PDA

View Full Version : An Open Letter to the San Antonio Spurs - Game 7

Duncan21MVP
06-20-2013, 09:47 AM
Tuesday night was the most pain of heart I’ve felt as a Spurs fan in a long time. To be oh so close and come away empty truly was “devasting,” as Manu put it. But you know what?

We have a do-over.

Unless the Angel of Stern has canceled tonight’s Game 7 and summarily awarded the championship to the Heat, we have an opportunity to relegate the memory of the Game 6 collapse to a bittersweet anecdote. We had every reason to win Game 6, but didn’t. We can’t undo the past, only correct the present.

As I was working out yesterday afternoon, I couldn’t bear to look toward the televisions and the ESPN broadcasting of all the close calls in sports in years past. Scott Norwood missing the field goal in the first Buffalo Bills Super Bowl, the Tennessee Titans coming within two yards of winning the Super Bowl, etc. etc. etc. My God, people, the final chapter hasn’t been written yet, and yet all the talking heads have written us off.

Don’t you dare think that this is over.

The Heat don’t seem to handle success too well, as we’ve won EVERY GAME in this series after we've lost. I awoke this morning with confidence that we’ll win this next one too.

When we get behind tonight, don’t think that we are predestined to watch the Heat celebrate back-to-back championships.

We have a do-over.

Manu, remember that foul on Dirk that ended our 2006 season? Remember how bad you felt all summer? You have the chance to eradicate your poor play in Tuesday's Game 6 with a stellar Game 7. Redemption will be worth more to you as a person than any trophy, ring, or banner. Get to the rim with wild abandon and then our inside-out game will reemerge.

Tony, remember your promise to Timmy? You are one great game away from delivering on it in a big way. That hammy is no doubt limiting you, but you’ve got to still be aggressive, play with pace, and put the Heat defenders (who aren’t all that great at times) on their heels.

And Timmy, keep doing what it takes to get The One for the Thumb. This season has been an unbelievable one for you; don’t let it be one with an unrealized goal of being the champion that you are.

Yes, this is a defining moment for Lebron … and for us. But treat it as you do each and every game. Don’t let the big stage affect who you are and how you conduct your business. "Don't skip steps," as Pop says. Make the safe plays and not the hero ones. Do the simple things extraordinarily, and the outcome will be glorious.

I’m confident we will win this, and that I’ll be ordering some Spurs championship gear in about 14 hours from now.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
The Spurs have played three games in Miami this series.

The first game, they won.

The second game, they lost resoundingly.

The third game, they almost certainly would have won if they had just made one more free throw or rebound near the end.

So that makes 2 out of 3 games in Miami that the Spurs either won or easily should have won. They certainly are capable of winning this last one in Miami too.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 09:51 AM
Great thread, by the way.

Spurfect21
06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
Well said

look_at_g_shred
06-20-2013, 10:03 AM
:flag:

BillMc
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
Tuesday night was the most pain of heart I’ve felt as a Spurs fan in a long time. To be oh so close and come away empty truly was “devasting,” as Manu put it. But you know what?

We have a do-over.

Unless the Angel of Stern has canceled tonight’s Game 7 and summarily awarded the championship to the Heat, we have an opportunity to relegate the memory of the Game 6 collapse to a bittersweet anecdote. We had every reason to win Game 6, but didn’t. We can’t undo the past, only correct the present.

As I was working out yesterday afternoon, I couldn’t bear to look toward the televisions and the ESPN broadcasting of all the close calls in sports in years past. Scott Norwood missing the field goal in the first Buffalo Bills Super Bowl, the Tennessee Titans coming within two yards of winning the Super Bowl, etc. etc. etc. My God, people, the final chapter hasn’t been written yet, and yet all the talking heads have written us off.

The Heat don’t seem to handle success too well, as we’ve won EVERY GAME in this series after we've lost. I awoke this morning with confidence that we’ll win this next one too.

When we get behind tonight, don’t think that we are predestined to watch the Heat celebrate back-to-back championships.

We have a do-over.

Manu, remember that foul on Dirk that ended our 2006 season? Remember how bad you felt all summer? You have the chance to eradicate your poor play in Tuesday's Game 6 with a stellar Game 7. Redemption will be worth more to you as a person than any trophy, ring, or banner. Get to the rim with wild abandon and then our inside-out game will reemerge.

Tony, remember your promise to Timmy? You are one great game away from delivering on it in a big way. That hammy is no doubt limiting you, but you’ve got to still be aggressive, play with pace, and put the Heat defenders (who aren’t all that great at times) on their heels.

