PDA

View Full Version : Tiago Splitter deserves an extension.

timmy2003
06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
He has been solid for the entire season.
His one on one defence has been impressive.
He is mobile and can defend pick and roll.

dg7md
06-20-2013, 11:41 PM
:lmao

Thomas82
06-20-2013, 11:42 PM
The Spurs are done with him.

Richie
We would never have got past the Grizzlies without him.

We need him back. Desperately.

dallasmaverickslose
I'm a huge Tiago fan, but I question now if he's worth keeping.

playblair
extend blair...................... splitter = broken.................

dg7md
Tiago can't finish, he is a professional juggler with the ball and cannot compete on the big stage. Totally expendable big...

Brasileiro
I'm a huge Tiago fan, but I question now if he's worth keeping.

Not for 10 mi thats for sure

Harry Callahan
06-20-2013, 11:43 PM
At the right price he is a serviceable player. No more no less.

DeadlyDynasty
extend blair...................... splitter = broken.................
I love this troll:lol

MannyIsGod
If bringing back Tiago means overpaying then no thanks. And I doubt we can get him for what he truly is worth because teams in the NBA LOVE to overpay for height.

timmy2003
You don't discredit a player based on the performance of a few games.

RD2191
06-20-2013, 11:44 PM
:lmao Baynes will be 10x better than Splitter. Just wait and see.

Nathan89

Even Bonner was guarding Zbo successfully because Kawhi was helping off of the shooters. Now if Grizz add a couple of pieces that could be different but we would've still beat the Grizz this year.

timmy2003

This.

noles1983
fuck splitter, dont let the door hit ya on the way out

TheProfessor
06-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I suspect someone will vastly overpay for his services.

TheyCallMePro
Splitter disgusts me. Thank GOD we won't be giving him another contract this off-season.

Will be exciting to see who we get in free agency.

timmy2003
:lmao Baynes will be 10x better than Splitter. Just wait and see.
No, he won't. Baynes doesn't have the mobility and quickness that are desperately needed.

mooseknucks
these games were just too fast and too intense. he didnt adjust.

Nathan89
06-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Really depends on the contract though. We can't pay the guy just to perform in the regular season and his benefits are significantly less in the playoffs. We won't be able to start him next to duncan vs every matchup so you can't give him too much money. When the going gets tough he's looked pathetic two consecutive years in the playoffs.

dallasmaverickslose
06-20-2013, 11:48 PM
Let's develop Aron Baynes.

mexicanjunior
06-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Fuck Splitter, he is the softer than Charmin...

Spurs9
06-20-2013, 11:55 PM
:lmao send his ass back to Ecuador tbh

SpurOutofTownFan
06-20-2013, 11:59 PM
Most people are very emotional and don't have a fucking clue.

Tiago was priceless against Memphis, I would dare say that the Spurs wouldn't have a shot of winning that series without Tiago. He was brought to the Spurs so the Spurs could compete with big teams such as Memphis.

If the opponent in the finals was Indiana instead of Miami, Tiago would have played much more and be a better matchup. This was a bad series for him.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
06-21-2013, 12:00 AM
:lmao

Beat me to it!

:lmao :lmao :lmao

Timing, dude, timing.

jag
06-21-2013, 12:02 AM

Richie bringing the level-headed, not getting caught up in the moment goods

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 12:03 AM

Tiago was priceless against Memphis, I would dare say that the Spurs wouldn't have a shot of winning that series without Tiago. He was brought to the Spurs so the Spurs could compete with big teams such as Memphis.

If the opponent in the finals was Indiana instead of Miami, Tiago would have played much more and be a better matchup. This was a bad series for him.

Agree completely. Tiago has been big against the Lakers and Memphis. Miami really created a lot of match up problems and essentially made Tiago irrelevant for this series.

AFBlue
06-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Someone else will be giving it to him imo, tbh.

Spurs will likely leverage the fact that he's restricted and get back an asset (role player or prospect/draft pick and exception).

dylankerouac
06-21-2013, 12:05 AM
Last year Splitter played in summer games, correct me if I'm wrong but no games or qualifiers this summer which means he has a chance to improve his post and catch and shoot game during the offseason. I look forward to his improvement.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-21-2013, 12:06 AM
Last year Splitter played in summer games, correct me if I'm wrong but no games or qualifiers this summer which means he has a chance to improve his post and catch and shoot game during the offseason. I look forward to his improvement.

I believe you are correct Sir.

