PDA

View Full Version : Sonics: Sonics lose James; Dismayed Daniels may be next

ducks
07-15-2005, 10:05 PM
Sonics: Sonics lose James; Dismayed Daniels may be next
The Seattle Times
July 15, 2005

The dismantling of the Sonics began a week ago when Nate McMillan declined an offer to return as coach and accepted a more lucrative contract in Portland.

Two days ago, center Jerome James became the first Sonic to agree to a contract with another team, signing a five-year, $29 million deal with New York.

ADVERTISEMENT
And in the next few days, guard Antonio Daniels will likely join him.

"I don't know what to call it, a breakup, a divorce or what, but it's sad," Daniels said yesterday during a telephone interview. "Jerome had to do what was best for himself and his family. I'm in the same position, but I bet you that if you'd ask everybody would they like to come back, 90 percent of them would have said they would, just to keep it going.

"But that's professional sports. Nothing lasts forever. You have one good year and in many cases, you're lucky if you can keep that group together so you can do it again."

Daniels and his agent, Tony Dutt, dined with representatives of the Portland Trail Blazers, including McMillan, in Las Vegas yesterday. Daniels also spoke with the Los Angeles Lakers and Washington, and front-office personnel from Utah are flying to his San Antonio home to speak with him this weekend.

And the Sonics?

"I can't concern myself with things I can't control," Daniels said. "I can't control what they do. We'll talk with the teams that have shown serious interest in me.

"Seattle continues to say something to the effect like when and if you get a serious offer, then come back to us and tell us what it is. Well, that makes me feel very unappreciated. ... You never want to close any door, but I'm not the one closing the door."

Daniels opted into free agency and voided the last year of a three-year contract that would have paid him $2.2 million next season after averaging 11.2 points and 4.1 assists last season. He's considered by many as the top point guard on the free-agent market.
Dutt has indicated that two teams have offered Daniels the full mid-level exception and at least one team has offered a five-year deal. It's believed that Daniels is seeking a contract similar to James' deal.

With Portland and Utah, Daniels would be asked to mentor young point guards Sebastian Telfair and Deron Williams, which is a similar role he held in Seattle with Luke Ridnour. Washington might start Daniels alongside Gilbert Arenas and Jarvis Hayes in a three-guard lineup.

"It would be nice to start, but that's not the most important thing to me," Daniels said. "I need to be in a situation where I feel comfortable. Where I feel like they believe in me as a player and believe in my skills as a person. Somewhere my wife is comfortable. I thought that place was Seattle, but I'm finding out more and more that maybe it's not."

>James, a 30-year-old, five-year veteran, received interest from a handful of teams, but chose the Knicks, who traded Kurt Thomas and selected Channing Frye in last month's draft. The Sonics were never seriously in contention because they were intent on returning James with an offer similar to the three-year, $15 million deal that expired July 1.

>Seattle hopes to retain center Vitaly Potapenko, who entered last season as the starter but lost the job after breaking a bone in his hand during training camp. James stepped in and averaged 4.9 points and 3.0 rebounds.

>He earned league-wide attention during the Sonics' first-round playoff series win against Sacramento, averaging 17.2 points and 9.4 rebounds.

>Potapenko, who has played three seasons for Seattle, started 65 games during the 2003-04 season and averaged 7.1 points and 4.4 rebounds.

>The Sonics have drafted 7-foot teenage centers the past two drafts, selecting Robert Swift last year and Johan Petro in June.

>

>Demopoulos follows McMillan

>

>For the first time in a while, Dean Demopoulos had choices: Minnesota or Portland.

>Initially he chose the Timberwolves, where he was offered the lead assistant position by his friend and mentor Dwane Casey, whom he worked with for the past four seasons in Seattle.

>After flying to Minnesota and surveying the situation, Demopoulos declined the offer and accepted a spot on McMillan's staff with the Blazers. He cited family concerns, noting that he'll make his third move in five years and is considering keeping his family in Seattle while he works in Portland.

>"It was a terrible process," he said yesterday. "A painful process. Most times having choices is a positive, but the principals are good friends and people that I have worked for. I can't look back now, but it was a very hard decision."

>The Sonics never seriously entered into the equation. Demopoulos met with general manager Rick Sund and made a pitch for the vacant coaching position, but was told he didn't have enough experience for the position.

>"We spoke, but I wouldn't call it an interview," Demopoulos said. "He's right, my background and experience probably don't warrant consideration at this point, but I firmly believe there's no one that could [have] coached this team better than I could at this point.

>"I don't have the name around there like [assistant coach] Jack [Sikma], so they couldn't make a commitment to me as an assistant, not knowing who the coach was going to be."

>Note

>• The Sonics released guards Mustafa Al-Sayyad and Adam Harrington, forwards Ousmane Cisse and Rick Rickert and center Richard Fox from their summer team yesterday. Seattle begins play in the Rocky Mountain Revue today against Charlotte.

>Who's staying, who's going

>Free agents can't sign contracts until next Friday, but the Sonics have agreed to a deal with guard Ray Allen, and know they'll lose center Jerome James to the New York Knicks. The Sonics have nine free agents, including five unrestricted. The four restricted free agents have each been tendered contract offers by the Sonics, which means the team has the right to match any other offer they receive:

>Ray Allen

>Guard

>Agreed to 5-year, $80 million deal

>Jerome James

>Center

>Agreed to 5-year, $29 million deal with Knicks

>Antonio Daniels

>Guard

>Has visited Portland, Washington, Lakers, probably gone

>Vitaly Potapenko

>Center

>Sonics will try to re-sign him

>Mateen Cleaves

>Guard

>With summer-league team now, likely camp invitee

>Vladimir Radmanovic

>Forward

>Extended tender; Sonics can match any offer

>Reggie Evans

>Forward

>Ronald Murray

>Guard

>Damien Wilkins

>Forward

>Percy Allen: 206-464-2278 or [email protected]

exstatic
07-15-2005, 10:16 PM
Eight FAs is a lot. You're just not going to keep all of them in this market. That being said, NY paid WAY too much for JJ. It's one thing to play for a contract in your contract year. JJ did it one better, not showing up until the playoffs.

usckk
07-15-2005, 10:17 PM
Haha, yeah. Isiah kills me.