PDA

View Full Version : "Winning is everything" versus "the journey has been incredible"

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-20-2013, 12:13 AM
Discuss.

texmich
06-20-2013, 12:19 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5w9qpUKhq1r5jtugo1_400.gif

spurraider21
06-20-2013, 12:21 AM
"Winning isn't everything. It's the only thing."

-Vince Lombardi

RD2191
06-20-2013, 12:22 AM
Winning is everything. This is like sitting thru 9 hours of lord of the rings only to watch smeagol push frito into the lava and make away with the ring. Fuk that shit. And to think the Spurs had a 99% chance to win the game last night with 28 seconds left. Fml.

CitizenDwayne
Winning is everything. But the journey has been a blast.

ElNono
Winning is everything. But the journey has been a blast.

EIC
06-20-2013, 12:25 AM
Winning is everything. Journey is a cool consolation prize, but only if you are beaten by a clearly better team. The journey is worthless if you had a chance to win it all but shot yourself in the foot.

Juggity
06-20-2013, 12:26 AM
Both are true. Losing would hurt, but putting it into perspective (from the viewpoint of the objective observer, of course), this has already easily been one of the greatest finals series of all time.

Heroics, role player emergence, star player emergence, veteran resurgence, veteran failures, star player failures, coaching matchups, tiny decisions with huge implications, two incredibly even teams, easily the 2 best teams in the league. Even the public agrees — these finals are getting some of the highest TV ratings since Jordan retired.

The Spurs have acquitted themselves well on the national stage frankly. I don't think anyone would seriously begrudge them unless game 7 is a disappointing wire-to-wire blowout that favors the Heat.

Of course, winning is the ideal scenario.

z0sa
06-20-2013, 12:31 AM
This Spurs team makes a case for both at the same time.

DeadlyDynasty
06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
The "journey has been incredible route" is not an option after last night. It's championship or tragedy now.

RD2191
06-20-2013, 12:33 AM
The "journey has been incredible route" is not an option after last night. It's championship or tragedy now.

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 12:36 AM

Or champagne vs shotgun tbh

capek
06-20-2013, 12:36 AM
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m5w9qpUKhq1r5jtugo1_400.gif

:lol

My feelings, the second is true, but I don't even want to think about it while there's still a chance to satisfy the first.

silverblk mystix
06-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Winning is everything. Lose and you are no different than every other team except for the NBA champs.

Winning is the ONLY THING!

100%duncan
06-20-2013, 12:43 AM
Fuck that shit.

Win Everything.

TDfan2007
06-20-2013, 01:20 AM
In this case, winning is everything. We were one bounce away from the title, so it's really hard to say that Miami is the better team. It's easier to appreciate the journey if you are outclassed or simply outplayed by a better team. This series is not one of those cases...

mudyez
06-20-2013, 05:32 AM
I love this team anyway but if we lose this may come down as "the sports-board someone declared his own suicide and nobody did anything about it".

boga
06-20-2013, 05:49 AM
you have a lot of time to talk about how incredible the journey has been when the job is done. winning is everything until you lose or win.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Winning actually isn't everything IMHO. It's freakin brilliant to win, but it's actually the journey that is what's important - what you learn from it, how you grow, how you respond to adversity.

I'm so damned proud of the Spurs for fighting until the very last minute of the series when most teams would've crumbled in game 7.

I love the Spurs because they stand for the journey. What do you think "pounding the rock" is about?

:flag:

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-20-2013, 11:20 PM
BTW, get some perspective. Pop-hating is not helpful, nor is hating on our players. They gave everything they had, and sure you can question things with 20/20 hindsight, but that just makes you a pompous arsehole and helps not one whit.

Spur-Addict
06-20-2013, 11:22 PM
It's not an either or for me, they go hand and hand. Embracing that overwhelming desire to win is what makes the journey so incredible. Great season

hitmanyr2k
06-20-2013, 11:23 PM
Winning actually isn't everything IMHO. It's freakin brilliant to win, but it's actually the journey that is what's important - what you learn from it, how you grow, how you respond to adversity.

I'm so damned proud of the Spurs for fighting until the very last minute of the series when most teams would've crumbled in game 7.

I love the Spurs because they stand for the journey. What do you think "pounding the rock" is about?

