PDA

View Full Version : Not as bad as I thought it would be..

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 10:51 AM
It still hurts. But it's not as bad as I thought it would be. Perhaps, the sting of game 6 made this pill easier to swallow. I also think that while I am disappointed, the pride I feel towards the team is overcoming all other emotions.

I feel awful for Tim, but he elevated his legacy even with this loss. Tony Parker played some of the most spectacular basketball I have ever seen all year. I am still extradorinadly disappointed in Manu and while I can't quite look at him the same way right now, I don't hate him. No one should. They all should be respected for not only what they have done in the past, but for this moment.

This was not the same as last year, at least from my perspective. This team showed fight and not only the ability to take a big punch, but bounce back more spectacularly than any team I can remember. Losing, especially when you feel you should have won, does not feel good, but you know you have a special group when it's not as bad as you thought it would be.

RD2191
06-21-2013, 10:54 AM
Agree with everything but its clear that Parker cannot lead the Spurs to a title. Too easy to shut down.

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Tony Parker is the third best player in Spurs franchise history.

Baam
06-21-2013, 10:58 AM
Same here I'm disappointed sure but life goes on. Losing never killed anyone and the fact that they went out swinging helps.

But unlike you it's Pop I can't trust anymore. Manu can't help himself, we know it, if he's in the game late, he gonna gamble for a steal and foul on D, and on O chances are he's gonna turn it over, I can't hate him for it, he's doing his best and dealing with the criticism of everyone, press and fans alike.

Meanwhile Pop the TOSB has only been called out by a handful of guys, has no one above him to call him out with his shit stinks unlike the players and has just been terrible overall imo.

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 11:03 AM
I disagree about Pop. No coach has more to deal with than Pop. He not only has to work on a budget, but he has to make guys who can't fit on other rosters play pivotal roles in big moments. He has to manage minutes all season unlike any other coach I can ever remember and even has to do so in the playoffs. While other coaches have stars that can play 43-47 MPG, Pop doesn't. Coaching becomes a lot easier when you have your best players on the court. He literally can't do that and still wins.

As much as everyone knows my stance on Manu (respect him, appreciate him, want him back, but deep down have a slight resentment for this year), I would have never gone away from him. He's been too good, too much of a winner to go away for the likes of Gary Neal or someone like that. He didn't deliver, in fact, he really played poor. But that's why it's on Manu and not Pop.

Spur|n|Austin
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
It's easier today - I couldn't sleep last night and then woke up with it being the first thing on my mind. I agree with you that Game 6 made it easier to swallow, but me just telling myself that it's just a game has also helped..

Here's to next year :toast

Baam
06-21-2013, 11:05 AM
I disagree about Pop. No coach has more to deal with than Pop. He not only has to work on a budget, but he has to make guys who can't fit on other rosters play pivotal roles in big moments. He has to manage minutes all season unlike any other coach I can ever remember and even has to do so in the playoffs. While other coaches have stars that can play 43-47 MPG, Pop doesn't. Coaching becomes a lot easier when you have your best players on the court. He literally can't do that and still wins.

As much as everyone knows my stance on Manu (respect him, appreciate him, want him back, but deep down have a slight resentment for this year), I would have never gone away from him. He's been too good, too much of a winner to go away for the likes of Gary Neal or someone like that. He didn't deliver, in fact, he really played poor. But that's why it's on Manu and not Pop.

Miami beat us with a big game from Battier who wasn't in their rotation anymore, I said before the game that we needed fresh blood like TMac with both teams being so tired... Spoelstra was smarter.

Baam
06-21-2013, 11:09 AM
Also we have seen the Neal Manu backcourt getting raped against the pressure defense of the likes of Bledsoe for years, Pop making Manu the main ballhandler against such a defense is just dumb.

Harry Callahan
06-21-2013, 11:11 AM
Miami beat us with a big game from Battier who wasn't in their rotation anymore, I said before the game that we needed fresh blood like TMac with both teams being so tired... Spoelstra was smarter.

