PDA

View Full Version : Will Manu be back next season?

FearDaDuncaN_SA
06-21-2013, 12:52 AM
Discuss

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 12:53 AM
Yes.

MeloHype
50/50 he played well tonight until he made that retarded turnover

Mr.Bottomtooth
I think he's back on a one year deal. He's declining, but I think he's too competitive to go out like this.

Skull-1
I hope not

ElNono
06-21-2013, 12:54 AM
I don't expect news until the summer... I'll translate if he posts something in that Argie newspaper...

mikec
06-21-2013, 12:54 AM
i think he signs something like a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a player option.

2centsworth
06-21-2013, 12:55 AM
People freaked when I said last year he should have retired. Dude is 36 going on 46. I love him but his time has come.

GINNNNNNNNNNNNOBILI
I hope so.. Still our 2nd best playmaker.

We are better with than without him

HI-FI
unfortunately.

Atl Spur
06-21-2013, 12:56 AM
I love managing Oakley he's in my favorite clear for years but he's finished he doesn't have it anymore is that due to him not wanting to to be a good player he just can't be a good player at this point

armynick23
06-21-2013, 12:57 AM
I would love Manu to hang it up and take over Coach Bud spot as a assistant coach.

Ibleedslvrnblk
He will play one more year, no way he goes out like this. How soon we forget that he got us past GSW and a game 5 win

Atl Spur
Damn auto type!!!

Atl Spur
06-21-2013, 12:59 AM
Manu is done!!

lurker23
i think he signs something like a 2 year deal with the 2nd year being a player option.

This. Manu still has some gas left in the tank (at least as far as being a contributor, not an All-Star), and a 1+1 type contract makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Not sure on money, but I'd lean toward 2 years, $10 million.

coyotes_geek
I'd expect a 3 year deal with the 3rd year only being partially guaranteed. Effectively just paying him two years of salary but getting to spread it out over three years on the salary cap, thus lowering his cap figure for this coming year. Spurs did something similar with McDyess and Bowen, IIRC.

DMX7
His health is a major concern. I don't know if his body can even last another NBA season unless he's only playing like 30 games in the reg season, and then just hoping he can get it going by playoff time.

superjames1992
This. Manu still has some gas left in the tank (at least as far as being a contributor, not an All-Star), and a 1+1 type contract makes a lot of sense for both parties.

Not sure on money, but I'd lean toward 2 years, $10 million.
+1.

baseline bum
06-21-2013, 01:00 AM
I really hope Manu is back, but I think he is going to retire. No idea how the Spurs will plug the hole.

mexicanjunior
I hope not...

DJ Mbenga
He needs to retire. Jason kidd didnt do it, had to leave in shame as a crap player

SayTown
Manu is a spot up shooter now not a playmaker, he is now truly a bench player on a championship team

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:01 AM
He will be back if he's willing to accept a diminished role and smaller contract.

Bruno
Whatever he decides, I would be fine with it. He has numerous times this season that he would likely still play one or two seasons, so I expect him not to retire. In that case, Spurs should re-sign him.

Now, what I won't be fine with is that if he takes a shitload of time to make up his mind. The draft is in 6 days and Manu's choice will impact what they will do that night. If he hasn't made his decision by next Tuesday, it will start to hurt Spurs.

michaelwcho
Do you bring him back, Pop?

"He's Managing Oakley."

superjames1992
Manu is a spot up shooter now not a playmaker, he is now truly a bench player on a championship team
I could have swore I saw him slash through the Heat defense and make some plays at the basket quite a few times tonight, tbh...

SundvoldGino20
06-21-2013, 01:02 AM
My fave Spur of all time will be back!!!!

UZER
06-21-2013, 01:02 AM
He just needs to stop handling the ball so much. But I can't really blame him when pop hasn't found a back up point guard since Claxton left 10 years ago.

spurs10
06-21-2013, 01:04 AM
I don't expect news until the summer... I'll translate if he posts something in that Argie newspaper...
Thank you sir. Your translation were are always insightful and appreciated.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 01:05 AM
He just needs to stop handling the ball so much. But I can't really blame him when pop hasn't found a back up point guard since Claxton left 10 years ago.
Agree. There is no one else who can create his own shot apart from Tony and Manu.

