PDA

View Full Version : Mentality After A Tough Loss

SpurSwag
06-21-2013, 12:06 PM
I don't normally make a lot of threads, I usually like to make them after a loss to get some things off my mind. Anyways, here's how I feel after one hell of a season and an incredible post season run:

- Though I'm really disappointed right now, I can't help but feel damn proud of this team. We took Miami, the team that went on a 27 game win streak and has been discussed as one of the best teams ever maybe, to the very end of a decisive game 7 in their building. In fact, we just about won the series in Game 6 before everything went wrong.

- Our defense on Lebron and Wade was great. They just both showed up, especially Lebron. I may get heat for this, but I'm actually a very big Lebron James fan (though I was hoping he'd have a choke job for the ages :lol) and feel he shut up every hater he has ever had with that performance. Wow. The guy flat out showed up and killed us with what is supposed to be his main weakness. All in all, when those shots are falling for him and wade we are going to lose.

- I can't imagine how Tim's feeling. Seeing that layup not fall and the tip not going down either perfectly represents just how close we were to winning this thing, it just didn't happen. You could see when he hit the floor on the defensive end and in his post game comments that that layup is going to stick with him for a long time. But I could never be mad at Timmy, in the two biggest games of the year he averaged a combined 27 ppg. That's stepping it up and that's what a leader should do. Thank you Timmy, I can never say it enough, but you have earned a pass for life from all Spurs fans. You are the quintessential franchise player and there will never be another like you.

- Just as I can't be mad at Tim, I can't be mad at any of the other Spurs. Tony was clearly gassed and the hamstring had to have been a major part of it. He just flat out didn't have the burst he usually has. Manu did step it up efficiency wise, although he definitely made some poor turnovers at the end. The guy is getting so much hate, but all in all you can't pin the series on him or any one player. Danny Green doesn't deserve what he's getting now either, at this stage in his career he is a spot up shooter. The Heat stopped giving him any day light, so it isn't hard to imagine he'd struggle. And struggle he did. Tiago, though he didn't really show up in this series, is still a valuable player on our team that should be retained for the right price. He definitely should not be overpaid though.

- Though right now I can't look at this season without feeling disappointed, I know the guys did something great and this has been by far my favorite spurs team to follow. I'm really proud of these guys, and I'm more confident in them going into next season than I have been in the past 3 or 4 years. Kawhi's potential is limitless clearly, and hopefully him and Green continue to work on their in between games and becoming creators themselves. I really hope we retain all of our free agents and give this thing another run, because I see no reason why we can't be in the exact same position 12 months from now. Timmy will be Timmy barring any injuries because quite frankly, I don't think he will ever be hungrier than he will be next year. Age won't be more of a factor next year than this year (I'll never understand why people think players can decline from one year to the next just because their age goes up 1 year, once again barring injuries). Tony will be healthy and at the same level he was for the past 2 years. If Manu's back, I expect a major bounce back year because I'm still not totally convinced he was 100% (or even 90%). With the money we have, hopefully we make a run for a couple pieces that could help, such as another distributor and mobile big. It really sucks thinking about the future considering we were 28 seconds away from a championship in game 6 and were a Tim Duncan 3 foot layup away from maybe a ring in game 7, but honestly shit happens. The spurs will do whatever they can to get better, and as fans all we can do is sit back, enjoy the show, and Believe

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 12:20 PM
This wouldn't be NEARLY as devastating if not for the way Game 6 ended. Up 5 points with 28 seconds left... the trophy is literally in your hands... and you find a way to lose with missed FT's and giving up offensive rebounds that eventually cost you the game.

SpurSwag
06-21-2013, 02:45 PM
This wouldn't be NEARLY as devastating if not for the way Game 6 ended. Up 5 points with 28 seconds left... the trophy is literally in your hands... and you find a way to lose with missed FT's and giving up offensive rebounds that eventually cost you the game.

I'm well aware, that's the main thing that's eating at me now. We were one bad shot from Ray Allen from being NBA champions...