PDA

View Full Version : Slow clap for the Spurs

ManuManu
06-21-2013, 06:58 AM
This is my first post, although I've been a lurker since the early years of the Big Three. I just wanted to take the time out and say what an awesome ride it's been and what a privilege it's been to be a Spurs fan since David Robinson's rookie year. I was 10 then.

As soon as the Spurs finished off the Grizz, I didn't think any result in the Finals would bother me. After all, this run felt like found money. Like Tony said a couple of years ago, we weren't competing for championships anymore. I believed him.

Then Game Six happened.

I feel like the final 30 seconds changed my entire outlook at this Spurs' run. Up 4 with Ginobili going to the line, I allowed myself to think about what this championship would do to Tim Duncan's legacy. How his fifth ring would tie him with Kobe and how the old man had another epic closeout game. Then disaster struck. I was catatonic for most of Wednesday. Thursday I was simply pessimistic about the Spurs' chances. I didn't think a team could pick itself up from a loss like that. I was wrong. Again.

Obviously it didn't work out the way any of us wanted. Ginobili picked the wrong time to play two or three of the worst games of his career. Parker's hammy wouldn't allow him to properly destroy LeBron off the dribble. There's just no way a healthy Parker would have allowed LeBron to defend him for long stretches like that. Danny Green went ice cold and was exposed any time he dribbled. Gary Neal regressed into bad Gary Neal. This just wasn't the series for Tiago Splitter. The list could go on an on. But we got a chance to see Duncan again come up big on the biggest stage. He was great in the back-to-back losses. Kawhi Leonard grew up in front of our very own eyes. He's not pretty to watch, and sometimes he looks like a bull in a china shop with his sloppy handles on the break, but wow, we couldn't have expected much better from him in the NBA Finals as a 21-year-old.

Getting back to the title of the post, it's time to give the Spurs their due. After Game Six, I thought this Finals loss would sting for a long time. It still hurts, but I'm just happy as a 10-year-old I picked well. Four championships, five Finals appearances and an act of God or three kept the Spurs from winning possibly seven championships. I can't complain too much, and neither should you. We've got it pretty good.

Here's to the Spurs continuing to prove the NBA wrong and staying a championship contender a little bit longer and proving that playing beautiful, team basketball is better than hero basketball.

Clap ... Clap ... Clap ... Clap ...

mudyez
06-21-2013, 07:05 AM
:tu

Hopefully not your last post!

And plz cheer for that team as loud as you can when they come home!