Juggity
06-21-2013, 12:07 AM
Splitter is one of the few solid backup centers in the league. He is absolutely crucial to the spurs.

Without him, spurs are a second round out in the west.

Floyd Pacquiao
06-21-2013, 12:08 AM
nah let him walk...sign a monkey baller and develop him

mikec
06-21-2013, 12:09 AM

Co-signed. You're blind if you don't see his value (at the right price of course). We don't get past Memphis without his defense. And I don't see Memphis going away any time soon. Miami was just a bad matchup for him.

imjunsul
06-21-2013, 12:15 AM
we wont win anything with tiago... rather pay dwight than overpay tiago

Kamala
06-21-2013, 12:18 AM
Tiago Shitter

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Without Tiago, Memphis would have been playing against Miami in the final.

freetiago
06-21-2013, 12:23 AM
Needs to play for a coach who believes in him
should go to ATL and team up with Bud and Al Horford

Miami's swarming defense and all the hacks they got away with were too much

Darius McCrary
06-21-2013, 12:23 AM

:tu solid

timvp
06-21-2013, 12:24 AM
I want him back but the amount I would spend on him went south during the Finals. It's painfully obvious he's not a big-game player ......... but he has value the other 98% of the season.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-21-2013, 12:24 AM

Yeah I think a lot of folks are going to lose sight of this. He did have a solid season and a good playoff run up until the Finals. Compared to last years playoff run he performed much better (even against two great bigs in Howard and Randolph. Lets not forget this his strength is the Pick and Roll which just so happens to be Miami's strength defensively. That block was ugly by LeBron but Lebron does that to a lot of players. Lets hope Splitter continues to improve so next year he takes up the bulk of Timmy's minutes thereby letting Timmy rest most of the season.

SpurOutofTownFan
06-21-2013, 12:25 AM

so you would go ahead and over pay dwight then?

johnpaulwall21
06-21-2013, 12:25 AM
He folds on the biggest stage. I hope he's gone next year

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 12:28 AM
I want him back but the amount I would spend on him went south during the Finals. It's painfully obvious he's not a big-game player ......... but he has value the other 98% of the season.
The spurs can use the final series as an excuse to lower Tiago's salary.

spursmvp
06-21-2013, 12:28 AM
Splitter needs a midrange jumpshot, or something other than that useless hook. Why can't bigmen learn to shoot? He gets paid how much to practice basketball 8 hours a day!

Whisky Dog
06-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Holy shit did he get soft as charmin in the finals. The Spurs desperately needed that backup big man to spell Tim and keep the defense strong and this guy blew it big time. He is one of the main reasons the Spurs didnt win the title in less than 7 games. If Splitter shows up big the Spurs win in 6 no doubt

Nathan89
06-21-2013, 12:32 AM
Splitter is no different then Rj and Bonner when it comes down to it. A softy that does his best work in the regular season so paying if you pay him you will be overpaying. Also why play people that can't really perform in the playoffs? Splitter didn't do anything special in these playoffs. Baynes shut down Howard for a stretch. Bonner shut down Zbo for stretches.

Two10Whitey
06-21-2013, 12:33 AM
No, he won't. Baynes doesn't have the mobility and quickness that are desperately needed.
What the hell are you talking about? We needed a big who could get physical and rebound.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 12:36 AM
What the hell are you talking about? We needed a big who could get physical and rebound.
Baynes can be a solid backup center but Tiago is a lot more versatile.

Tim_duncan21
06-21-2013, 12:43 AM
Extend him at a reasonable price. He's been serviceable against most teams in the league.

Two10Whitey
06-21-2013, 12:45 AM
I didn't even mention Baynes.. We don't know what Baynes full potential is until he becomes comfortable with our system. He's big, physical, can obviously dunk on people, and apparently is a decent shooter.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2013, 12:46 AM
He's gonna get overpaid. It's time to let him walk.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 12:47 AM
Nope! I don't think we see him back or at least that would be my business sense. He's not going to develop a post game in the off season or a mid range game, he's not strong, he can't rebound the ball and he's a defensive liability unless you're as slow as he is. If they offer him anything it better be 4 years at 2 million a year.

Atl Spur
06-21-2013, 12:47 AM
He has a basketball skills , Tiago splitter lacks his heart!

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 12:49 AM
Guy is unbelievably soft. If we could re-sign him for $6 million a year than yea. But he's going to demand $9-10 million, which is a joke for a guy as soft as him and who is benched in the NBA Finals.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
I didn't even mention Baynes.. We don't know what Baynes full potential is until he becomes comfortable with our system. He's big, physical, can obviously dunk on people, and apparently is a decent shooter.
Agree. Baynes is a bargain.

jmanu20
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
As long as the price isn't too high, definitely resign him. Chip needs to work with him on developing a 10-12 ft jumper.