SayTown
06-21-2013, 01:06 AM
I could have swore I saw him slash through the Heat defense and make some plays at the basket quite a few times tonight, tbh...

Ok true but how about the rest of the playoffs and not just this last game

ElNono
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Whatever he decides, I would be fine with it. He has numerous times this season that he would likely still play one or two seasons, so I expect him not to retire. In that case, Spurs should re-sign him.

Now, what I won't be fine with is that if he takes a shitload of time to make up his mind. The draft is in 6 days and Manu's choice will impact what they will do that night. If he hasn't made his decision by next Tuesday, it will start to hurt Spurs.

I doubt he'll make a decision in 6 days, and I doubt the Spurs expect him to make a decision by then. I could be wrong, but from what I've been reading he's going to think about it over the summer.

ironman2886
06-21-2013, 01:07 AM
Manu is done. I will pray he retires. I don't want the Spurs to pay him so he can play for 60 games a year, and we have to hope he shows up in the playoffs?

james evans
06-21-2013, 01:08 AM
why the hell would any spurs fan want him back?

Borosai
06-21-2013, 01:10 AM
If he is willing to adapt, then he should come back. He needs a new role.

Twisted_Dawg
06-21-2013, 01:13 AM
In todays paper Peter Holt said he would be back which means they will offer him a contract.

I hope not. He is declining so rapidly and it ill only get worse.

I hope he retires before he embarrasses him self anymore than he has.

UZER
06-21-2013, 01:14 AM
I hope he doesn't come back or understands he needs to dial it way back.

As I said before, early in the season I told my friend I was tired of Manus game. It's just so wreckless and careless now that his body cant keep up with his mind. It kills the offense and the teams momentum all the time. I just let dealt with it because Manu is my favorite spur of all time. And here we are...Manu killing us in the playoffs with his wreckless careless playing style. He doesn't deserve to go out and being remembered playing this bad.

Bruno
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
I doubt he'll make a decision in 6 days, and I doubt the Spurs expect him to make a decision by then. I could be wrong, but from what I've been reading he's going to think about it over the summer.

In that case, it will screw Spurs offseason unless Spurs' FO has decided to do nothing regardless of Ginobili's choice.

And quite frankly, retiring vs. playing another year isn't that of a big decision. 4/5 days should be way enough to make that choice.

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 01:15 AM
If he comes back, he needs to be the 8th man off the bench, not the 6th or a starter.. simple as that. I love Manu but it's hard to watch him play the way he is right now. I wouldn't mind at all if he hung em up.

carina_gino20
06-21-2013, 01:16 AM
I hope so. He needs a better exit than this. :lol

I don't think he'll have a problem taking on a diminished role. He's been doing it the whole year.

ElNono
06-21-2013, 01:16 AM
The one with the magic wand to dial it back is Pop... And I understand the concern he might not want to... but honestly I think Kawhi will force his hand.

I'll take this Manu in Neal's role over Neal every time. That's the role where he can still help the Spurs. But the Spurs need a backup PG. They just do. CoJo, DeColo, or some other piece.

ElNono
06-21-2013, 01:17 AM
In that case, it will screw Spurs offseason unless Spurs' FO has decided to do nothing regardless of Ginobili's choice.

And quite frankly, retiring vs. playing another year isn't that of a big decision. 4/5 days should be way enough to make that choice.

I expect him to write a new column soon in that Argie newspaper, so we'll probably have a better idea then. I'll keep you all posted.

MannyIsGod
06-21-2013, 01:18 AM
Manu in Neals role would be awesome.

Libri
06-21-2013, 01:19 AM
I think he will be back.

Harry Callahan
06-21-2013, 01:20 AM
I think he'll be back for one more year - he can still contribute.

His role/minutes will be lessened for sure.

He will also have to take a LOT less money to stay here with the salary cap.

3 Legged Dog
06-21-2013, 01:23 AM
50/50 he played well tonight until he made that retarded turnover

Which retarded turnover? Since he had THREE OF THEM LATE IN THE GAME, you're gonna have to be a little more specific. Turnobiliiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii.

