PDA

View Full Version : 2012-2013 - A Season to Remember

Darius Bieber
06-21-2013, 12:38 AM
At the beginning of the season, nobody expected the Spurs to be on top of the Western Conference. Analysts were all over the Lakers and Thunder to face the Heat in the Finals. Yet, nobody is talking about the season the Spurs put together to get to the NBA Finals.

Sure, we can talk about missed Free Throws and how Duncan wasn't in the game to grab a rebound, but at the end of the day every Spurs fans needs to lift up their head and be proud as fuck. Nobody gave this old, boring, led by a 37 year old team to make it this far. And Spurs exceeded expectations.

I go to college in Iowa and we don't have any media coverage of the Spurs. Since November, I have streamed every game that wasn't on National TV this season and witnessed a truly amazing season. This recap is all by memory, so please forgive me if I get some stats wrong.

With a clean slate in 2012, the Spurs faced two tough opponents in the first two days. A back-to-back against the Hornets and Thunder. Back then, "analysts" believed the Hornets could give the Spurs a run for their money in the Southwest division. They finished last. Nevertheless, the Spurs won in a close game in New Orleans. The very next day, they were back in San Antonio to face the defending Western Conference champs, the Thunder. With a Tony Parker buzzer beater, the Spurs celebrated the revenge they were seeking. It was at this point, I believed the Spurs had a tank to take it far.

There were ups and downs, just like every season. The Austin Toros almost beat the Miami Heat, and it was a $250,000 celebration on Spurstalk.If the Toros were just one Ray Allen three point miss away from winning, then the Spurs could have a chance later on. Neverless, the downs come, too. The Spurs finished below .500 in the month of April. Jackson was cut. Spurstalk was nervous that the Lakers could beat them in the first round. The Spurs put all doubt aside for a sweep.

Golden State was a threat. Taking two resounding leads in Game 1 and 2, the Spurs managed to split the series thanks to a Manu tres, and ultimately beat the team that was "guided by God's hands." Sweeping the Grizzlies gave the forum a lot of confidence. Sadly, the Spurs couldn't finish off an extraordinary season.

The Tim Duncan postgame interview should give everyone here something to think about. The Spurs wanted to win. They are devastated, as we are, about Game 6 & 7. Even multimillionaires, with their paychecks, are down about missed opportunities. As much as I thought the performance tonight was no where near the Spurs' potential, I rest easy that the good guys gave it their all. You should too. It's entertainment after all. I was entertained this whole damn season, from start to finish, that's all I can ask for.

Remember the season as a reminder, not about choking, but about how a team full of aging stars and no name players came together. Remember the Parker shot against OKC in the second game of the season. Remember the comeback against Golden State in Game 1. Remember the Duncan laugh against Howard in Game Three. Remember that contracts are up for many players the Spurstalk community wants out of here. And remember that next November, every team from the Bulls to the Bobcats will be 0-0. Don't be sad that it's over, be happy that it happened. That there was a Game 7. That the Spurs overcame the media's negativity. That they Believed.