PDA

View Full Version : Pop: Fans shouldn't expect a major facelift

ElNono
06-23-2013, 12:33 AM
“People have been telling us we need to get younger 15 years ago,” he said. “At one point I guess we will be too old. Who knows when that is? Going to the conference finals last year and the Finals this year proves something is going right. I think we’ll just stay on course with the way we do things.”

“(This year) reminded me, and Timmy (Duncan) and Tony (Parker) and Manu (Ginobili) again, we forgot how hard it is to get there,” he said. “It took forever to play all those games. So that was a big revelation for us. We just whipped through it in the past. This year, it was like, ‘My gosh, did we really do this four times?’

“So why not try to do it again? That’s what we’re here for. We will or we won’t, but we’ll certainly give it our best effort.”

On Leonard:

“He’s basically a senior in college, and he went through the Finals as if he was going to HEB to pick up dinner. He was unbelievable. I don’t even call plays for him, and you see what he can do out on the court. He’s just feeling his way. He’ll be getting the ball more and more as time goes on.”

Full story:
http://blog.mysanantonio.com/spursnation/2013/06/22/popovich-looks-forward-after-finals-heartbreak/

SanDiegoSpursFan
06-23-2013, 12:34 AM
I love this team.

RD2191
06-23-2013, 12:40 AM
Well fuck that. I'm done when Tim retires.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I love this interview. I just hope that the FO does their job and uses the cap space wisely. There's quite a few FA's out there that can help Tim Duncan go out on top and win his alluded 5th championship ring.

dallasmaverickslose
06-23-2013, 12:42 AM
Guess it's time to fire Pop. Those mistakes in the finals are unexcusable and unforgivable. Too bad we couldn't have nabbed Mike Brown when we had the chance...

apalisoc_9
06-23-2013, 12:44 AM

You're an Idiot.

This team doesn't need any major changes. Sure they probably need to fix the back-up pg situation but that can be done by organically improving ( Joseph, Decolo).

Kawhi Leonard Getting more touches is the main thing the spurs need to concentrating on doing next year.

Resign Manu, Tiago

Think hard about Neal, Bonner

This team should still be good enough to reach the finals next year.

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 12:45 AM
being a free throw or defensive rebound from a championship and guys shitting the bed because we aren't blowing it up and rebuilding :lol

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Don't need a facelift, just tweaks.

texmich
06-23-2013, 12:47 AM
Lol wtf, let me guess over pay manu and watch bonner again, this team has money to work with you senile old man,quit fucking with tims last years! Its like this old guy is fucking with ushttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-06NpQFp-Cc0/T8_cfS3LoFI/AAAAAAAABS4/_8SoBCn-bD0/s1600/throwing-computer.gif FUCK !!!!!!!

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 12:48 AM
Guess it's time to fire Pop. Those mistakes in the finals are unexcusable and unforgivable. Too bad we couldn't have nabbed Mike Brown when we had the chance...Umm, Mike Brown is overrated. His offense sucks. His defense is overrated too. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1613966-mike-brown-isnt-best-option-for-cavaliers-coaching-vacancy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCqDZztv3cU

baseline bum
06-23-2013, 12:50 AM
You're an Idiot.

This team doesn't need any major changes. Sure they probably need to fix the back-up pg situation but that can be done by organically improving ( Joseph, Decolo).

Kawhi Leonard Getting more touches is the main thing the spurs need to concentrating on doing next year.

Resign Manu, Tiago

De Colo is starting to sound like a worse version of Beno with his complaining about his role. i really like Corey Joseph's chance to be a quality backup, but the Spurs need a veteran backup PG desperately since CoJo is still a bit of a work in progress. I don't expect Neal back, but would love to have him return in that Steve Kerr streak-shooter bench role. Ginobili, Splitter, and Diaw are musts to bring back. Probably have to cut Bonner to free up the money needed for a backup PG, so the Spurs would definitely need to find some kind of big to fill some minutes in during the season.

dallasmaverickslose
06-23-2013, 12:50 AM
Umm, Mike Brown is overrated. He can't coach. His offense sucks. His defense is overrated too. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1613966-mike-brown-isnt-best-option-for-cavaliers-coaching-vacancy
http://www.humormeetscomics.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/sarcasm.png

RD2191
06-23-2013, 12:52 AM
You're an Idiot.

