PDA

View Full Version : Heat prevailed in Game 7, but the Spurs have the brighter future

Juggity
06-22-2013, 08:45 PM
Interesting take from Slate's Matthew Yglesias. Puts into perspective the organizational superiority of the Spurs. Here's an excerpt:

LINK (http://www.slate.com/articles/sports/sports_nut/2013/06/_2013_nba_finals_san_antonio_s_old_team_has_a_brig hter_future_than_miami.html)

Next season’s outlook for the Heat is bright in the sense that any team featuring James—especially in the weak Eastern Conference—is bound to be a contender. But Miami will have to spend the summer contemplating the 2014 free agency of James, Bosh, and Wade; the declining state of Wade’s knee; its aging cast of role players; a perilous lack of size; and an absence of cap flexibility with which to address these various problems.

By contrast, behind the aging Duncan and Ginobili the Spurs are now deep with young talent.

Danny Green disappointed in Game 7, but throughout the playoffs established himself as a sharpshooting force. (And even before the playoffs, Green ranked 10th in NBA history (http://www.nba.com/statistics/default_all_time_leaders/AllTimeLeadersFG3PQuery.html?topic=4&stat=6) in 3-point shooting percentage.) Kawhi Leonard, who averaged 15 points and 11 rebounds per game in the Finals while guarding James, is only 21. Parker and Tiago Splitter are both young enough to stay effective as the team’s young wings mature and improve. Young guards Nando de Colo and Patty Mills have both been effective in limited minutes this year, and the odds that at least one of them will have the skills to step up into a rotation role seem good.

And unlike other teams, the Spurs have a farm system.

San Antonio’s enduring success stems from a combination of canny player evaluation and patience. Since the team is good, and since everyone has confidence in each other, there’s little pressure to make panicky moves. San Antonio can afford to draft guys like Splitter and bring him to the states years later (http://www.slate.com/blogs/moneybox/2013/05/29/tiago_splitter_buyout_san_antonio_and_the_virtues_ of_patience.html) as a prime-age rookie.

Not coincidentally, lurking on the Spurs bench you might see a 26-year-old Australian rookie big man named Aron Baynes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aron_Baynes). He’s barely played this season and in fact only joined the team in January. But earlier in the year he played in the Euroleague, the highest level of European basketball, for Slovenia’s Union Olimpija. He scored 14 points and 10 rebounds a game in 26 minutes while making 59 percent of his field goals. He also started one playoff game this year, guarding a guy named Dwight Howard. Howard scored 7 points in the game and committed five turnovers, before getting ejected in the third quarter for excessive arguing.

ViceCity84
06-22-2013, 08:55 PM
Lebron James in his prime>>>>Spurs youthful role Players
Pat Riley will do a steal

HI-FI
06-22-2013, 08:56 PM
I don't even think Heat have a system other than Riley saying "come to Miami, where the blow, hookers and taxes are cheap."

Venti Quattro
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
I don't even think Heat have a system other than Riley saying "come to Miami, where the blow, hookers and taxes are cheap."

And the sun, the beaches and booties are nice...

ElNono
06-22-2013, 09:00 PM

whatever it is, it's working...

HemisfairArena
06-22-2013, 09:11 PM
And the sun, the beaches and booties are nice...

Tell me this isnt a splitting image to the girl in your post but only older. They actually look like they could be mother and daughter.

http://2254a9d02b08b47afd5d-5a659056359faa679ad29652935f7074.r92.cf1.rackcdn.c om/2011/04/Giada-De-Laurentis1-460x345.jpg

kobexxx
06-22-2013, 09:14 PM
Duncan era is over.. he's old after his wonderful work this year. OKC and MIami will be the favorites next season. Spurs can keep Manu and it will not make a difference

Kidd K
06-22-2013, 09:16 PM
Not next year we don't.

If LeBron leaves though, yeah, the Heat will implode. As long as LeBron is there, their future is brighter. Duncan will be gone soon then we will take a nosedive. Pop will be gone soon after then we will drop off a little more.

Our future ain't that bright when you think about it logically. We're never going to be a really shitty team unless we're tanking for picks, but the Spurs aren't immune to just being unlucky every now and then and having their high picks be busts or their best guys getting freak injuries.

Just remember the guys running the ship are old too. After LeBron, yes our future's brighter since the Heat just got lucky with that shit. Prior to that, we're gonna be worse. . .and we might only be barely better if Pop and RC are gone shortly after Duncan. I like the Spurs as long as those 3 are around, but when the leadership goes, usually so does the quality of the faction.

TheGreatYacht
06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
Not next year we don't.

If LeBron leaves though, yeah, the Heat will implode. As long as LeBron is there, their future is brighter. Duncan will be gone soon then we will take a nosedive. Pop will be gone soon after then we will drop off a little more.

Our future ain't that bright when you think about it logically. We're never going to be a really shitty team unless we're tanking for picks, but the Spurs aren't immune to just being unlucky every now and then and having their high picks be busts or their best guys getting freak injuries.

