PDA

View Full Version : Historical Context

DPG21920
06-20-2013, 10:32 AM
If the Spurs win this game tonight, what is your opinion of how this series/title will be viewed. We know the stats on road game 7's. We know the Vegas odds. We saw how game 6 unfolded.

I am of the opinion that if the Spurs win it will be the greatest title in modern day NBA history, perhaps even all of NBA history.

Think about that. Settle into this moment and reflect on the magnitude of this game for both the Spurs & NBA history.

It should not be easy; title runs never are. But it should be fun.

clambake
06-20-2013, 10:34 AM
its 5 against 1. epic? no way.

Spur|n|Austin
06-20-2013, 10:36 AM
Damn DPG, the nerves were high enough during this work day!

Considering your question, I can't think of another Game 7 or determining game that would have a higher magnitude than this. We are obviously biased considering it's our team out there, but man does this have history written all over it if we win.

If we lose, well - Lebron will continue to be called King, and the Spurs will continue to be called old. This is so so so much bigger for the Spurs than it is for the Heat.

Bring on the game!

UZER
06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
losing game 6 only added more chips to the NBA title legacy pot. Had the spurs won in 5 or 6, excuses would have been made for the heat. Now all excuses are gone and legacy is truly on the line for both teams.

I pumped!!

UZER
06-20-2013, 10:37 AM
losing game 6 only added more chips to the NBA title legacy pot. Had the spurs won in 5 or 6, excuses would have been made for the heat. Now all excuses are gone and legacy is truly on the line for both teams.

I pumped!!

MannyIsGod
06-20-2013, 10:40 AM
I don't see how this one can be anything but the greatest title the Spurs have accomplished in the eyes of most NBA fans. That being said, I think 05 was the best title ever for the Spurs and even if they win tonight I'll still think that. I think that 05 Pistons team is one of the most underrated teams ever.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't see how this one can be anything but the greatest title the Spurs have accomplished in the eyes of most NBA fans. That being said, I think 05 was the best title ever for the Spurs and even if they win tonight I'll still think that. I think that 05 Pistons team is one of the most underrated teams ever.

X2

boutons_deux
06-20-2013, 10:44 AM
Spurs winning Finals Game7 on the road will be historic

AchillesHeel
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
Best Finals since 2010 if you're talking about rivalry and a Game 7. I know, I know, Spurs and Heat don't have much rivalry but I think it's about the legacies of Lebron vs Duncan, if Duncan wins, Lebron will never sniff top 10 all-time, not to even mention ever being ranked over Duncan, unless he pulls off some huge playoff runs and wins 5 more titles, if Lebron wins, Duncan will have a Finals loss, the Spurs will have a Finals loss and Lebron will continue to better his legacy.

It's about the original big 3 beating the "manufactured" (pun intended) big 3, it's about the small market beating the most talked about team with the huge bandwagon. Sending those faggots crying back to their locker rooms would be the sweetest feeling.

Mugen
06-20-2013, 10:47 AM
This would blow any Spurs title out of the water tbh.

With the way they lost Game 6, I'm inclined to agree that this would be the best title in NBA History when taking into account all external factors.

Old School 44
06-20-2013, 10:49 AM
If the Spurs win this game tonight, what is your opinion of how this series/title will be viewed. We know the stats on road game 7's. We know the Vegas odds. We saw how game 6 unfolded.

I am of the opinion that if the Spurs win it will be the greatest title in modern day NBA history, perhaps even all of NBA history.

Think about that. Settle into this moment and reflect on the magnitude of this game for both the Spurs & NBA history.

I agree 100%. Spurs by 20.

Agloco
06-20-2013, 11:01 AM
If we lose, well - Lebron will continue to be called King, and the Spurs will continue to be called old.

tbh .... winning won't change that either.

mudyez
06-20-2013, 11:05 AM
I'm not the guy that has fear before big games (as a player), but right now I'm not able to move.

Actually I want to tell everyone what will happen if we lose: This will still have been a great season. Timvp will write a great post that reminds us of when he wrote "reaching the WCF was the seasons goal and everything more is a great plus"...some posters will throw any player or Pop under the bus for something that happened in game 7 or give them more sh*** for game 6. Others will get emotionally and tell us how they love the team. The press will give us a good amount of props and come october we will ask ourself if we might have another such run in us, comming to the conclusion, that we would be happy to have a chance to get to the finals.

And to borrow some words of our opponents: Heat and Spurs fans will go back to their regularly miserable life.

benefactor
06-20-2013, 11:25 AM
I said it in another thread and I will repeat it here...this will be the greatest show of mental fortitude in NBA Finals history if they win. There has never been a team be so close to a title in Game 6, watched it slip away through a series of circumstances(some in their control and some out of it) in the final seconds of regulation, then come back in Game 7 to win the title on the road. Off the top of my head...I can't think of any playoff series at any time where that has happened.

