PDA

View Full Version : Which Spurs players are not coming back next year?

carib
06-21-2013, 03:48 PM
Manu ?

LakerHater
06-21-2013, 03:50 PM

DeadlyDynasty
06-21-2013, 03:51 PM
Manu isn't going anywhere (unless he retires). His market price dropped significantly in the Finals and it makes no sense for him to leave SA at this point in his career

carib
06-21-2013, 03:55 PM
On the other hand how much to pay Tiago Splitter.

Ditty
06-21-2013, 03:58 PM
McGrady and Blair-0% return

Neal,Splitter & Bonner-50% return

Manu, Diaw & Mills-75% return

chazley
06-21-2013, 03:58 PM
Manu isn't going anywhere (unless he retires). His market price dropped significantly in the Finals and it makes no sense for him to leave SA at this point in his career

I disagree. If he stays in San Antonio, he will be willingly taking a pay cut. There is a serious shortage of good 2-guards in the NBA right now, and a team will definitely overpay him.

SpursDynasty21
06-21-2013, 03:59 PM
Keeping Splitter would be a mistake.

BatManu20
06-21-2013, 04:01 PM
Spurs need some more talent on their roster, period. Time to let guys like Blair, Neal, and Bonner go. They'll re-sign Splitter unfortunately. Hopefully it's for cheap. Manu will likely be back for one more year. Diaw should def be brought back.

HI-FI
06-21-2013, 04:05 PM
if we can get Manu for real cheap than I'm fine with it. He's basically done imo. Maybe if he actually lets his body recover this offseason he can surprise some of us, but he hasn't yet. I just hope Pop learned a lesson on overplaying him, but I highly doubt that.

SpurSwag
06-21-2013, 04:17 PM
I want them all back for nostalgia purposes and because I think this year's team was too damn perfect and fun, but in terms of actual need the only ones I'd let go are Blair and McGrady. The rest are valuable role players, as we saw in game 3 with Neal, many times throughout the season with Bonner and especially Tiago, and Patty is a great chemistry guy who can fill in when needed.

RD2191
06-21-2013, 04:34 PM
Spurs should go after al jefferson. Splitter is grossly overrated on defense and is pathetic on offense. Any decent center looks like a defensive powerhouse playing next to tim duncan.

coyotes_geek
06-21-2013, 04:36 PM
Definitely not back: Tmac, Blair
Probably not back: Mills, Neal
Probably back: Diaw, Bonner
Definitely back: Manu, Splitter

Dverde
06-21-2013, 04:43 PM
Blair, Mills definitely are gone. I think someone will overpay Gary Neal and the Spurs won't match. Splitter will probably be back unless someone throws insane money like 9 or 10mil a year at him. Manu will be back. Diaw will be back.

Sean Cagney
06-21-2013, 05:50 PM
Keeping Splitter would be a mistake.

Who will we replace him with though? I agree he is not that good but man who is out there that would come over?

tesseractive
06-21-2013, 05:58 PM
Who will we replace him with though? I agree he is not that good but man who is out there that would come over?
This.

Splitter is definitely better than giving minutes to Bonner or Blair, there's no way Dwight Howard is coming here even if we wanted to deal with his issues, and the other pickings on the free agent market are pretty grim. But hey, maybe we'll find a starting caliber center with the 28th pick in a weak draft, right?

We've had lots of other players that have continued to improve, hopefully Splitter can too -- whether it be strength and post moves, or developing a passable jumper that's good for even a few feet, there are a lot of things that he could do that would help us.

superjames1992
06-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Danny Green is going to get traded to the Heat, tbh. :lol

Knoxxx
06-21-2013, 06:21 PM
Spurs should go after al jefferson. Splitter is grossly overrated on defense and is pathetic on offense. Any decent center looks like a defensive powerhouse playing next to tim duncan.