I agree with everyone who says he was invaluable vs. Memphis. He defended Z-Bo very well. Miami was just a bad matchup for him.

Baynes is more of an "enforcer, bruiser" type player. I do want the Spurs to keep him just to have that one guy who isn't afraid to do the dirty work.

spurraider21
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
He's good as gone unless he signs for the qualifying offer

ChumpDumper
06-21-2013, 01:11 AM
Baynes can be a solid backup center but Tiago is a lot more versatile.In what ways?

Baynes is no where near a Splitter level player yet, but his offense is already more diverse than Splitter's.

ElNono
06-21-2013, 01:13 AM
He needs to pull a Nene and bulk up... as timvp said, he cost himself some money with these Finals... we'll see what other teams are willing to pay...

SpurPadre
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM

You do if you get back to the Finals next year and play the same team.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:17 AM
In what ways?

Baynes is no where near a Splitter level player yet, but his offense is already more diverse than Splitter's.
Tiago has been highly productive against many all star calibre bigs (e.g. Griffin, Gasol brothers, Randolph, etc. ).
He is a lot quicker on both ends of the floor.
He can be paired with Timmy.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:22 AM
You do if you get back to the Finals next year and play the same team.
Don't worry about getting back to the Finals at this stage. The west will be pretty competitive next year.

SpurPadre
06-21-2013, 01:24 AM
Don't worry about getting back to the Finals at this stage. The west will be pretty competitive next year.

Discredit this team at your own risk. They're always doubted and always come back with a chance to compete. Yeah, we've been snake bit for 6 years but we always find ourselves in the thick of things. With TP still at his peak and Kawhi emerging, we can still find ourselves back in the title picture.

shingo_318
06-21-2013, 01:27 AM
No, please don't let me see this sorry ass again.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Discredit this team at your own risk. They're always doubted and always come back with a chance to compete. Yeah, we've been snake bit for 6 years but we always find ourselves in the thick of things. With TP still at his peak and Kawhi emerging, we can still find ourselves back in the title picture.
The Spurs will surely be a contender next year but getting back to the Finals is not guaranteed.

cdcast
06-21-2013, 01:54 AM
Looking at the free agents, they have no shot at Howard or West. Jefferson and Millsap are terrible defensive players.
There's not much out there this summer. Maybe Gasol gets amnestied but that's a longshot.

In the draft, maybe a player like Dieng (Louisville) might be there when Atlanta has their two picks. He's a very good
defensive player but weak offensively.

Maybe they trade for someone- at the moment I can't see what big would be available.

And perhaps their best option when they look at what's available this summer might still be Splitter. And if they sign Splitter,
they would still need another big.

3 Legged Dog
06-21-2013, 01:56 AM

If by "a lot more versatile" you means hurts this team in as many way as possible, is unbelievably weak, a horrible rebounder and looks scared when it matters. Then, yes..... He's versatile.

do NOT resign him. He is worthless

Johnny RIngo
06-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Before the playoffs, 10 million looked likely for him. After the playoffs, it's apparent his only standout attribute is his defense. Besides that, he's a horrible rebounder, mentally weak, no go-to move on offense, and entirely dependent on the pick 'n roll for his scoring. Anything more than MLE is pushing it.

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 02:25 AM
If only there was a top tier FA out there who could help this team win next year.. but there aren't, none that would ever sign with the Spurs. So, we're relegated to overpaying for Splitter and probably Neal... smh.

ChumpDumper
06-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Tiago has been highly productive against many all star calibre bigs (e.g. Griffin, Gasol brothers, Randolph, etc. ).
He is a lot quicker on both ends of the floor.
He can be paired with Timmy.I don't think Tiago is really any quicker than Baynes at this point.

Baynes could conceivably play with either Tim or Splitter.

jimbo
06-21-2013, 02:37 AM
I don't think Tiago is really any quicker than Baynes at this point.

Baynes could conceivably play with either Tim or Splitter.

:rollin

elmanutres
06-21-2013, 02:39 AM
he was good against oakland and grizz, but after the heat series. no. he was exposed as a soft player. Timmy was the only real big man left. There's a reason why splitter is named vagina after this series

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2013, 02:42 AM
I'd say go after some of the big men free agents such as Al Jefferson, David West, Josh Smith, Nikola Pecovic, etc. If Spurs aren't able to land anything, then definitely keep Splitter even though that means that we probably won't have a shot at another title next year.