Resign Manu, Tiago

But can they win? No. 1 year older and slower. Same shit different pile.

davidbowie
06-23-2013, 12:53 AM
it's almost as if we were 20 seconds away from a championship

bring everyone back. lets do this!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

baseline bum
06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
being a free throw or defensive rebound from a championship and guys shitting the bed because we aren't blowing it up and rebuilding :lol

No shit :lmao

texmich
06-23-2013, 12:54 AM
And for all u who think roll the same team, a yr older is gonna get u to the finals and super manu returns and will save us this time http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1283485/arnold-fuck-you-o.gif too

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 12:56 AM
And for all u who think roll the same team, a yr older is gonna get u to the finals and super manu returns and will save us this time tooI know right? These people still live in the past and believe that Manu is our ultimate savior. Geez I rather be a prisoner in the moment than live in the past like these obnoxious peeps.

tesseractive
06-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Lol wtf, let me guess over pay manu and watch bonner again, this team has money to work with you senile old man,quit fucking with tims last years! Its like this old guy is fucking with ushttp://1.bp.blogspot.com/-06NpQFp-Cc0/T8_cfS3LoFI/AAAAAAAABS4/_8SoBCn-bD0/s1600/throwing-computer.gif FUCK !!!!!!!

Yeah, I mean, at least the Mavs understood that no matter how good you are, you need to dump your veterans and rebuild around your star. At least the Mavs tried to compete this year, the Spurs just sleepwalked through the season again with the same old guys. I'm telling you, Dallas should be the model this franchise tries to follow.

dallasmaverickslose
06-23-2013, 12:58 AM
I know right? These people still live in the past and believe that Manu is our ultimate savior. Geez I rather be a prisoner in the moment than live in the past like these obnoxious peeps.

That's nice. Nobody gives a shit.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 01:00 AM
Pop still drives a 1985 Ford Fiesta.. If its not broke don't fix it.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:02 AM
Very misleading thread.

1. So Pop actually never said "fans shouldn't expect a major facelift"?

2. Pop saying the Spurs will most likely "Stay the course in what they do" doesn't mean they don't make a game-changing move, signing, trade, draft pick, etc

apalisoc_9
06-23-2013, 01:08 AM
Very misleading thread.

2. Pop saying the Spurs will most likely "Stay the course in what they do" doesn't mean they don't make a game-changing move, signing, trade, draft pick, etc

Well If you think about it, you would need some sort of tweak both offensively and defensively if you're going to bring in a "star" like player.

dallasmaverickslose
06-23-2013, 01:10 AM
So it's safe to say Pop's not getting any plastic surgery this offseason? Damn.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 01:12 AM
Very misleading thread.

From the article:

But he did say fans probably shouldn’t expect a major face lift, even with as many as seven players entering free agency, and Matt Bonner’s 2013/14 contract becoming fully guaranteed at the end of the month.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:14 AM
Well If you think about it, you would need some sort of tweak both offensively and defensively if you're going to bring in a "star" like player.

I didn't say they would bring in a Star.

Trading for Leonard wasn't bringing in a "Star" but it was a game changing acquisition. Pop saying the Spurs "will stay the course in what they do" doesn't mean they don't sign a significant player or make another significant move or draft pick. The Spurs getting any player they consider to be in the playoff rotation is considered a significant move. Not Dwight fucking Howard. Of course they aren't signing a "star"

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:15 AM
From the article:

But he did say fans probably shouldn’t expect a major face lift, even with as many as seven players entering free agency, and Matt Bonner’s 2013/14 contract becoming fully guaranteed at the end of the month.

Ok well in that case it's impossible to quantify what his view of a "major facelift" is compared to yours or anyone else on the board.

texmich
06-23-2013, 01:15 AM
Hey tesse, Hate dallas but at least they won and beat LeBron recently, all I am saying is there is always room for improvement, even if ur a champ, Miami will try to improve, who the fuck says im a champ I will just go with the same team and that means automatic win. Spurs will have money, why not try to improve immediately and build a little for the future

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 01:17 AM
so... ur telling me we're getting dwight?

ElNono
06-23-2013, 01:17 AM
Ok well in that case it's impossible to quantify what his view of a "major facelift" is compared to yours or anyone else on the board.

I'm just quoting the article. I thought it was something that stood out from it. Don't tell me it's "misleading" when it's a direct quote from the damn thing.

What does Pop thinks it's a "major facelift" is anyone's guess.

Texas_Ranger
06-23-2013, 01:19 AM
it's pretty obvious we need a quality big guy that can pair up with Tim, and that guy is not Tiago Splitter. Backup SF and PG are also needed. They'll have 20 millions so they should spend it well.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:20 AM
I'm just quoting the article. I thought it was something that stood out from it. Don't tell me it's "misleading" when it's a direct quote from the damn thing.

