PDA

View Full Version : Trade for Paul Pierce

Outlier
06-23-2013, 10:03 PM
It makes sense. We're into old players, and we can extend his career because of Pop's management of minutes. Give them Cory, and some 2nd round picks. The Cavs offered them 2 2nd round picks. I'm sure we can beat that. And we're in the West.

unforeseen
06-23-2013, 10:05 PM
No more aging players. Stop living in the past. Do not fall into the same trap as the Lakers did with Nash.

chrhawk
06-23-2013, 10:10 PM
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lxpxwyxLPK1r7j0mjo1_500.jpg

ThaBigFundamental21
06-23-2013, 10:22 PM
The Spurs need to start getting younger. On the same token, if the window is open, and obviously only open for 2-3 years tops, with Timmy and Manu retiring. Maybe it makes sense to load up on aging talent. I dunno. We just need to free up 20+ million in cap space and build up this team. If that's getting Iguodala or Jefferson I'm all for it.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 10:24 PM
No trading players for old players, if Boston buys him out, sure I'll take him as FA but no other way.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 10:26 PM
It makes sense. We're into old players, and we can extend his career because of Pop's management of minutes. Give them Cory, and some 2nd round picks. The Cavs offered them 2 2nd round picks. I'm sure we can beat that. And we're in the West.

Paul Pierce is on the books for 15 M next year. How do you plan on matching salaries with Boston? Cleveland is way under the cap therefore doesn't have to worry about that aspect.

Just sayin, go read some of the salary threads in the think tank and educate yourself before you start playing with the trade machine.

HarlemHeat37
06-23-2013, 10:27 PM
If Pierce is bought out, adding him in Manu's old role would be perfect and a no-brainer, but he would never agree to it, obviously..

Any team that gets Pierce in a 25-30 minutes per night role is going to get top 5 SF production, tbh..

freetiago
06-23-2013, 10:27 PM
its about championships
not rebuilding why you can still compete
SA needs to get all the veteran proven players they can
the biggest thing youll notice since the Spurs championship days and today outside of Tim Duncan being in his prime is that the roleplayers constantly disappear in the playoffs
we use to have the Horry's/Bowen/Ellie/Willis/Johnson type guys who would increase their stats in the playoffs

I say bring in Pierce or even more importantly Garnett
Spurs need to bring in the best guys they can for the 1-2 years they have of Duncan and get some rings
id rather get a ring and then hit the lottery to accelerate the rebuild then go ringless and become a treadmill team around some mediocore core

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Yes he would bring some much needed youth and invigoration to our group. And he's only owed $15 million next season!

007nites
06-23-2013, 10:43 PM
It's true that during are other championship runs the role players were fairly old.

2007: Finley (34), Horry (37), Oberto (32), Bowen (36), Barry (36)

2005: Bowen (34), Horry (35), Barry (34),

2003: Robinson (37), Ferry (36), Bowen (32)

1999: Ellie (35), Elliiot (30), Jackson (31)

Outlier
06-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Fuck that "SPurs need to get younger" bullshit. Give Duncan all the dependable vets he needs in his last years. That's the only way we're gonna win a championship, and we are really close. We can't just blow it up like you silly dumb wannabe GMs who want to fire and trade everyone left and right.

TheGoldStandard
06-23-2013, 10:52 PM
We'll meet him at the airport with a wheel chair.

ElNono
06-23-2013, 10:53 PM
Paul Pierce is on the books for 15 M next year. How do you plan on matching salaries with Boston?

Could be wrong, but I thought Boston has the option to buy him out for $5m and let him walk. That would make him a FA.

TheGreatYacht
06-23-2013, 10:56 PM
its about championships
not rebuilding why you can still compete
SA needs to get all the veteran proven players they can
the biggest thing youll notice since the Spurs championship days and today outside of Tim Duncan being in his prime is that the roleplayers constantly disappear in the playoffs
we use to have the Horry's/Bowen/Ellie/Willis/Johnson type guys who would increase their stats in the playoffs

I say bring in Pierce or even more importantly Garnett
Spurs need to bring in the best guys they can for the 1-2 years they have of Duncan and get some rings
id rather get a ring and then hit the lottery to accelerate the rebuild then go ringless and become a treadmill team around some mediocore coreI would take either or both but only if they are bought out or amnestied and we get them at a cheap price. I wouldn't spend more than the midlevel exception though. Paul Pierce at this point is a much better player than Manu. A lot of things would have to happen so as far as trading with Boston to acquire Garnett or Pierce, not a good idea. We're not rich like the Lakers.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 10:56 PM
Could be wrong, but I thought Boston has the option to buy him out for $5m and let him walk. That would make him a FA.

