PDA

View Full Version : Translation: Manu interview post game 7

ElNono
06-23-2013, 03:27 AM
- What's your balance?

I don't know. I don't feel like doing balances right now. I do know that when the difference between winning the championship and losing it is a rebound, a shot, it's hard to be critical. If they would've missed one of those two shots or wouldn't have grabbed one of those rebounds, we would all be heroes now. They were inspired and beat us fairly; I shake their hands and congratulate them because they played better. But we all have Game 6 in our heads. It hurts. It's an ugly moment. On a player's career it happens many times. It happened to me in Indianapolis [2002 Worlds], in Japan [2006 Worlds]...

- Are you coming back for revenge?

Yeah, I would think so. I don't know; Right now I don't even feel like thinking, nothing. Honestly it was a couple of really fucked up days, and my head is like a blender. From game 6 to 7, here, you can have them. You live those days. The remorse, reviewing every play a thousand times... I couldn't sleep, and I kept analyzing what could I do better, and I knew that if we lost Game 7 I was going to rethink a lot of things, to get mad at the mistakes without being able to fix them... So I want to be with my family, rest...

- Did the previous game influence this game?

Not me, at all. The opposite: it made me better. You have that anger, that determination, that makes you play better. But what happened today is done, it doesn't affect me. Now is when I think about Game 6. We had it won. They're phenomenal, the stars, and we could've been there. Easily. It was a coin toss. And that's what pisses me off. Because if we lose Game 6 by 20 and today like this, I would've shaken their hands without a problem because they played better and they beat me. But when it's like this, such a fine line, it hurts, and it make you rethink a lot of things...

- Are you proud about what San Antonio did this season?

Right now, no. In a week, or maybe a couple of days, we'll realize we had a phenomenal season. Every year they count us out, and we're still here. And I repeat: we didn't win games by miracle. It would've been memorable. A huge reward to Pop, to Tim at 37 years old, and this whole team of hard working people, because we don't have a Lebron, a Durant or a Kobe. We have to pass the ball, work hard... I'm proud of what we did, but... they have the trophy.

- Can you think that you won 3 titles, reached a 4th Finals...?

Yeah, sure, when I'm 50 I'll think about that and feel proud. Today I can't; I'm sad, disappointed. It would've been incredible and very emotional as a team to beat the champs, on their home... I'll put it in perspective in time; right now it's complicated.

- Can you give us a definitive answer about your plans for the future?

No, it's not the moment. I'm very disappointed, very angry. I really can't say anything about that.

- Is this one of those things you keep regretting 15, 20 years later?

Yes. Yes. I had a bunch of those with the national team, with the Spurs. It's so fine the line between celebrating and this thing of feeling abysmal... We were so close to winning... One shot that can make everything look like failure or success. I'm trying to put perspective on things, but it's very tough. And the next few days are going to be really tough.

Original article in Spanish (http://www.lanacion.com.ar/1594440-creeria-que-voy-a-volver-por-la-revancha)

Don't shoot the messenger, and excuse any typos.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 03:32 AM
If winning titles were easy without really though losses like in 2004, 2006 and 2013, winning wouldn't be that great.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 03:33 AM
And thanks for the translation.

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Damn you know this is eating away at Manu. He knows he played terrible for the most part. Manu's the ultimate competitor. One of the most competitive dude's in the league. This will haunt him for a long time. Hopefully he returns next season and redeems himself.

ace3g
06-23-2013, 04:00 AM
We can only hope for another '04, '06 "revenge" season just sucks this time we have to get revenge for a Finals loss.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 04:06 AM
I'll tack this here too... from the same newspaper... only translated the most well known ones...