:tu

michaelwcho
06-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Winning is not everything. Working as hard as you can to be as good as you can at every moment is what it's all about. Winning, making money, wordly success, etc., is a by-product of that. This was a great journey and a great season and a great series.

exstatic
06-20-2013, 11:24 PM
Ruff, with the very goods.

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2013, 11:25 PM
If you've missed the joy of the 16 year journey of the Tim Duncan era, with all of the winning and some of the heartbreak, you've missed the whole point.

exstatic
06-20-2013, 11:25 PM
BTW, you people who said winning is the only thing are going to have very sad lives.

stephen jackson
06-20-2013, 11:26 PM
for kawhi and the younger guys its everything
but for timmy and tony and the older guys they appreciated the journey

mexicanjunior
06-20-2013, 11:27 PM
This season is nothing but pain, agony and regret...the journey sucked tbh.

jag
06-20-2013, 11:31 PM

Well said.

I'm damn proud of this team. Tim, Tony, Manu, Kawhi, Green... They all had their moments and battled to push this to 7. Hell of a team

EVAY
06-20-2013, 11:35 PM
Good guys don't always finish first. But they are always the one that you want to be with in the end, win or lose.

I love my Spurs. Please greet them at the airport. They deserve that. I am1200 miles away or I would do it myself.

Thank you, my Spurs.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
Ruff, with the very goods.

Thanks mate. It's been good to see you around here the past few months.

I hope you're well and I'll always remember hanging out with you in 2003. :)

skulls138
06-20-2013, 11:57 PM
That's a good discussion for when its all said and done. I don't think now is that time.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM
That's a good discussion for when its all said and done. I don't think now is that time.

I think the time is EXACTLY now. How we face adversity is what defines us.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM

timtonymanu
06-21-2013, 12:03 AM

Sup Ruff. Guess I shot myself in the foot by making that self-bet. I'm a man of my word so I got to honor it. As of tomorrow, I am officially out of here until next year's playoffs.

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2013, 12:05 AM
I think it's a brilliant question, Ruff, and I'm glad you posed it. I've been thinking about this very thing since about the middle of the Warriors series and haven't been able to figure out a way to talk about it constructively in this forum these days.

Good for you and thanks for this.

TampaDude
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM
If you've missed the joy of the 16 year journey of the Tim Duncan era, with all of the winning and some of the heartbreak, you've missed the whole point.

Yup...sometimes I think fans get spoiled. There are a lot of NBA franchises that would kill to be where the Spurs are now.

DeadlyDynasty
06-21-2013, 12:09 AM
Make no mistake spurfan, any highlights of Game 6 from here on out will trigger your PTSD

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Sup Ruff. Guess I shot myself in the foot by making that self-bet. I'm a man of my word so I got to honor it. As of tomorrow, I am officially out of here until next year's playoffs.

Nah man, don't do it. Stupid bet. Stick around. Strong communities pull together through adversity, they don't fragment.

Let's be a STRONG COMMUNITY. ;)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:13 AM
I think it's a brilliant question, Ruff, and I'm glad you posed it. I've been thinking about this very thing since about the middle of the Warriors series and haven't been able to figure out a way to talk about it constructively in this forum these days.

Good for you and thanks for this.

Thanks for the kind words. :)

I've always appreciated your takes, always. Bring them here when you're ready. I hope this thread becomes a long and challenging discussion that helps us all to say what we need to.

timtonymanu
06-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Nah man, don't do it. Stupid bet. Stick around. Strong communities pull together through adversity, they don't fragment.

Let's be a STRONG COMMUNITY. ;)

Probably. But I'm a man of my word. I'm definitely taking a break from the forum and sports for a while. I'll be back at some point. :toast

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:15 AM
Yup...sometimes I think fans get spoiled. There are a lot of NBA franchises that would kill to be where the Spurs are now...