DPG21920
06-20-2013, 11:30 AM
Even taking away what happened in game 6, just look at road game 7's finals records for the away team.

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I think it will be remembered the same way the Celtics' Game 7 victory in The Forum in 1969 is.

TrainOfThought5
06-20-2013, 11:32 AM
I'm not the guy that has fear before big games (as a player), but right now I'm not able to move.

Actually I want to tell everyone what will happen if we lose: This will still have been a great season. Timvp will write a great post that reminds us of when he wrote "reaching the WCF was the seasons goal and everything more is a great plus"...some posters will throw any player or Pop under the bus for something that happened in game 7 or give them more sh*** for game 6. Others will get emotionally and tell us how they love the team. The press will give us a good amount of props and come october we will ask ourself if we might have another such run in us, comming to the conclusion, that we would be happy to have a chance to get to the finals.

And to borrow some words of our opponents: Heat and Spurs fans will go back to their regularly miserable life.

+1

ironman2886
06-20-2013, 11:34 AM
This will be the best Championship of theirs. Spurs are playing the Miami Heat team with 3 hall of famers in their prime. Spurs played Detroit when the big three were in their prime. Duncan is 37 years old. He is playing very well though, and this would be the one he cherishes the most. Manu at age 35, has played terrible and despite that, Spurs are in game 7. Parker hasnt played his best, but considering the hamstring injury and the fact that he is up against the best perimeter defense in the league, he has played well. 2013 will be remembered as a David vs. Goliath finals tbh.

ace3g
06-20-2013, 11:36 AM
Pounding the Rock @poundingtherock
(http://twitter.com/poundingtherock)RT @calebjsaenz (http://twitter.com/calebjsaenz): Jacob Riis also wrote this: "Some defeats are only installments to victory."

z0sa
06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
The magnitude of this game could be huge or relatively small, depending on whether the Heat win big, small, or Spurs are victorious.

Joyrider
06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
This will be the best Championship of theirs. Spurs are playing the Miami Heat team with 3 hall of famers in their prime. Spurs played Detroit when the big three were in their prime. Duncan is 37 years old. He is playing very well though, and this would be the one he cherishes the most. Manu at age 35, has played terrible and despite that, Spurs are in game 7. Parker hasnt played his best, but considering the hamstring injury and the fact that he is up against the best perimeter defense in the league, he has played well. 2013 will be remembered as a David vs. Goliath finals tbh.

Chris Bosh ain't getting into any Hall of Fame and Ray Allen is well past his prime. 2 hall of famers, imo.

Nathan89
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM

It was fun until the finish of game 6.

Amuseddaysleeper
06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
But if the Spurs lose it will be the most demoralizing loss in NBA history considering how Game 6 ended.

I don't even want to think about that. I'm going to be constantly vomiting throughout the night.

If there is a God, the Spurs will win tonight!

ironman2886
06-20-2013, 11:58 AM
Chris Bosh ain't getting into any Hall of Fame and Ray Allen is well past his prime. 2 hall of famers, imo.
I was talking about Ray Allen. He is past his prime, but he has been clutch his whole career, and will show up more than most players on that Heat team. The dude lives for this. Bosh is still part of their big three and has made some clutch put backs and blocks in this series. He is still relevant to their team, the big three.

RD2191
06-20-2013, 12:05 PM
Spurs will be known as chokers if they don't win tonight.

Spur|n|Austin
06-20-2013, 12:09 PM

And if they win, you'll be known as they guy who stuck around even after saying he would delete his account if the Spurs won.

RD2191
06-20-2013, 12:13 PM
And if they win, you'll be known as they guy who stuck around even after saying he would delete his account if the Spurs won.

Nope. I will glady never post again if the Spurs wim tonight. Which won't happen.

z0sa
06-20-2013, 12:15 PM

I told you to turn in your spurs card. You are easily the worst NASF on this site.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-20-2013, 12:15 PM

This. Everyone ready for San Antonio Chokes?

Spur|n|Austin
06-20-2013, 12:21 PM
I told you to turn in your spurs card. You are easily the worst NASF on this site.

This. Everyone ready for San Antonio Chokes?

Looks like he has some competition.

CosmicCowboy
06-20-2013, 12:22 PM
Bunch of fucking drama queens in here.

Spurs fans are just about the only ones that ever thought they could beat Miami in 7 games.

The rest of the world will just say " I told you Heat would win".

RD2191
06-20-2013, 12:22 PM

Oh you vet spurs fan you. With your hip acronyms and all.

timvp
06-20-2013, 12:23 PM
Tbh, tonight won't mean much for the Spurs outside of San Antonio. If they win, they'll be viewed as a boring team that was good for a long time and won a bunch of championships. If they lose, they'll be viewed as a boring team that was good for a long time and won a bunch of championships.

Now for the Spurs and their fans, this is obviously much, much, much more than that.

z0sa
06-20-2013, 12:31 PM
Oh you vet spurs fan you. With your hip acronyms and all.