A model of professional that provokes admiration

These are some quotes La Nación collected during the Finals:

CHRIS BOSH, Miami Heat player: "He's one of the best foreigners that have played this game. He won here, across the ocean, with his national team... When other foreigners saw his success in the NBA, they tried to copy his imprint"

TIAGO SPLITTER, San Antonio Spurs player: "Manu is key in this team. Without him it's hard to play well. He has a very special style of play, a way to see the game. He's one of the leaders, along with Tim [Duncan] and Tony [Parker]. And Manu from the bench, on the court or on the lockeroom always tells us details that he sees, but a lot of other people don't. He thinks about basketball all the time, how to win the next game, how we're going to cover the pick and roll, how we're going to attack it... He's very centered. We talk about a lot of things: astronomy, food, cars, and some soccer... I'm not going to say girls, because my wife is gonna kill me"

DAVID STERN, NBA commissioner: "He's the representative of a country that has given us great players. He's been at the top of Olympic podium. It's been a pleasure to watch him lead Team Argentina. He makes tough shots in important games when you think San Antonio already lost. Being with him is a pleasure. And the way he represented Argentina, his style of play, and the way those argentines played for so many years together, in some way inspired what happened with out national team. We have a debt of gratitude with them."

MIKE MILLER, Miami Heat player: "He's fantastic. He brought experience, change to the game, made new people watch it. He was successful internationally and in the NBA. And he's an exciting player to watch"

MATT BONNER, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's an all time great. He won an olympic gold medal, international competitions, NBA... He's one of the best foreign players"

RAY ALLEN, Miami Heat player: "He's been great for the Spurs. A powerhouse on the court"

MIKE MONROE, San Antonio Express journalist: "He was one of the first foreigners to become a star, after Drazen Petrovic, who died tragically at the peak of his career. Manu had a major impact for the Spurs and for San Antonio, where he is beloved. And he's one of the two or three most competitive players I've seen in my 28 years in the NBA. Michel Jordan, John Stockton and Manu. People consider Jordan the most competitive in this game; I'm not so sure that Manu isn't as competitive like Michael. To me, his legacy is how hard he plays every second. Drazen was going to be an All Star for many years, a great scorer. But I think Manu is the best foreigner that played in the NBA. He paved the way for a lot of other foreigners. Maybe in the future somebody else will be better... but maybe not."

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS, Los Angeles Clippers player and winner of 2013 Teammate of the Year award: "Manu is one of the great players of our era, one of the great champions of our era, a great person. He deserves this award as much as me. He represents his country very well here. He's a tough player, but I never saw him do anything dirty. I like to compete against him"

BORIS DIAW, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "Because of his career in the NBA, as an international player and with Argentina, and because of the way he plays the game, he's a model to follow. His professionalism is huge. And outside the court he's a nice guy, that you can dine with, relax"

UDONIS HASLEM, Miami Heat player: "He's a heck of a player. One of the most successful I've seen in a long while. The way he creates, the way he finishes plays. He's explosive, a great play maker... I enjoy watching him play. In Miami we understand he's dangerous, so we pay a lot of attention to him"

NANDO DE COLO, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's a good teammate. The first time I saw him was in the Olympics in London. He came over to welcome me into the family. He's a very good guy".

PATTY MILLS, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's a classy player. The way he handles himself inside and outside the court makes him a basketball ambassador"

Original article in Spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1594683-un-modelo-de-profesional-que-causa-admiracion)

rmt
06-23-2013, 04:12 AM
I'll tack this here too... from the same newspaper... only translated the most well known ones...

CHRIS BOSH, Miami Heat player: "He's one of the best foreigners that have played this game. He won here, across the ocean, with his national team... When other foreigners saw his success in the NBA, they tried to copy his imprint"

TIAGO SPLITTER, San Antonio Spurs player: "Manu is key in this team. Without him it's hard to play well. He has a very special style of play, a way to see the game. He's one of the leaders, along with Tim [Duncan] and Tony [Parker]. And Manu from the bench, on the court or on the lockeroom always tells us details that he sees, but a lot of other people don't. He thinks about basketball all the time, how to win the next game, how we're going to cover the pick and roll, how we're going to attack it... He's very centered. We talk about a lot of things: astronomy, food, cars, and some soccer... I'm not going to say girls, because my wife is gonna kill me"

DAVID STERN, NBA commissioner: "He's the representative of a country that has given us great players. He's been at the top of Olympic podium. It's been a pleasure to watch him lead Team Argentina. He makes tough shots in important games when you think San Antonio already lost. Being with him is a pleasure. And the way he represented Argentina, his style of play, and the way those argentines played for so many years together, in some way inspired what happened with out national team. We have a debt of gratitude with them."