...and a lot of fanbases. :tu

Isn't this why we follow sports and care so much about our team? The rollercoaster? We've had a lot of ups and some decent downs as well, but you need both to fully experience life, and here we are. :)

Homeland Security
06-21-2013, 12:16 AM
lol getting all introspective and serene
like at the end of the movie when the protagonist is dying of cancer and says he is at peace
you wanna know when you'll really be peaceful? when you're dead
except for that couple minutes of rigor mortis

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:16 AM
Make no mistake spurfan, any highlights of Game 6 from here on out will trigger your PTSD

truth bomb :depressed :lol

skulls138
06-21-2013, 12:18 AM
I think the time is EXACTLY now. How we face adversity is what defines us.If you are playing, winning is everything. If youre hanging it up, its all about the journey, that's obviously plain, ESPECIALLY for the Spurs. I don't see how this is relevant seeing that they just lost a close game 7 in the NBA finals.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Probably. But I'm a man of my word. I'm definitely taking a break from the forum and sports for a while. I'll be back at some point. :toast

No doubt you're a man of your word. Thanks for sharing a great season, I've really appreciated having you around for perspective and insightful comments in the game threads. :toast

I'll be pretty sparse around here until October too, just don't disappear. ;)

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-21-2013, 12:19 AM

This is so true sadly.

Homeland Security
06-21-2013, 12:20 AM
The difference between winning and losing was this -- you have one more roll of the dice to make. Anything but snake eyes and you win.

You got snake eyes.

Did they choke? No, but God hates you. And if there is no god, then the universe hates you. Or if there are parallel universes, you are unlucky enough to experience one of the few where the Spurs lost. You have to live in the one where the LeBron hype expands exponentially.

Cruel fate.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 12:21 AM
No words

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:26 AM
If you are playing, winning is everything. If youre hanging it up, its all about the journey, that's obviously plain, ESPECIALLY for the Spurs. I don't see how this is relevant seeing that they just lost a close game 7 in the NBA finals.

Fair enough, but what if you're in the middle of the journey as we all are? I find reflecting on recent experiences to be valuable because it shapes what we take from them into the future, and how we remember the past.

Do I want to be bitter about this? No, because although it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, that's life, the goods guys don't always win... infact, they rarely do. Either way, it was still a worthy and wonderful thing to experience. And I'm utterly grateful and in awe of the San Antonio Spurs for fighting to the end, and to some of their fans on Spurstalk for sharing the experience with me.

Anyway, fine if you don't want to discuss this right now but as you can see some people do. :)

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:31 AM
The difference between winning and losing was this -- you have one more roll of the dice to make. Anything but snake eyes and you win.

You got snake eyes.

Did they choke? No, but God hates you. And if there is no god, then the universe hates you. Or if there are parallel universes, you are unlucky enough to experience one of the few where the Spurs lost. You have to live in the one where the LeBron hype expands exponentially.

Cruel fate.

I agree with all of that except that the Universe doesn't hate us - sometimes things break your way, sometimes they don't, but IMHO there's no omniscient intent behind it all.

The Universe is an effectively infinite complex system that runs according to the Universal Constants we are slowly uncovering in physics, which led to life, which led to evolution on this planet, which led to us here and now, but the Universe doesn't care what happens. It's just operating by its internal rules, and the outcome is the outcome. I'm an existentialist, obviously. :lol

Tim_duncan21
06-21-2013, 12:44 AM
Duncan deserved that 5th ring

J_Paco
06-21-2013, 12:53 AM

He's still one of the ten greatest NBA players ever even without another championship. The end wasn't what I anticipated (or wanted), but the journey was incredible. This has been my favorite non-championship season as a Spurs fan ever, especially with how the last 5 years have ended since '07. Keep ya'll heads up and there is always next season.

Tim_duncan21
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
He's still one of the ten greatest NBA players ever even without another championship. The end wasn't what I anticipated (or wanted), but the journey was incredible. This has been my favorite non-championship season as a Spurs fan ever, especially with how the last 5 years have ended since '07. Keep ya'll heads up and there is always next season.

He did very well at the age of 37..

Setting the playoffs all time record in blocks

SayTown
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
The Spurs gave me a whole lot of excitement and enjoyment this season, it was a fun ride and for that im grateful

Homeland Security
06-21-2013, 01:05 AM
The Universe is an effectively infinite complex system that runs according to the Universal Constants we are slowly uncovering in physics, which led to life, which led to evolution on this planet, which led to us here and now, but the Universe doesn't care what happens. It's just operating by its internal rules, and the outcome is the outcome. I'm an existentialist, obviously. :lol
Is Manu turning the ball over in crucial situations one of those Universal Constants?

timvp
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Being a Spurs fan in the Robinson-Duncan era is like watching the greatest movie ever made.