Texas_Ranger
06-21-2013, 02:43 AM
He deserves to be kicked in his soft vagina. The Spurs will probably give him money so we can watch this pussy play like a little girl next year in the playoffs.

ElNono
06-21-2013, 02:43 AM
Tiago is gonna get paid... even if it's not the Spurs writing the checks... he's young, and good Centers in this league are a premium... despite the swing to small ball in general.

Keepin' it real
06-21-2013, 02:44 AM
Tiago is a good player. Not championship material, but good enough to make playoff runs with Kawhi and Green. But no, don't overpay.

NRHector
06-21-2013, 02:44 AM

You're damn right a few games, how about a few seasons?

ChumpDumper
06-21-2013, 02:57 AM
:rollinCare to elaborate?

I'm not advocating one or the other. The plain fact is Baynes has some range so it would be easier to work him into a half court set.

Do you not believe this or something?

Stabula
06-21-2013, 03:04 AM
Splitter better be at the gym right now putting on some muscle. The guy has no upper body strength and regularly gets tossed around like a guard.

Snaq O'Meal
06-21-2013, 03:23 AM
I'd say go after some of the big men free agents such as Al Jefferson, David West, Josh Smith, Nikola Pecovic, etc. If Spurs aren't able to land anything, then definitely keep Splitter even though that means that we probably won't have a shot at another title next year.

Only Nikola Pekovic stands out from that list. But he's a restricted free agent, so prying him away from Minnie will be tough.

Snaq O'Meal
06-21-2013, 03:26 AM
Care to elaborate?

I'm not advocating one or the other. The plain fact is Baynes has some range so it would be easier to work him into a half court set.

Do you not believe this or something?

Baynes is a big man who actually plays like a big man. Would be intriguing to see how he actually fares against the Heat's underwhelming frontline.

TheGreatYacht
06-21-2013, 04:16 AM
Splitter better be at the gym right now putting on some muscle. The guy has no upper body strength and regularly gets tossed around like a guard.Then how was he able to defend DH12, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, and Zach Randolph? Tiago just sucks balls at finishing at the rim. The Heat are also very good at blocking shots as a team. Shit even Mike Miller got a few blocks during the series. Tiago's defense is good he's just not a good rim protector and has WNBA type finishing moves.

smaka
06-21-2013, 04:24 AM
His priorities during the summer should be:
1) Work on finishing at the rim
2) Bulk up

If somebody throws huge money at him (I'm sure it's bound to happen) and he accepts it (not so sure about it since he told many times he likes San Antonio), then let him go. Otherwise... 24mil/3 years?

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 04:34 AM
I lost a lot of respect for Splitter in the Finals, but the Free Agent alternatives are pretty weak, tbh..

Millsap is the only interesting FA big, tbh(Pekovic is restricted and going to get paid big)..

rascal
06-21-2013, 04:38 AM

Sure they could if they had another big, not Splitter. The spurs won't be replacing Splitter with a guard. They will have to add another big to the roster. They need a player good enough to play effective against every team and that is not Splitter.

rascal
06-21-2013, 04:40 AM
I lost a lot of respect for Splitter in the Finals, but the Free Agent alternatives are pretty weak, tbh..

Millsap is the only interesting FA big, tbh(Pekovic is restricted and going to get paid big)..

Then the spurs are just going to have to make a trade. That is what a good front office does. There will be some bigs that get moved in trades.

rascal
06-21-2013, 04:41 AM
Then how was he able to defend DH12, Pau Gasol, Marc Gasol, and Zach Randolph? Tiago just sucks balls at finishing at the rim. The Heat are also very good at blocking shots as a team. Shit even Mike Miller got a few blocks during the series. Tiago's defense is good he's just not a good rim protector and has WNBA type finishing moves.

He also is a weak rebounder.

rascal
06-21-2013, 04:44 AM
If only there was a top tier FA out there who could help this team win next year.. but there aren't, none that would ever sign with the Spurs. So, we're relegated to overpaying for Splitter and probably Neal... smh.

Then make a trade. That is what a good front office can do. There will be some good bigs that get traded this year.

therealtruth
06-21-2013, 05:07 AM
He's got to develop his low post games. He has to be able to punish teams for going small. He hit a couple of crucial baskets in the Grizz series.

boutons_deux
06-21-2013, 05:12 AM
Spitter's 28. He's not going to bulk up or change his game. not athletic, no aggression, he fucking spectates shots from no man's land instead going to the boards. He's in basketball because he's tall, like Rasho, like so many big men, not because he's an athlete, which he isn't. Splitter's not going to be significantly better than he is now.

