PDA

View Full Version : Pop should own up to his mistakes

MinuteByMinuteSports
06-22-2013, 06:06 PM
The outcome of the Finals falls on Pop and Pop alone. He makes the decisions during games and directs them, but he is still stuck in the past. Thinking The Big 3 are in their 20s, not seeing you have bench that can help them. Instead he stuck with the same rotation and never glanced at the bench except a few times. The dumbest thing that Pop did was taking Duncan out in Game 6, knowing you're seconds away from the title. Timmy could have rebounded the ball, instead Bosh rebounded it and passed to Allen for the game-tying three.

But when Pop was asked, he answered "I've done it all season." Yes, in the regular season but not in an important Finals game.

So he doesn't own up to his mistakes.

Pop got out-coached, outsmarted, and outplayed by Spo. Because Erik is smart enough to use his bench. Other coaches use their bench as well. So if anyone fucked it up for Timmy, it was Pop and Pop alone.

If Holt had any brain, he would get rid of Pop because like TP said we'll never get another championship again.

T Park
06-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Awesome.

You hire who, Vinny Del Negro? Byron Scott?

Brian Shaw?

MinuteByMinuteSports
06-22-2013, 06:11 PM
Awesome.

You hire who, Vinny Del Negro? Byron Scott?

Brian Shaw?

Lionel Hollins is available. He turned Memphis into a solid defensive team.

jjktkk
06-22-2013, 06:16 PM

And who did Hollins get swept by? This has to be a troll. :lol

ElNono
06-22-2013, 06:23 PM
I'm not even mad at Pop at this point. He addressed two of my main criticism towards him in the last few years:

- Talking about focusing on defense but not really carrying trough with it. Be it because of personnel or whatever, it just hasn't happened until this year. But this year has been very encouraging.
- Waiting too late in a series to adjust. I thought these playoffs brought the best of him in this department. I thought he did a terrific job in the GSW series when it looked like we couldn't control those guys. I also thought he mostly pushed the right buttons, overall, in the Finals.

In the to-do side of the equation, I'd like him to prepare the younger guys to be able to play more minutes when needed. I always thought it's hard to play for 44+ minutes when a player is used to playing 30 or so minutes. And teams like Miami, OKC, etc have no problem riding their young guys for 40+ mins during the regular season. So when the time comes, it's not that taxing on them to play as much. I understand what he does with the veterans, but with the younger guys, I think he can do better.

TXstbobcat
06-22-2013, 06:35 PM
Is this thread really suggesting firing the guy that coached the spurs to 4 nba titles????

dallasmaverickslose
06-22-2013, 07:00 PM
The outcome of the Finals falls on Pop and Pop alone. He makes the decisions during games and directs them, but he is still stuck in the past. Thinking The Big 3 are in their 20s, not seeing you have bench that can help them. Instead he stuck with the same rotation and never glanced at the bench except a few times. The dumbest thing that Pop did was taking Duncan out in Game 6, knowing you're seconds away from the title. Timmy could have rebounded the ball, instead Bosh rebounded it and passed to Allen for the game-tying three.

But when Pop was asked, he answered "I've done it all season." Yes, in the regular season but not in an important Finals game.

So he doesn't own up to his mistakes.

Pop got out-coached, outsmarted, and outplayed by Spo. Because Erik is smart enough to use his bench. Other coaches use their bench as well. So if anyone fucked it up for Timmy, it was Pop and Pop alone.

If Holt had any brain, he would get rid of Pop because like TP said we'll never get another championship again.

Without Pop, we get nowhere near a championship.

You are such an idiot. You're not worth my time.

Knoxxx
06-22-2013, 07:02 PM
Pop didn't miss 2 of 4 FTs. He put the team in position to win by making 3 of 4 FTs down the stretch. Am I missing something here?

weeks
06-22-2013, 07:20 PM
I agree that Pop could use a little more humility sometimes, but be honest.
Do you guys think ANYONE is second-guessing Pop more than himself?
Seriously?

We're just fans; this is his life. The pain and hurt we felt were just echoes of what must have been going through him and the rest of the team.

Pop should admit when he makes mistakes; I can get behind this. But I'm certain Pop is more hurt by this result than any of us, and hopefully more motivated to do better next time.

This loss made all of us miserable. Turning on each other over it and infighting is an even sadder result.

Believe it or not, the Spurs did not get embarrassed. They won a lot of respect and went down swinging.

We get swept in the first round, I think we'd all have a right to be more upset.
This hurt, but it wasn't any more humiliating than a simple loss. At least to me.

CitizenDwayne
06-22-2013, 07:22 PM
Own up to who? Journalists? Why?

therealtruth
06-22-2013, 07:35 PM
I'm not even mad at Pop at this point. He addressed two of my main criticism towards him in the last few years:

- Talking about focusing on defense but not really carrying trough with it. Be it because of personnel or whatever, it just hasn't happened until this year. But this year has been very encouraging.
- Waiting too late in a series to adjust. I thought these playoffs brought the best of him in this department. I thought he did a terrific job in the GSW series when it looked like we couldn't control those guys. I also thought he mostly pushed the right buttons, overall, in the Finals.

In the to-do side of the equation, I'd like him to prepare the younger guys to be able to play more minutes when needed. I always thought it's hard to play for 44+ minutes when a player is used to playing 30 or so minutes. And teams like Miami, OKC, etc have no problem riding their young guys for 40+ mins during the regular season. So when the time comes, it's not that taxing on them to play as much. I understand what he does with the veterans, but with the younger guys, I think he can do better.

I give credit to Pop for that. But he abandoned that defense when the Heat decided to start Mike Miller. That was a brilliant move by Spoelstra. Yeah they won game 5 but they were less effective defensively after Splitter's minutes went down.

Also don't forget the reason we had problems in the GS series is because he waited till game 3 to reinsert Splitter into the lineup. We probably sweep or win in 5 otherwise.

therealtruth
06-22-2013, 07:38 PM
I agree that Pop could use a little more humility sometimes, but be honest.
Do you guys think ANYONE is second-guessing Pop more than himself?
Seriously?

We're just fans; this is his life. The pain and hurt we felt were just echoes of what must have been going through him and the rest of the team.

Pop should admit when he makes mistakes; I can get behind this. But I'm certain Pop is more hurt by this result than any of us, and hopefully more motivated to do better next time.

This loss made all of us miserable. Turning on each other over it and infighting is an even sadder result.

Believe it or not, the Spurs did not get embarrassed. They won a lot of respect and went down swinging.

We get swept in the first round, I think we'd all have a right to be more upset.
This hurt, but it wasn't any more humiliating than a simple loss. At least to me.

Then what is so hard about admitting it. Alot of coaches do that. Instead he will always try to focus on the stuff he can't control like shots. Coaches can't control everything but they control a lot. If any guy deserved to be a prick to the media it was PJ and he usually gave intelligent thoughtful responses.

dbreiden83080
06-22-2013, 07:46 PM
He is one of the best coaches in the league and has been for most of Duncan's tenure. He had a bad couple of moments in the finals that was a killer there is no getting around that. The sad thing is he made really good adjustments as well in the finals coming off losses.. And you are not bringing in anybody that is better than Pop nor would the players even want that to happen. Pop is the coach of this team and that's it..

dbreiden83080
06-22-2013, 07:48 PM

Yeah I am sure he is mistake proof in the pressure cooker of the NBA finals.. After all he's had so much experience in that scenario..