PDA

View Full Version : My sales pitch to Dwight Howard!

DMX7
06-23-2013, 12:49 PM
You won't have to go up again Aron Baynes anymore! :lol

Dat beast be out yo way, fool! :hat

poeticism707
06-23-2013, 01:50 PM
Why WOULD ANY SPURS FAN WANT A SOFTIE SEVEN FOOTER, WHO IS TEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN TD, BUT TEN TIMES MORE INJURED, AND WHO DUNCAN IS TEN TIMES BETTER THAN (NOT CAREER, THAT'S OBVIOUS, I MEAN RIGHT NOW)?
I just don't get it.

SpursFan86
06-23-2013, 01:52 PM
Why WOULD ANY SPURS FAN WANT A SOFTIE SEVEN FOOTER, WHO IS TEN YEARS YOUNGER THAN TD, BUT TEN TIMES MORE INJURED, AND WHO DUNCAN IS TEN TIMES BETTER THAN (NOT CAREER, THAT'S OBVIOUS, I MEAN RIGHT NOW?
I just don't get it.

You seriously need us to explain why picking up Dwight Howard would help out the Spurs?

elmanutres
06-23-2013, 01:54 PM
until he grows up and gets serious, not interested. Maybe he will turnaround and have a spur-like attitude but it's probably not going to happen

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 01:59 PM
It's not happening..... Enough with these threads.

poeticism707
06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
DH is a scrub, not even worh 5 mil a year to the Spurs. Can't hit free throws, no post game, no more crazy athleticism since back surgery, and he has a loser, ten year old attitude, lol.
No, never, not if he was playing for free.

dunkman
06-23-2013, 03:58 PM
He's a big improvement over Splitter. Neither Splitter has a good post game, can shoot ft's or is athletic. Howard is slightly defending the p&r, can't be overpowered in the post, is much better blocking shots and is a great rebounder. Dwight also can log +35 mpg. If Splitter commands something around 8-10M per season, Dwight is worth around 12-15M.

Dwight and Duncan will complement each other very well. Duncan could play PF on offense and guard the other team C on defense, while Dwight could play C on offense and guard the other team PF on defense.

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 04:02 PM

its the offseason. last summer it was all about signing KG and pairing him with Duncan

ThaBigFundamental21
06-23-2013, 04:05 PM
its the offseason. last summer it was all about signing KG and pairing him with Duncan

Lol, that was comical.

Sean Cagney
06-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Basically......

Bruno
06-23-2013, 04:52 PM
From everything I read, it seems that Dwight will take his team to pick his new team and listen at all the teams interested in him.

So, providing Spurs are interested in him but they are a long shot at getting him, it draws a tactical question: do you try to get him or do you go directly after more realistic FA targets?

On the one hand, you might think other main free agents will wait Howard decision before picking their team because Howard's sweepstakes losers will have a lot of money to offer. Going after Howard shouldn't hurt other options.
On the other hand, if Spurs said on July 1st to a player like Millsap: "you are our first option, we can agree to a contract today", it would be a strong move that would give them an edge over teams that are focused on Howard.

If I'm' Spurs, unless I got feedbacks that Howard is truly interested in Spurs, I won't waste my time on going after him and all the circus that will be around his signing.

3 Legged Dog
06-23-2013, 04:59 PM

With all due respect, you could certainly just not participate in threads like this. Just sayin'

Kobulingam
06-23-2013, 05:01 PM
You guys are stupid? How is he soft?

He will be in beast mode next year (1 year to recover from back surgery).

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 05:03 PM
From everything I read, it seems that Dwight will take his team to pick his new team and listen at all the teams interested in him.

So, providing Spurs are interested in him but they are a long shot at getting him, it draws a tactical question: do you try to get him or do you go directly after more realistic FA targets?