Disagree. Spoelstra had the best player in the world on his team. They still had to be helped out by missed free throws and missed Def Rebounds.

The Spurs have had the best player in the world on their team in the past and it showed in the results. It makes up for a lot of things.

Budkin
06-21-2013, 11:14 AM
Game 6 was the one the ground me into pulp. I was so drugged during game 7 and kind of expected the loss that it just wasn't that painful. So sorry for Tim not getting that last one. The Heat being giving so many props to our guys made me not hate them. Seriously it was an awesome season that just had the worst ending possible. Won't ever forget that loss but I'm a Spurs fan for life.

Harry Callahan
06-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Agree with everything but its clear that Parker cannot lead the Spurs to a title. Too easy to shut down.

Parker led the Spurs to a title in the Finals in 2007 (against LeBron) - he was the best player on the floor.

Tony is easier to shut down on one leg. Another twist of fate.

skulls138
06-21-2013, 11:15 AM
Miami beat us with a big game from Battier who wasn't in their rotation anymore, I said before the game that we needed fresh blood like TMac with both teams being so tired... Spoelstra was smarter.Just because we lost doesn't mean you were right.

Baam
06-21-2013, 11:18 AM
Just because we lost doesn't mean you were right.

Sure. And Battier has played a lot in their system, still going with the fresh Birdman and Battier was smart and Pop took too many dumb decisions to list them in this series.

Interrohater
06-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Couldn't have said it better myself. The game 6 loss definitely hurt worse. The Heat were just the better team in game 7, but the Spurs were the better team in game 6, which is why it hurt so badly. It is what it is and "at the end of the day" it's only a game.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:25 AM

No Gervin was better.

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 11:26 AM
No Gervin was better.

Disagree, but I don't want to argue that right now.

rascal
06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
Disagree, but I don't want to argue that right now.

Did you even see Gervin play? I doubt it.

Dex
06-21-2013, 11:30 AM
I gave all my fucks after Game 6. I sat in a stunned stupor for easily an hour, and dropped more f-bombs during that period of time than I ever had before. It was worse than .4 and Manu's Foul combined. Easily the most devastating loss I've ever witnessed, and it will haunt my fandom for the rest of my days.

By the time Game 7 rolled around, I had no more fucks to give.

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 11:42 AM
Did you even see Gervin play? I doubt it.

Hi, Rascal.

phxspurfan
06-21-2013, 12:18 PM

lol

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
(Elliott? that Silas retired jersey?, not sure since I'm not 50 years old)
(maybe Parker)

DPG21920
06-21-2013, 01:10 PM
Well, we can agree to disagree on that one.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 01:11 PM
This morning I woke up and had no interest in watching ESPN or NBAtv and I won't for a while, till the draft etc.. I'm getting over it already, looking forward to seeing what the Spurs will do in the offseason, they don't make a lot of moves but they have a cap space and only 8 under contract.

spurs10
06-21-2013, 01:32 PM
Game 6 is all I will ever remember about any of this. That is the closest to winning a title anyone has ever been that lost. We had our chances in Game 7, but Game 6 was the loss that broke everyone's heart. Tim was fucking brilliant and we blew it. Thanks to all the folks at ST, timvp has been inspiring. I am very sorry for everyone that loves the team so much. It's a hard way to go.

timtonymanu
06-21-2013, 01:35 PM
Yeah, all my emotions went away after Game 7 ended. I was emotional between the Game 6 & 7 break.

Still had trouble sleeping though.

senorglory
06-21-2013, 01:43 PM
DPG = voice of reason. All the rest of you need to fall in line.

mingus
06-21-2013, 01:54 PM
The series came down to a handful turnovers, a few missed free throws, and a shot Duncan makes 99% of the time. Sucks, but that's the way it is sometimes. I'd rather lose the way we did than lose convincingly. I think the way we lost gives our guys hope next year that they can be back again with a few changes.

Agloco
06-21-2013, 01:59 PM

Woah.....

