers open for three's. Manu and Neal SHOULD NOT help out on Lebron. Just STICK to your man. Even better, don't leave Ray Allen or Mike Miller open for nothing in the world. IDK if Battier was an aberration or if he found his shooting stroke. I hope he doesn't hit those banker three point shots anymore for Game 7.

That's the problem. The help on LeBron on his drives are coming from another wing, when they should be letting him go one on one and just bring help from the post if needed. Bringing help from another wing just frees up shooters on the perimeter.

TheGoldStandard
06-19-2013, 02:45 PM
Gary Neals +/- was nothing like Manu.. Yeah, his defense is shit but he's a viable shooter, he'll chuck it up there which Manu was hesitant to do all game long, he was happy throwing the ball away and leaving shooters open

Slippy
06-19-2013, 05:40 PM
All his teammates were wondering the same thing after that play. Think Neal assumed Miller wouldn't do anything , except try to get his shoe back on.

Neal can shoot but he not a high IQ bball player and Miller reminded him of that, minus one shoe.

Obstructed_View
06-19-2013, 05:47 PM
I'm not talking about it because I literally yelled myself hoarse when it happened.

ALVAREZ6
06-19-2013, 07:26 PM
Neal is basically a Splitter when his 3 isn't falling, or a Manu in this series: works totally for the other team.

r-nice
06-19-2013, 07:47 PM
I remember Manu turning around and looking at him like "WTF MAN!"

still.focused
06-19-2013, 08:16 PM
I remember Manu turning around and looking at him like "WTF MAN THAT LOOKS LIKE FUN....LEMME TRY IT!"
Fixed

DMC
06-19-2013, 08:23 PM
Gary Neals +/- was nothing like Manu.. Yeah, his defense is shit but he's a viable shooter, he'll chuck it up there which Manu was hesitant to do all game long, he was happy throwing the ball away and leaving shooters open

Gary Neal doesn't handle the ball as much as Manu. He doesn't pass the ball, he chooses to shoot more often than not.

Gary is focused on one thing: shooting the ball. That's it and that's all and Pop and RC knew that when they brought him in. I guarantee you neither Pop nor RC nor any scout saw Neal being a defensive stalwart in the summer league. They saw him score the ball.

So why is anyone expecting that the gnome can now guard anyone? Pop is good at developing players but Gary was past that when he got here. He's a hired gun someone has force fucked into a big minutes player because there's historically been great help defense.

Let's not get all intellectually dishonest and pretend Neal just slacked off.

Chinook
06-19-2013, 08:26 PM
Well get over it. He, Ginobili and Leonard are going to be important. Literally, if the Heat plan to trap Parker, double Duncan and never leave Green, they will HAVE to leave at least one of the other two players on the court wide open. Someone has to step up, and Neal is the most likely to get hot from range. He needs to have a Game 3.

james evans
06-19-2013, 09:32 PM
miller has been open ALL SERIES. is this the first time yall are noticing this? lebron or wade drives, green or neal commits to doubling and they kick it out to miller every time. you would think by the 6th game they know it's coming

therealtruth
06-19-2013, 09:43 PM

Good point. The Spurs spotted the Heat alot of open 3's. If they defend the 3 alot better they win the game by 10+. The Heat did alot better job on Green. The Spurs have to do the same on the Heat's shooters. I know they don't want to get Lebron/Wade going but I think they're going to have to help less in game 7.

therealtruth
06-19-2013, 09:44 PM
miller has been open ALL SERIES. is this the first time yall are noticing this? lebron or wade drives, green or neal commits to doubling and they kick it out to miller every time. you would think by the 6th game they know it's coming

The Spurs did alot better job on him in San Antonio.