Agonizing lows, amazing highs, characters you can connect with, cruel plot twists, amazement when things looked bleak, etc.

It sounds hyperbolic but I honestly think that in the history of team sports, I couldn't have handpicked a better team and era to be a die hard fan of. 1987-2013 San Antonio Spurs has literally been the most amazing ride ever as a sports fan.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
Is Manu turning the ball over in crucial situations one of those Universal Constants?

Once it wasn't, but given the ageing on his legs and reactions, I think it has become, yes. :lol :depressed

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:16 AM

Hell yes he did, but he was robbed by centimetres. :(

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:17 AM

:tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
He did very well at the age of 37..

Setting the playoffs all time record in blocks

Wow, I didn't know that. Fantastic! :toast

The Spurs gave me a whole lot of excitement and enjoyment this season, it was a fun ride and for that im grateful

Grateful is a beautiful word that isn't used or thought nearly often enough. :tu

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:19 AM
Being a Spurs fan in the Robinson-Duncan era is like watching the greatest movie ever made.

Agonizing lows, amazing highs, characters you can connect with, cruel plot twists, amazement when things looked bleak, etc.

It sounds hyperbolic but I honestly think that in the history of team sports, I couldn't have handpicked a better team and era to be a die hard fan of. 1987-2013 San Antonio Spurs has literally been the most amazing ride ever as a sports fan.

Totally. :toast

And we never would've met without them. ;)

FromWayDowntown
06-21-2013, 01:30 AM

Really so true. If any part of the allure of rooting for a team is the chance to experience the highs and lows of being human, these Spurs have given us those experiences in almost every way imaginable, doing it all witha quiet dignity, a hard-won respect, and an enviable pride.

And, ultimately, if the worst thing that has ever happened to your team was losing the Finals, you'be had a good run.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:44 AM
Really so true. If any part of the allure of rooting for a team is the chance to experience the highs and lows of being human, these Spurs have given us those experiences in almost every way imaginable, doing it all with a quiet dignity, a hard-won respect, and an enviable pride.

And, ultimately, if the worst thing that has ever happened to your team was losing the Finals, you'be had a good run.

Well said.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Well lads, it's been an incredible ride and I am now headed out on the town to party in commiseration until I can party no more.

PEACE

LOVE

UNITY

RESPECT

Ruff

timvp
06-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Really so true. If any part of the allure of rooting for a team is the chance to experience the highs and lows of being human, these Spurs have given us those experiences in almost every way imaginable, doing it all witha quiet dignity, a hard-won respect, and an enviable pride.Yeah, it really is amazing. It almost doesn't seem real. Quick overview:

-Draft Robinson but don't know if he'll sign. It actually makes sense for him to wait and sign with the Lakers.

-Surprisingly, he decides to sign because he fell in love with the city.

-We have to wait two years before we get to see him play. During that time, we could only use our imagination regarding how good he'll be.

-His rookie season, he's even better than we could have imagined.

-The Spurs have an amazing run but fall short in heartbreaking fashion.

-Enter year two with sky high expectation.

-End year two with a stunning first round loss to the Warriors.

-Survive Barkely's shot, etc. while building the team back up.

-In 1994 Robinson is putting up video game stats but doesn't have the crew needed around him.

-Enter Pop.

-He brings back AJ and Elliott as his first moves. The Spurs look like the best team in the NBA. Get the Rockets in the WCF -- a team the Spurs had dominated. Lose the first two games at home ..... only to win the next two on the road. But then still go on to lose the series anyways.

-Another setback in 1996.

-The wheels fall off in 1997.

-Things look bleak. Popovich on the verge of being fired. Robinson going to be traded soon. San Antonio likely to lose the team.

-DRAFT TIM DUNCAN.

-Another loss to the same Utah team that plagued the Spurs earlier in the 90s.

-Whispers getting louder to break up the Duncan/Robinson tandem. Arena vote looming. Lockout threatening to wipe away the season.

-BEGIN CHAMPIONSHIP ERA

-Four championships with .4, Dirk Foul, Duncan 2000 injury, 2001 demolition, 2012 collapse, 2013 hearbreak and more mixed in.

:wow

F'ing amazing.

