PDA

View Full Version : Danny Green needs to spend the entire Summer..

HarlemHeat37
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
- Learning how to dribble a basketball
- Learning how to make a layup
- Learning how to shoot a mid-range jump shot
- Learning how to pass out of a trap
- Learning how to dunk
- Learning how to play team defense and not fall asleep against shooters

Darius McCrary
06-20-2013, 10:56 PM
He can dunk.

AztecSpurHoops
06-20-2013, 10:57 PM
learning not to crack when it matters most

ShoogarBear
06-20-2013, 10:57 PM
He is an awful ball handler. Anything more than catch-and-shoot is a disaster waiting to happen.

(Now watch Pop decide he's going to be the next backup point guard.)

Spurs Brazil
06-20-2013, 10:58 PM
I think he will. He's improving every other season. It'd be easy to blame him tonight but other were as bad as him

Green had great games in the series and will come back better

Trifecta
06-20-2013, 10:59 PM
- Learning how to dunk

Danny was exposed tonight!!! He dows need to work on his game in the summer!!!
Surprisingly, I do not feel as bad as I thought.
I just dont want to hear the media love fest about LBJ

r-nice
He has no game outside of the three point shot. He has a lot of work to do but I think he'll be a good player for the Spurs.

Seefourdc
There were others as bad as Green? 2/19 in the last 2 games because the only thing he can do is catch and shoot 3's. He's got middle school ball handling skills and can be taken out of the game by someone with a pulse standing near him.

DieHardSpursFan1537
He got double-teamed on nearly every play. It's so sad how he went from getting the most 3's in NBA history to a complete flop in the final 2 games.

TheProfessor
06-20-2013, 11:00 PM
He's a role player. They shut him down, and the Spurs should have adjusted.

Spursmania
06-20-2013, 11:01 PM

DapDaGenius
06-20-2013, 11:02 PM
Danny Green needs to spend the entire Summer...getting ready to leave the team with Manu.

Just kidding, but fuck them.

imjunsul
if he learns all that hes not a role player no more.. he'll be a top 5 SG and with kawhi thats a dynasty if we get some bigs that dont play like a bitch

freetiago
I said it in that other thread where everyone was talking about the most unexpected Spur playoff performer and Green won in a landslide
it wasnt suprising to me to see him go off since hes a streaky shooter
unfortunately for us his hot streak ended in game 5

3 Legged Dog
Trade him. Some guys are champions. Some guys aren't. He absolutely choked in games 6 and 7.

exstatic
06-20-2013, 11:04 PM
- Learning how to dunk

Kill yourself.

objective
06-20-2013, 11:05 PM
doesn't really matter if he does any of those things, tbh. He can finish his summer camp for kids and enjoy his offseason, no pressure to win a title after this year.

Chinook
06-20-2013, 11:06 PM
- Learning how to dunk

I agree. A great three-point shot is nothing in the playoffs without a supplementary two-point game. Had he had one, the Spurs probably win in six.

But that's not a bad thing. He's a big boy now. He's a player teams have to game-plan for. If he can become a more-complete offensive player, he has a chance to be a bona fide starter.

I fear that he could get pushed to the bench next year, though, and Ginobili could be moved into the starting lineup. If the Spurs sign a competent free-agent point-guard and get some more bench help, that might be the best way to keep the team going.

still.focused
06-20-2013, 11:13 PM
This team has absolutely no reason to resign Ginobili
I wouldnt even bother negotiating with him

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 12:10 AM
I'm not criticizing Green for the idiots that responded with hostility:lol..

Green didn't just "stop making shots"..

The Spurs were fortunate that Miami has a horrible coach that needed 5 entire games to realize that Green is an elite spot-up shooter that can't play inside the arc..

I've become a fan of Green, his work ethic seems nice, he needs to develop a counter for the 3-point defense against him, tbh..

Darius McCrary
06-21-2013, 12:13 AM
He needs to develop that 1 dribble long ranger that Bonner attempts.

He needs to do general dribbling drills like NO OTHER. Does he have small hands or something? There has to be room for improvement to at least an adequate level.

He also needs to work on court vision. Unfortunately, I believe that's something you're born with. You either have it, or dont. I don't think he does :(

TrainOfThought5
06-21-2013, 12:13 AM

cjw
06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Trade him. Some guys are champions. Some guys aren't. He absolutely choked in games 6 and 7.

Cavs should have traded Lebron in 2007. Miami should have traded Lebron in 2011. He choked.

littleavery1948
06-21-2013, 12:17 AM
Kill yourself.

You tell the OP to kill himself, why? Truth hurt? Green was AWFUL at all of those things tonight, except he made the occasional block. Green has to expand his game, or he is going to continue to be a role player who is screwed without the PG playing lights out.

angelbelow
06-21-2013, 12:24 AM
- Learning how to dunk

Green's future is bright, but the bolded are obvious weaknesses of his. I cringed every time he dribbled into traffic or anytime he went for that annoying floater of his.