MIKE MILLER, Miami Heat player: "He's fantastic. He brought experience, change to the game, made new people watch it. He was successful internationally and in the NBA. And he's an exciting player to watch"

MATT BONNER, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's an all time great. He won an olympic gold medal, international competitions, NBA... He's one of the best foreign players"

RAY ALLEN, Miami Heat player: "He's been great for the Spurs. A powerhouse on the court"

MIKE MONROE, San Antonio Express journalist: "He was one of the first foreigners to become a star, after Drazen Petrovic, who died tragically at the peak of his career. Manu had a major impact for the Spurs and for San Antonio, where he is beloved. And he's one of the two or three most competitive players I've seen in my 28 years in the NBA. Michel Jordan, John Stockton and Manu. People consider Jordan the most competitive in this game; I'm not so sure that Manu isn't as competitive like Michael. To me, his legacy is how hard he plays every second. Drazen was going to be an All Star for many years, a great scorer. But I think Manu is the best foreigner that played in the NBA. He paved the way for a lot of other foreigners. Maybe in the future somebody else will be better... but maybe not."

CHAUNCEY BILLUPS, Los Angeles Clippers player and winner of 2013 Teammate of the Year award: "Manu is one of the great players of our era, one of the great champions of our era, a great person. He deserves this award as much as me. He represents his country very well here. He's a tough player, but I never saw him do anything dirty. I like to compete against him"

BORIS DIAW, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "Because of his career in the NBA, as an international player and with Argentina, and because of the way he plays the game, he's a model to follow. His professionalism is huge. And outside the court he's a nice guy, that you can dine with, relax"

UDONIS HASLEM, Miami Heat player: "He's a heck of a player. One of the most successful I've seen in a long while. The way he creates, the way he finishes plays. He's explosive, a great play maker... I enjoy watching him play. In Miami we understand he's dangerous, so we pay a lot of attention to him"

NANDO DE COLO, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's a good teammate. The first time I saw him was in the Olympics in London. He came over to welcome me into the family. He's a very good guy".

PATTY MILLS, teammate in San Antonio Spurs: "He's a classy player. The way he handles himself inside and outside the court makes him a basketball ambassador"

Original article in Spanish (http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1594683-un-modelo-de-profesional-que-causa-admiracion)

LOL

HI-FI
06-23-2013, 04:22 AM

another one from the link

BILL BUCKNER, mentor: "I envy his carelessness and pizazz."

sorry.

kobyz
06-23-2013, 04:25 AM
i truly belive that this disappointment is other kind, different level of all disappointments that were ever as been in sports in all times, will bring bad feeling that will not end, damage to the joy of life, will rub off somthing inside of you for the rest of your life without possibility to totally recover from.

kobyz
06-23-2013, 04:27 AM
If winning titles were easy without really though losses like in 2004, 2006 and 2013, winning wouldn't be that great.

you can't put 2004, 2006 with 2013 in the same sentence, you just can't! there a lot components that make it way different, 2013 were like dying!!

Spursfanfromafar
06-23-2013, 04:46 AM
If we crazy Spurs fans can be so upset about the Spurs' inability to win an almost won series.. imagine how Manu Ginobili, one of the most competitive sportspersons ever and the winningest player in the NBA currently (check his overall winning %) feels. It must be sickening.

