PDA

View Full Version : The Spurs first round pick will be an international that will be stashed

benefactor
06-24-2013, 12:42 PM
I know that some of you have visions of a rotation level player getting drafted at 28, but I just don't see it happening. Most of the players around that area just don't look like guaranteed money level players, especially since this team really doesn't have a need that can be solved with this pick in what is likely a one year window that is left for for contending. They don't really have the assets to trade up either. Barring a quality player dropping, the Spurs will save the money and the roster spot and pick someone they can stash. As this team is all in for this coming season, I'd rather see both used on veteran additions anyway.

I'm sure there will be a meltdown anyways after it happens as many of you seem to still be emotionally compromised from the Finals, but I figured I'd help plant the seed so you can at least start to prepare yourself.

Raven
06-24-2013, 12:48 PM
yeah i expect that to happen too. I'm still hoping for an athletic monkeyballer that we can try to develop though.

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I know that some of you have visions of a rotation level player getting drafted at 28, but I just don't see it happening. Most of the players around that area just don't look like guaranteed money level players, especially since this team really doesn't have a need that can be solved with this pick in what is likely a one year window that is left for for contending. They don't really have the assets to trade up either. Barring a quality player dropping, the Spurs will save the money and the roster spot and pick someone they can stash. As this team is all in for this coming season, I'd rather see both used on veteran additions anyway.

I'm sure there will be a meltdown anyways after it happens as many of you seem to still be emotionally compromised from the Finals, but I figured I'd help plant the seed so you can at least start to prepare yourself.

This is most likely true, tbh. However...

I would never count out that Pop, RC & Crew may have some tricks up their sleeves to move up in this year's draft. This is a relatively weak class, so teams may be more willing to trade back. Plus, I can guaruntee you that plenty of teams around the league now are going to try to replicate superfriends with thier own franchise, since it has been so "successful." Thus, they might try to avoid having to spend big $$ on a draftee and instead use that to either create cap space or trade a pick for somebody. This may be the pefect opportunity for the Spurs to do what they do best in the offseason.

We shall see my friend.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Agree with DML. May be several teams interested in saving a few million by moving back. Should be a buyers market and Bonners contract helps.

NBAFan2323
06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
I think the spurs should definitely stash a pick over seas. So far they have been very successful with international players and I think they can be again. There are plenty of over seas players in this draft that are available. Who knows when Shroeder is going to be drafted, but if he is still on the board, the spurs should definitely draft him.

Baam
06-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Don't follow you, several players at 28 look more nba ready than Joseph was.

You can get a Neal replacement for cheaper than it'd take to resign him, thinking about someone like Glen Rice Jr.

Besides the only rumor so far is Jean Charles so you're basically repeating the same thing we already heard.

T Park
06-24-2013, 01:02 PM
There's not really that many intriguing players or ones that fit a giant need. If Bonner plus the 28 gets you moved up then they may do it, doubt it though.

chrhawk
06-24-2013, 01:06 PM
Sounds about right as this is most likely Duncan and Ginobili's last season. No point in spending a draft pick and using up valuable cap space on someone who you know won't contribute right away. The only exception I'd make is if a decent big falls to them(Geing or Adams). But I don't see that happening tbh.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
There's not really that many intriguing players or ones that fit a giant need. If Bonner plus the 28 gets you moved up then they may do it, doubt it though.

It's not for certain, just assessing the general market. Spurs look for value. They are great at drafting. If you can get good value to move up in the draft which appears possible it definitely makes it a possibility. Saving 3M for teams (which is about the cost of buying a decent outside top 10 pick anyways), could come in handy which is what Bonner does.

Knoxxx
06-24-2013, 01:08 PM
Anything that replaces Bonner with a better player I am in favor of. The challenge is finding someone who can stay on court deep in playoffs which is much more likely to be a vet than a rook.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 01:10 PM
Sounds about right as this is most likely Duncan and Ginobili's last season. No point in spending a draft pick and using up valuable cap space on someone who you know won't contribute right away. The only exception I'd make is if a decent big falls to them(Geing or Adams). But I don't see that happening tbh.