Just remember the guys running the ship are old too. After LeBron, yes our future's brighter since the Heat just got lucky with that shit. Prior to that, we're gonna be worse. . .and we might only be barely better if Pop and RC are gone shortly after Duncan. I like the Spurs as long as those 3 are around, but when the leadership goes, usually so does the quality of the faction.That is why I'm hoping that Pop takes a role in the FO when he retires as head coach. A similar role to that of Pat Rilley with the Heat would be perfect for Pop. I believe that Pop was the Spurs GM at one point and then he became the GM and coach. I think Pop might play a couple of more years until Parker retires depending on what type of players Parker is surrounded by and if we have good enough players in the frontcourt to compensate when Duncan retires.

ElNono
06-22-2013, 10:48 PM
Teams in big markets are always going to have it easier than small market teams... the Spurs absolutely lucked out in landing such talent as Robinson and Duncan and that they decided to stay with the team.

I know the CBA has been trying to address that, but the reality is that there's a lot of money to be made outside of the court, and big markets will always have a bigger allure due to that.

Skull-1
06-22-2013, 10:49 PM

Awesome. Pat looks like he did some blow. Haggard old man....sad.

tmtcsc
06-22-2013, 11:10 PM
I feel good about the Spurs chances next year. They are clearly the class of the Western Conference. Tim looked fantastic this year and keeps improving. He's got another 2 or 3 years left in him. Manu...not sure what happened to him. He used to be absolutely clutch at the FT line and I'm afraid his drop-off is a clear indication that he's not right upstairs. His body failed him this season too.

He needs to change his game and get his head right.

Sean Cagney
06-22-2013, 11:53 PM
I feel good about the Spurs chances next year. They are clearly the class of the Western Conference. Tim looked fantastic this year and keeps improving. He's got another 2 or 3 years left in him. Manu...not sure what happened to him. He used to be absolutely clutch at the FT line and I'm afraid his drop-off is a clear indication that he's not right upstairs. His body failed him this season too.

He needs to change his game and get his head right.Manu it was age and playing all those summers, but the FT's yeah that was fully mental IMO! He used to be automatic late in the games at the line!

TheGoldStandard
06-22-2013, 11:59 PM
The Spurs have done a great job with the coaching tree and executives, we have smart people who go to other teams and when its time for RC and Pop to ride off we'll have the perfect people in place to do so.. I don't care about small market or big market teams, it's about how you run a franchise and not who has all the money in the world or else we'd see the Knicks getting to the finals and that hasn't happened in ages. LA has had a good run because they were able to buy talent and they have there drones working in other offices to give them great players for draft picks and nothing.. same with the Celtics run from 08 - 12 danny ainge had his network and worked it..

The Spurs showed that a team effort can beat a LeBron James lead team and the east is getting better.. Indy is a PG away from being contenders there..

San Antonio has a bright future especially given that we have players who would be willing to take less, or give more in order to make others welcome and belong.. It's a culture here not just the game of basketball.

sexinthatsx
06-23-2013, 12:25 AM
Awesome. Pat looks like he did some blow. Haggard old man....sad.

Pat seriously looks like someone who is in the Mafia or has ties with the mafia. The way he looks with the slick back hair and his smirk is almost evil

Seefourdc
06-23-2013, 04:56 AM
Will the Spurs really match up with the Thunder? I'm sure Duncan and Ginobli will continue to have age regression which means the Spurs have an even more deteriorated front court and ball handling issues.

milkyway21
06-23-2013, 05:10 AM
He also started one playoff game this year, guarding a guy named Dwight Howard. Howard scored 7 points in the game and committed five turnovers, before getting ejected in the third quarter for excessive arguing. :lol @ Howard.

Kawhi is so good all-around player. And he is cheap ($1.9M)
I watched the replay of game 7 again to see his flawless performance. Sad they didn't win.

regarding his invitation to the Olympics..I think it is better for Kawhi to rest. And be ready for the next season.

here's what Pop said about that

Leonard was invited to play for USA Basketball, but his availability is in doubt because of chronic knee soreness he experienced in the final months of the season. "It's obviously an honor, to be involved in USA basketball in any way, shape or form and Kawhi is thrilled with the selection," Popovich said,
"But we need to talk to the doctors to make sure he is able to do it."

Kidd K
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
That is why I'm hoping that Pop takes a role in the FO when he retires as head coach. A similar role to that of Pat Rilley with the Heat would be perfect for Pop. I believe that Pop was the Spurs GM at one point and then he became the GM and coach. I think Pop might play a couple of more years until Parker retires depending on what type of players Parker is surrounded by and if we have good enough players in the frontcourt to compensate when Duncan retires.

That's actually a good point. It'd be easier on Pop to be the GM than the coach. I'd like to see him stick around for awhile in a key front office role. I am really worried what's going to happen when Duncan retires though. I have this worry that the team's going to fall apart because we'll never be able to replace what he brought us. :(

texmich
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/2054828288/hB7C1F3BE/