I don't get people who now say they wish the Spurs would have lost sooner.

IMO, if the Spurs aren't going to win the championship, the next best thing is to alllllllllllllllllllllllmost win a championship.

Unfortunately, alllllllllllllllmost winning a championship is really, really painful :lol

MannyIsGod
06-21-2013, 01:51 AM

The highest highs and the lowest lows. Its pretty true.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Yeah, it really is amazing. It almost doesn't seem real. Quick overview:

-Draft Robinson but don't know if he'll sign. It actually makes sense for him to wait and sign with the Lakers.

-Surprisingly, he decides to sign because he fell in love with the city.

-We have to wait two years before we get to see him play. During that time, we could only use our imagination regarding how good he'll be.

-His rookie season, he's even better than we could have imagined.

-The Spurs have an amazing run but fall short in heartbreaking fashion.

-Enter year two with sky high expectation.

-End year two with a stunning first round loss to the Warriors.

-Survive Barkely's shot, etc. while building the team back up.

-In 1994 Robinson is putting up video game stats but doesn't have the crew needed around him.

-Enter Pop.

-He brings back AJ and Elliott as his first moves. The Spurs look like the best team in the NBA. Get the Rockets in the WCF -- a team the Spurs had dominated. Lose the first two games at home ..... only to win the next two on the road. But then still go on to lose the series anyways.

-Another setback in 1996.

-The wheels fall off in 1997.

-Things look bleak. Popovich on the verge of being fired. Robinson going to be traded soon. San Antonio likely to lose the team.

-DRAFT TIM DUNCAN.

-Another loss to the same Utah team that plagued the Spurs earlier in the 90s.

-Whispers getting louder to break up the Duncan/Robinson tandem. Arena vote looming. Lockout threatening to wipe away the season.

-BEGIN CHAMPIONSHIP ERA

-Four championships with .4, Dirk Foul, Duncan 2000 injury, 2001 demolition, 2012 collapse, 2013 hearbreak and more mixed in.

:wow

F'ing amazing.

I don't get people who now say they wish the Spurs would have lost sooner.

IMO, if the Spurs aren't going to win the championship, the next best thing is to alllllllllllllllllllllllmost win a championship.

Unfortunately, alllllllllllllllmost winning a championship is really, really painful :lol

LOL you forgot any mention of ST. No Shane Heal, no Whotttttttttttttt, No Ghost, No MB.

I've been here so long I forgot what MB's first account name was!!!!!! LOL.

skulls138
06-21-2013, 02:12 AM
Fair enough, but what if you're in the middle of the journey as we all are? I find reflecting on recent experiences to be valuable because it shapes what we take from them into the future, and how we remember the past.

Do I want to be bitter about this? No, because although it didn't turn out the way I wanted it to, that's life, the goods guys don't always win... infact, they rarely do. Either way, it was still a worthy and wonderful thing to experience. And I'm utterly grateful and in awe of the San Antonio Spurs for fighting to the end, and to some of their fans on Spurstalk for sharing the experience with me.

Anyway, fine if you don't want to discuss this right now but as you can see some people do. :)Well youre obviously talking as a fan and not as a player and Im not criticizing that but I always feel that I, as a fan, should be thinking like the players should. Having said that, how could a person not tip their caps to the Spurs and appreciate what they've done.

KaiRMD1
06-21-2013, 02:17 AM
The journey is only great when you lose, it's the best when you combine it with winning at the end.

Keepin' it real
06-21-2013, 02:20 AM
From a national perspective (I know alot of you "don't care" about media and other fans, but anyway), I think the Spurs may have earned more respect in this loss than they did in any 4 of their titles.
Painful to see Pop's postgame when he said "We lost to a better team" or something like that. The Heat are not better. Spurs gave it to them.
Although this series will always be heartbreaking, it time, I'll be able to enjoy the good memories that will cancel a lot of the bad. (Example: Dallas Cowboys losing to 49ers in '94, giving away a 4-peat with turnovers and bad play). I look back at that game fondly for how the Cowboys didn't quit. Similarly, the Spurs never quit tonight. Not sure I've ever been prouder of them.

baseline bum
06-21-2013, 02:54 AM

Damn, if the Spurs trade DRob for Rasheed and fire Pop for Doc Rivers in 1999 we're fucking Utah.