Agloco
06-21-2013, 02:04 PM

It's easy to forget that with 28 seconds left, that had pretty much been accomplished. Nothing Parker did during those 28 seconds caused the loss.

One less fluky bounce or one more made FT and it's mission accomplished. Again, Parker had no bearing on those plays either.

Obviously Parker can't do it alone, but he can be the facilitator and change his role as needed to take what the defense is giving him. He showed that during the Memphis series.

LongtimeSpursFan
06-21-2013, 02:20 PM
Same here I'm disappointed sure but life goes on. Losing never killed anyone and the fact that they went out swinging helps.

But unlike you it's Pop I can't trust anymore. Manu can't help himself, we know it, if he's in the game late, he gonna gamble for a steal and foul on D, and on O chances are he's gonna turn it over, I can't hate him for it, he's doing his best and dealing with the criticism of everyone, press and fans alike.

Meanwhile Pop the TOSB has only been called out by a handful of guys, has no one above him to call him out with his shit stinks unlike the players and has just been terrible overall imo.

So you're calling out Pop because he played Manu as pg and the coach in you believes playing TMac would have been better?

timvp
06-21-2013, 02:22 PM
It's pretty damn bad, tbh.

Arcadian
06-21-2013, 02:27 PM
I've been saying the same thing. I always thought losing a Game 7 in the Finals would be the worst feeling in the world - and maybe it would be, depending on how it happens - but the way we lost was so fucking weird, that it basically doesn't even feel like we lost.

Perhaps this is a sophisticated form of denial, but we really didn't lose that series. I mean, technically we did, but...not really. We fucking won game 6. In 49% of all parallel universes, we won.

And that's not even a far-fetched thing to say. Everyone knows it. Miami got fucking lucky.

So no, it doesn't feel that bad.

As far as I'm concerned, the Spurs have 5* championships. If we win another one, the asterisk gets erased.

davidbowie
06-21-2013, 02:28 PM
for me personally im going to take this opportunity and disappointment to change a few things in my own life. relying on the spurs to dictate my mood and attitude for so long is not the answer and has left me unsatisfied. i'm trying to be optimistic here, but yeah game six was the real heartbreaker. for me at least. now im just kinda numb and ready to move on.

therealtruth
06-21-2013, 06:37 PM

I agree Ginobili still has something to offer. But I believe you have to scale back his role.

therealtruth
06-21-2013, 06:40 PM

I pretty much knew this was going to happen. History repeats itself. Doc Rivers did the same thing in '10 with the Celtics. If you have the older team you've got to get more bench contribution. That along with Pop shortening the bench rotation hurt the Spurs. Also Pop's losing faith in Splitter and his slumping play didn't help. He's one of our best defenders. The Lebron strategy was more effective when we had 2 seven footers waiting for him in the paint.

barbacoataco
06-21-2013, 06:59 PM
Agree with op.

barbacoataco
06-21-2013, 07:18 PM
Winning it all always takes luck. The 2004 and 2006 teams were as good or better than the 99,03 and 05 teams. Sometimes it comes down to one bad pass, missed ft, or hero 3ptr.

Still the spurs have had things go their way 4 times in the Duncan era. It could have been 5-6, or also only 2-3.

Miami played great defense contesting shots and deflecting passes. They made Memphis look like nothing and the grizzlies were supposed to be a good defensive team.

Spurs played hard and never gave up.

Also, all the people saying Parker isn't a superstar bc he couldn't single-handedly win a ring--- how many players have actually done that? Steve Nash? Chris Paul? Dwight Howard? Carmelo Anthony? Are they superstars? Parker scored 37 in the close out game against Memphis and was playing af a high level. He was obviously hurt in the heat series and they were keying on him.
Spurs fan for life.

hooperflash
06-21-2013, 08:58 PM
It's easier today - I couldn't sleep last night and then woke up with it being the first thing on my mind. I agree with you that Game 6 made it easier to swallow, but me just telling myself that it's just a game has also helped..