On the one hand, you might think other main free agents will wait Howard decision before picking their team because Howard's sweepstakes losers will have a lot of money to offer. Going after Howard shouldn't hurt other options.
On the other hand, if Spurs said on July 1st to a player like Millsap: "you are our first option, we can agree to a contract today", it would be a strong move that would give them an edge over teams that are focused on Howard.

If I'm' Spurs, unless I got feedbacks that Howard is truly interested in Spurs, I won't waste my time on going after him and all the circus that will be around his signing.Stop with this Millsap BS. The guy is a midget. You are infatuated with Millsap as I am with Jarrett Jack.

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-23-2013, 05:04 PM
It's Dwight Howard. He isn't stepping anywhere near a small-market team like the Spurs.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 05:10 PM
Stop with this Millsap BS. The guy is a midget.

Well, no, I won't.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2013, 05:12 PM
Well, no, I won't.

Bruno, is it Tiago or Millsap or they can sign both?

Bruno
06-23-2013, 05:19 PM
Bruno, is it Tiago or Millsap or they can sign both?

Both with Millsap having a contract starting at about $8M/$9M.
I'm also really not high on a player like Millsap but when you compute how various free agents will fit with Spurs and the financial numbers, Millsap is my first target. For example, I consider a player like Al Jefferson way better than Millsap but he doesn't really fit with Spurs roster and he would be too expensive to keep Tiago.

Spurs Brazil
06-23-2013, 05:21 PM
Both with Millsap having a contract starting at about $8M/$9M.
I'm also really not high on a player like Millsap but when you compute how various free agents will fit with Spurs and the financial numbers, Millsap is my first target. For example, I consider a player like Al Jefferson way better than Millsap but he doesn't really fit with Spurs roster and he would be too expensive to keep Tiago.

Thanks, with that $8m/$9M, how much is left to sign Tiago?

HI-FI
06-23-2013, 05:34 PM
I'm a big Millsap fan as well, though clearly he's not a D12. Like Bruno said, there could be some serious steals while everyone is focused over the big prize, Howard.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 05:35 PM
Thanks, with that $8m/$9M, how much is left to sign Tiago?

Splitter new contract isn't a factor. Spurs could even theoretically sign him to a max contract. The limiting factor would be Manu's new contract. Spurs would have $13M/$14M to split between Manu and Millsap.

Knoxxx
06-23-2013, 05:41 PM
Bottom line is Milsap makes our team better. My new wet dream is signing Milsap/Splitter/Jack all for $20 million. Sounds crazy until you consider that's $6.7 million each, and I would like to see the Spurs throw more money than that at any of them except Milsap. Bottom line this should be workable, say $8 million Milsap $6 million apiece for the others two or some varation.

As has been stated, Manu can go with the cap exception $5.4 million for 2 years or retire.

DPG21920
06-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Splitter new contract isn't a factor. Spurs could even theoretically sign him to a max contract. The limiting factor would be Manu's new contract. Spurs would have $13M/$14M to split between Manu and Millsap.

Is this number assuming Diaw opts out, Bonner is waived/traded for cap space/Mills opts out?

TD 21
06-23-2013, 05:57 PM

You said $12.4M a few weeks ago; what changed? Or are you just operating under the assumption that either Mills opts out, they let De Colo out of his contract to return to Europe or they trade one of them?

To have a realistic shot at Millsap, they're going to have to be able to have at least $8M leftover after signing Ginobili. Even if Ginobili does what Duncan did and takes whatever is leftover after they make their other moves, there's still going to be a floor to what he'd accept, I'd imagine. For Duncan, it was probably exactly what he got. For Ginobili, I think it'll be $6M.

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 05:58 PM
It would be foolish for the Spurs brass to not at least sniff around Howard's camp to see if anything is there. As far as OP's question and making a pitch?

1) This is literally the one place Dwight would go that would repair his image and put the circus to a standstill. Look at how the Tebow circus is essentially dead with him in New England. The Spurs would offer that same sort of veil so the media would no longer be hounding Dwight's every move, and he can just work and focus on basketball.