KL2
06-21-2013, 05:33 AM
Someone will overpay for him, besides I think Baynes can actually be a better player. He's physical enough that he can guard the biggest guys in the league, he can run the floor, block/alter shots, he looks like he's got a post game as well as a mid range jumper.

Tiago can only score on the P&R, he was guarded by Mike fucking Miller/Battier on multiple occasions and didn't do jack shit. Baynes would expose that matchup 10/10 like any center wth balls would do, there isn't a single player that could matchup with Baynes on MIA, he'd bowl through guys like nothing, especially when grabbing boards.

Splitter may show up against western conference teams, but why the hell would you keep such a vital piece to your team that isn't effective against the champs? You must tailor your team to defeat the opposing team, having that vital piece disappear like that is a major blow, it's practically equivalent to playing without them! It changes a ton of things offensively forcing guys to adjust on the fly.

Teams are able to adjust over time, and not over night. Another example used to be Bonner getting major minutes, playing his role perfectly then totally disappearing in the playoffs, suddenly that spacing wasn't there, his offense was gone, it forced the whole team to adjust on the fly. That offense they'd been accustomed to playing with when he was on the floor totally changed.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 05:59 AM
Sure they could if they had another big, not Splitter. The spurs won't be replacing Splitter with a guard. They will have to add another big to the roster. They need a player good enough to play effective against every team and that is not Splitter.
Name a big who is good enough to play effective against every team?

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 06:03 AM
Tiago can only score on the P&R, he was guarded by Mike fucking Miller/Battier on multiple occasions and didn't do jack shit. Baynes would expose that matchup 10/10 like any center wth balls would do, there isn't a single player that could matchup with Baynes on MIA, he'd bowl through guys like nothing, especially when grabbing boards.

It is easier said than done. It was difficult to take advantage of the size difference against Miami's defense. Even Timmy struggled.

rascal
06-21-2013, 09:02 AM
David Robinson could have come out of retirement and played better than Splitter.

dallasmaverickslose
06-21-2013, 09:08 AM
Splitter doesn't deserve a whole lot of money after he let us down in the finals. If he agrees to come back at a reasonable price, bounce on that offer. Otherwise, let's move on from him.

Either way, it's time to develop Baynes.

tmtcsc
06-21-2013, 09:19 AM
I've got an extension for Splitter: http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lt6iz6m47E1qcs29b.gif

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 09:25 AM

This.

The Spurs pretty much have to bring Splitter back.

ffadicted
lol @ most people already forgetting how bad we were inside without splitter. He's not great but unless you're bringing in a better replacement (plz point out who), then you keep him

200 miles
Someone will overpay for him, besides I think Baynes can actually be a better player. He's physical enough that he can guard the biggest guys in the league, he can run the floor, block/alter shots, he looks like he's got a post game as well as a mid range jumper.

Splitter may show up against western conference teams, but why the hell would you keep such a vital piece to your team that isn't effective against the champs? You must tailor your team to defeat the opposing team, having that vital piece disappear like that is a major blow, it's practically equivalent to playing without them! It changes a ton of things offensively forcing guys to adjust on the fly.

Teams are able to adjust over time, and not over night. Another example used to be Bonner getting major minutes, playing his role perfectly then totally disappearing in the playoffs, suddenly that spacing wasn't there, his offense was gone, it forced the whole team to adjust on the fly. That offense they'd been accustomed to playing with when he was on the floor totally changed.

A resounding +1. Indiana has the blueprint to beat Miami, they only lacked a dependable true PG.

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 09:28 AM
They need a player good enough to play effective against every team and that is not Splitter.

Those guys are few, far between, and really, really expensive. Essentially what you're saying is that the Spurs should try to max-out Dwight Howard.

Baam
06-21-2013, 09:29 AM
The whole run was basically without Splitter, the Memphis series is the only one he really had any impact in.

If we can get better it's a no brainer to let him walk, I don't like the idea of using him as a center off the bench again, he's a good enough rebounder to play center in my book.

Baam
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
lol @ most people already forgetting how bad we were inside without splitter. He's not great but unless you're bringing in a better replacement (plz point out who), then you keep him

We went to the WCF last year and did great in 3 series this year without much from Splitter tbh.