Here's to next year :toast

I SLEPT ALL DAY, Woke up at 6 p.m. :lol

L.I.T
06-21-2013, 09:44 PM
Pop did exactly what you need to do, put your best players in position to succeed. He trusted his horses, and he gave the Big 3 one last chance to go out on their terms. As Spurs fans we can at least hang our hat on the fact TD/TP/Manu went down fighting. They weren't broken apart by a capricious front office.

Pop played the end of Game 6 correctly, there was a breakdown on court and Allen got lose. They were right there at the end of Game 7, a missed layup away from tying the game.

Spurs did what no other team has really been able to do since 2011, stand toe to toe with the Heat, take their best shots and refuse to go down.

apalisoc_9
06-21-2013, 09:49 PM
Agree for the most part. Mistakes happen. You can't expect these guys to be perfect.

I've been really critical of Manu and specially tony, but if there's one thing these two guys have learned is that they know how to adjust. Tony guns for FMVP in game 6 takes 23 shoots, game 7 takes 12..

They're more than willing to make changes to benefit the team. It's hard to find players like that tbh.

lowdown
06-22-2013, 01:48 AM
I read OP's take earlier today and I agree. Well written perspective. I think last year's disappointment and the way the series unfolded allows me to take a frustrated yet appreciative view on the team. I think all this negative and over analysation forgets that the Spurs really should of won the series and only self-destructed at the end of regulation in game 6. The anger at Tony Parker, Danny Green, or even Gary Neal makes no sense. Tony Parker put the Spurs in the position to win game 6. Gary Neal played like, well Gary Neal. And Danny Green's play was a direct result of Miami's strategy to force him off the 3-pt line. I am, however dissappointed in Manu & Pop. I still don't know why Pop had the ball in Manu's hands when he clearly was having a less than poor game. But that's what the series came down to. Miami was the better team - by this, I mean they could turn to Ray Allen or Mike Miller or Shane Battier or Birdman. When the Spurs would struggle, it was only Kwahi & TD playing consistently. Oh, and Splitter played like Splitter - a smart pick-N-roll big man who turns into a Puss the minute a defender is near. I want him back 'cause he is a solid 7 footer but he's not the guy to provide any toughness down low. Remember, all this stupid stuff about playing Mcgrady, or questioning the waiving of Stephen Jackson completely loses sight of the FACT that they had a 5 pt lead with 28 seconds left. 28 fuckin' seconds and they had the ring.

kobyz
06-22-2013, 02:09 AM
to me what you mention here only make the feeiling harder and much more bad, you right in what you wrote about the team but it's raise the sense of missed opportunity...

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2013, 03:26 AM
To the OP, you're still in a stage of shock. The Spurs played their asses off in Game 7 and showed a lot of heart--which is your lasting impression--as of now. When you've had time to fully digest it you will return to the final :28 of Game 6 and get nauseous.

It's like finding out you have cancer, beating it, then hearing from the doctor you now have AIDS.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 03:36 AM
To the OP, you're still in a stage of shock. The Spurs played their asses off in Game 7 and showed a lot of heart--which is your lasting impression--as of now. When you've had time to fully digest it you will return to the final :28 of Game 6 and get nauseous.

It's like finding out you have cancer, beating it, then hearing from the doctor you now have AIDS.

:lol

Speaking from personal experience here I take it?

I grew up during the 90's, as you know, and a few of my classmates were Bills fans. They console themselves with the fact the Bills made 4 straight Superbowls and were proud of the team's resiliency. Then you think about Scott Norwood and it all comes crashing down again.

Then the Music City Miracle happened, which I'm sure opened up some old wounds.

Damn. You or Cubs fans. Who is more tortured?

