PDA

View Full Version : Spurs: Relive Tim Duncan's point blank bunny miss

Landon Donofag
06-22-2013, 12:17 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnHN9sKN1w4

Thread
06-22-2013, 12:22 PM
One's charter shit sandwich is always the most bitter.

Chow!

dunkman
06-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Should've dunked over Battier.

Thread
06-22-2013, 01:37 PM
^He was in a hurry for some inexplicable reason.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
^He was in a hurry for some inexplicable reason.

Yep. I knew once he put his head down and rushed rather than calmly post up and take Battier that way, he was going to miss. The whole sequence looked awkward.

scroteface
06-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Pussy move to come back after the coast is clear after a 6 month hiatus.

Thread
06-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Yep. I knew once he put his head down and rushed rather than calmly post up and take Battier that way, he was going to miss. The whole sequence looked awkward.

Probably a link back to 6. You're just so fucking disgusted that you're still in Florida when you should not be, you're still playing when you should not be, you're still competing for something when you should not be. The mind is so complex. The breaking point had been reached for the Spurs. They were existing at this point on faith. That's dicey stuff. That wishin' & hopin'. I love it so, but, it dangerous on that particular field of battle.

Killakobe81
06-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Probably a link back to 6. You're just so fucking disgusted that you're still in Florida when you should not be, you're still playing when you should not be, you're still competing for something when you should not be. The mind is so complex. The breaking point had been reached for the Spurs. They were existing at this point on faith. That's dicey stuff. That wishin' & hopin'. I love it so, but, it dangerous on that particular field of battle.

Agreed. Credit for not folding in 7 ...but something just seemed off. And I know some folks dismiss shit liek thsi but when Clamers banked that 3 in I preety much knew the Heat would win. When fluky shit like that goes in it's hard to overcome.

Killakobe81
06-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Then you factor one of teh biggest chokes in recent memory ...

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 01:57 PM
Agreed. Credit for not folding in 7 ...but something just seemed off. And I know some folks dismiss shit liek thsi but when Clamers banked that 3 in I preety much knew the Heat would win. When fluky shit like that goes in it's hard to overcome.

Game 7 was essentially a eulogy. Never did I believe the Spurs would win that game.

Killakobe81
06-22-2013, 02:00 PM
Game 7 was essentially a eulogy. Never did I believe the Spurs would win that game.

Not sure Mj himself could of overcome a loss like that. Shit like that takes a piece of your soul.

Thread
06-22-2013, 02:09 PM

You figured that James had danced on the head of pin since being in Indiana, so that was the Spurs opportunity at 7. I'm still not convinced of James. He's uncomfortable where Jordan was in his element. It broke at Duncan's miss(s). To have it & then lose it within' 5 seconds is difficult to reconcile in the human mind. Everytime something goes wrong in 7 you go back to 6.

scroteface
06-22-2013, 02:10 PM
Pussy move to come back after the coast is clear after a 6 month hiatus.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 02:12 PM
Not sure Mj himself could of overcome a loss like that. Shit like that takes a piece of your soul.

Ultimately, I was proud of the effort. I thought Duncan would have a historically bad game and the Heat would win by 25. Even Manu responded well for 3 quarters. Leonard is a fuckin' machine and played unfazed. But yeah, you don't recover from losses like that.

Just like we all knew the Yankees were dead in the water after the bloody sock game. Or the Rangers after another historic game 6. Or the Cubs after the Bartman game.

The blow to the psyche is too much to overcome.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 02:17 PM
You figured that James had danced on the head of pin since being in Indiana, so that was the Spurs opportunity at 7. I'm still not convinced of James. He's uncomfortable where Jordan was in his element. It broke at Duncan's miss(s). To have it & then lose it within' 5 seconds is difficult to reconcile in the human mind. Everytime something goes wrong in 7 you go back to 6.

Yep.

Unless you're Kawhi Leonard. I don't think he's human.

21 years old and coming back with 19 and 16 after missing the game winning freethrow?

His father was murdered in cold blood, so I'm sure that noise in his head rings infinitely louder than what he does or doesn't do in basketball game.

Killakobe81
06-22-2013, 02:25 PM
Yep.

Unless you're Kawhi Leonard. I don't think he's human.

21 years old and coming back with 19 and 16 after missing the game winning freethrow?

His father was murdered in cold blood, so I'm sure that noise in his head rings infinitely louder than what he does or doesn't do in basketball game.

Very true. I like the soul searching version of you Mid, not cuz you made peace with some of my Lakers brethren ...but you seem to have stepped away from the stat obssesed crowd and realize this game is more than just about numbers on a stat sheet. I dont hate stats or advanced stats but for me the beauty of teh game is more than how many points someone scored or the efficency they played with. There is beauty in Parkers Game 1 winner and Lebron's block. I could feel the nerves as I saw the look on KL's face (i get he played well in 7 but he was SHOOK on that 1st FT) when he stepped to the line. I felt Duncan's pain as he was pounding the court in anguish.