Spurs aren't guaranteed to use cap space really. Definitely could but not for certain. It's a pretty small cap hit & if you can get someone you really like, even if they aren't ready yet, worth it.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 01:11 PM
Spurs are in continual contend/rebuild mode. It was hard for me to grasp that at first because I felt you should choose one v the other. But they've done great.

RD2191
06-24-2013, 01:17 PM
Rudy Gobert :hat

Robz4000
06-24-2013, 01:20 PM
Spurs are in continual contend/rebuild mode. It was hard for me to grasp that at first because I felt you should choose one v the other. But they've done great.

This. A lot of posters on this board are convinced the Spurs are going to the shitter once TD, Manu, and Pop leave the court. I just can't see them becoming bottom dwellers unless they find a prospect to truly tank a season for. They won't be true contenders for a while but they won't go the way of the Suns or Jazz; the FO is too good for that.

Ed Helicopter Jones
06-24-2013, 01:51 PM
http://www.nbadraft.net/players/tony-snell

If I'm the Spurs I trade up and go after Kawhi's high school teammate, Tony Snell.

AFBlue
06-24-2013, 01:56 PM
If they can get a 3&D rotation wing that allows them to replace Neal and backup Kawhi, I think they take the $1M cap hit. Guys like Bullock or Snell fit the mold.

chrhawk
06-24-2013, 02:03 PM
Spurs aren't guaranteed to use cap space really. Definitely could but not for certain. It's a pretty small cap hit & if you can get someone you really like, even if they aren't ready yet, worth it.

The more I think about it I think you are right about taking the mall cap-hit. And I also agree with AFBlue about finding a two-way wing in the draft who might be able to contribute next year. That could be cheaper than shopping for a back-up SF in free-agency, saving them money for a big-man and a veteran ball-handler.

playblair
06-24-2013, 02:28 PM
nah Mike Muscala (http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/players/playerpage/1714813) or D.J. Stephens (http://www.cbssports.com/nba/draft/mock-draft/round/2#) = better fit than bonner .................

Aggie Hoopsfan
06-24-2013, 03:24 PM
If Dallas really wants to get out of the 13 pick like they say here in DFW, then send our pick and Bonner to them and go get someone like Muhammad, Larkin, Olynyk.

benefactor
06-24-2013, 04:48 PM
:lol Baam...again...find something else to do besides talk basketball.

A trade could happen...but I don't think anyone really sees Bonner as worth trading a higher pick for. If the Spurs do a trade I think they might do something like a high second in this draft and a future second. Without knowing what the future holds for Bonner, Manu and Splitter I don't think they add another player via the first round of the draft...especially one that more than likely won't be helping next season anyway. I think they keep the money/roster spot by trading the pick or stashing it and look fill out the roster via their own free agents/other free agents or some combination of both.

BatManu20
06-24-2013, 05:26 PM
RHkdfbdSbTQ

stxspurs
06-24-2013, 05:30 PM

If I'm the Spurs I trade up and go after Kawhi's high school teammate, Tony Snell.

looks like another stone faced player...

Chinook
06-24-2013, 05:37 PM
I think draft night will be interesting for Spurfans. People are thinking about using Bonner to move up in the draft to catch a player who fell like Leonard. But the opposite may end up being true.

Bonner's deal can take be used to take back $4.6 Million in salary. That's enough to get a lot of players who are on almost-MLE deals or most players on rookie deals. If a player falls to 28 that a team like Houston wants, then it makes doing a Bonner and 28 for Robinson and 34 deal possible.

Moreover, including Mills' now-tradeable deal with Bonner would allow the Spurs to take back a player like Derrick Williams (yes, I'm still high on him).