And Timmy, keep doing what it takes to get The One for the Thumb. This season has been an unbelievable one for you; don’t let it be one with an unrealized goal of being the champion that you are.

Yes, this is a defining moment for Lebron … and for us. But treat it as you do each and every game. Don’t let the big stage affect who you are and how you conduct your business. "Don't skip steps," as Pop says. Make the safe plays and not the hero ones. Do the simple things extraordinarily, and the outcome will be glorious.

I’m confident we will win this, and that I’ll be ordering some Spurs championship gear in about 14 hours from now.

Easily the best post of the past two days.

BillMc
06-20-2013, 10:15 AM
The Spurs have played three games in Miami this series.

The first game, they won.

The second game, they lost resoundingly.
The third game, they almost certainly would have won if they had just made one more free throw or rebound near the end.

So that makes 2 out of 3 games in Miami that the Spurs either won or easily should have won. They certainly are capable of winning this last one in Miami too.

Even in that loss we were there until late in the third quarter. Theres is absolutely no reason to believe we can't take this game in Miami.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 10:23 AM
Even in that loss we were there until late in the third quarter. Theres is absolutely no reason to believe we can't take this game in Miami.

Although I'm sure someone could make the point that because the Spurs have played so well in Miami so far, they are therefore "overdue" for a blowout loss in Miami or something like that.

tah
06-20-2013, 10:25 AM
What a great post!

BillMc
06-20-2013, 10:28 AM
Although I'm sure someone could make the point that because the Spurs have played so well in Miami so far, they are therefore "overdue" for a blowout loss in Miami or something like that.

Or a blowout win. We've been the better team this series up to this point.

Blake
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
Patty, you just keep waving that towel at the appropriate times.

Don't try to be a hero and wave it right after tip off. Don't try to wave it so fast that it flies out of your hand or gets you so tired, you have nothing left in the tank for 4th quarter towel waving.

but if you do drop the towel, don't get down.

You have a do-over.

Pick yourself and the towel back up and go at it again. Pound the towel waving rock. I want some nasty towel waving.

I’m confident we will win this, and that I’ll be ordering some Spurs championship towels in about 14 hours from now.

mudyez
06-20-2013, 11:15 AM
is patty with us?

boutons_deux
06-20-2013, 11:16 AM
1 - 3 - 5 - 7

Spurs number is UP

urunobili
06-20-2013, 11:26 AM
thanks I needed this.... slowly feeling more pumped up for tonight :tu sorry if I've sounded like an emo troll lately like for the rest of us, it has been a rather difficult last 42 hours..

EVAY
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
Thank you. Just exactly how I feel...except that I said this morning to my husband, "you know, it really is all gravy to me anymore, ever since they won the last home game". I want them to win tonight for their sake, because they want it so much. But me? I'm a happy person.

ffadicted
06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
:cry

41times
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
Remember that $250,000 fine David Sperm levied on the Spurs for not playing their Big Names against Miami earlier this season?
I bet Sperm remembers. He hates being "shown up" and he hates non compliance. Ask Cuban about the millions he has paid in fines not to mention in other ways.

So while I agree the Surs have a solid chance of winning tonight. I also believe that they will have to Overcome EVERY possible scenario including but not limited to: the CHeat, Home Fans, Referies, the Commish.

TDomination
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
1 - 3 - 5 - 7

Spurs number is UP

we are an odd team when it comes to the finals, always have been.

1999, 2003, 2005, 2007....now 2013? and with wins in 1, 3, 5, and soon to be 7!

cutewizard
06-20-2013, 01:37 PM
excellent post and letter

and while waiting for the game to start, lets refresh ourselves with the Game of Thrones soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EU8UXtu-4k

for winter is coming, winter is coming to the cheat!

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 01:45 PM
Dear Spurs,

Defy history. Win tonight.

41times
06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
we are an odd team when it comes to the finals, always have been.

1999, 2003, 2005, 2007....now 2013? and with wins in 1, 3, 5, and soon to be 7!

THIS!

Jenks
06-20-2013, 04:55 PM

We have a do-over.

We have a do-over.

I’m confident we will win this, and that I’ll be ordering some Spurs championship gear in about 14 hours from now. Hell yeah!! :clap

Horry Hipcheck
06-20-2013, 04:57 PM
excellent post and letter

and while waiting for the game to start, lets refresh ourselves with the Game of Thrones soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EU8UXtu-4k

for winter is coming, winter is coming to the cheat!

http://youtu.be/0OWQXQgHgq8

I see your Game of Thrones and raise you a sexier, championship version.

lurker23
06-20-2013, 05:02 PM
Great post, well done. :toast