I will remember ALL of that and could care less what the numbers say about this series.

baseline bum
06-22-2013, 02:42 PM
Ultimately, I was proud of the effort. I thought Duncan would have a historically bad game and the Heat would win by 25. Even Manu responded well for 3 quarters. Leonard is a fuckin' machine and played unfazed. But yeah, you don't recover from losses like that.

Just like we all knew the Yankees were dead in the water after the bloody sock game. Or the Rangers after another historic game 6. Or the Cubs after the Bartman game.

The blow to the psyche is too much to overcome.

The team was fine mentally. They lost because Parker couldn't play an effective 45 minutes, which meant the shooters couldn't get good looks, and then on top of everything James elevated into god mode the way the all-time greats do in games like this.

midnightpulp
06-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Very true. I like the soul searching version of you Mid, not cuz you made peace with some of my Lakers brethren ...but you seem to have stepped away from the stat obssesed crowd and realize this game is more than just about numbers on a stat sheet. I dont hate stats or advanced stats but for me the beauty of teh game is more than how many points someone scored or the efficency they played with. There is beauty in Parkers Game 1 winner and Lebron's block. I could feel the nerves as I saw the look on KL's face (i get he played well in 7 but he was SHOOK on that 1st FT) when he stepped to the line. I felt Duncan's pain as he was pounding the court in anguish.

I will remember ALL of that and could care less what the numbers say about this series.

I've always realized that and have said that any stat should be used in conjunction with the eye test.

The one who failed in this regard was Popovich. I don't care that the lineups he had on the floor for those last 28 seconds were "statistically" better at defending the 3 point shot than a lineup with a 7 footer. Here you are, seconds away from the championship, you know the Heat are going to be launching a 3, a shot that typically produces a high rebound, and you're going to rely on Boris fuckin' Diaw, a below average rebounder for his size, to grab the game clinching rebound?

Tim Duncan would've gotten that rebound. And even if he didn't, he should've gotten the opportunity to do so.

Pop is the one who choked here. Not the players. You see missed FTs all the time in that scenario. How many times have we seen the Lakers down 5 with seconds to go and Kobe hits a quick 3 off the inbound, gets it to two, opposing team misses one or two freethrows, Kobe wins or ties the game on the next possession?

Considering the pressure of the situation, the Spurs making 4 of their 6 FTs down the stretch was solid. But Pop's silly line-up gave the Heat two extra chances at hitting a 3.

And it burned him.

DeadlyDynasty
06-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Painful to watch in slow-mo. Point-blank indeed.

Bill_Brasky
06-22-2013, 02:45 PM
You don't allow a series against prime LeBron James to go 7 games. You just don't.

baseline bum
06-22-2013, 02:51 PM
I've always realized that and have said that any stat should be used in conjunction with the eye test.

The one who failed in this regard was Popovich. I don't care that the lineups he had on the floor for those last 28 seconds were "statistically" better at defending the 3 point shot than a lineup with a 7 footer. Here you are, seconds away from the championship, you know the Heat are going to be launching a 3, a shot that typically produces a high rebound, and you're going to rely on Boris fuckin' Diaw, a below average rebounder for his size, to grab the game clinching rebound?

Tim Duncan would've gotten that rebound. And even if he didn't, he should've gotten the opportunity to do so.

Pop is the one who choked here. Not the players. You see missed FTs all the time in that scenario. How many times have we seen the Lakers down 5 with seconds to go and Kobe hits a quick 3 off the inbound, gets it to two, opposing team misses one or two freethrows, Kobe wins or ties the game on the next possession?

Considering the pressure of the situation, the Spurs making 4 of their 6 FTs down the stretch was solid. But Pop's silly line-up gave the Heat two extra chances at hitting a 3.

And it burned him.

I can't stand going with hunches and with basketball religion. Pop has been benching Duncan for years in situations like that because Duncan doesn't have the mobility to chase shooters at the three point line. Can't imagine how pissed everyone would have been at Pop for putting Duncan on LeBron if he blows past him for a wide-open three.

Bill_Brasky
06-22-2013, 02:56 PM
Pop always uses that lineup to defend 3's and it always works. This happened to be the one time it didn't and it led to that type of fluke luck that every team needs to win a championship.

If you really think about it, after experiencing this, as Spurs fans there will never be anything that could possibly hurt worse.

Also, i feel like we got all the bad breaks out on that sequence that we didn't experience in other championship runs. Hopefully we don't ever have to see that again.

Thread
06-22-2013, 03:36 PM
and then on top of everything James elevated into god mode the way the all-time greats do in games like this.

True, the late outside shots were lethal. The timing was Jordanesque.

