PDA

View Full Version : How nervous were you in 2005?

InRareForm
06-20-2013, 12:38 PM
How does it compare today? Would have been devastating to lose two in a row at home (in 2005), and being such a dominant team that year.

Both very strong opponents in both cases. It's on their home court today, and I think that is the ultimate deterrent to victory tbh...

Amuseddaysleeper
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
Feeling much much worse now. At least '05 we were at home.

davidbowie
06-20-2013, 12:39 PM
i dont really remember. after game 5 i knew it was ours.

z0sa
06-20-2013, 12:41 PM
Game 5 was worse for me that year, because I just had no clue if the Spurs were even gonna compete.

Like now, then I felt strangely confident. I think the Spurs hold the keys to victory in their own hands.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-20-2013, 12:42 PM

How did you feel when the Spurs got beat in game 6 and were down by 9 with 7 minutes to go in the 4th and the Piston D was impregnable all game. All I can remember was the look in Timmy's eyes after Pop called that timeout. At that point, I saw the Spurs coming back. But it did look bleak before then.

If Duncan and Co. have that same aggression tonight, the Spurs should pull this off.

tesseractive
06-20-2013, 12:44 PM
This. I just plain believed we could get it done, even when it looked uphill.

mercos
06-20-2013, 12:49 PM
I was more nervous in 2005, which I handled with copious amounts of alcohol. I was actually more confident of victory in 2005. As I've gotten older, losses just don't bother me as much, so I'm not as nervous. I am more excited this time around.

Keepin' it real
06-20-2013, 12:50 PM
I had appropriate fear. I think this year a lot of us have inappropriate fear due to the game 6 heartbreak, the short turnaround, and Manu's horrific play. But I'm optimistic Manu will have a good game today. Not based on any evidence. Just a hunch.

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I wasn't that nervous for the Detroit Game 7 because I knew the Spurs were a way better team than the Pistons. For this Game 7 I'm shitting bricks because I have no idea which team is better.

MeloHype
06-20-2013, 12:51 PM
I don't remember tbh i was 10

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 12:52 PM
I was fairly confident in 2005, mainly because of home court advantage for that game 7.

SpurAddict561
06-20-2013, 12:53 PM
I was just as nervous then as I am now.

Drew2354
06-20-2013, 12:59 PM
Im a bit nervous, but in my mind I know we can win. Never in this series I truly thought we would lose this series. I have a great feeling about tonight.

xellos88330
06-20-2013, 01:02 PM
This year is more nerve wrecking to me. Spurs had home court vs. Pistons and the Spurs blew them out of the building the first two games.

timvp
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
The only way a Spurs fan can say he/she wasn't nervous in 2005 is if they are misremembering, tbh. I was probably more nervous then because that was a championship the Spurs were supposed to win. They NEEDED to win that one, tbh.

davidbowie
06-20-2013, 01:06 PM
http://cdn.lightgalleries.net/4bd5ebf66a9d1/images/HN9X3281-01-2.jpg

ffadicted
06-20-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm so f***ng nervous right now

TDomination
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
I don't remember but every minute that goes by i feel more nervous for tonights game. I can't breathe lol

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-20-2013, 01:10 PM
This year is more nerve wrecking to me. Spurs had home court vs. Pistons and the Spurs blew them out of the building the first two games.

And the Spurs got blown the next two. This series is very comparable to the Pistons series, which was the one I was one edge about, especially after game 4. But just like the Spurs winning game 5 in a come from behind victory in game 5 only to get man handle in game 6, I can see the Spurs returning the favor to the Heat tonight.

History has shown that the team that had to make a dramatic comeback to win a game in a series usually loses the next game. The Heat have lost 2 straight this way this year (Pacers) and the Spurs lost to the Warriors in similar fashion. Anger usually seems to fuel the team that lost.

Same happen in '05 when Pistons lost to the Spurs in game 5 and completely dominated in Game 6 on the Spurs homecourt. I hope history takes precedent in this game as well.

Kidd K
06-20-2013, 01:12 PM
Less than I am now. Being at home is a lot better than being on the road after blowing a game that would've led to a championship.

I still trust the entire team though, except Manu. So as long as he doesn't fuck it up too much and our guys aren't too nervous and tense that they miss their jumpshots all night. . .then it's not a super crazy possibility we can win.

FromWayDowntown
06-20-2013, 01:22 PM
I wasn't nervous in 2005 -- and I'm not misremembering that -- and I'm strangely calm right now. In 2005, I remember thinking all day long that no matter what happened in the game itself, I was going to see one of the rarest things in NBA history and that it was pretty freakin' cool to have that opportunity. Today, I still feel the same way; whatever happens tonight, the Spurs etch another mark in the history of the game playing in only the 17th winner-take-all-the-marbles game. Only 12 franchises in league history have ever had that opportunity and only 7 have had the chance to do it twice.