I wish that Manu bottles up all that frustration and gets motivated to come back again for atleast one more year and more drive for his FOUR and the Spurs' FIVE.. and improve upon his play and health. And that he understands the state of his game and health and adjusts accordingly and becomes a valuable role player for the Spurs.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 05:00 AM
If we crazy Spurs fans can be so upset about the Spurs' inability to win an almost won series.. imagine how Manu Ginobili, one of the most competitive sportspersons ever and the winningest player in the NBA currently (check his overall winning %) feels. It must be sickening.
I wish that Manu bottles up all that frustration and gets motivated to come back again for atleast one more year and more drive for his FOUR and the Spurs' FIVE.. and improve upon his play and health. And that he understands the state of his game and health and adjusts accordingly and becomes a valuable role player for the Spurs.I have no problem with him returning to the team as long as he allows the FO to sign the necessary components such as a backup PG and possibly a better big man than softy Tiago Splitter.

Manu will also have to accept the fact that Kawhi Leonard now took his spot as part of the Big 3. Manu will have to reduce his role on the team to that of a roll player and take the necessary pay cut to assemble the best team possible. He also needs to focus on improving his shooting with Chip Engelland. Manu will be better off becoming a spot up shooter and he needs to recover that FT % that he once had not too long ago. I think that Manu is more than capable on improving his shooting.

Otherwise then he can retire. If he does play then NO MORE PLAYING FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM.

pookenstein
06-23-2013, 05:01 AM
MIKE MONROE, San Antonio Express journalist: "He was one of the first foreigners to become a star, after Drazen Petrovic, who died tragically at the peak of his career. Manu had a major impact for the Spurs and for San Antonio, where he is beloved... Drazen was going to be an All Star for many years, a great scorer. But I think Manu is the best foreigner that played in the NBA. He paved the way for a lot of other foreigners. Maybe in the future somebody else will be better... but maybe not."

Come on, Mike. A little less homerism. I love Manu, but he's clearly not better than Dirk.

temujin
06-23-2013, 05:01 AM

:clap

playbonner15
06-23-2013, 06:05 AM
You can see from the way Manu moves that his body can't do what his brain wants him to do. You can relate to this when you're too tired or old and you make lots of mistakes that you don't normally make when you're young and refreshed. The problem with Manu is his mistakes will cost the Spurs games that they need to win. The best solution is for the FO to choose Manu's replacement as early as possible and for Manu to sit on the bench or coach from the sidelines.

apalisoc_9
06-23-2013, 06:10 AM
Thanks for the translation El-Nono.

Hope Manu re-sign with the spurs. We need a guy like him to give us another shot a tittle.

Ice009
06-23-2013, 07:35 AM
I think Manu needs to look at his diet very closely and make changes there if needed. That is very important at his current age, then after that he needs to work on his body (while also taking the appropriate amount of rest) in the off season and try and get it in really good shape. I think if he does this then he can come back really strong next season.

I definitely want him back, but also I want him to help the Spurs financially so they have the flexibility to sign someone else that can really help.

Ocotillo
06-23-2013, 07:58 AM
LOL, Boris finds away to get eating in his comment about Manu.

BillMc
06-23-2013, 09:05 AM
Come on, Mike. A little less homerism. I love Manu, but he's clearly not better than Dirk.

Or Hakeem.

rmt
06-23-2013, 09:32 AM
People can blame his age/loss of athleticism all they want. He has declined substantially even at the free throw line (which has nothing to do with age). His career free throw % is 83.2%. The last 7 seasons:

86% 06-07
86% 07-08
88.4% 08-09
87% 09-10
87.1% 10-11
87.1% 11-12
79.6% 12-13

His career playoff free-throw is 81.6%. 12-13 playoffs - 73.8%. SHOCKING.

texmich
06-23-2013, 10:14 AM

http://s3.amazonaws.com/omgicu/images/story_images/7106/twoup.JPG?1299886373

CGD
06-23-2013, 10:26 AM
Get it right, it's "dining."

John Petrucci
06-23-2013, 10:49 AM

Appreciate the thought, but hadn't we had enough before 2013? :(

Thanks for the translation, OP.

MannyIsGod
06-23-2013, 10:56 AM
We can only hope for another '04, '06 "revenge" season just sucks this time we have to get revenge for a Finals loss.