What does Pop thinks it's a "major facelift" is anyone's guess.

Just figured you would have put the original quote in the original post.

Still not news worthy of a thread but whatever. :tu carry on.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 01:23 AM
Just figured you would have put the original quote in the original post.

Still not news worthy of a thread but whatever. :tu carry on.

I only posted Pop's quotes because we're supposed to only post excerpts from that site, and the quotes are already the bulk of the juicy stuff. There's a link to the full story at the bottom.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 01:28 AM
I only posted Pop's quotes because we're supposed to only post excerpts from that site, and the quotes are already the bulk of the juicy stuff. There's a link to the full story at the bottom.

I still don't know if Pop actually said "don't expect a major facelift" or if that was McCarney putting those Pop quotes into his own words.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 01:41 AM
I still don't know if Pop actually said "don't expect a major facelift" or if that was McCarney putting those Pop quotes into his own words.

Could be.

Spur|n|Austin
06-23-2013, 01:45 AM

I though you were done mid playoffs you idiot? Sad thing is, some people think you're a troll, but you're really just a pea brain kid.

RD2191
06-23-2013, 01:47 AM
I though you were done mid playoffs you idiot? Sad thing is, some people think you're a troll, but you're really just a pea brain kid.
Is it that time of the month again?

Spur|n|Austin
06-23-2013, 01:49 AM
Is it that time of the month again?

So many different come backs, not enough time for you to understand a one.

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Don't need a facelift, but we can definitely get a lot better with just a couple moves.. but knowing the Spurs they'll probably just stay put tbh.

texmich
06-23-2013, 01:58 AM

Is it that time of the month again? So many different come backs, not enough time for you to understand a one. http://i.imgur.com/UIlB7.gif

eds
06-23-2013, 02:06 AM
So it's safe to say Pop's not getting any plastic surgery this offseason? Damn.
:lmao

mercos
06-23-2013, 03:08 AM
Only personnel change I would make is adding a better backup point guard. From there, I would take away ball handling duties from Manu if he returns and let him be the backup SG. I think Leonard's growth makes up for any slowdown in Duncan's game, if he slows down at all. This same team with a better Leonard next year could easily win the title.

06-23-2013, 03:26 AM
Everything depends on Ginobili and Splitter's new contracts. If they are overpaid, the Spurs will end up trotting out the same lineup as last year, just another year older and another year slower. Leonard's gains would be offset by a slower Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. The Spurs will have a difficult time reaching the finals and actually defeating the Heat. They can't rely on Westbrook getting injured or a repeat of Green's best 3 point shooting in NBA finals history. It'll be more of Parker dribbling the ball to nowhere and Ginobili giving the ball to the opposition whenever he gets the chance.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 03:30 AM
Pop dodged basically every question about next season by saying that questions should be asked to RC. So, it would be fine if RC had some kind of meeting with journalists to answer at these. RC won't of course give straight answers but it would at least give some hints about what Spurs fans should expect this summer.

chapnis
06-23-2013, 03:46 AM
Of course there isn't going to be some big overhaul. 4 of the 5 starters are under contract for next season already.

HI-FI
06-23-2013, 03:50 AM
Everything depends on Ginobili and Splitter's new contracts. If they are overpaid, the Spurs will end up trotting out the same lineup as last year, just another year older and another year slower. Leonard's gains would be offset by a slower Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. The Spurs will have a difficult time reaching the finals and actually defeating the Heat. They can't rely on Westbrook getting injured or a repeat of Green's best 3 point shooting in NBA finals history. It'll be more of Parker dribbling the ball to nowhere and Ginobili giving the ball to the opposition whenever he gets the chance.
this.

it all starts from the top and i really hope the FO nails it. I was thinking earlier how that last contract with Manu really came back to haunt us.

unforeseen
06-23-2013, 04:32 AM
We will have to see all the off season moves to judge the Spurs chances.