2) This is also the easily best fit "basketball wise" as Dwight is talking about. Dwight joining the Spurs would vault them into instant favorites. While being named preseason favorites (as he saw in LA) doesn't always mean everything, there is no doubt that this current Spurs squad gives him the best chance to win now. He has a coach that will appreciate his defensive prowess (unlike D'Antoni) and another big next to him that will help him out on defense, which he hasn't had anywhere else. We also have the perimeter spacing which would deter defenses from collapsing on him like the Spurs did in the first round

3) Passage of the proverbial torch. While he is nowhere near the pedigree of Robinson or Duncan, he would be the new big in San Antonio. Unlike Kobe, I'm sure Tim would be willing to share with Dwight. We also have young pieces like Leonard, Green that would be appealing to a defensive minded center like Dwight.

4) No state income tax :hat

Bruno
06-23-2013, 06:12 PM
Is this number assuming Diaw opts out, Bonner is waived/traded for cap space/Mills opts out?

that's with Diaw and Mills opting in, Bonner amnestied, Neal not kept.

Mark in Austin
06-23-2013, 06:14 PM
My sales pitch to Dwight:

Stay the fuck away you equivocating motherfucker. Go play for a team that doesn't have the balls to call you on your bullshit. The first time Pop lays into you for goofing off it's going to make you cry.

Bruno
06-23-2013, 06:20 PM
You said $12.4M a few weeks ago; what changed? Or are you just operating under the assumption that either Mills opts out, they let De Colo out of his contract to return to Europe or they trade one of them?

If Spurs draft and stash a player like Jean-Charles at #28, it will create and additional $0.4M. If you get Millsap with an empty sign and trade like Millsap for 2nd round pick and cash, it creates and additional $0.6M. It put Spurs at $13.4M to split between Millsap and Ginobili. After that, there could also have some little move to do with De Colo, Mills, Neal...

At the end, it's useless to work with a $0.1M precision because the cap isn't exactly known. It will be around $58.5M but it could very well be $58M or $59M.

silverblk mystix
06-23-2013, 06:29 PM
My sales pitch to DHO:

"Don't ever let a rapist like Kobe or a Loser like _antoni tell you what to do! You go back to the lakers and show the rapist who is the boss and you railroad _antoni and demand Pau get traded and then force them to land a coach like Rambis and become the man in lala land! Now go you big pussy and grow a pair!"

texmich
06-23-2013, 06:49 PM
http://0.static.wix.com/media/4866fb_181dd6691b83afcd3a0aa2f680448fe4.jpg_1024 Get him drunk then make him sign

DPG21920
06-23-2013, 07:35 PM
that's with Diaw and Mills opting in, Bonner amnestied, Neal not kept.

Hmmmmm - so in that situation, wouldn't the Spurs have approx ~38M total salaries with Tp/Duncan/Boris/Kawhi/Green/Baynes/Mills/Joesph/Nando? That would equal 20M in cap space, no? They sign Manu/FA with that cap space and then sign Tiago to whatever theoretically no? What am I missing?

Edit: NVM - I'm being a dummy. Tiago's cap hold is like 8M. That would put that number around the 13M you discussed for Manu/FA

tesseractive
06-23-2013, 07:53 PM
It would be foolish for the Spurs brass to not at least sniff around Howard's camp to see if anything is there. As far as OP's question and making a pitch?

1) This is literally the one place Dwight would go that would repair his image and put the circus to a standstill. Look at how the Tebow circus is essentially dead with him in New England. The Spurs would offer that same sort of veil so the media would no longer be hounding Dwight's every move, and he can just work and focus on basketball.