No way in hell I"m hoping for 07 or 05 Manu because that Manu is NOT coming back.

jjktkk
06-23-2013, 11:00 AM
Great article, thanks for sharing El. :tu

Bruno
06-23-2013, 11:19 AM
Appreciate the thought, but hadn't we had enough before 2013? :(

We had some lucky break too like Game 5 against Detroit in 2005 and in 2007 against Phoenix. At the end, I don't find Spurs have been especially lucky or unlucky in the Duncan's era.

John Petrucci
06-23-2013, 11:22 AM
We had some lucky break too like Game 5 against Detroit in 2005 and in 2007 against Phoenix. At the end, I don't find Spurs have been especially lucky or unlucky in the Duncan's era.

You're right. Overall I agree when I think about the whole run :toast This new loss is just so brutal.

Spursfanfromafar
06-23-2013, 11:35 AM
I have no problem with him returning to the team as long as he allows the FO to sign the necessary components such as a backup PG and possibly a better big man than softy Tiago Splitter.

Manu will also have to accept the fact that Kawhi Leonard now took his spot as part of the Big 3. Manu will have to reduce his role on the team to that of a roll player and take the necessary pay cut to assemble the best team possible. He also needs to focus on improving his shooting with Chip Engelland. Manu will be better off becoming a spot up shooter and he needs to recover that FT % that he once had not too long ago. I think that Manu is more than capable on improving his shooting.

Otherwise then he can retire. If he does play then NO MORE PLAYING FOR THE NATIONAL TEAM.

He owes us fans, especially some random buffoon who possibly has never touched a basketball, nothing.

Manu deserves to be paid what he will be due - a Top Shooting Guard in his advanced age in the league. Any contract from $4 million -$6 million for two years each is par for course. And he will play for his national team if he wants and has the health to do so. He is an Argentine and he is a patriot.

And he will make the necessary improvements to fit as a role player once he recovers his health and rhythm back.

dunkman
06-23-2013, 11:53 AM
The Spurs rely too much on Manu. He's always injured or makes mistakes. It's a very similar problem like relying on Bonner. Pop became too stubborn at some point.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 12:13 PM
He owes us fans, especially some random buffoon who possibly has never touched a basketball, nothing.

Manu deserves to be paid what he will be due - a Top Shooting Guard in his advanced age in the league. Any contract from $4 million -$6 million for two years each is par for course. And he will play for his national team if he wants and has the health to do so. He is an Argentine and he is a patriot.

And he will make the necessary improvements to fit as a role player once he recovers his health and rhythm back.Once again, someone that can't let go of the past.
I think Manu needs to look at his diet very closely and make changes there if needed. That is very important at his current age, then after that he needs to work on his body (while also taking the appropriate amount of rest) in the off season and try and get it in really good shape. I think if he does this then he can come back really strong next season.

I definitely want him back, but also I want him to help the Spurs financially so they have the flexibility to sign someone else that can really help.This.

He needs to get some advice from Tim Duncan and do some drastic changes to his diet and body if he wants to contribute to the Spurs next year. Manu needs to work a lot on his lower body. He needs to strengthen his quadriceps, hamstrings, and leg biceps. Leg curls?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qJGl3rtLF18

Spursfanfromafar
06-23-2013, 12:16 PM
Once again, someone that can't let go of the past.

I am very much rooted in the present, unlike some dumbos who make Manu to be equal to someone from the Bobcats. Despite his underwhelming performance, Manu's PER, WS etc were far higher than someone like Joe Johnson who is going to be paid another 70-80 million in the next three years.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 12:38 PM
To determine what is a fair contract for Ginobili, you must not only look at his current level but at how it will realistically evolved in the future. Given his age, the logical expectation is that Manu will get worst each year. If you give Manu a 2 years contract, it's likely that the 2014-2015 version of Ginobili end up being significantly worse than what he did this year. A 2012-2013 Ginobili value might be $6M or $8M per year but I somewhat doubt he will be worth that in 2014-2015.

therealtruth
06-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Why didn't they ask him why he missed the free throw? He never missed free throws like that in the past.