temujin
06-23-2013, 04:47 AM

This, plus Splitter not getting rebounds and Leonard missing FTs down the stretch, pretty much sums up Spurs going 15-6 in Playoffs games.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 04:48 AM
Everything depends on Ginobili and Splitter's new contracts. If they are overpaid, the Spurs will end up trotting out the same lineup as last year, just another year older and another year slower. Leonard's gains would be offset by a slower Parker, Duncan, and Ginobili. The Spurs will have a difficult time reaching the finals and actually defeating the Heat. They can't rely on Westbrook getting injured or a repeat of Green's best 3 point shooting in NBA finals history. It'll be more of Parker dribbling the ball to nowhere and Ginobili giving the ball to the opposition whenever he gets the chance.:toast Well said. Spurs need to prioritize in acquiring a backup PG to Tony Parker and possibly a better big man to replace softy Tiago Splitter. FO cannot allow Manu to be a determent to the team. Manu deserves the veteran's minimum IMHO. The best thing that Manu can do is to allow the FO to make their free agency moves, sign all the necessary players, and then he can take whatever money is left. I believe that is what Tim Duncan did when he was a FA.

exstatic
06-23-2013, 07:29 AM
Please leave now. You're obviously just on the bandwagon.

cd021
06-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Guess it's time to fire Pop. Those mistakes in the finals are unexcusable and unforgivable. Too bad we couldn't have nabbed Mike Brown when we had the chance...

You mean when he was preparing to take the Spurs to the finals? Yeah Laker logic. If something isn't broke make a change.

cd021
06-23-2013, 09:04 AM
Please leave now. You're obviously just on the bandwagon.

This^^^ If he isn't in it for the long haul fuck em.

cd021
06-23-2013, 09:08 AM
This, plus Splitter not getting rebounds and Leonard missing FTs down the stretch, pretty much sums up Spurs going 15-6 in Playoffs games.

Leonard had been missing FTs since the GSW series 65% in the post season in bad.

RD2191
06-23-2013, 09:11 AM
:wakeup

Strategic
06-23-2013, 09:22 AM
The Spurs were seconds away from the NBA title, so why would anyone expect an overhaul?

Captivus
06-23-2013, 09:37 AM
Even though the Spurs were almost the champions, many Spurs fans (me included) think that this dream could eventually be over.
Remember TDs injury this season? That was very close, almost "Lakers sweep us" close (I know, a little extreme, but you know what I mean).
The big 3 will stay, no one is saying trade everybody!
But keeping Bonner is just STUPID, and those are the things that Spurs fans want. They need the Spurs FO to do something.

rascal
06-23-2013, 10:05 AM
it's almost as if we were 20 seconds away from a championship

bring everyone back. lets do this!!!!!!!!!!!

GO SPURS GO!!!!

:flag::flag::flag::flag:

The league won't be the same. players will get traded and teams will be reloading and you can't count on the injured top players to be injured next season. Spurs need to improve not bring back the same exact team.

This team was not quite good enough and I don't see how anyone can think they will be any better next year.

rascal
06-23-2013, 10:10 AM
Pop dodged basically every question about next season by saying that questions should be asked to RC. So, it would be fine if RC had some kind of meeting with journalists to answer at these. RC won't of course give straight answers but it would at least give some hints about what Spurs fans should expect this summer.

Expect more of the same. Same roster with 1 or 2 small changes.

Kidd K
06-23-2013, 11:33 AM
I hope Pop isn't serious. We need a new backup ballhandler/scorer besides Manu. The rest can be the same for all I care, but for the love of god, we need somebody else now. Nate, Jack, whoever. Bring in someone. Will not ask for anything else.

BackHome
06-23-2013, 11:41 AM
Pop is never going to say we need to make major changes to a bunch of reporters. Looking at the draft I could easily see us trading someone to get a better draft pick and who knows what is going to happen to Neal, Manu , and Splitter this off season. All three could be gone if they decide they want more money or in Manu's case retires. We have money to spend so it is going to be a fun summer figuring out what happens with what players.

I do agree we need two players - A ball handler/scorer and a also a big who can rebound and block some shots.

boutons_deux
06-23-2013, 11:44 AM
a 21-year-old 2nd year players averaging a double-double, in the fucking Finals!

There's nothing that indicates a "non-big" player's hustle and heart better than rebounding.

Mr Bones
06-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Pop never shows his hand in interviews anyway, and certainly wouldn't announce something like "we're gonna try to sign so-and-so to upgrade such-and-such a position...." So what he says here means pretty much nothing.

SenorSpur
06-23-2013, 12:04 PM
Of course, the Spurs do not need a face lift, but they certainly could stand to upgrade the rotation pieces around their core group.

therealtruth
06-23-2013, 12:53 PM
Leonard had been missing FTs since the GSW series 65% in the post season in bad.

So then why again was he the guy receiving the ball with the game on the line?

dallasmaverickslose
06-23-2013, 01:09 PM
You mean when he was preparing to take the Spurs to the finals? Yeah Laker logic. If something isn't broke make a change.

