PDA

View Full Version : Cap experts. How much cap space do the Spurs have?

Buddy Holly
06-21-2013, 12:04 AM
If Manu retires

They amnesty Bonner.

armynick23
06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
If Manu retires

They amnesty Bonner.

Bonner can not be amnestied, plus he has 1mil guaranteed next season that would be a waist, Manu has a cap hold against him if he resigns, so he should retire.

chapnis
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
Bonner can not be amnestied, plus he has 1mil guaranteed next season that would be a waist, Manu has a cap hold against him if he resigns, so he should retire.

Pretty sure he can be.

Bruno
06-21-2013, 01:03 AM
$19M

Man In Black
06-21-2013, 01:04 AM
ESPN says 20 Million.

coachmac87
06-21-2013, 01:06 AM
Bruno. If you were GM what's would you do??

I say let Splitter walk shoot for Milsap. Sign Manu for 2yr/10mil and draft sg/ sf

Jimmy Cobaine
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Fuck Manu let him walk

celldweller
06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
David West would be nice!!

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
I don't quite get it. Do Spurs have more cap space if Manu takes a smaller contract?

Bruno
06-21-2013, 01:12 AM
Bruno. If you were GM what's would you do??

I say let Splitter walk shoot for Milsap. Sign Manu for 2yr/10mil and draft sg/ sf

Amnesty Bonner.
Let Neal, Blair, Mills (if he opts out), McGrady go.
Re-sign Splitter and Manu.
Sign Millsap and a backup SF like Casspi.

3 Legged Dog
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Manu doesn't count for shit against the cap, if Spurs renounce. Bonner CAN be amnestied. Of course our cheap owner cannot afford to do it. So it's a nonissue.

we'll bring back Turnobili and Clitter (both are mistakes). Our front office will draft some White stiff European... Who can't get out if his contract for 5 years. They'll continue to depend on Danny Green (anther mistake).

We cannot get any quality free agents to come to Backwater, USA...... No matter how much cap pace we have. So it really doesn't matter

Chinook
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
First off, the Spurs will only keep Ginobili's cap hold if they plan to stay over the cap. If they want to use cap space, they'll just renounce Ginobili and use cap space or the room exception to re-sign him. Either way, it's hard to know the impact of him leaving until after the Spurs make a decision on how they want to attack the off-season.

However, Bruno , I don't think the Spurs have enough cap space to make all of those signings unless Ginobili takes an even bigger pay cut than most of us expect. I'd rather the Spurs look to trade Bonner during the draft and then use Bird rights for Splitter and Ginobili and part of the MLE on Casspi. That way, they don't have to worry about draft-pick holds and can even offer longer deals to second-round picks/international players.

Bruno
06-21-2013, 01:27 AM
However, Bruno , I don't think the Spurs have enough cap space to make all of those signings unless Ginobili takes an even bigger pay cut than most of us expect. I'd rather the Spurs look to trade Bonner during the draft and then use Bird rights for Splitter and Ginobili and part of the MLE on Casspi. That way, they don't have to worry about draft-pick holds and can even offer longer deals to second-round picks/international players.

If they do it smartly, Spurs will have at least $13.4M to split on Ginobili and Millsap. And that's assuming that Splitter will get more than his cap hold which isn't sure at all after a very quite playoffs campaign.

coachmac87
06-21-2013, 01:28 AM
Amnesty Bonner.
Let Neal, Blair, Mills (if he opts out), McGrady go.
Re-sign Splitter and Manu.
Sign Millsap and a backup SF like Casspi.

Ok. But what are we re signing Splittet and Manu for??

If we can get Milsap and Casspi:toast

So that'd be

Parker/Joseph
Green/Manu
Leonard/ Casspi
Milsap/ Diaw
Duncan/ Splitter

With Nando, Baynes and rookie??

I'm really high on Milsap and think he'd be perfect player next to Timmy. But could we honestly afford him??

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:32 AM
Ok. But what are we re signing Splittet and Manu for??

If we can get Milsap and Casspi:toast

So that'd be

Parker/Joseph
Green/Manu
Leonard/ Casspi
Milsap/ Diaw
Duncan/ Splitter

With Nando, Baynes and rookie??

I'm really high on Milsap and think he'd be perfect player next to Timmy. But could we honestly afford him??
Casspi should be affordable. Not sure about Milsap.

Chinook
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
If they do it smartly, Spurs will have at least $13.4M to split on Ginobili and Millsap. And that's assuming that Splitter will get more than his cap hold which isn't sure at all after a very quite playoffs campaign.

It'll be close then. Millsap isn't a bad target, but I'd rather have get someone who can score for the bench with the space. I'm assuming getting Millsap would push Splitter to the bench, as a Diaw/Millsap frontline is pretty weak. So unless the starting lineup is Parker/Green/Leonard/Diaw/Duncan, I don't think the bench has the firepower it needs to improve from this season. Simply put, there needs to be at least one player who can carry the offense besides Ginobili. In the very least, having the cap space will allow the Spurs to play the amnesty waiver wire this season.

allansy20
06-21-2013, 01:43 AM
Why do people want Omri Casspi?

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 01:45 AM
Why do people want Omri Casspi?