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2013, 03:41 AM
Definitely Cubs fans. The only "good" memories that living Cubs fans have are of 1984 and 2003--both tragic playoff exits

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 03:48 AM
Definitely Cubs fans. The only "good" memories that living Cubs fans have are of 1984 and 2003--both tragic playoff exits

I bet you let Cubs fans have it with both barrels knowing you :lol

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2013, 03:56 AM
If Cubs fans knew any better they'd have burned Alex Gonzalez at the stake, instead of going after Bartman. Gonzo booted the most routine inning-ending double play ball in history.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 04:08 AM
If Cubs fans knew any better they'd have burned Alex Gonzalez at the stake, instead of going after Bartman. Gonzo booted the most routine inning-ending double play ball in history.

Yep. Not to mention Prior throwing grapefruits.

baseline bum
06-22-2013, 04:09 AM

So who is he better than? DRob or Ice?

baseline bum
06-22-2013, 04:12 AM
lol

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
(maybe Parker)

Nah, Parker is way better than Elliott. Just not even close.

DPG21920
06-22-2013, 09:18 AM
So who is he better than? DRob or Ice?

Duncan
DRob
TP

Southwest Texas Fan
06-22-2013, 10:04 AM

Battier was a player who knew the system and T-Mac didn't, that's a big difference. Pop has built a system that has brought us four championships and as rigid as that system may be it works more often than not. My only gripe is that Pop deviated from Diaw. I still can't figure that one out.

mudyez
06-22-2013, 10:05 AM

I want to hug you! It's really bad for most here, but I feel the same way about you as we all feel about Timmy.

BillMc
06-22-2013, 10:20 AM

Yes, it is.

Vic Petro
06-22-2013, 11:26 AM
From: 5/5 in NBA Finals, Duncan 4 Finals MVPs and lock on top 5 player ever, further legitimizing the "Spurs Way" by beating prima donna Lebron in his own house, tarnishing prima donna Lebron as a guy who shrinks in big moments, proving that the "get rich quick" method Miami used is a falsehood, further cementing the Spurs as the 3rd best NBA franchise of all time and best ABA franchise ever, putting Pop next to Auerbach and Phil Jax, solidifying TP as the best international player ever, etc etc

To: This. The unflappable Coach Spo and the genius Pat Riley and Lebron "finding a way to win as winners do" and Wade being a warrior and Pop being questioned and Tim missing the Ewing layup and should Ginobili be re-signed and can TP really be first banana on a title team etc etc

These are the differences in the narratives. So yeah, I'm still pretty sick about it and will be until next season's roster takes form and I can get excited again about the prospects of another run. For now though, sports suck and I need to step away from it all. This is the first thread I've read since game 7 ended.

jag
06-22-2013, 12:19 PM
Well said.

The Spurs have been playing with house money for a few years now. It seems cliche and somewhat of a cop-out to say they shouldn't even be here at this stage, but it's true. And even still, they should have won the title. The last part hurts, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. Can't help but be proud of how hard they fought.

therealtruth
06-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Well said.

The Spurs have been playing with house money for a few years now. It seems cliche and somewhat of a cop-out to say they shouldn't even be here at this stage, but it's true. And even still, they should have won the title. The last part hurts, but it doesn't change the reality of the situation. Can't help but be proud of how hard they fought.

I don't think it's playing with house money when the Spurs had one of the NBA's best defenses with their starting 5. It's Pop who abandoned that defense when Spoelstra started Mike Miller. What the heck is the purpose of focusing on defense all season when you're going to abandon it when you need it the most? Don't forget a big part of defense is securing the rebound. Where was that at the end of game 6? Pop always likes to say that it doesn't make sense to change how you play in the playoffs but he goes ahead and does that.

MannyIsGod
06-22-2013, 04:52 PM

MannyIsGod
06-22-2013, 04:54 PM
lol

Robinson
Duncan
Gervin
(maybe Parker)

I go with Gervin but Sean ******? LOL no. Silas? LOL no.

Duncan
Robinson
Gervin
Parker
Manu

SuperDave
06-22-2013, 06:33 PM
It hurts like heck but you're not a true fan if you aren't proud of the fight and heart the Spurs showed this year.