Sarcasm bro. Learn to identify it.

DPG21920
06-23-2013, 01:12 PM
Can we at least get some lipo?

Agloco
06-23-2013, 01:16 PM

You were done during each series if memory serves. I doubt anyone really takes you seriously at this point.

poeticism707
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
Of course Pop, it all the players fault for not winning the chip, it's not like you took your best rebounder out two straight possessions, when we were one defensive rebound away from a title, or mailed in game7 like you had hangover.
Yes, it's all the players.

cd021
06-23-2013, 01:25 PM
Sarcasm bro. Learn to identify it.

Sarcasm doesn't really translate on line that well. My bad, I'm still a little salty from ....you know.

Southwest Texas Fan
06-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Umm, Mike Brown is overrated. His offense sucks. His defense is overrated too. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1613966-mike-brown-isnt-best-option-for-cavaliers-coaching-vacancy

I think he might have been joking.

cd021
06-23-2013, 01:27 PM
So then why again was he the guy receiving the ball with the game on the line?

He was the only one open , I guess. I'd still trust him to take clutch free throws than Neal. Neal has a history of clanking big foul shots. Manu shouldn't have missed 1 either.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Of course, the Spurs do not need a face lift, but they certainly could stand to upgrade the rotation pieces around their core group.

You are correct. With all that money no major facelift is needed but they sure as heck had better add some pieces if they want to come close to duplicating this seasons success.

SenorSpur
06-23-2013, 02:57 PM
You are correct. With all that money no major facelift is needed but they sure as heck had better add some pieces if they want to come close to duplicating this seasons success.

I concur. In the competitive arms race of the Western Conference, contending teams will get better. Whether it be via free agent additions, players returning from injury, or the draft, teams will continuously get better. The Spurs can ill afford to simply stand pat and not upgrade their rotational players.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 03:06 PM
I concur. In the competitive arms race of the Western Conference, contending teams will get better. Whether it be via free agent additions, players returning from injury, or the draft, teams will continuously get better. The Spurs can ill afford to simply stand pat and not upgrade their rotational players.

I hate to say it but Neal will not cut it at backup PG at times. We either develop Joseph or Nando for that role or go out and sign a backup PG. We also can use another guy who can score in the second unit! Manu doesn't seem to be able to really do that or be the backup PG anymore so he comes back at a different role IMO. A big is always welcome as well. No big names but key pieces, say when we added a Barry, Claxton or Horry.

3 Legged Dog
06-23-2013, 03:58 PM
Translation? Even though Timmy and Manu are getting older by the minute, Tony seems to physically fade every year late in the playoffs, Danny Green choked in games 6 & 7 and Splitter is unbelievably piss poor, we don't have anyone (other than Tony) that we can trust to dribble penetrate....... We're not going to make significant changes.

Further translation; the Spurs will not go to another finals in he Tim Duncan era.

silverblk mystix
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
Translation:

"Great regular season. Great Corporate knowledge. Great Character players. Zero championships. Another 6 years in a row of playoff flameouts due to CC (CHOKING COACH)"

RD2191
06-23-2013, 05:30 PM
^ truth bomb

Floyd Pacquiao
06-23-2013, 05:37 PM
On Leonard:. He was unbelievable. I don’t even call plays for him,

lol fuk you pop

SenorSpur
06-23-2013, 06:17 PM
I certainly don't fault Pop for being evasive about possible roster plans, upgrades, etc. Only a dumb-ass like Jerry Jones would have such loose lips. Anyway, I would like to see the Spurs continue to develop Cory Joseph into the primary backup PG and ballhandler. He doesn't need to have his development stunted by giving up ball-handling duties to someone else (Manu) when he comes into the game. I'd also like to see the Spurs develop Baynes into a 4th big, while drafting another young big in next week's draft. The upcoming decisions on both Splitter and Manu will be telling.

rascal
06-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I certainly don't fault Pop for being evasive about possible roster plans, upgrades, etc. Only a dumb-ass like Jerry Jones would have such loose lips. Anyway, I would like to see the Spurs continue to develop Cory Joseph into the primary backup PG and ballhandler. He doesn't need to have his development stunted by giving up ball-handling duties to someone else (Manu) when he comes into the game. I'd also like to see the Spurs develop Baynes into a 4th big, while drafting another young big in next week's draft. The upcoming decisions on both Splitter and Manu will be telling.