I've had the chance now to see my team win 4 titles and compete for a 5th. I was disappointed that they didn't close the deal in Game 6, but life goes on. Because they've played well for the vast majority of this series (including an overwhelming amount of the time they've played in Miami) they have another chance to get it done. Disappointment can be crushing; it can also be an extremely good motivator.

If they win, they win and I'll be thrilled.

If they lose, they lose -- but at least they will have played mostly fantastic basketball over the course of an extremely compelling Finals against a star-laden team that was expected to win.

Go Spurs Go.

Darius McCrary
06-20-2013, 01:23 PM
I was extremely nervous. Because after game 5, I thought we should have owned game 6...not the case.

I remember not thinking home court really mattered that much for game 7 because Detroit was a good team that wouldn't be affected by playing on the road.

Thebesteva
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
Robert Horry played out of his mind that game...I just remember being at a bar in LA and everyone was speechless. You could hear a rat pissing on cotton

Sa_Spursfan20
06-20-2013, 01:30 PM
I don't remember much, but I know it wasnt as nervous as today.

spurs10
06-20-2013, 01:35 PM
2005 I have never screamed my guts out so much in my life. A great night! Tonight the Spurs do it again!

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 01:36 PM
The only way a Spurs fan can say he/she wasn't nervous in 2005 is if they are misremembering, tbh. I was probably more nervous then because that was a championship the Spurs were supposed to win. They NEEDED to win that one, tbh.

I knew they were winning when Rob stole Game 5. I'm 100x more nervous tonight. If they win tonight they will have won a title in every way:

Easy sweep over Cleveland
5 game win over New York with a couple of tough battles
6 games over New Jersey after an agonizing 2-2 split
Game 7 at home over the defending champions

Now a Game 7 on the road over the defending champions would round this out so perfectly.

Budkin
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
1000 times more nervous in Game 7 2005. After everything we'd gone through in those playoffs and Robert Horry saving our asses, losing at home would have been absolutely devastating. We weren't even supposed to be here tonight and I feel good about the game. I didn't that night. I had to take a shitload of Xanax to make it through and when we went down 9 in the 3rd I almost threw up. Most nervewracking game of my life.

AntiChrist
06-20-2013, 01:59 PM

This.

gameFACE
06-20-2013, 02:19 PM
I was anxious all day for '05, Game 7. First i was trying to score tix and in the meantime had to go pay a traffic ticket in goddamn Castle Hills. Finally I pulled the trigger on a pair around 3pm. I was nervous going to the game but the crowd was so loud it helped. Man, I'll never forget that exerience. I re-watched the game at 2am, :lol

I'm not nervous yet today but I'm sure I will be. I'll take a Zantac two hours before the game starts.

BoviceRunsTrains
06-20-2013, 02:23 PM
I feel less nervous about this game than I did in 05. Besides Duncan/Leonard the Spurs had one of their worst games of the playoffs in game 6. I say spurs win big and hold off a heat rally at the end.

TheyCallMePro
06-20-2013, 02:29 PM
I wasn't even nervous in 2005. I knew we were going to win. I can't even focus today though. I feel sick to my stomach. I'm going to fucking cry whether we win or lose tonight.

Humberto
06-20-2013, 02:33 PM
Game 7 in 2005 was one of my favorite games to be at.. felt like a college basketball game with everyone standing and cheering for every possession. I am curious to see how the fans are in Miami, if they will be rowdy all 48 or pick their spots when their team does something for them to cheer about.

Hopefully our shooters and Tim can silence the crowd anytime it picks up. Timely shots for us will be huge.

Seventyniner
06-20-2013, 02:37 PM
Robert Horry played out of his mind that game...I just remember being at a bar in LA and everyone was speechless. You could hear a rat pissing on cotton

And given that it was Los Angeles, you probably did.

Thebesteva
06-20-2013, 02:49 PM
And given that it was Los Angeles, you probably did.

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIZC-HqzmYsHBOrB3VAYO_ID2KwC14uzCwWKfP4yYDvj1smhdk

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2013, 02:52 PM

This.

I remember i had a looooooooooooong day and to make it tough that year finals wasn't on TV here. I listened on radio with Bill and Sean

When Pistons was up 9 in the 3rd I was very very very nervous. That game was fantastic. It was the championship that I :cry when the game was over

dbreiden83080
06-20-2013, 02:53 PM

I don't know if they were supposed to win when Detroit was the defending champs who had crushed the same Lakers that beat us the year before.. Series was pretty even..

Spur|n|Austin
06-20-2013, 02:55 PM
I was in college and most likely drunk feeling young, wild, and free so most definitely not as nervous as I am today. By a landslide this is more nerve racking.. Trying to calm the nerves, time to log out and get some work done before hitting the road home.

Gervin44Silas13
06-20-2013, 02:58 PM
Nervous as hell!!!!!

timvp
06-20-2013, 03:00 PM
I knew they were winning when Rob stole Game 5.

You knew they were winning Game 7 after the Spurs got totally outplayed in the previous four games?