I agree that we need to let Splitter walk. We have the $ and need to get the best available big man to pair with Duncan. We need to make a SERIOUS run at Dwight Howard. We desperately need a big that can defend the rim and finish better than Splitter while allowing Tim to play under 35 minutes in the playoffs. Howard has the athletic ability to play against Heat's elite small ball lineups too. He just needs the right situation including better coaching and less pressure. It would be a great way to say FU to Kobe too!

Someone with more expertise please weigh in on whether the Spurs have enough dollars to throw a max contract at Howard. Leonard/Howard/Parker would be a great big 3 to reload around when Duncan retires also.

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Splitter should not return, he's not going to learn Post moves over the summer or get stronger and tougher.. or learn to rebound. Let him walk or low ball him 4 year deal at 8 mil, 2 mil a year, that's what his playing is worth.. manu should take a huge paycut, 1.5 a year for 2 years.

Kidd K
06-21-2013, 06:26 PM
Looking at the Spurs' salary sheet now, the following guys' contracts are up, are restricted free agents, or have deals which next season is a player option:

Ginobili (unresricted)
Splitter (restricted)**
Diaw (player option)
Mills (player option)**
Blair (unrestricted)*
Neal (restricted)**
McGrady (unrestricted)*

* Guys I think will be gone for sure
** Guys who will probably be gone imo

I think Diaw will be back unless he wants to test the market for more money as a "LeBron stopper". Even though that's probably an undeserved title, his agent can probably market his quality play against LeBron to get himself some more money.

The Spurs aren't cold enough to not bring back Ginobili. Unless he retires, he'll be back.

Knoxxx
06-21-2013, 06:31 PM
Shamsports has us with only $35.8 million in committed salary for next season. Unless I am missing something, we have the dollars for a max contract offer to Dwight Howard and should be wooing him ASAP. Dwight wants a ring, this is his best shot, and we have the money. Spare me the bit on he's got a bad attitude and all that, winning and playing with a great coach and teammates would change that in a hurry.

SA210
06-21-2013, 06:32 PM
If Matty Bon Bon leaves, put Blake and Cummdumpster on suicide watch tbh

http://epicdemotivational.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/demotivational-posters-suicide-bombers.jpghttp://improveverywhere-com.zippykid.netdna-cdn.com/images/sui02.jpg

DJR210
06-21-2013, 06:34 PM
I heard someone say per the Express News that RC is planning on re-signing Manu, but havent seen that for myself.

DJR210
06-21-2013, 06:36 PM

What ever happened to Erazam Lorbek?

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2013, 07:07 PM
:lmao at dreams of Dwight Howard.

Sean Cagney
06-21-2013, 07:39 PM
What ever happened to Erazam Lorbek?

I have no idea!

CosmicCowboy
06-21-2013, 07:42 PM
He just blew his knee.

DJR210
06-21-2013, 07:48 PM
He just blew his knee.

That was Davis Bertans, not Lorbek. IIRC Lorbek signed a multi year deal with his Euro team. Not sure if he would be worth a buyout, but the Spurs will have the cash to do so if they wish.

ElNono
06-21-2013, 07:54 PM
wouldn't surprise me to see Bonner move to the front office, as objective suggested a while back...

tesseractive
06-21-2013, 07:59 PM
wouldn't surprise me to see Bonner move to the front office, as objective (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=4663) suggested a while back...
He's got one more year, I could definitely see him playing out his contract as a (hopefully) 5th big man unless we need the cap space.

timmy2003
06-21-2013, 08:29 PM
McGrady and Blair-0% return

Neal,Splitter & Bonner-50% return

Manu, Diaw & Mills-75% return
Mills 75%?

elmanutres
06-21-2013, 08:31 PM
:lmao at dreams of Dwight Howard.
reports say we are a target for his list of destinations, but i doubt he will come here. plus he's not exactly a spur type player (Cancer)

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-21-2013, 08:56 PM
We know McGrady will leave on his own or simply get booted off. Hopefully Bonner and Blair also get kicked off.

james evans
06-21-2013, 11:06 PM
On the other hand how much to pay Tiago Splitter.
$30,000 a year

Boomersgold
06-21-2013, 11:10 PM
They're probably going to trade Nando. There's no room for 4 point guards on a roster, if Neal was included as a pg. Splitter's definitely going to be kept. Manu's never going to leave the team unless he retires, which I hope he does.