2) This is also the easily best fit "basketball wise" as Dwight is talking about. Dwight joining the Spurs would vault them into instant favorites. While being named preseason favorites (as he saw in LA) doesn't always mean everything, there is no doubt that this current Spurs squad gives him the best chance to win now. He has a coach that will appreciate his defensive prowess (unlike D'Antoni) and another big next to him that will help him out on defense, which he hasn't had anywhere else. We also have the perimeter spacing which would deter defenses from collapsing on him like the Spurs did in the first round

3) Passage of the proverbial torch. While he is nowhere near the pedigree of Robinson or Duncan, he would be the new big in San Antonio. Unlike Kobe, I'm sure Tim would be willing to share with Dwight. We also have young pieces like Leonard, Green that would be appealing to a defensive minded center like Dwight.

4) No state income tax :hat

Houston is a much more obvious destination, and he could repair his image there, too. Let's be real: he's not going to come here.

spurraider21
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
Houston is a much more obvious destination, and he could repair his image there, too. Let's be real: he's not going to come here.

i know. it's the offseason, and its always fun to dream

tesseractive
06-23-2013, 07:56 PM
i know. it's the offseason, and its always fun to dream

Fair enough. :)

Uriel
06-23-2013, 09:51 PM
I don't understand why Spurs fans are so appalled by the idea of signing Dwight Howard; if we succeed in signing him, it would immediately vault us to the status of instant favorites to win the NBA championship.

And it's not like the prospect of him coming here is all that outrageous. We potentially have the cap space to offer him a max contract, so finances shouldn't be a problem; if anything, our chances of signing him compared to other teams for financial reasons are further augmented, due to Texas' lack of state income tax. Plus, if Dwight is serious about starting over, mending his broken image, avoiding media scrutiny, developing his game, winning an NBA championship, and cementing his legacy for years to come, there is literally no better option for him right now than San Antonio.

SilverSpur
06-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Dwight Howard was the way he was last year because of Kobe. I strongly believe he would be held accountable in SA. POP, TIM, MANU and TONY will show him how it is to be professional . I really think his attitude would change just being out of LA.
We as fans and a organization owe it to TIM DUNCAN to go sign Howard. Tim deserves to go out a CHAMPION

Knoxxx
06-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Dwight Howard was the way he was last year because of Kobe. I strongly believe he would be held accountable in SA. POP, TIM, MANU and TONY will show him how it is to be professional . I really think his attitude would change just being out of LA.
We as fans and a organization owe it to TIM DUNCAN to go sign Howard. Tim deserves to go out a CHAMPION

I agree but we want Kobe too for vet min after lakers amnesty him.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 10:23 PM
Getting him here would be one thing but would he learn the heralded system or have to be on the bench?

TheyCallMePro
06-23-2013, 10:45 PM
My pitch: Dwight. Look man, you know that guy you're going to replace? Tiago Splitter? There's no WAY you can be softer than he is. All you have to do is get 1 rebound. 1 Block. And 1 Dunk and boom, Spurs fans will think you're unstoppable. Trust me. You do either one of those things JUST ONCE and Spurs fans will forget Tiago Splitter ever existed. Because he couldn't do any of those things. Not even once.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 10:49 PM
So we need a sales pitch.

1. No state tax so you get to keep more of your money.
2. We have a team that just came from game 7 of the finals
3. built in excuse for suckage right away, "he doesn't know the system"
4. guys that won't throw you under the bus
5. better coaching than what you'll get anywhere else
6. cheap housing

ElNono
06-23-2013, 11:06 PM
Didn't Pop yell and bench this guy at the last All Star game? :lol

cjw
06-24-2013, 12:03 AM
You guys are crazy for thinking he's worth anything less than a max contract. When healthy, he's one of the top 10 players in the game. Id love to have him, but will never happen. We don't have the cap space anyway with the Splitter cap hold even if Manu signs back early and cheap.

siraulo23
06-24-2013, 12:58 AM
Howard Parker Leonard if this has a realistic chNce of happenin in the future wow, obviously it's more than a long shot

Lols at sprs fans not wanting Howard