PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Ceiling for the Spurs next year?

Chris16
06-21-2013, 02:12 AM
I think they will have another solid season, have a tough 1st round opponent but get by them and then lose to the Clippers who will probably have a better coach in the and CP3 finally gets over the hump against the Spurs.

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 02:20 AM
There are no great teams in the West, tbh..

Spurs can get back if they tweak their roster, but they will fall short of the title if Parker is the #1 option..

Chris16
06-21-2013, 02:24 AM
There are no great teams in the West, tbh..

Spurs can get back if they tweak their roster, but they will fall short of the title if Parker is the #1 option..

Define "there are no great teams in the West"?

There are definitely great teams in the West, just because they didn't win the championship doesn't mean they're not good teams, it's just Miami's time right now.

But I don't think the Spurs will get back to the Finals for a while, the Clippers w/ a better coach will definitely go far in the playoffs. I think the Thunder and Clippers will be the top 2 Western Conference teams next year, while the Spurs will be 3rd.

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2013, 02:28 AM
Define "there are no great teams in the West"?

There are definitely great teams in the West, just because they didn't win the championship doesn't mean they're not good teams, it's just Miami's time right now.

But I don't think the Spurs will get back to the Finals for a while, the Clippers w/ a better coach will definitely go far in the playoffs. I think the Thunder and Clippers will be the top 2 Western Conference teams next year, while the Spurs will be 3rd.

clippers will have a great team if that trade with boston goes ahead

spurs need to resign tmac imo, give him a roster spot see what he can really do...could take jax vacant seat,

how about a legit fkn backup PG....

ElNono
06-21-2013, 02:29 AM
Too early... you first have to look at any moves in the West...

In general, despite the disappointment of falling short in the Finals, I though this team can play with anybody if they remain healthy, which isn't a given with aging players (sup Lakerfan)...

Chris16
06-21-2013, 02:33 AM

In general, despite the disappointment of falling short in the Finals, I though this team can play with anybody if they remain healthy, which isn't a given with aging players (sup Lakerfan)...

It is kind've early but I have a feeling that the Thunder, Clippers, and Spurs will be the top 3 teams next year. I don't see any other teams on their level right now, Memphis screwed up getting rid of Hollins so they'll drop off a bit.

KaiRMD1
06-21-2013, 02:34 AM
Clippers will be a non factor again tbh

Chris16
06-21-2013, 02:37 AM
Clippers will be a non factor again tbh

They will still be a contender as long as CP3 stays which is likely, the problem was Del Negro. Give them a good playoff coach and they make the WCF at least.

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 02:38 AM
:lol who are the great teams in the NBA at the moment?..

There are no 3-peat Lakers, prime Spurs, Pau/Kobe Lakers, 2008 Celtics, etc, tbh..

Any of the top-tier teams can compete and maybe even get to a different level with a big off-season move..the Harden trade changed the landscape of the West..

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2013, 02:39 AM
They will still be a contender as long as CP3 stays which is likely, the problem was Del Negro. Give them a good playoff coach and they make the WCF at least.

unless they fix the hack a scrub rule

they really need to get rid of monkeyballers who cant shoot a ft

KaiRMD1

Perhaps, it worked for Chicago

Chris16
:lol who are the great teams in the NBA at the moment?..

There are no 3-peat Lakers, prime Spurs, Gasol Lakers, 2008 Celtics, etc, tbh..

Any of the top-tier teams can compete and maybe even get to a different level with a big off-season move..

The 2008 Celtics playoff run was almost exactly like the Heat's this year, probably a little worse because they went 7 games with a 37 win Hawks team. They were by no means invincible at all.

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 02:40 AM
:lol the Clippers need major moves to compete, and they need Griffin to become a legit #1 guy..doubtful, tbh..

OKC and the Spurs should be the early favorites, with Houston being a potential elite team if they acquire Howard..

irishock
06-21-2013, 02:41 AM
I still won't count out the Lakers, tbh. Everyone counted them out in the 2007 offseason as well.

KaiRMD1
06-21-2013, 02:41 AM

Better yet, probably best to see in January. Hell, they predicted a certain star laded team to make it to the finals and in the WCF for them to beat the Thunder but that was off.

JingleJangleJingle
06-21-2013, 02:43 AM
a healthy Thunder are probably the best team in the West right now which isn't say much...the Spurs can make another run to WCF and the Finals.

Chris16
06-21-2013, 02:44 AM
:lol the Clippers need major moves to compete, and they need Griffin to become a legit #1 guy..doubtful, tbh..

OKC and the Spurs should be the early favorites, with Houston being a potential elite team if they acquire Howard..

:rolleyes

Once again, the Clippers problem was not the players, it was the coach. What do you mean they need "major moves" to compete?

And if Dwight goes to Houston they will be a good team, maybe a 4th seed but would have to get past OKC, which I don't think they will be able to. OKC knows how to shut down Dwight.

Rogue
06-21-2013, 02:46 AM
OKC with Westchuck back healthy will be insurmountable to them spurs imho, not to say the Mavs will also come back strong next season. If Manu stays to play one more year then maybe WCF will be their ceiling

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2013, 02:56 AM
OKC with Westchuck back healthy will be insurmountable to them spurs imho, not to say the Mavs will also come back strong next season. If Manu stays to play one more year then maybe WCF will be their ceiling

martin is leaving

DeadlyDynasty
06-21-2013, 02:59 AM
Most likely not going to happen...sure, on paper they look good but another season of relative health coupled with an easy playoff path is likely not in the cards.

HarlemHeat37
06-21-2013, 03:05 AM
:lol in what world do the Clippers have the pieces to compete for an NBA title?..

Where does all this Clippers hype come from?..they have 2 All-Star players, one of them peaks in the 1st quarter and is limited as a player, the other is Chris Paul, a passive PG..