Brunodf
06-21-2013, 11:16 PM
Hopefully Splitter/Bonner/Neal/Blair

TheGoldStandard
06-21-2013, 11:21 PM
There needs to be a "don't sign splitter" petition.. I don't hate the guy but I don't see anything that he's going to drastically improve on that will make him worth a price over 2 million a year. The guy is a bench big in the regular season at an average level but we can't move forward with that.

smaka
06-22-2013, 04:19 AM
That was Davis Bertans, not Lorbek. IIRC Lorbek signed a multi year deal with his Euro team. Not sure if he would be worth a buyout, but the Spurs will have the cash to do so if they wish.

He signed a multi year deal with Barcelona last year, becoming the player with the highest salary in Barcelona's history. He's had a pretty bad season, also some knee problems (he just had arthroscopy). Personally I wouldn't bring him over here. For me, he is too much of an "European-style player".

DJR210
06-22-2013, 09:53 AM
He signed a multi year deal with Barcelona last year, becoming the player with the highest salary in Barcelona's history. He's had a pretty bad season, also some knee problems (he just had arthroscopy). Personally I wouldn't bring him over here. For me, he is too much of an "European-style player". By "European-style player" do you mean "No Balls", because if that's the case we already have that..

EVAY
06-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Definitely not back: Tmac, Blair
Probably not back: Mills, Neal
Probably back: Diaw, Bonner
Definitely back: Manu, Splitter

Agreed.

smaka
06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
By "European-style player" do you mean "No Balls", because if that's the case we already have that..

No athleticism was my initial thought here, I can't really imagine him playing against athletic PFs like Griffin and others..

EDIT: Oh, and he will be out for at least 2 months because of arthroscopy... Usually athletes are back to full strength in a month after a surgery. Puss, huh?

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:04 AM
No athleticism was my initial thought here, I can't really imagine him playing against athletic PFs like Griffin and others..

I figured that, I was just fucking with you. Is there a SG or C prospect that may fit the Spurs needs in the Euro leagues that aren't locked up over multi year deals?

DMX7
06-22-2013, 10:06 AM
McGrady and Blair are gone. Manu should retire, but he'll probably come back.

smaka
06-22-2013, 10:10 AM
I figured that, I was just fucking with you. Is there a SG or C prospect that may fit the Spurs needs in the Euro leagues that aren't locked up over multi year deals?

Well Spurs have rights for Marcus Denmon, who is a SG, Adam Hanga (SF), but I haven't seen them play so I don't know much about them. Also for Davis Bertans (SF) but he blew up his knee just a week ago, so he is out for 6 months at least.

As I posted in another thread, Deon Thompson, who played in Euroleague last couple of years, will be on Spurs camp or something like that, but he is not C, more of an undersized PF.

dbestpro
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
It is very unlikely that Bonner will be with the Spurs next year. His trade value is so much better than his contract and performance value. I think the Spurs can get away with moving on from Splitter and going after a big name PF. I think Baynes will adequately be able to replace Splitter's production if not more on a per minute basis.

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:17 AM
Well Spurs have rights for Marcus Denmon, who is a SG, Adam Hanga (SF), but I haven't seen them play so I don't know much about them. Also for Davis Bertans (SF) but he blew up his knee just a week ago, so he is out for 6 months at least.

As I posted in another thread, Deon Thompson, who played in Euroleague last couple of years, will be on Spurs camp or something like that, but he is not C, more of an undersized PF.