God, no. I ope that he NEVER wears black and silver again. 8 turnovers in game six could have been forgiven..., but going 1 of 2 from the FT line, with a trophy literally on the line, he C H O K E D!

timvp
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
I can't fathom a Spurs fan not wanting Ginobili back. It just doesn't compute in my mind.

The nikkra pulled his hamstrings three times, had literally no warmup for the playoffs and still had some really good moments. He had some bad games, yes, but he's still a very high quality player.

What we witnessed was a rhythm player who wasn't able to get into a full rhythm before the playoffs started. He tried to work his way into feeling comfortable on the fly and it was a bumpy road.

But, damn, Spurs fans are really wanting to bury a player who just last season was playing as well as ever? WTF? Do some breathing exercises before spewing that garbage, tbh, you're obviously too emotional over this playoff run to think straight.

/rant

3 Legged Dog
06-21-2013, 01:26 AM
I think he'll be back for one more year - he can still contribute.

yes. Turnovers and bricks

senorglory
06-21-2013, 01:31 AM
Wonder what his salary will be.

Doe
06-21-2013, 01:37 AM
After having time to digest that loss, I'd really like Manu to come back. As a purely selfish reason, I'm not ready to watch Spurs games without Manu.

dbestpro
06-21-2013, 01:38 AM
No, he will and should retire. The only real question left is will his poor performance in the playoffs jeapordize his hall of fame chances?

UZER
06-21-2013, 01:39 AM
I can't fathom a Spurs fan not wanting Ginobili back. It just doesn't compute in my mind.

The nikkra pulled his hamstrings three times, had literally no warmup for the playoffs and still had some really good moments. He had some bad games, yes, but he's still a very high quality player.

What we witnessed was a rhythm player who wasn't able to get into a full rhythm before the playoffs started. He tried to work his way into feeling comfortable on the fly and it was a bumpy road.

But, damn, Spurs fans are really wanting to bury a player who just last season was playing as well as ever? WTF? Do some breathing exercises before spewing that garbage, tbh, you're obviously too emotional over this playoff run to think straight.

/rant

Why? So how does he ever find his rhythm if he keeps getting hurt. He can't make it through a whole season anymore so he'll never be in rhythm. Dude is done! You don't let a boxer keep that gets his head knocked around over and over keep trotting out into the ring just because he has a few good rounds once in awhile. He'll never stop wanting to fight, and although that's admirable, it's also dumb. Manu hurt the spurs waaaay more than he helped this year.

Unless he accepts a severely diminished roll, he will keep getting in his own way, and in the way of the spurs as pop has certain guys he wont give up on (ie Finley).

timvp
06-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Why? So how does he ever find his rhythm if he keeps getting hurt. He can't make it through a whole season anymore so he'll never be in rhythm. Dude is done! You don't let a boxer keep that gets his head knocked around over and over keep trotting out into the ring just because he has a few good rounds once in awhile. He'll never stop wanting to fight, and although that's admirable, it's also dumb. Manu hurt the spurs waaaay more than he helped this year.

Unless he accepts a severely diminished roll, he will keep getting in his own way, and in the way of the spurs as pop has certain guys he wont give up on (ie Finley).

Manu is a year removed from being a top three shooting guard in the NBA.

One bad playoff run and Spurs fans want him to retire.

Genius.

Then again, Spurs fans were calling for Duncan to retire back in 2010 just like they're calling for Ginobili to retire now. So I'm not too surprised, tbh.

Skull-1
06-21-2013, 01:50 AM
Please no. Just retire....

UZER
06-21-2013, 01:56 AM
Manu is a year removed from being a top three shooting guard in the NBA.

One bad playoff run and Spurs fans want him to retire.

Genius.

Then again, Spurs fans were calling for Duncan to retire back in 2010 just like they're calling for Ginobili to retire now. So I'm not too surprised, tbh.

A top 3 shooting guard that can't stay healthy? That's not a top three shooting guard. And next year he will be 37 and two years removed from being a "top three shooting guard". Speaking of someone that needs to think rationally and not with their heart. C'mon Timvp....Manu is D-U-N.

baseline bum
06-21-2013, 01:56 AM
The Spurs aren't going to get another Manu Ginobili for a long time. Loved the way he came and played tonight when Tony's hamstring was obviously not there physically.