KuntryDude
06-21-2013, 09:30 AM
Splitter is a 7 foot version of Ginobli. He is way too turnover prone. His play alone tells you how dominant our league is versus all others around the world. Remember, this jackass was MVP of the Spanish league.

kobyz
06-21-2013, 09:34 AM
Splitter should be resign, but for not more than 6 mil a year, that's the max he is worth, i don't see how he can ask for more as he is only a complementary player, a good one but with some defects.

maverick1948
06-21-2013, 10:15 AM
One team can outbid us with ease. They can outbid any NBA team. Real Madrid. They have already said they are going to make a run at Splitter. If he is offered, 8 million by some NBA team, and Real Madrid offers 10 million. What does Splitter do? I say he goes back to Europe to play. He is a Spanish citizen as well as being a citizen of Brazil. He married a Spanish woman. I do hope we are not going to over pay him to stay. When he came to SA, he was an MVP and has not been used like an MVP. I am not so sure he wants to stay in SA. He goes back to Europe and dominates even more than before. We also have to remember, he has been making serious money for the last 12 years or so. I think anything over 6 mill a year for the next 3 and he is overpaid.

Make a run at JJ Hickson. He might just come to play on a possible championship team. But before we address Splitter, we need to address the PG position. We dont have a backup point guard.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-21-2013, 10:17 AM
One team can outbid us with ease. They can outbid any NBA team. Real Madrid. They have already said they are going to make a run at Splitter. If he is offered, 8 million by some NBA team, and Real Madrid offers 10 million.

Do you know the highest paid BB in Europe is only making like 5 mil a year. This isn't the Real Madrid Football Team were talking about.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 10:55 AM
Splitter should be resign, but for not more than 6 mil a year, that's the max he is worth, i don't see how he can ask for more as he is only a complementary player, a good one but with some defects.
I am sure someone else will pay him more than 6 mil. Look at how much Nene, McGee, Chandler are making. Mediocre bigs are paid star money in this league.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:02 AM
Those guys are few, far between, and really, really expensive. Essentially what you're saying is that the Spurs should try to max-out Dwight Howard.

They should have gotten Tyson Chandler years ago. How many times has he been traded?

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:06 AM
The spurs left too much room to James and Wade because they were not strong enough on the interior . And Wade and James buried their open looks. Basically their weak frontline( not enough help for Duncan) helped cost them the championship.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:08 AM

They are not. Every year solid front line players are traded.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
The spurs left too much room to James and Wade because they were not strong enough on the interior . And Wade and James buried their open looks. Basically their weak frontline( not enough help for Duncan) helped cost them the championship.
It was the fact that Miami went small that killed the Spurs. Besides, their frontline is not weak defensively. Tiago is a good defender.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:14 AM

With this attitude nothing gets accomplished other then bring back Splitter. Get on the phones and see who is avaialble, see if there is any interest in Splitter in a sign a trade maybe packaged with another player.

Unless there is an upgrade on the frontline and a true backup pg( manu should never again be given pg duties) on the roster next year forget about any titles.

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 11:17 AM
They should have gotten Tyson Chandler years ago. How many times has he been traded?

They are not. Every year solid front line players are traded.

What solid front line player got traded this year? What did it take to get him?

Sure, the Spurs can get a Tyson Chandler whenever they want. All they have to do is trade Tony Parker for him.

Bill_Brasky
06-21-2013, 11:21 AM
I didn't mind that he couldn't play well with Tim against Miami. It was his inability to come in and consistently spell Timmy with GOOD minutes. His rebounding was very bad considering he was playing against midgets.

We still need him back though.

Cowboys_Wear_Spurs
06-21-2013, 11:24 AM
My take on Tiago, he played superb in '12 run until the WCF and choked.
He played superb in game 5 & 6 against GS and in the WCF finals and then choked in the Finals.

Next year. I see him putting together a complete playoff run were he doesn't choke at all.

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 11:27 AM

Sure, the Spurs can get a Tyson Chandler whenever they want. All they have to do is trade Tony Parker for him.

Or Dampier :wow

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 11:31 AM

The objective is to get a physical center who can play defense with a reasonable contract. Chandler is just way too expensive.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:35 AM
The objective is to get a physical center who can play defense with a reasonable contract. Chandler is just way too expensive.

I am not saying get him now. I am using him as an example of a player that the Spurs could have gotten at a cheaper cost that would have been much better than Splitter. Get a similar young player who just has to grab some rebounds, play some post defense and score on putbacks and low post dunks. The spurs don't need an all star just a solid low post serviceable center who can play against all teams and that is not Splitter.