Marcus Denmon is another undersized 2 guard, and is basically the same pick as Jack McClintock. The Spurs need some height there IMO. I have been following Adam Hanga, I was hoping they invite him to the Summer League this year.. he has some height but needs to add some bulk for sure.

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
It is very unlikely that Bonner will be with the Spurs next year. His trade value is so much better than his contract and performance value. I think the Spurs can get away with moving on from Splitter and going after a big name PF. I think Baynes will adequately be able to replace Splitter's production if not more on a per minute basis.

Hopefully the kid is hungry and stays in the gym all summer w/ the coaches.

smaka
06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
Marcus Denmon is another undersized 2 guard, and is basically the same pick as Jack McClintock. The Spurs need some height there IMO. I have been following Adam Hanga, I was hoping they invite him to the Summer League this year.. he has some height but needs to add some bulk for sure.

Yeah, I'm not sold on Denmon either. He was also injured this year so...

About Hanga - yes, give him a shot, but maybe it would be better to give a chance to somebody who is 3, 4 years younger, who can improve much more than a 24-year old player.

dbestpro
06-22-2013, 10:21 AM
We need a SG that can shoot and attack the basket. Danny Green was a nice trick while it lasted, but Miami really exposed his one dimensional play. Ferry likes Green alot, so I could see him going there.

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:22 AM
Yeah, I'm not sold on Denmon either. He was also injured this year so...

About Hanga - yes, give him a shot, but maybe it would be better to give a chance to somebody who is 3, 4 years younger, who can improve much more than a 24-year old player.

You know Pop loves bringing over a guy around 25-26. Hell, he brought over Oberto's 30 something year old ass..

dbestpro
06-22-2013, 10:23 AM
Hopefully the kid is hungry and stays in the gym all summer w/ the coaches.

There are many who have said he may already be the strongest player in the NBA.

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:24 AM
We need a SG that can shoot and attack the basket. Danny Green was a nice trick while it lasted, but Miami really exposed his one dimensional play. Ferry likes Green alot, so I could see him going there.

I am intrigued with the Green trade possibility, but do you really want to risk losing the possible best defensive SG/SF tandem in a couple of years? It's a double edged sword IMO.

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:24 AM
There are many who have said he may already be the strongest player in the NBA.

Link?

DJR210
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM
McGrady and Blair are gone. Manu should retire, but he'll probably come back.

I think RC went on record in the Express News yesterday saying he wanted to bring Manu back.

smaka
06-22-2013, 10:25 AM

Green will improve during summer. I wouldn't trade him, especially with the contract he has, we can't get anything really useful in return...

DMX7
06-22-2013, 10:36 AM
I think RC went on record in the Express News yesterday saying he wanted to bring Manu back.

I wouldn't mind him back with a greatly greatly reduced role. Leonard needs to be getting his shots and touches.

dbestpro
06-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Link?

Do your own google search. You will see the word strong and Baynes in almost all quotes.

BackHome
06-22-2013, 11:12 AM
Baynes is strong as an OX but Adam is not strong enough but he can ball and should be in our summer camp.

3 Legged Dog
06-23-2013, 04:45 PM
I am intrigued with the Green trade possibility, but do you really want to risk losing the possible best defensive SG/SF tandem in a couple of years? It's a double edged sword IMO.

3 Legged Dog
06-23-2013, 04:45 PM

The other side of the coin is that neither Kawhi nor Danny really has a good handle (ball handling/penetration) on the ball. It's really tough when your center is a weak, heartless, worthless turd and your 2 and 3 cannot be trusted to dribble penetrate on any kind of a regular basis. I honestly don't know how we even made it to the finals.

in any event, yes we need to upgrade at the 2 spot. If that means Green goes to the bench.... Or even gets traded.... thenso be it.

3 Legged Dog
06-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Green will improve during summer. I wouldn't trade him, especially with the contract he has, we can't get anything really useful in return...