Not hard to figure what they are doing with Splitter and Manu. They will be coming back and the spurs will pay them well.

therealtruth
06-23-2013, 07:06 PM
He was the only one open , I guess. I'd still trust him to take clutch free throws than Neal. Neal has a history of clanking big foul shots. Manu shouldn't have missed 1 either.

But think about the irony. We had a historical season in free throw shooting percentage and no one could hit clutch free throws to seal the championship?

jag
06-23-2013, 07:14 PM
“So why not try to do it again? That’s what we’re here for. We will or we won’t, but we’ll certainly give it our best effort.”

Hear, hear

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 07:31 PM
Translation:

"Great regular season. Great Corporate knowledge. Great Character players. Zero championships. Another 6 years in a row of playoff flameouts due to CC (CHOKING COACH)"
When you think of it what other team from the 00's is still going without a new team? Kings? Pistons? Lakers? The list goes on and on, but we were in the finals with the same core and some new pieces around them! Thats amazing the longevity they have had from pieces around them, no other team is still even close to being around.

silverblk mystix
06-23-2013, 08:02 PM
When you think of it what other team from the 00's is still going without a new team? Kings? Pistons? Lakers? The list goes on and on, but we were in the finals with the same core and some new pieces around them! Thats amazing the longevity they have had from pieces around them, no other team is still even close to being around.

But the coach prevented them from winning a title - yet.again. 6. years. in. a . fucking. row.

Like I said....great regular season....

ElNono
06-23-2013, 08:09 PM

Agreed. If you think this is bad, wait until the team can't even make the playoffs and the lottery is the only thing exciting in June.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Agreed. If you think this is bad, wait until the team can't even make the playoffs and the lottery is the only thing exciting in June.

Hopefully we get another DUNCAN! One can wish but those guys come along every x amount of years! Hard to find.
But the coach prevented them from winning a title - yet.again. 6. years. in. a . fucking. row.

Like I said....great regular season....

What would another coach do here? We could be gone and done like the other teams I mentioned and coaches etc. who coached them but the Spurs are still here.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 08:47 PM
Hopefully we get another DUNCAN! One can wish but those guys come along every x amount of years! Hard to find.

Exactly. And even if you get great talent, you still need to put a championship caliber team around... for failures, see: Howard's Magic, Lebron's Cavs, etc...

playblair
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM
no facelift needed ................ 1 move needed...............

1. restart blair over splitter...............

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 09:04 PM
no facelift needed just 1change ...................

1. restart blair over splitter...............

And that will do absolutely nothing for our chances at winning.

playblair
06-23-2013, 09:05 PM
^ league is becoming small ball dominated................ blair dominates small ball.............. splitter can not .......................

FromWayDowntown
06-23-2013, 09:07 PM

Please take this sort of glass is half full thinking somewhere else. It's certainly not welcome in this forum at this time.

therealtruth
06-23-2013, 09:10 PM
And that will do absolutely nothing for our chances at winning.

It will guarantee another first round loss.

therealtruth
06-23-2013, 09:11 PM
^ league is becoming small ball dominated................ blair dominates small ball.............. splitter can not .......................

The Warriors used small ball and with Splitter in the lineup against them we went 4-1. The one loss was because Pop benched Splitter.

BackHome
06-23-2013, 09:12 PM
Not hard to figure what they are doing with Splitter and Manu. They will be coming back and the spurs will pay them well.

They going to pay them what they deserve how much don't know but they can make more if they want to go to another team.

cd021
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
But think about the irony. We had a historical season in free throw shooting percentage and no one could hit clutch free throws to seal the championship?

I prefer not too. Irony had fucked with us. Last season we won 20 straight only to get backdoor swept in the WCF. In 04' we won 17 straight and lost 4 straight in the WSF

raybies
06-23-2013, 09:35 PM
My translation, a couple small additions...

james evans
06-24-2013, 03:45 AM
how does popovich get his team to listen to him next season when he let them down in the finals? i just want to see duncan tell him one day, 'fuk this shit" and walk away from him.

jesterbobman
06-24-2013, 04:05 AM
If you watch the interview, Pop basically says that the process of how the Spurs go about their business isn't going to change(They got really close to a title, it's better than a lot of teams, and it's worked for long enough to not be a fluke).

Every question about Cap space he deflected, saying he's not RC.

Pop and RC operate behind 32 locks, an encyption system, 7 Kawhi-bot security guards and an added Duncan screen of security. They don't let anything out that they don't want to let out.

rascal
06-24-2013, 04:29 AM
If you watch the interview, Pop basically says that the process of how the Spurs go about their business isn't going to change(They got really close to a title, it's better than a lot of teams, and it's worked for long enough to not be a fluke).