No, you are right. OP didn't know that though.

ViceCity84
06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
That fatty is done

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 10:59 PM
More discussion on Pierce here: http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=213540&p=6696925#post6696925

BatManu20
06-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Question: Would you rather have Pierce or Shawn Marion? Both 35.

Chinook
06-23-2013, 11:06 PM
I don't think people really understand what happened this season. It doesn't make sense to try to prop open the window with older players when the exact opposite has been the case lately. The Spurs got back to the title because of their youth. Leonard, Green and Splitter joined a team that before had a second-round ceiling and made it a true contender. Why would the team try to relive the McDyess/Jefferson/Bogans years? If the team can't find any young players they like, they should stay over the cap and try to trade for some. If they don't want to do that, they should stand pat. The team will have even more cap space next off-season.

freetiago
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
Leonard is the younger better version of Marion
Pierce is a playmaker
played point-forward for Boston once Rondo went down
he can handle Manu's point-forward roles with the bench and make Manu strictly a spot-up shooter and occasional slasher who can make good passes

Marion would be nice since hes still an elite rebounder and the best Lebron/Durant defender in the league
could easily play a lineup with Kawhi guarding a point guard and Marion defending Lebron/Durant and they switch all pick and rolls which would effectively eliminate the pick and roll game from most teams

The Bogans/Jefferson/Mcdyess players were all washed up and still not good players in their prime
Mcdyess was good but the injury made him a Jason Smith type player
theres a huge difference between adding a washed up McDyess and a former MVP caliber player/Finals MVP

RD2191
06-23-2013, 11:08 PM
^Splitter. Lol.

Chinook
06-23-2013, 11:10 PM
^Splitter. Lol.

Yeah, lol, seeing how McDyess really did that much better against Memphis.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 11:14 PM
Yeah, lol, seeing how McDyess really did that much better against Memphis.

I pretty much agree with your assessment but that doesn't mean you don't look at vets. You go after the best player who can help that year. Not saying this was ever plausible but if you switch out Splitter for someone like KG this season the Spurs probably deal with Miami easier this Finals and get through the first 3 rounds the same.

Just an example of a vet move that could be a positive.

Chinook
06-23-2013, 11:25 PM
I pretty much agree with your assessment but that doesn't mean you don't look at vets. You go after the best player who can help that year. Not saying this was ever plausible but if you switch out Splitter for someone like KG this season the Spurs probably deal with Miami easier this Finals and get through the first 3 rounds the same.

Just an example of a vet move that could be a positive.

I could see that, and in the trade thread in the Think Tank, I brought that very switch up as a possibility. But I don't necessarily agree Garnet would have been better in the playoffs. Sure, if he was healthy, had no ego and had chemistry with everyone, he probably would. But that's not a given thing with a lot of older players. I would make that trade but only because I think Baynes can be a really good backup big with some development.

In general, I'm just saying that the Spurs reopened/reinforced their window because they got young players who could run (and more importantly, could still improve) instead of trying to bring in old wings like Bogans because the vets seem "more ready". I think a player like Prigioni could have really helped against the Heat, and I'd be okay with bringing him in on the cheap. But I don't think trying to spend money on players like Pierce and Redick is the way to go. I'd rather spend it on a young player the front office believes can become a fixture for the next several years.