Forget the NASF reference. You not only threw in the towel and predicted defeat and failure at literally every sign of adversity these playoffs, you spammed thread after thread with your bullshit. I understand you are obviously new to sports but that is no excuse for being a bitch.

tesseractive
06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
I said it in another thread and I will repeat it here...this will be the greatest show of mental fortitude in NBA Finals history if they win. There has never been a team be so close to a title in Game 6, watched it slip away through a series of circumstances(some in their control and some out of it) in the final seconds of regulation, then come back in Game 7 to win the title on the road. Off the top of my head...I can't think of any playoff series at any time where that has happened.
I don't know if they thought they had it won at any point, but the '74 Celtics lost game 6 at home to Milwaukee 102-101 in double overtime, then came back to win Game 7 on the road. I've never seen film of the game, but it sounds like a monster -- Havlicek had a 36-9 and Kareem had a 34-8. When the C's came back to win Game 7, it was their first post-Russell title.

Juggity
06-20-2013, 12:33 PM
Tbh, tonight won't mean much for the Spurs outside of San Antonio. If they win, they'll be viewed as a boring team that was good for a long time and won a bunch of championships. If they lose, they'll be viewed as a boring team that was good for a long time and won a bunch of championships.

Now for the Spurs and their fans, this is obviously much, much, much more than that.

I get the sense that this finals has changed the perception of the spurs to a certain extent. Not completely, but it feels different. Huge ratings, epic games. There's nowhere to hide for the "Spurs are boring" crowd now, tbh.

ffadicted
06-20-2013, 12:37 PM
IDK about NBA history, but other than the sweetness of first title ever in '99, this would be by far the most amazing Spurs one imo, just from how it all unfolded and the storyline behind Pop, Duncan and the big 3 in general

tesseractive
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM
Spurs fans are just about the only ones that ever thought they could beat Miami in 7 games.

The rest of the world will just say " I told you Heat would win".
This. Duncan has 4 titles. The world will say he was just a little too old to get it done against "living legend" LeBron James, not that the Spurs choked it away.

Tony might get tagged with a Danny White reputation -- great player, not quite great enough in big moments.

SpurSpurSpurs
06-20-2013, 01:11 PM
Looks like he has some competition.

Nothing wrong being a realistic. But of course as a Spurs fan, I don't want that to happen. Still rooting for SAS whatever happens later.

41times
06-20-2013, 01:13 PM
When the Spurs win tonight..............it will go down as one of the Top 5 NBA Finals Series of all time.

benefactor
06-20-2013, 01:22 PM

I think it will be that way for the casual NBA fan, but knowledgeable fans who watch and follow the game closely will appreciate the historical significance of what they accomplished if they win. They know what the Spurs are up against mentally going into Game 7 and what type of effort it will take to overcome the odds.

easjer
06-20-2013, 01:24 PM

Yep, same here.

beallionaire
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Nope. I will glady never post again if the Spurs wim tonight. Which won't happen.

eat a big bag of flaming dicks

MannyIsGod
06-20-2013, 01:44 PM

Don't agree with this at all. This is the Heat in their prime. This opponent is much more fan friendly and highly thought of than any we've faced before. I think 2005 Detroit was a much better team, TBH. (They had serious mental toughness and played to their peak - this Miami team screams mental weakness and underachievement) But the NBA world views this Heat team differently. I think beating them is going to leave a mark no other Finals did.

DPG21920
06-20-2013, 02:52 PM
Agreed, Manny. It's not just that it's the Heat. It's the way game 6 went down and the record for finals game 7's for road teams

timvp
06-20-2013, 03:06 PM
Don't agree with this at all. This is the Heat in their prime. This opponent is much more fan friendly and highly thought of than any we've faced before. I think 2005 Detroit was a much better team, TBH. (They had serious mental toughness and played to their peak - this Miami team screams mental weakness and underachievement) But the NBA world views this Heat team differently. I think beating them is going to leave a mark no other Finals did.

Tbh, if Miami wins the story will be LeBron is great. If the Spurs win, the story will be that LeBron failed.

ErnestLynch
06-20-2013, 03:13 PM
http://espn.go.com/espn/fp/flashPollResultsState?sportIndex=sportsnation&pollId=3755315

MannyIsGod
06-20-2013, 03:16 PM
Tbh, if Miami wins the story will be LeBron is great. If the Spurs win, the story will be that LeBron failed.

I can't totally disagree with this. I still think people not in SA will view this as the Spurs toughest opponent.

ErnestLynch
06-20-2013, 03:21 PM
If the Spurs lose I think it will hurt pops legacy more than the Spurs players. If Miami loses, they'll crush Lebron but...hell he's 29. You don't honestly think this is his last chance do you ? If he wins a few more, this will be forgotten. Especially if he repeats down the road. Legacy's can't be determined in the moment. Legacy is a rear view mirror thing.