Who else is on their roster?..Jordan is a massive liability that plays average defense, can't shoot, can't make free throws, etc..Jamal Crawford is a great 6th man, sure..Barnes is a pretty good role player..Odom is a good 4th big man..they don't have a starting SG..Caron Butler is terrible and shouldn't be starting for a contending team..Chauncey Billups is absolutely useless..Bledsoe is a great bench piece, but a liability as a starter..

They have a nice team to win in the 1st round, maybe, but to contend, they need a major move, like the KG trade, tbh..even with a trade of that nature, I would still doubt their chances, tbh..

DeadlyDynasty
06-21-2013, 03:07 AM
:lolClippers still have had only one season (2006) where they went farther than Big Brother.

AchillesHeel
06-21-2013, 05:01 AM
Depends on what they do in the off-season. They could keep this team intact and sign a decent FA like Dwight,David West,Al Jefferson or multiple good players.

I think the Spurs could get back to the Finals if they make the right roster moves they could beat OKC in a series and Miami in the Finals. Either they bring in the ultimate defensive big in Dwight or they find some scorers they could count on every night. I think they should be pushing for another Finals run and forget that this ever happened, block LeFlop from threepeating next year and win the 5th.

99 Problems
06-21-2013, 05:25 AM
The east will be interesting next season if Rose back anywhere near his best.

TDMVPDPOY
06-21-2013, 05:26 AM
Depends on what they do in the off-season. They could keep this team intact and sign a decent FA like Dwight,David West,Al Jefferson or multiple good players.

I think the Spurs could get back to the Finals if they make the right roster moves they could beat OKC in a series and Miami in the Finals. Either they bring in the ultimate defensive big in Dwight or they find some scorers they could count on every night. I think they should be pushing for another Finals run and forget that this ever happened, block LeFlop from threepeating next year and win the 5th.

how about trading for kg and pp? we can absorb the contracts...

TE
06-21-2013, 05:29 AM
The east will be interesting next season if Rose back anywhere near his best.
tbh I hope to Allah that mfker comes back and helps chitown challenge Miami

Clipper Nation
06-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Tbh, he's been improving a lot every year even though the raw numbers don't show it (mostly due to him playing less minutes in the regular season), he's just largely been let down by an inept coach who couldn't develop players, was obsessed with guards to the detriment of the bigs, and wouldn't draw up plays for him in the second half of games.... it all comes down to coaching, and regardless of whether it's Doc or Shaw or Hollins, a real coach will get the best out of him, imho....

If Stern takes the stick out of his ass and lets the Clipps/Celts trade go through, I actually think the WCF would be a Spurs vs. Clippers rematch, tbh.... I just don't see the Spurs fading away that easily, they'll be right back in the mix next year.... I also think RefKC will be the disappointment of the year next season....

AchillesHeel
06-21-2013, 06:51 AM
how about trading for kg and pp? we can absorb the contracts...

What trade assets do we got that Boston would be interested in? Perhaps Green and Splitter, but I doubt Boston would do that.

I wouldn't mind the two, but I'd like an all-star caliber player in his prime to keep the Spurs alive in the future with Kawhi. I don't think we need PP. I really do think we should push for Dwight Howard this off-season, we're a Finals team that was one free throw away from a championship, I think Dwight would be the guy. But why would he come to SA?

Monta Ellis might fit our system, but he has Kobe's mentality without the proper skillset and size. I'm really not sure who we should go for, right now I'll stick with going for D12, I hope they at least make a push, if we don't sign Manu we'll have like only 40 mil in contracts, that should be enough to sign a max FA. Though it's HIGHLY unlikely.

The Reckoning
06-21-2013, 07:54 AM
spurs will adjust and get back into the WCF.

cp3 will never win a chip unless he goes to miami. gs wont be the same team. memphis was exploited these playoffs. denver will be good.

i can see the spurs getting back into the finals if the roster is adjusted to run through kawhi and duncan with parker facilitating. it can happen.

LkrFan
06-21-2013, 08:14 AM
Tbh, he's been improving a lot every year even though the raw numbers don't show it (mostly due to him playing less minutes in the regular season), he's just largely been let down by an inept coach who couldn't develop players, was obsessed with guards to the detriment of the bigs, and wouldn't draw up plays for him in the second half of games.... it all comes down to coaching, and regardless of whether it's Doc or Shaw or Hollins, a real coach will get the best out of him, imho....

If Stern takes the stick out of his ass and lets the Clipps/Celts trade go through, I actually think the WCF would be a Spurs vs. Clippers rematch, tbh.... I just don't see the Spurs fading away that easily, they'll be right back in the mix next year.... I also think RefKC will be the disappointment of the year next season....:lol @ the thought of the Clippers being in the WCFs. 2nd round is your ceiling son (& that's being generous tbh). Neal with it.

Juggity
06-21-2013, 08:59 AM
Most likely not going to happen...sure, on paper they look good but another season of relative health coupled with an easy playoff path is likely not in the cards.

The only easy team the Spurs faced in these playoffs was the Lakers. GS and Memphis both took major strategizing from Pop to win — these are teams that had been rolling, and just finished feasting on their first and second round opponents, respectively. The Heat demanded the same sort of strategizing too.

Calispursfan11
06-21-2013, 09:15 AM
Spurs can again make it to the West finals and potentially the finals if all remain healthy like this year because Leonard and Green showed they can ball. Even though Green disappeared in the last two games, what he did was amazing and he is likely to carry the success over to next season coupled with an increased desire and motivation to get back to the finals. I say the ceiling is very high although there are so many factors. Again, if the injury bug bites, it could be a second round out but assuming it doesn't, the Spurs are still a great team and will go far next year.