Outlier
06-23-2013, 11:27 PM
Other players Spurs should focus on:

2013: Tony Allen, Kevin Martin, Millsap, Francisco Garcia, D. West, J. Jack

2014: Thabo Sefolosha, Bogut

spurspokesman
06-23-2013, 11:29 PM

Just an example of a vet move that could be a positive. I agree

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 11:39 PM
I could see that, and in the trade thread in the Think Tank, I brought that very switch up as a possibility. But I don't necessarily agree Garnet would have been better in the playoffs. Sure, if he was healthy, had no ego and had chemistry with everyone, he probably would. But that's not a given thing with a lot of older players. I would make that trade but only because I think Baynes can be a really good backup big with some development.

In general, I'm just saying that the Spurs reopened/reinforced their window because they got young players who could run (and more importantly, could still improve) instead of trying to bring in old wings like Bogans because the vets seem "more ready". I think a player like Prigioni could have really helped against the Heat, and I'd be okay with bringing him in on the cheap. But I don't think trying to spend money on players like Pierce and Redick is the way to go. I'd rather spend it on a young player the front office believes can become a fixture for the next several years.

Just have to find that balance between vets and young players. No debating that the Spurs youth movement has had a major impact in the Spurs being successful the past two years. Gotta have proven vets who can play in big moments though too if you expect to win the championship.

Chinook
06-23-2013, 11:45 PM
The way I see it, the team doesn't really have any holes outside of perhaps a play-maker for the bench. But if the team plays its cards right, it could have more than $10 Million in cap space to use on a free agent (while bringing Ginobili, Splitter and hell even Neal back). So the question becomes what will Pop et al spend the money on. They can go for vets like Pierce, Millsap or Artest. Or they can go for younger players like Evans, Jennings (please not him, but still) or some young bigs in trades. Since I pretty much consider it extra cap space, I'd rather gamble somewhat and try to go for a potential star. Worst comes to worst, they can just trade the players for nothing the following off-season. Sure, they could sign the next Ben Gordon, but is that really that much worse than signing the next Richard Jefferson, Marcus Camby or even Caron Butler?

Chinook
06-23-2013, 11:47 PM
Just have to find that balance between vets and young players. No debating that the Spurs youth movement has had a major impact in the Spurs being successful the past two years. Gotta have proven vets who can play in big moments though too if you expect to win the championship.

Exactly. I guess that's what I'm trying to say. The Spurs had older role-players in years past because their core was young (like Miami's is). But as the core ages, I think the role-players should get younger to help carry more of the load. Even if Ray Allen came through and Danny Green didn't (which isn't true), Green was undoubtedly more useful to the Spurs than Allen would have been.

DesignatedT
06-23-2013, 11:51 PM
The Spurs need somebody else who can create his own shot. That's why I like the Pierce idea. It isn't perfect but the Spurs need somebody else who they can give the ball to and rely on to score. This player also needs to be unselfish so the Spurs can play there unselfish type of offense but when the nitty gritty starts to happen in the 4th quarter they need someone else they can give the ball to and rely on.

They can update their role players in certain situations but they still need another play maker who can dominate the ball and create a shot for himself when needed.

kobyz
06-24-2013, 12:31 AM
I'm getting more and more into that pierce signing, at first I was thinking he would not want to be leaving Boston for loyal reasons but now I start to think he will want one more chance to beat the hated miami and even more will want a revange at tat traitor ray Allen. Pierce will bring us great flexibility as a team and will make us much more versityle team and stronger, he fit well next to our players, kawai/green/pierce/Manu it's great wing rotation, will also put Manu at a reduce role all will give opportunity to go small when needed... So it's going to be between us and the clippers for who going to get pp, hope we winning that battle.

Duncanforthree
06-24-2013, 01:31 AM
I bet we could get Pierce and KG to join us on the cheap just so they could have a go at Ray Allen's bitch ass.

Mal
06-24-2013, 01:32 AM
Only when he is waived by his new team.

