PDA

View Full Version : Lakers: Thoughts on this take for Pop and Phil

TheRealCB
06-24-2013, 06:59 AM
Phil Jackson is great at building chemistry, managing egos, and handling great talent. a talented team doesn't automatically win rings, it needs a good coach like phil as well (look at 2013 lakers).
Popovich is great at player development, mentoring, and handling potential. He believes that every player can improve and has potential.
Jackson prevents underachievement, Popovich makes them overachieve.

Just a random YouTube comment,but I find it to be a very solid take...Thoughts?

Sportcamper
06-24-2013, 09:01 AM
Phil Jackson has never intentionally thrown an NBA Finals
There really should be a criminal investigation for Greg Popovich’s behavior in the 2013 finals….

UZER
06-24-2013, 02:41 PM
There really should be a criminal investigation for Greg Popovich’s behavior in the 2013 finals….

:lol true. substituting duncan out will be his Little Bighorn. its like that stupid card nfl coaches use that tell you to kick the extra point or go for twobased on the time left and score. sometimes you gotta go with the feel of that game and that play at that moment, not just what youve done before, or what the card says, or playing the odds.

Pops system is his greatest assrt and greatest crutch. Phil deemed him and his staff the "simulator crew" for a reason.

Thread
06-24-2013, 02:43 PM
true. substituting duncan out will be his Little Bighorn. its like that stupid card nfl coaches use that tell you to kick the extra point or go for twobased on the time keft and score. sometimes you gotta go with the feel of that game and that play at that moment, not just what youve done before, or what thw card says, or playing the odds.

Pops system is his greatest assrt and greatest crutch

Oooze with the straight & sober goods.

spurraider21
06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
Never understood this whole managing egos bullshit with Phil. The shaq Kobe ego clash is the biggest in nba history and Phil was at the helm. Kobe quit on him, demanded a trade, etc. Phil is a great coach, the triangle is brilliant, but he is Coach Phil not Dr Phil

BatManu20
06-24-2013, 03:04 PM
Pop takes himself a lot of lot less seriously than Phil does. Could you imagine Pop writing and releasing a book and practicing Zen in his free time? lol. Phil knows he's the best and loves for people to acknowledge it. Pop doesn't give a shit about anything.

There's some truth to that assessment though. Both great coaches in their own right.

whitemamba
06-24-2013, 03:06 PM

this guy rarely posts, but hes my favorite laker poster.

Thread
06-24-2013, 03:09 PM
Pop doesn't give a shit about anything.

Nonsense. Pop just hides it.

whitemamba
06-24-2013, 03:16 PM
Nonsense. Pop just hides it.
:tu how would u not care... i dont understand.

AchillesHeel
06-24-2013, 03:21 PM

What happened in 08? Lakers are up 20+ points on their home floor against the Celtics and they end up losing the Game by 6 points

how does that happen? or 39?

Thread
06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
What happened in 08? Lakers are up 20+ points on their home floor against the Celtics and they end up losing the Game by 6 points

how does that happen? or 39?

That was Kobe's responsibility, his duty to stop that hemorrage. He failed. That's how it "happen."

AchillesHeel
06-24-2013, 03:28 PM
That was Kobe's responsibility, his duty to stop that hemorrage. He failed. That's how it "happen."

How about the sweep?

Thread
06-24-2013, 03:47 PM
How about the sweep?

Nash & Howard let their mouths overload their asses.

AchillesHeel
06-24-2013, 03:50 PM
Nash & Howard let their mouths overload their asses.

I see you've erased 2011 out of your mind :lol old man

TheRealCB
06-24-2013, 03:53 PM
I see you've erased 2011 out of your mind :lol old man

:lmao

Thread
06-24-2013, 03:54 PM
^I picked one. Sue me.

Rogue
06-24-2013, 08:37 PM
the prowess in handling ego might be the only attribute that Phil beats Pop to. basically I can't imagine Pop coaching a team that has Kobe on board. Duncan is such a humble lukewarm guy that never shows any disapproval against coach's decisions. if you bench Kobe for the crunch minutes in a game, no matter whether your team win or lose, he'll instantly go apeshit against his coach, and the relationship between him and the coach will deteriorate to such an extent when one has to go (in most cases, it is the coach). Pop would've lost his job in 02, 04, or 06 at most if he had Kobe on his team

Venti Quattro
06-25-2013, 03:21 AM
What this essentially means is that in a stacked team, Phil will be the head coach and Pop will be the assistant coach.

Thebesteva
06-25-2013, 03:25 AM
The truth is, we'll never know exactly what it would have been like if Pop and Timmy were Lakers and worked in a large market and if Kobe and Phil were in a small market with less talent.

I think at the end of the day......Phil with 11 and that tired old shit bag Pop with 4 :-D tee hee

spurraider21
06-25-2013, 03:37 AM
the prowess in handling ego might be the only attribute that Phil beats Pop to.

Never understood this whole managing egos bullshit with Phil. The shaq Kobe ego clash is the biggest in nba history and Phil was at the helm. Kobe quit on him, demanded a trade, etc. Phil is a great coach, the triangle is brilliant, but he is Coach Phil not Dr Phil

lefty
06-25-2013, 04:48 AM

Lol he didn't even invent the triangle

It was Winter

lefty
06-25-2013, 04:50 AM
What this essentially means is that in a stacked team, Phil will be the head coach and Pop will be the assistant coach.
No what it means is that with a stacked team, Pop would win more titles than Phil

Still, fuck Pop for the game 6 debacle