Every question about Cap space he deflected, saying he's not RC.

Pop and RC operate behind 32 locks, an encyption system, 7 Kawhi-bot security guards and an added Duncan screen of security. They don't let anything out that they don't want to let out.

If the system is to win titles I would say it has not worked for the last 6 years. Miami and the Lakers have a better system.

CosmicCowboy
06-24-2013, 06:56 AM
it's pretty obvious we need a quality big guy that can pair up with Tim, and that guy is not Tiago Splitter. Backup SF and PG are also needed. They'll have 20 millions so they should spend it well.

;lol @ the Splitter hate. Splitter didn't match up with Miami but you forget the 90 or so games leading up to the finals. We will not get better talent at Splitter's price.

CosmicCowboy
06-24-2013, 07:01 AM
If the system is to win titles I would say it has not worked for the last 6 years. Miami and the Lakers have a better system.

Money does not = system.

It is still a business.

Laker payroll $99,933,801

Miami payroll $83, 011,232

Spurs payroll $69,787,704

Texas_Ranger
06-24-2013, 08:03 AM
;lol @ the Splitter hate. Splitter didn't match up with Miami but you forget the 90 or so games leading up to the finals. We will not get better talent at Splitter's price.

I did like him in the regular season. He also played pretty good defense in the playoffs, especially against Memphis. The problem is that his offense sucks. He scores 95% of his baskets from pick n' roles by Manu or Tony and once a game he posts up. Also he's 6'11 and can't jump, rebound and looks soft. He was pathetic with 3 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Now I don't mind him staying on this team for a reasonable price, but there are better bigs that can be signed.

silverblk mystix
06-24-2013, 08:14 AM
I did like him in the regular season. He also played pretty good defense in the playoffs, especially against Memphis. The problem is that his offense sucks. He scores 95% of his baskets from pick n' roles by Manu or Tony and once a game he posts up. Also he's 6'11 and can't jump, rebound and looks soft. He was pathetic with 3 rebounds per game in the playoffs. Now I don't mind him staying on this team for a reasonable price, but there are better bigs that can be signed.

The coach certainly didn't help.

TD/Tiago - best big man defensive rating in the NBA. In the Finals - genius coach Pop cuts his minutes the moment the younger Spoelstra goes small. Shows Tiago that he has no confidence in the top rated NBA defensive tandem and then plays him sparingly if at all the rest of the way.

First two seasons - (according to Spurstalk experts and Popsuckers - Tiago was always injured and sucked balls) - This season Tiago (with some playing time) "improves"...lol

In the Finals - with next to no playing time due to Coach Panic - Tiago sucks again!!

Brilliant.

Drom John
06-24-2013, 08:59 AM
<Quote>On Leonard:

“He’s basically a senior in college, and he went through the Finals as if he was going to HEB to pick up dinner.<Quote>

HEB need Leonard in their commercials.

coachmac87
06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Only way there is a face lift is Manu retires.

Capt Bringdown
06-24-2013, 09:06 AM
Pop loves to preach stay the course and pound the rock. Except that in the finals he panicked and went away with what got us there.
When the cards were on the table he let Miami dictate small ball and bet the season on Manu's ineptitude. Not to mention benching his hall of famer when the championship was on the line.

Pop really enjoys puffing himself up with such comments as "they've been saying we need to get younger for 15 years," as if he's some Mt Rushmore of reasonableness. But honestly, how many other championship caliber coaches would bench their hall of famer at the most critical juncture of the finals and not pull Manu after his, I don't know, 4th, 5th... turnover?

I like Pop, but don't care for his false humility, false preacher act.

rascal
06-24-2013, 09:08 AM
Money does not = system.

It is still a business.

Laker payroll $99,933,801

Miami payroll $83, 011,232

Spurs payroll $69,787,704

system= method of doing things= Surround your team with high priced stars = money =titles

Miami is proof of that. Lakers also have a history of buying titles by acquiring stars.

SpursFanInAustin
06-24-2013, 09:46 AM
system= method of doing things= Surround your team with high priced stars = money =titles

Miami is proof of that. Lakers also have a history of buying titles by acquiring stars.