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 11:40 AM

A reasonable contract for a physical center who can play defense is still $9 mil a year in this league. I've got no problem letting Splitter walk if the Spurs can find someone who's both a better player and can be signed to a contract that offers better value. I just can't think of who that could be, unless you're talking about Dwight Howard and the max contract it would take to get him. So, until somebody comes up with a name, the Spurs have to hang on to Splitter.

BRs.Ganso
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
Splitter should go to a team witch he can play his basketball

this season he did screen PNR plays with Spurs guards and 5% of times he receive the ball back to finish in progression against the rim.

in Caja Laboral when he played with Huertas, most of his points was made in screen and pick and roll situations, with mid range floaters, this way he was mvp of regular season and finals of spain.

ducks
06-21-2013, 01:39 PM
make splitter work with the dream this offseason spurs !

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 01:45 PM
make splitter work with the dream this offseason spurs !

I think Olajuwan would laugh his ass off the court. The guy is weak and clumsy and can't rebound. The fact that he can stand in one place with his hands up is nice here and there for defense but what he gives up on quickness and offense is not enough to pay him with the fact that the Spurs are getting older and have absolutely no bigs whatsoever. Need someone who can score and rebound.

Mark in Austin
06-21-2013, 01:50 PM

If an offense as intricate as the Spurs suddenly has to adjust to what it's doing because a major cog is now nearly worthless on the biggest stage, to me it seems hard to justify the price he will command... Honestly I'd rather spend 10 million a year on Josh Smith than Splitter at this point.

(I can't believe I just typed that. Must still be too emotional)

DrunkTXLabrat
06-21-2013, 01:57 PM
i think splitter should be extended in the 7.5 to 10 million range. closer to the 7.5 because of the finals fail. yeah 7.5 is high, but its a competitive number. if he wants more, i might be okay with a let him walk. the spurs replace him with that mavericks #13 dump. hell, i'd like to see the spurs pick up carter in the dump. i'd love to see carter and mcgrady team up again.

i think the decline of manu is more detrimental, than splitters limp performance. i think decolo and joseph are enough backup point for the future. we know there's defense and assists there. and tbh, they might very well be smarter with the ball than manu.

carter/mcgrady reunion. fixes the manu decline major problem. less turnovers and more points from the bench swing.

timmy. cheap splitter re-sign. baynes. adetokunbo, mitchell, carmichael, livo-jean, something like that at 28. and gobert at 13. frech connection and freakish body! thats plenty interior defense and big depth. carter/mcgrady can save their energy on the defensive end. all they gotta do is score.

DrunkTXLabrat
06-21-2013, 02:03 PM

this season he did screen PNR plays with Spurs guards and 5% of times he receive the ball back to finish in progression against the rim.

in Caja Laboral when he played with Huertas, most of his points was made in screen and pick and roll situations, with mid range floaters, this way he was mvp of regular season and finals of spain.

the spurs need to be a team that lets splitter play his basketball. that is splitters scapegoat. pop didn't give the big 3 the propper guidance. timmy shoulda been told to stay outta the way on offense and look for his cut and mid ranger. parker and manu weren't working the splitter screen enough. and when they did, they weren't feeding splitter enough edible passes. cojo and decolo shoulda got a chance at the splitter p&r.

Spurs Brazil
06-22-2013, 07:01 AM
1st thing the Spurs should do is talk to Milsap. If it didn't work they go back to Tiago

Anything more than 5m is too much for Tiago. Imagine in 2 years when TD is gone the Spurs paying 7-8m for Tiago. That'd be damn bad

Russo21
06-22-2013, 07:11 AM
Fuck Tiago. He couldn't even score against Becky Hammon in the post.

milkyway21
06-22-2013, 07:27 AM
I want Splitter playing for the Spurs. $8-10M.

benefactor
06-22-2013, 07:45 AM
It's a tough decision, but I'm leaning towards keeping him. He's seasoned in the system and Duncan will need more rest than ever next season to prepare for another potential run. He is one of the best pick and roll bigs in the league...and that is a staple in the Spurs offense. Even though he crapped the bed hard in the Finals, I agree with others that have said that it would have been much more difficult for the Spurs to get there without him.

He has his warts...and if the team was headed into full rebuild I'd be for letting him go...but when you step back and stare at the big picture that is next season I think he is needed and is the best option out there for the price(providing he doesn't receive a ridiculous offer from another team).