Thread
06-22-2013, 03:37 PM
I can't stand going with hunches and with basketball religion. Pop has been benching Duncan for years in situations like that because Duncan doesn't have the mobility to chase shooters at the three point line. Can't imagine how pissed everyone would have been at Pop for putting Duncan on LeBron if he blows past him for a wide-open three.

Where was the discipline then if that had been historic protocol? They sunk in on the miss for no reason whatsoever.

Killakobe81
06-22-2013, 03:55 PM

And it burned him.

Not Pops finest moment ...and thread is right media giving him a pass.I think they give him too much shit upstairs, but Phil was not perfect neither is Belicheck. No coach or player no matter how much they have won is above reproach when they lose.

Fixed. By me typing "Jim" sounds like i was taking a shot at Timmy. WAs just pointing out that Pop gets too much shit ordinarily, upstairs THIS time it WAS warranted.

boga
06-22-2013, 04:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oq3nvSyuWEg

close enough

baseline bum
06-22-2013, 04:39 PM
Not Pops finest moment ...and thread is right media giving Jim a pass.I think they give him too much shit upstairs, but Phil was not perfect neither is Belicheck. No coach or player no matter how much they have won is above reproach when they lose.

I'm not going to give Pop shit for going with the defensive strategy that he has been so successful with for years. His real fuck-ups in Game 6 were not having a quicker leash on Ginobili and on running that garbage lineup with Splitter and Ginobili to begin the fourth quarter that lost the lead they built up in the third.

ElNono
06-22-2013, 05:07 PM
If somebody told me Tim was going to be playing like this at 37 years old, I would've laughed in their face, especially after what he looked like 2-3 seasons ago.

I know that miss is going to haunt Tim forever, but it's ridiculous. What this nigga did the last couple of seasons is amazing.

Lincoln
06-22-2013, 05:14 PM
If somebody told me Tim was going to be playing like this at 37 years old, I would've laughed in their face, especially after what he looked like 2-3 seasons ago.

I know that miss is going to haunt Tim forever, but it's ridiculous. What this nigga did the last couple of seasons is amazing.Nigga was probably thinking about Amy and winning the title for her tbh

Juggity
06-22-2013, 05:23 PM
Duncan did everything he could possibly do the last 2 games of that series. Legendary for a 37 year old dude.

Couldn't be more impressed.

The wings didn't show up unfortunately. Not that it was unexpected. Parker's been having trouble with long, athletic defenders for years.

ElNono
06-22-2013, 05:32 PM
Nigga was probably thinking about Amy and winning the title for her tbh

IMO, he really wanted to have some new bragging rights for WoW, tbh...

sexinthatsx
06-22-2013, 06:16 PM
True, the late outside shots were lethal. The timing was Jordanesque.

Easier to make shots when your team's in the lead tbh...

AussieFanKurt
06-22-2013, 06:19 PM
over it tbh.. he has 4 rings and best PF ever.. no ones perfect

Spurs 4 The Win
06-22-2013, 06:34 PM
Nigga was probably thinking about Amy and winning the title for her tbh

You are a piece of shit troll. Everything you say is a testament to your unbelievable stupidity and worthless opinions.

Lincoln
06-22-2013, 08:41 PM
You are a piece of shit troll. Everything you say is a testament to your unbelievable stupidity and worthless opinions.

You mad you stupid faggot? Why u foaming at the mouth brah lol

Spurs 4 The Win
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
You mad you stupid faggot? Why u foaming at the mouth brah lol

No, just tired of your same old troll shtick. How about trying to not be intentionally annoying?

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2013, 04:00 AM
with a shitty league of big man, he can still dominate what is on the floor against him

i think he should go back and work on his bank shot, at leasts that gives him another reliable area on the floor he can score if they aint allowing him to score down low...

Arnold Toht
06-23-2013, 04:07 AM
with a shitty league of big man, he can still dominate what is on the floor against him

i think he should go back and work on his bank shot, at leasts that gives him another reliable area on the floor he can score if they aint allowing him to score down low...

Tim's been hitting Dirk-like jumpers all year, son :lol there ain't no low post shit

Biggest fluke season for a big man, ever. He'll go back to his 14/7 averages next year.

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2013, 04:14 AM
Tim's been hitting Dirk-like jumpers all year, son :lol there ain't no low post shit

Biggest fluke season for a big man, ever. He'll go back to his 14/7 averages next year.

fluke seasons, mavfans really know it by heart

TDMVPDPOY
06-23-2013, 04:15 AM
man i wish the spurs continue to run 4 down every possession seeing duncan goto work

then watching that ballhog pg hero mode....

could care win or loss, way better then heroball

irishock
06-23-2013, 04:19 AM
I'd rather watch Boris Diaw exhibit his superb dribbling and passing skills than see that Frenchie launch up a fadeaway 360 shot with 1 on the clock.