Cause he'd probably flourish in our system. He's a good spot up 3-point shooter, just doesn't get many open looks for the Cavs. Or much PT. He wouldn't be a game changer by any means, but he'll knock down his looks.

Man In Black
06-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Again, here is that article:

4. San Antonio Spurs | Future Power Rating: 774
PLAYERS MANAGEMENT MONEY MARKET DRAFT
378 (9th) 170 (1st) 125 (8th) 55 (13th) 44 (19th)

We recently celebrated the fifth anniversary of the Spurs being considered too old to remain contenders. Instead, San Antonio is heading in the opposite direction in the Future Power Rankings; this is the highest the Spurs have ever ranked in the FPR, dating back to November 2009. San Antonio certainly has benefited from this year's Finals run, but the Spurs' future would be promising no matter what.

Quietly, San Antonio has managed its salary structure to potentially have more than $20 million in cap space this summer. In practice, much of that will go to re-signing free agents Manu Ginobili and Tiago Splitter, but Splitter's cap hold ($7.5 million) is reasonable enough that the Spurs could still clear about $10 million if Ginobili quickly agrees to a smaller new contract.

The flexibility is impressive given San Antonio has four starters under contract from this year's Western Conference champions. While the Spurs will see their depth take a hit with reserves DeJuan Blair, Gary Neal and possibly Boris Diaw (player option) hitting free agency, GM R.C. Buford and head coach Gregg Popovich have repeatedly demonstrated their ability to find cheap newcomers they can plug into San Antonio's system.

The biggest looming question is how long Duncan can continue to anchor the Spurs. He has two years left (including a player option) on the contract he signed last summer and is coming off a season as good on a per-minute basis as any since the 2007 championship. As long as Duncan competes at a high level, so too will San Antonio.

-- Kevin Pelton
(Previous rank: 9)

Darius McCrary
06-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Our Euro stash who tore his ACL really screws things up IMO.

Mr.Bottomtooth
06-21-2013, 01:52 AM

Do you not trust Baynes to develop into a good rotation player? Splitter/Duncan/Millsap/Diaw clogs the frontcourt.

Man In Black
06-21-2013, 01:55 AM
Greg Monroe has refused to talk extension with the Pistons until 2014. I like his game and feel that if he has the proper mindset, he could be amazing in the Spurs System.
I'd take the likes of Shawn Livingston because of his ability to bring up the ball and a taller, more capable player than the sniper known as Gary Neal. If Gary could have recognized that the paint didn't need him, he could have been out by the arc to at least contest Battier!!!!

T Park
06-21-2013, 02:14 AM
Al Farouq Aminu. And a defensive mobile big.

Chinook
06-21-2013, 02:18 AM
Al Farouq Aminu. And a defensive mobile big.

If the Spurs can fix his shot, then he'd be an interesting combo-forward. But he'd have to take a cheap, long-term deal. I doubt he'd be in the rotation any more than Joseph was for most of the season.

Bruno
06-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Do you not trust Baynes to develop into a good rotation player? Splitter/Duncan/Millsap/Diaw clogs the frontcourt.

Well, he would still get some minutes with Duncan not laying b2b and some potential injuries but I'm not ready to give him a bigger role.

Chinook
06-21-2013, 02:21 AM
Greg Monroe has refused to talk extension with the Pistons until 2014. I like his game and feel that if he has the proper mindset, he could be amazing in the Spurs System.
I'd take the likes of Shawn Livingston because of his ability to bring up the ball and a taller, more capable player than the sniper known as Gary Neal. If Gary could have recognized that the paint didn't need him, he could have been out by the arc to at least contest Battier!!!!

I'd probably take the Spurs eating Gooden's contract (probably by S&Ting Splitter) for them to give up Monroe--at least. He's probably right behind Cousins for least-realistic young-big targets for the off-season. Don't get me wrong; I like the way you think. There are other just more-legitimate targets that should cost a lot less to acquire.

Man In Black
06-21-2013, 02:29 AM
I'd probably take the Spurs eating Gooden's contract (probably by S&Ting Splitter) for them to give up Monroe--at least. He's probably right behind Cousins for least-realistic young-big targets for the off-season. Don't get me wrong; I like the way you think. There are other just more-legitimate targets that should cost a lot less to acquire.
Gooden? He played for Milwaukee not Detroit.
If Detroit buys into the hype that Cody Zeller is a cheaper Big with better upside than Monroe, I could see Monroe going.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/5/25/4365668/counterpoint-pistons-should-absolutely-not-trade-greg-monroe

Chinook
06-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Gooden? He played for Milwaukee not Detroit.
If Detroit buys into the hype that Cody Zeller is a cheaper Big with better upside than Monroe, I could see Monroe going.
http://www.detroitbadboys.com/2013/5/25/4365668/counterpoint-pistons-should-absolutely-not-trade-greg-monroe

I meant Villinueva. Sorry, although really, it's an easy mistake to make. :lol

Do you have a suggestion on what the Spurs could offer for him? I don't think they have anything but Green and Leonard (untouchable) or Splitter and Neal (tradeable, but also player whom Detroit can just sign). I just can't see a deal there.