SpurOutofTownFan
06-22-2013, 10:32 AM

Sure its a brilliant idea! :pop: how is it possible it didn't occur to me before?

Big Empty
06-24-2013, 03:31 PM
Tiago was very effective against the Lakers and Grizzlies. He was worthless during the finals. Hes an upgrade from past centers weve had. So unless we are signing dwight we need Tiago back to deal with the size in the west. If anything, the finals may have made him a million or two cheaper to resign. This team was 20 seconds away from a title. No need to go crazy changing everything. Miami will be in the finals as along as they are healthy for the next 2 years. So we need Boris back since he was huge for us. We should get rid of Bonner and find a decent back up center that can take Tiagos minutes who is more mobile if we can get back to the finals. Or even a Gino replacement who can create. I love the idea of signing Paul Pierce for this. He can shoot even at his old age.

temujin
06-24-2013, 03:37 PM

Spurs is the only NBA team in which he will receive as much attention on his rolls as he had playing with Huertas.
Splitter needs the Spurs more than the Spurs need Splitter, judging from the Finals.

peacemaker885
06-24-2013, 04:05 PM
Tiago has the right attitude, which counts the most in our system.

freetiago
06-24-2013, 04:18 PM
i lold as i knew this would happen
everyone said Splitter cant post up smaller guards
when did the Spurs ever attempt to get him the ball in the post and get reps vs NBA defenses
he gets completely ignored in the PNR a majority of the time even though hell set maybe 5-6 screens in some plays
hes the most active player on the Spurs right there with Parker tbh
the only other time the team even attempts to get him the ball is on last second bail out shots
his defense changed the Spurs from a middle of the pack team with Diaw starting to the best defensive 5 in the NBA

check his stats when Duncan went down with the knee injury and he became the primary option on offense
the Spurs need Splitter more then he needs them tbh

and everyone is mentioning the Lakers and Grizz
he was one of the most important players vs GS
when he rejoined the starting lineup it completely changed the wya SA was able to defend Curry/Thompson
Duncan could step out on rolls and contest 3s since he knew Splitter was back there guarding the rim
without Splitter next to Duncan the Spurs got torched

temujin
06-24-2013, 04:28 PM
when did the Spurs ever attempt to get him the ball in the post and get reps vs NBA defenses
he gets completely ignored in the PNR a majority of the time even though hell set maybe 5-6 screens in some plays
the only other time the team even attempts to get him the ball is on last second bail out shots
his defense changed the Spurs from a middle of the pack team with Diaw starting to the best defensive 5 in the NBA

check his stats when Duncan went down with the knee injury and he became the primary option on offense

when he rejoined the starting lineup it completely changed the wya SA was able to defend Curry/Thompson
Duncan could step out on rolls and contest 3s since he knew Splitter was back there guarding the rim

Disagree.
Spurs can use Splitter in the regular season and to get past Memphis.
He was pretty useless in the other series, except G5 vs Warriors, second half.
At the right price (well below 5 M/year), OK.
I think there will be crazy enough GMs of ever-irrelevant teams that will throw him twice as much.
That's what I like about the Spurs, they are not part of the GM crazieness.

Slippy
06-24-2013, 05:51 PM
Pop has lost faith in Split two post-season's in a row. The only reason to bring him back would be if his coach still needs a whipping boy . It would be a wasted roster spot, money from the Spurs standpoint and I don't think Tiago wants to ride the pine with a tight leash.

Go their separate ways . If Spurs can get something by sign and trade. Do the biz.

Sean Cagney
06-24-2013, 06:36 PM
I love this troll:lol

I hate him lol.

superbigtime
06-24-2013, 06:40 PM
I want all the Spurs bigs back except for Bonner. Tiago, Diaw, Tim and Aldridge, damn that's dreamin.

Josepatches_
06-24-2013, 07:39 PM
I want him back.

He was soft in the Finals but he never was Ben Wallace. He should be the best big we had since Robinson outside Tim.

Spurs should work with him on defense & rebound.

therealtruth
06-24-2013, 10:07 PM

Pretty much alot of people don't appreciate his value.

alamo50
06-26-2013, 10:19 AM
Tiago has no business in San Antonio.
NEXT!

dbreiden83080
06-26-2013, 10:44 AM
No.. He had his chance and blew it.. I don't want him back.. Take a risk on somebody else..

TheGoldStandard
06-26-2013, 01:20 PM
At 28 years old I don't see him developing a jump shot, a post game or anything that will improve enough to pay him over 5 million a year and that's a stretch. He's worth 2 mil a year.