Haven't you figured out that no stars want to sign with the Spurs, no matter how much money the Spurs have? They've already tried to sign a superstar in 2003 when they went after Jason Kidd and Jermaine O'Neal and none of them wanted to come here. They even tried for sloppy seconds like Karl Malone and PJ Brown and even they said no. All they ended up with was Rasho Nesterovic, Robert Horry, and Hedo Turkoglu. The biggest name the Spurs have acquired via free agency was Michael Finley in 2005. The Spurs will never be able to acquire superstars because no superstar wants to play in small market San Antonio, and a lot of them don't want to be coached by Pop, meaning they'd rather be coddled than have a coach tell it like it is when things aren't going right.

ThaBigFundamental21
06-24-2013, 10:27 AM
What about a sign and trade with Tiago at some point this season? When the trade deadline draws near dump him.

AchillesHeel
06-24-2013, 10:30 AM
What about a sign and trade with Tiago at some point this season? When the trade deadline draws near dump him.

Who wants him? he's a scrub. Did shit against Miami, who has no big men.

70th Week
06-24-2013, 11:21 AM
Give me Nate Robinson at backup PG
I'll take JJ Redick at SG (coming from a UNC fan that one was tough to type)
Big Al from Utah at Center

And that is a reasonable request with the available money the Spurs now have if Blair,Manu, Splitter and Diaw numbers come off the books.

TheGreatYacht
06-24-2013, 01:21 PM
Give me Nate Robinson at backup PG
I'll take JJ Redick at SG (coming from a UNC fan that one was tough to type)
Big Al from Utah at Center

And that is a reasonable request with the available money the Spurs now have if Blair,Manu, Splitter and Diaw numbers come off the books.Bingo. Manu is the biggest obstacle at this point. The dilemma for the FO and most of the Manu lovers on these forums is YOUTH VS LOYALTY .

70th Week
06-24-2013, 01:25 PM
Yep. Throw those 3 in with the new big 3...wow..(new big 3 being TD, TP, and Leonard.)

Gervin44Silas13
06-24-2013, 01:30 PM
They better make some moves quick....Bonner Blair....Goodbye....Manu take a paycut...sit ya ass down when we need you.... work on ball handing skills
Green stop acting like your sick....practice protecting the ball....and learn to drive......

therealtruth
06-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Pop loves to preach stay the course and pound the rock. Except that in the finals he panicked and went away with what got us there.
When the cards were on the table he let Miami dictate small ball and bet the season on Manu's ineptitude. Not to mention benching his hall of famer when the championship was on the line.

Pop really enjoys puffing himself up with such comments as "they've been saying we need to get younger for 15 years," as if he's some Mt Rushmore of reasonableness. But honestly, how many other championship caliber coaches would bench their hall of famer at the most critical juncture of the finals and not pull Manu after his, I don't know, 4th, 5th... turnover?

I like Pop, but don't care for his false humility, false preacher act.

I can't get Pop's hypocrisy either. I have no problem losing with the formula that gave us one of the best defenses in the NBA. I have a problem losing by trying to play better small ball than the Heat. It seems like everytime Pop has tried to beat another team with small ball it's failed like in '06. Much better to trust your defense and ball movement.

spurraider21
06-24-2013, 10:26 PM
i like how even though we all read this, we are actively pounding the debate desk on threads about dwight howard, lamarcus aldridge, and which big name big man we will acquire :lol

ElNono
07-07-2013, 02:26 PM
:pop: "Damn I was right"

:lol

SpursDynasty21
07-07-2013, 02:35 PM
If the Spurs really wanted to, they might have been able to make an effort to sign Dwight Howard. I wonder if the Spurs are done for the offseason now. I like the Belinelli signing and keeping the core together for a few more seasons, but I'm not a fan of the Pendergraph signing or the Splitter re-signing.

Agloco
07-07-2013, 02:39 PM

It's always easy to dictate what other people should do with their time/money. Always.

tesseractive
07-07-2013, 02:51 PM

lol Miami's system is for the city to be an attractive landing spot for free agents who can go anywhere. So I guess the key for the Spurs is to rebuild the city of San Antonio to make it more glamorous. I'm sure they'll get right on that. :lol

spurraider21
07-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I don't think adding Ak to our roster would be considered a facelift unless it included us getting rid of a key cog like Tiago or manu

Mel_13
07-07-2013, 03:22 PM
lol at the classic rascal bads in this thread.

kobyz
07-07-2013, 04:07 PM
i tolt you, that last finals experience ruin everything, messed up everyone that part of Spurs organization... this off season they had a unique chance to bring great addition and much needed upgrade to the team to give Timmy a must support for possibly his last run for a title... instead Spurs screw all up and miss amazing opportunity that they had in their hands, but i guss it was expected and we should used to it after the finals and game 6...