Tbh, the Pistons outplayed the Spurs again for most of that Game 7 before the Spurs turned it around at the last possible moment.

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 03:08 PM
You knew they were winning Game 7 after the Spurs got totally outplayed in the previous four games?

Tbh, the Pistons outplayed the Spurs again for most of that Game 7 before the Spurs turned it around at the last possible moment.

Yeah, I was pretty confident about Game 7 since Manu was getting healthier and it was a home game. I think it would have been a 5 or 6 game series had he not injured himself in Game 3 or 4 (forgot which, but seems like it was 3).

hater
06-20-2013, 03:22 PM
bullshit

Pistons could have won game 7. They were in it till 4th quarter

but I do agree it hurt them to be down 2-3 and have to give it all in game 6, and then do the same in game 7

Spurs are in a better position IMO

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 03:24 PM
bullshit

Pistons could have won game 7. They were in it till 4th quarter

but I do agree it hurt them to be down 2-3 and have to give it all in game 6, and then do the same in game 7

Spurs are in a better position IMO

I didn't expect Detroit to be in that position in the third tbh. I was referring to how nervous I was before the game, not during it.

elmanutres
06-20-2013, 03:27 PM
I was anxious all day for '05, Game 7. First i was trying to score tix and in the meantime had to go pay a traffic ticket in goddamn Castle Hills. Finally I pulled the trigger on a pair around 3pm. I was nervous going to the game but the crowd was so loud it helped. Man, I'll never forget that exerience. I re-watched the game at 2am, :lol

I'm not nervous yet today but I'm sure I will be. I'll take a Zantac two hours before the game starts.
fucking castle hills, those bastards and their speed traps and red light traps

hater
06-20-2013, 03:28 PM
I didn't expect Detroit to be in that position in the third tbh. I was referring to how nervous I was before the game, not during it.

to me that series was 50-50 since game 5. After the OT game 5 it became a toss up IMO.

this series is very much similar. it's a toss upp no matter who's the home team

TheChillFactor
06-20-2013, 03:41 PM
a lot of neutral parties were saying we were screwed after we lost that game 6. the main thing i remember from that game was how shitty it was, i think tim was like 10-27 from the field or something. just an absolute war and one i was grateful to win! hopefully we win by 20 tonight!

SpurOutofTownFan
06-20-2013, 03:41 PM
I was shitting on my pants in 2005, pretty much the entire series. Detroit was a great team and they had blown the Spurs out.

I'm more calmed now.

TheChillFactor
06-20-2013, 03:48 PM
This is worth a read as we get ready, Simmons on our last Finals game 7 in 2005:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=simmons/050624

baseline bum
06-20-2013, 03:56 PM
to me that series was 50-50 since game 5. After the OT game 5 it became a toss up IMO.

this series is very much similar. it's a toss upp no matter who's the home team

I don't think this game is 50/50. I think the Spurs odds of winning the series series was roughly 50/50 after they took Game 5 and a 3-2 lead headed back to Miami, but not now conditioning on a Game 6 loss.

Budkin
06-20-2013, 03:59 PM
Ugh my stomach is doing somersaults.

Capt Bringdown
06-20-2013, 04:04 PM
Doesn't compare. We weren't in the position in 2005 of having choked the title away in game 6.

Spurs and Mavs fan
06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
I don't think this game is 50/50. I think the Spurs odds of winning the series series was roughly 50/50 after they took Game 5 and a 3-2 lead headed back to Miami, but not now conditioning on a Game 6 loss.

Yeah. Objectively, I'd put the Spurs' likelihood of winning tonight at around 35-40%.

Vic Petro
06-20-2013, 04:08 PM
I was more nervous in '05 because the Pistons were such a mentally tough club and I knew they would play well. They were a real team. For tonight I feel strangely calm. Of course anything can happen, but no matter the outcome I feel the Spurs are the better team and will play well.

ElNono
06-20-2013, 04:11 PM
I was nervous as fuck, but much more confident, because that team was way more battle tested. By 2005, the focus on defense has been a staple of the Spurs for a while. Tim and Manu were younger. Bowen was there. Pistons were a tough as fuck group, but they didn't have any 'superstar' you had to be concerned would go off at any time.

I still like our chances tonight, but it's a different situation.

50 cent
06-20-2013, 04:34 PM
I remember meeting you and Kori before the game (or maybe it was halftime) and we were all nervous as fuck.

timvp
06-20-2013, 04:36 PM
I remember meeting you and Kori before the game (or maybe it was halftime) and we were all nervous as fuck.

I remember that :lol

I think it was halftime because everyone was petrified.

50 cent
06-20-2013, 04:39 PM
I remember that :lol

I think it was halftime because everyone was petrified.
I think it was halftime. I vividly remember telling Kori that if one team could build a 6 point lead, the game was over. The Pistons promptly came out and built a 6-8 point lead in the 3rd quarter.

JR3
06-20-2013, 05:16 PM
Not as nervous as I am today. That's for sure.