PDA

View Full Version : Celtics: Cavs offered Boston two second rounders for Pierce

baseline bum
06-23-2013, 02:27 PM
http://probasketballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/06/23/report-cavaliers-offer-celtics-two-second-round-picks-for-pierce/

Report: Cavaliers offer Celtics two second round picks for Pierce
Kurt Helin Jun 23, 2013, 11:09 AM EDT

Can you say lowball…

The Boston Celtics in the next few days are going to make a decision on whether to bring back Paul Pierce next year at $15 million or buy him out for $5 million (and if he stays or goes will be tied to the decisions of Doc Rivers and Kevin Garnett).

The Cavaliers want to help out the Celtics. And by help out I mean steal from. They made a trade offer to the Celtics, reports the News Herald (Sam Amico of Fox Sports was first with this rumor).

The Cavs have likely spoken to the Celtics about small forward Paul Pierce’s availability. The latest rumor is the Cavs offering their two second-round picks for the 35-year-old Pierce. Pierce’s $15.3 million contract for next year would become guaranteed if he’s dealt.

You should take all rumors this time of year with a grain of salt, and this one you can add a few grains. This comes out of Cavs sources and there is little chance Boston gives it much thought.

Two second round picks isn’t equal value, but for Boston if you’re going to buy him out, isn’t a couple picks better than spending $5 million?

Cavaliers’ owner Dan Gilbert has said he is tired of the lottery and wants to make the playoffs next year. This would be a step in that direction without shortcutting the rebuilding process much, so it makes sense to at least throw it out there.

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 03:16 PM
They're going to buy him out. Especially now that Doc Rivers is going to LA (according to reports). Boston's in full rebuild mode now and paying $15 million for Pierce this year would be really, really dumb.

StrengthAndHonor
06-23-2013, 03:34 PM
Yeah. questionable move tbh. We'll see how it goes down. Boston has a very interesting off season.

LnGrrrR
06-23-2013, 03:59 PM
Blah, if we are trading Pierce I want something of value back. Two second rounders is crap. Plus, if Pierce isn't going to retire in green, Ainge better move him someplace he can win. He deserves that much.

AchillesHeel
06-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Blah, if we are trading Pierce I want something of value back. Two second rounders is crap. Plus, if Pierce isn't going to retire in green, Ainge better move him someplace he can win. He deserves that much.

Well, Boston gets to rebuild and they get 2 picks in return, Pierce can try his luck with Kyrie and whoever they draftr or just let Cavs buy him out. Boston might get something better in return, but if they're looking to rebuild it would be a no-brainer to get rid of him for free.

jeebus
06-23-2013, 04:27 PM
soooooo, who's Boston gonna rebuild around? and don't say Rondo because that's just stupid.

baseline bum
06-23-2013, 05:07 PM
soooooo, who's Boston gonna rebuild around? and don't say Rondo because that's just stupid.

Bradley and Green!

jeebus
06-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Bradley and Green!
:wow

DPG21920
06-23-2013, 05:19 PM
What does Boston think they are going to get? Everyone knows that they are going to buy PP out for 5M. They won't want to have that 15M guaranteed. If the option is spend 5M and get no PP, pay 15M and have him/try to trade him at that salary, or get picks and not pay anything? Should not be that tough..

LnGrrrR
06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
Sullinger actually looks like a nice piece. Boston might even shop Rondo around if they think they can get a good deal for him. I can't imagine Ainge making this the only offseason that Rondo isn't available.

Captivus
06-23-2013, 07:54 PM
If the Cavs end up with PP, they will probably to trade #1 pick, assuming they want to be in the PO next season.

Rogue
06-23-2013, 08:37 PM
Pierce is still a top 15-20 player in the current league and he's worth 15m a year. If he could be had for only two 2nd rounders I don't see why we haven't joined the battle yet. We have enough space to absorb his 15m salary and he would be a perfect #2 option next to dirk. The 15m will come off the book next year along with dirk's 20m, which means there's not at all any financial risk, at least the risk will be much smaller than if we sign Josh Smith or Iggy to a long ass lucrative deal tbh. Neither Josh nor Iggy is a top-tier superstar in my mind