Danny's a smart kid and a hard worker, moving forward I fully expect to work on these areas. We lost, but he needs to take pride in being a "potential FMVP candidate" and do whatever it takes to add to his game.

jesterbobman
06-21-2013, 03:54 AM
The good thing: He probably will.

I can't imagine how hard Kawhi is going to work. He has a reputation as a robot gym rat, and getting that close probably pushes him into madness.

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2013, 04:02 AM
I'm actually proud of Danny Green. He grew big time, as far as confidence goes, during these playoffs. Asking him to step up in a Game 7 and carry the load was too much to ask of him. The law of averages was eventually going to catch up to Danny Green. Add to it the fact that Chris Bosch said after Game 6 that the Heat would no longer allow him to get open looks. I do agree with the OP though. He needs to work on expanding his game.

crc21209
06-21-2013, 04:03 AM
Main things he needs to work on is dribbling, working on his mid-range game, and pump faking at the 3 point line and dribbling to the basket.

TE
06-21-2013, 04:08 AM
I generally agree with Harlem's takes but you're asking too much from a role player who happened to catch fire.

Mal
06-21-2013, 04:19 AM
Danny will develop. He`s good hard working guy. Him and Kawhi will come way better next year.

therealtruth
06-21-2013, 06:21 AM
Why couldn't the Spurs have taken more advantage of Green's guy sticking to him. Put Green's defender in situations where he's forced to help.

SAGirl
10-02-2017, 05:10 PM
ah well.. I was looking for a church of Danny and didn't find it.
There were several Danny themed threads that would have been appropriate to bump, but I had to choose this one from Harlem Heat. I miss the fella. RIP whereever you are. Hopefully you just have a full and happy life and went the way of Kawhitstorm... You just had enough of the "deceptive site."

Anyways, after a long grind of several seasons, Danny finally got recognition for improvement defensively. We all know that, but here is him reminiscing about the phone call from Pop to congratulate him. He got nervous bc at the time he was in trade talks and thought Pop's call was to tell him he was traded. The irony. Here is in his words:
http://www.expressnews.com/sports/spurs/article/Spurs-Green-still-hungry-after-finally-gaining-12241801.php?t=ac97d6f9a4c6ed8151&cmpid=twitter-premium

The call came early in the morning, interrupting a deep sleep for Spurs guard Danny Green while on vacation in June.
With rumors swirling that he might be part of a trade in a package deal with forward LaMarcus Aldridge, Green immediately grew anxious when he saw the number belonged to Gregg Popovich.

“I knew it was some type of news,” Green recalled Friday. “I just didn’t know what. I was kind of scared a little bit about what was going on.”

“Congratulations,” the Spurs coach said.
“For what?” Green thought. “What is going on? Have I been traded?”

“It never bothered me,” Green said. “I never took it personal. I know that even if it was true, even if it wasn’t just rumors, it’s a business. I’ve seen many guys come and go, cut or traded. It’s part of the deal. I don’t take it personal.”

He also says of his offseason and the summer that he spent time working to get his efficiency to improve from his spots, to improve his shooting % and pull up shot areas. He's looked good early in the season to me.

Seventyniner
10-02-2017, 05:50 PM
He also says of his offseason and the summer that he spent time working to get his efficiency to improve from his spots, to improve his shooting % and pull up shot areas. He's looked good early in the season to me.

Good read, thanks for posting it. Green has struggled recently due to Parker slowing down and LMA taking a much different role in the offense than Duncan had. Green will do much better once he adjusts his game to Pop's offense, and it sounds like he has been doing just that.

ceds
10-02-2017, 06:25 PM
I made a thread awhile ago that had everyone laughing called "can we get in on the Brooklyn pick?".... part of why i didn't bother to start any other threads since.

I was trying to make a case that Danny is the ideal piece for a Cle team missing a starting 2 guard as he's playoff proven 40% from 3 + All NBA defense and the Cle could go defensive against G/S (rose,green,bron,crowder,Thompson)

most didn't agree with me that the value for Danny was anything close to the Brooklyn pick (5-11 likely) and i agreed and considered sweetener options like taking on a bad contract and giving our first as-well.

Lebron is the GM & was able to recruit wade so now this is not an option we can explore.

i am still of the opinion that if we can move Green for a young asset then we jump at the chance.....his value won;t get any higher then it currently is and no one is beating G/S.

our window starts in 2 years unless injury happens

TheGreatYacht
10-02-2017, 11:36 PM
He practiced on improving his accuracy? Accurate at what? Being the first ever player to break the rim just by shooting the ball?

1-7fg today, 1-6 from three

ceds
10-02-2017, 11:46 PM
i think Green stopped practicing long ago.....he's happy being on the guest List in some shity SA club

TimDunkem
10-03-2017, 12:02 AM
i think Green stopped practicing long ago.....he's happy being on the guest List in some shity SA club

How a guy can be in the league this long without adding a single thing to his game is beyond me. Guess checking out underage girls at Cowboy's Dance Hall all summer is more important.