Really? He's going to improve this Summer? What, suddenly he's going to miraculously learn to dribble better than an 8th grader?

If George Hill was tradable, then Danny Green is tradable. Move him and the 28th to move way p in the draft

TXstbobcat
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
I think that Blair, Bonner, and Neal will be gone.

BackHome
06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Really? He's going to improve this Summer? What, suddenly he's going to miraculously learn to dribble better than an 8th grader?

If George Hill was tradable, then Danny Green is tradable. Move him and the 28th to move way p in the draft

Look at last year when Green sucked we all wanted him to work on his handles to me that is what is keeping him from being a good player and I said that last year. But I saw ZERO improvement from last year to this year which makes me think what we have is what we have not going to change.

Agloco
06-23-2013, 10:46 PM
Lots of suggestions that we ditch Splitter, but no mentions of viable replacements.

And no, Al Jefferson and DHo aren't viable replacements.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Lots of suggestions that we ditch Splitter, but no mentions of viable replacements.

And no, Al Jefferson and DHo aren't viable replacements.

I can see Howard not being viable but why not Jefferson? The guy wants to be on a winner.

Agloco
06-23-2013, 11:11 PM
I can see Howard not being viable but why not Jefferson? The guy wants to be on a winner.

In a word: Cost. The Spurs aren't going to pony up what it would take to get him here.

Just for the record, I'm on board with looking in a different direction from Splitter. I just can't come up with a good suggestion though.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 11:12 PM
In a word: Cost. The Spurs aren't going to pony up what it would take to get him here.

We've overpaid for a player before and in this instance I don't think we'd overpay so much as what the market dictates. What he'd offer him is probably what the spurs would give tiago.

Agloco
06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
We've overpaid for a player before and in this instance I don't think we'd overpay so much as what the market dictates. What he'd offer him is probably what the spurs would give tiago.

Which is why he'll never be in Silver and Black. Jefferson will command more than Splitter, and rightfully so.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 11:18 PM
Which is why he'll never be in Silver and Black. Jefferson will command more than Splitter, and rightfully so.

He made 15 Mil and there are not a lot of teams who are willing to cough up that kind of cash for him given the new CBA. He'll take less and want to be on a winner. He's tired of losing. His offense makes up for his lack of defense since he'd be in a diminished role and he'll actually get some longevity here.. There is more pros for him coming here than anywhere else really. He'd take a 9 or 10 Milly contract and we could always restructure after the next season or 2.

AusEM
06-23-2013, 11:22 PM
Remember that the season is 81 games long, and Tim is going to be 38...
Tiago's main value was helping Tim carry the load during the regular season so we could have a healthy Duncan in the playoffs.
How much would you pay for that?
I am looking forward to seeing Baynes in there, but how long is it going to take him to learn the rotations?

timtonymanu
06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
Obvious choices are Blair and T-Mac.

Bonner and Neal are also likely not to return, but I get the feeling they will be back.

I'm expecting Mills to opt in, otherwise the Spurs probably wouldn't bring him back.

The Spurs will likely want to retain Ginobili, Splitter, and Diaw so I expect them to return.

smaka
06-24-2013, 05:26 AM
Really? He's going to improve this Summer?

Yes.

dunkman
06-24-2013, 07:20 AM
Nando will be traded, some team will overpay Neal and the Spurs won't match, Blair replacement is Baynes so hes gone too.

Mills will pick his option and be the third PG, Diaw will pick his option and if the Spurs don't sign Dwight, Manu and Splitter will be back too.

superbigtime
06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
I just hope Manu retires.

Knoxxx
06-24-2013, 10:01 AM
Nando will be traded, some team will overpay Neal and the Spurs won't match, Blair replacement is Baynes so hes gone too.

Mills will pick his option and be the third PG, Diaw will pick his option and if the Spurs don't sign Dwight, Manu and Splitter will be back too.

Sweet we are on a first name basis with him!