Chief
06-24-2013, 02:19 AM
I'm all for a guy who can create his own shot. we don't have many of those guys on our team (Green is a set shooter who can't hit a jumper inside the 3pt line or layup), Tony Parker is useless unless he is coming off a pick and roll, Manu can't create his own shot anymore, the team needs Pierce

DJR210
06-24-2013, 02:28 AM
How about OJ Mayo? Let Mills and Neal go.. His ball handling would come in handy when the opposing coach decides to take Parker out of the game with a SF.

freetiago
06-24-2013, 02:59 AM
Mayo is terrible
overrated
low iq

he had a hot streak to start the season but obviously cooled down
he disappears from game to game like Danny Green and hes one of the worst clutch players ive seen
when hes at his best hes a top SG but you cant depend on that

007nites
06-24-2013, 03:24 AM
Parker stands at the top of the arc and dribbles the ball for 5 seconds. He gets a pick and he dribbles right then he see's that he can't find a seem to penetrate to the basket so he calls for another pick and he dribbles back to the left (still no open lane) so he dribbles back right and then get's trapped. At this point the shot clock is down to 8. He bails out and he passes the ball back to the top of the arc to a well defended teammate. Shot clock is down to 5. Now we have to rush a shot which usually leads to a turnover.

This is where Pierce is needed. The only other guy we have who can score in high percentages in isolation situations is Duncan.

dunkman
06-24-2013, 05:19 AM
Pierce would be great for the Spurs, he's still good.

montgod
06-24-2013, 05:41 AM
This would be a phenomenal addition if they could pull it off. Pierce would be significant down stretch and playoffs especially the way Pop preserves vet players. Probably could add a few years to his career. And he should fit
in fine with offense...he avg almost 5 assists last year along with 18pts per.

exstatic
06-24-2013, 06:14 AM

Your information is about 4 years out of date. The last old player we got with the intent of putting them into the rotation was McDyess. That was in 2009. Pop has changed his philosophy as his core players have aged. He surrounds them with young players: Kawhi, Green, James Anderson, Neal, Mahinmi, Splitter were ALL in their 20s when they came on board.

exstatic
06-24-2013, 06:16 AM
It's true that during are other championship runs the role players were fairly old.

2007: Finley (34), Horry (37), Oberto (32), Bowen (36), Barry (36)

2005: Bowen (34), Horry (35), Barry (34),

2003: Robinson (37), Ferry (36), Bowen (32)

1999: Ellie (35), Elliiot (30), Jackson (31)

Our core was relatively young, though, except for 99, and Tim was VERY young.

racm
06-24-2013, 06:19 AM
Our core was relatively young, though.

See the Heat. The reason they can afford to have a rotation mostly over 30 (Andersen, Allen, Miller, Battier, Wade) is because LeBron is at his physical and mental peak and Bosh is young enough to play heavy minutes.

There was no need to surround prime Duncan with youth, especially since the only players younger and getting heavy minutes were Ginobili and Parker.

SenorSpur
06-24-2013, 06:35 AM
Please!

No need for more old players.

The Spurs need to continue adding youth around their core.

superbigtime
06-24-2013, 09:08 AM
That's about as realistic as D Howard coming here. Spurs need to find consistent role players. I thought Danny Green was going to be that guy with the way he played games 1-5, but Lord he sucked ass after that. Neal was only average. Bonner is conssitent but not in a good way, and he is clearly not playoff material. The guy that comes to mind is Jarrett Jack.

cd021
06-24-2013, 09:18 AM

He is making $15 Million. He will be waived and then be able to sign to vet minimum if willing. The League has hinted they may block any move that would place him in a Clipper uniform the spurs could sign him since he'd be likely to sign with a contender.

Russo21
06-24-2013, 09:24 AM
I bet we could get Pierce and KG to join us on the cheap just so they could have a go at Ray Allen's bitch ass. Mate that'd be wicked! Fuck all chance of that happening though. The Superfriends in Miami will have to watch out for the old farts in San Antone if they come that's for sure

Russo21
06-24-2013, 09:32 AM
Garnett, Duncan, Leonard, Pierce, Parker. Heck of a starting 5. Trade Parker for a traditional PG and we'll be in the hunt again. You'd need a PG who isn't a hog to play alongside KG, TD, Pierce and Leonard. Don't take to many shots, but shoot the good high % shots and look after the damn ball unlike Manu freakin ginobili. Garnett, Duncan, Leonard, Pierce, good PG not named Tony ballhog Parker and we'll be right back there contending the ring.

james evans
06-24-2013, 04:46 PM
as long as ginobl's gone, they could bring back avery johnson at the point for all i care.