TheGreatYacht
10-03-2017, 01:02 AM
Definitely a rookie poster of the year candidate. Haven't disagreed with a single post

ceds
10-03-2017, 01:46 AM
How a guy can be in the league this long without adding a single thing to his game is beyond me. Guess checking out underage girls at Cowboy's Dance Hall all summer is more important.

we need to trade him if the right opportunity comes along right?

I've stepped on enough toes here already so i'm not trying to start some shit ( i'm not even starting threads yet) and i don't want a confrontation like i had earlier with Chinook.
If anything i hope what happened embolds new posters / lurkers to come out with their thoughts a maybe offer up a new perspective then the running agenda.

I had earlier dismissed Daboom when he mentioned i have a target on my back but after contributing in the "kawhi tho T-shirt" thread with some great info i was attacked by some random jerk-offs who wanted to provoke.
i shouldnt say random...just The doctor ....why come at me like that man? i got no agenda here!

My take on the current situation:

1) No one is beating G/s the next 2 seasons unless of injury + There is no guarantee in a series against OKC / HOU
2) The good news in 2 years is we have a clear payroll & kawhi is 28 so we will get a good 5 year window to contend.
2) Because of this we need to find out about DJ/White/Kyle (i think Bertan's is safe) as soon as possible.
4) i expect that Kawhi will have allot of opportunity to initiate the offense & work on his play-making during this 2 year down time.

In a nut shell what i'm saying is the next 2 seasons are basically a throw away and for me personally being a 3-6 seed is not enough.

We need to seriously consider moving green for a young asset if the right opportunity presents itself to position ourselves for Kawhi's prime.

The only other way i can see us contending is if DJ somehow becomes a rebounding mini ball-hawk Kawhi on D that we can sick on curry and other pg's + score when the offense breaks down.

It's a lot to expect for a 2nd year player and has little chance of happening but i say throw him in the fire & give him the opportunity that Tony had so we can evaluate his progression.

would anyone like to add their thoughts on the above?

What i'm proposing (throwing away 2 seasons for development) is a tough pill to swallow since we have the best player in the league atm.

If this should be a green topic i should discuss in here then the question is do we explore trade opportunities and shop him around for a young asset or pick this season while his value is at it's highest?

ceds
10-03-2017, 06:42 PM
Definitely a rookie poster of the year candidate. Haven't disagreed with a single post

:toast

fwiw i hope what transpired brings out some other long time lurkers to come up with some fresh takes on the current issues.

dream scenario would be if we could get some of the old posters back (even for a quick minute) back to offer their thoughts on what direction we should take.

i understand now that posters already have firm beliefs on player(s) / direction of the team and when someone new (slightly immature - i'll admit the youtube post was unnecessary but i couldn't stop myself) challenged some of these idea's it ruffled some feathers.

i'm not kidding when i say this place used to rival any NBA related board you could find online & by far the best source for spurs info.

Hoping the board has seen enough now to know that i am who i say and that their is no agenda with anybody.

SAGirl
10-03-2017, 06:50 PM
Frankly I don't know what Danny's real trade value is. The price for him from the Spurs side was rumored to be high. It's not like they wanted to get rid of him or anything. They were going to trade him for Irving or Porzinguis, or someone young with star potential (a lottery pick they liked). He wasn't valued that high clearly. He's a one year rental too, that further depresses his value to a trade partner and he's only of interest to a contender. He's not worth the Bkyn pick to Cleveland specially if they are sure Lebron is walking after the season is over.

ceds
10-03-2017, 07:05 PM
Thanks for the reply SA....i hope you can find the time to address the post because im interested in your opinion.

again
i understand now that posters already have firm beliefs on player(s) / direction of the team and when someone new (slightly immature - i'll admit the youtube post was unnecessary but i couldn't stop myself) challenged some of these idea's it ruffled some feathers.

Hoping the board has seen enough now to know that i am who i say and that their is no agenda with anybody.

Prose
10-03-2017, 07:19 PM
Danny fell victim to the entire offense shift from our previous offense in the championship years, it was a pace and space team. Now the team is a slower iso heavy team and this affects him

ceds
10-03-2017, 07:34 PM
Do we hold onto him so we can remain competitive in OCK / HOU series?

i agree with many he is currently an elite 3/D role player.

My case is he has 3-4 years at best remaining at that level which doesn't match with the Kawhi window since he's 30? and won't improve. Defense is usually the first thing to drop off from an aging player but if he takes a low contract and bench/mentor role for whoever the replacement is i wouldn't be mad.

Just i would like to see us shop him and look for opportunities. The problem is he's a player only contending teams would likely be interested in, so now that Cleveland is out i can't think of many other possibilities unless its to provide vet experience to a young team.

i'm pretty sure Philly would have given us an asset for him before taking on Reddick for 20Mil for example.