What we do know if that if Bonner is traded on draft night, the Spurs will likely stay over the cap for the off-season. People with hopes of getting Millsap/Jack/Evans should be on notice.

benefactor
06-24-2013, 05:42 PM
:tu

Good stuff. And yes to Derrick Williams.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Even if Bonner is traded for guaranteed money, Spurs should still have 10M potentially. If Boris opts out that washes Bonner out cap wise

exstatic
06-24-2013, 06:54 PM

Good stuff. And yes to Derrick Williams.

Stupidly, Minny is talking about NOT trading him, in spite of the fact that Adelman either doesn't like him or doesn't like his game. When Love is healthy, Williams racks up DNP/CDs at $5M per year.

DPG21920
06-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Even if Bonner is traded for guaranteed money, Spurs should still have 10M potentially. If Boris opts out that washes Bonner out cap wise
Chinook this sound right to you?

SenorSpur
06-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Not if Gourgui Dieng is on the board @ #28.

Chinook
06-24-2013, 08:54 PM
Chinook (http://www.spurstalk.com/forums/member.php?u=37557) this sound right to you?

Yep.

The Spurs have about $15.4 Million in cap space if Bonner is still on the books. If Diaw opts out, they get another $4 Million. So they'll actually get a bit more.

If you're factoring in Splitter's hold, then they have about $11.9 Million. Neal's hold drops it to $11.3 Million, and the first-rounder would take it to about $10.7 Million. My numbers could be off but they do suggest you're in the right ball park.

benefactor
06-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Not if Gourgui Dieng is on the board @ #28.

Barring a quality player dropping

Ice009
06-24-2013, 09:06 PM

Just read that. He looks pretty good. How high is he expected to go?

Marrow
06-24-2013, 09:10 PM
I don't see any need in giving up assets to trade up when there are plenty of good rotation players to be had late in both rounds (even some that would potentially go undrafted)...I would only trade up for oladipo but I don't see him falling out of the top 5. Usually these so called "weaker" drafts have the most surprises because teams seem to focus on the wrong information (physical tools, potential etc)

I see the spurs drafting the likes of dieng (if he falls far enough), mike muscala, nate wolters, reggie bullock, arsalan kazemi (possibly will go undrafted), DJ Stephens. There are plenty of options, just depends on what happens on draft day.

Man In Black
06-24-2013, 09:57 PM
What about Kawhi's College teammate, Jamaal Franklin?
http://www.blogabull.com/2013/6/23/4453982/nba-draft-2013-jamaal-franklin-chicago-bulls

TimmyDuncan21
06-24-2013, 10:33 PM
yeah i expect that to happen too. I'm still hoping for an athletic monkeyballer that we can try to develop though.

Ok wait.....you want the Spurs to draft ur Mother?? That would not be good. :wakeup

dallasmaverickslose
06-24-2013, 10:39 PM
Tony Snell and Jamaal Franklin. Lets draft a good big next offseason, they seem pretty lackluster this yr.

TE
06-27-2013, 08:51 PM
Bump tbh...let the preemptive cries begin :cry

benefactor
06-27-2013, 08:52 PM
:cryfuck you RC:cry

benefactor
06-27-2013, 09:17 PM
Wait for it......

TE
06-27-2013, 09:18 PM
:depressed

TE
06-27-2013, 09:33 PM
prahps

benefactor
06-27-2013, 09:35 PM
http://mrwgifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/Denzel-Washington-Boom-Gif.gif

Spurs9
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM
:(

davidbowie
06-27-2013, 09:36 PM

YOURE A GENIUS BRO

DieHardSpursFan1537
06-27-2013, 10:01 PM
Spot on! That's impressive!

benefactor
06-27-2013, 10:20 PM
Eh...wasn't that hard of a call. The Spurs are coming off a near title run and are certainly looking to take one more crack at it next season. Doesn't make much sense to waste a roster spot and money on a player in a bad draft when the team needs to pick up some depth in FA to try to get back to the Finals.

Stabula
06-27-2013, 10:32 PM
Good call