PDA

View Full Version : Status of Spurs' cap exceptions as of 7-15-05

Marcus Bryant
07-16-2005, 01:47 PM
Spurs should have $2.688 mil of their "Mid-Level Salary Exception" (MLE) remaining after Oberto's contract, assuming that the MLE is $5.0 mil for the 2005-06 seson and that Oberto received a 3 year deal with 8% annual raises (since Oberto is not a Spur free agent he wouldn't be eligible for the 10% raises as I understand the CBA) that pays a nominal total of $7.5 mil (should start at roughly $2.312 mil. Subtract that from the actual MLE amount to determine how much the Spurs have left.) over the life of the contract.

The Spurs also have their "$1 Million Exception" which was actually worth $1.6 million in 2004-05 and probably will end up being worth $1.7 million in 2005-06.

In addition, the Spurs will be able to sign as many players as they like until they fill out the roster using the Minimum Player Exception.

So the Spurs still have some cap flexibility to add some decent free agents to the team.

usckk
07-16-2005, 01:50 PM
Or we could trade Nazr or Rasho.

Karl Mundt
07-16-2005, 02:18 PM
I think Duncan, Horry and Oberto are here for the next three years. Either Nazr or Rasho is traded (before or during the season) and i'm guessing it's for a small forward, not a PF or center even though a front court player will be missing after the trade. The question becomes how much salary will the Spurs be getting back for either of those two players, presuming they aren't going to some team that's under that cap which will give back picks. The other question that should define further action is how much is Holt willing to spend. With Tim's, Manu's, Tony's, Bruce's, Horry's, Brent's, Beno's, (probably Devin's) and Oberto's contracts in place, and either Nazr's or Rasho's, if the Spurs plan on getting a contract back, maybe they don't even plan on using the rest of the exceptions (apart from Devin's) and just settle for a veteran's minimum. Another option is if Nazr or Rasho get traded for two players, whose contracts would match that of the player traded, a small forward they'd be keeping long term, and a PF with an expiring contract. After next year, Scola is brought over.

This year:
PG - Parker
SG - Ginobili
SF - Bowen
PF - Duncan
C - Nazr/Rasho

Bench:
PG - Beno
SG - Brent/Devin
SF - New SF/Devin
PF - Horry/Oberto/Temporary PF or someone from the IR
C - Oberto

then next year:
PG - Parker
SG - Ginobili
SF - Bowen
PF - Duncan
C - Nazr/Rasho

bench:
PG - Beno
SG - Brent/Devin
SF - New SF/Devin
PF - Horry/Scola
C - Oberto

As for Nazr/Rasho trades: i think the Spurs will look at extending Nazr this season and see how he responds. If he doesn't take a contract this year, i don't think they'll be trading Rasho unless Holt is willing to go up to 10 million a year (which i doubt he is), so they'll try and see what they can get for Nazr.

JUUOT
07-16-2005, 02:39 PM
Karl,

i love your scenario and it seems the most reasonable.
since in this schema the new SF would have limited minutes shared with brent and brown. i think LJIII or another young prototypical long SF would be a good project to develop. therefore like LJIII salaries are limited and do not require to trade rasho or nazr.

maybee the best trade scenario would be. sending nazr/rasho one of them for draf picks...or just keep your scenario with no trade.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-16-2005, 02:44 PM
Just to add to MB's original post, I have seen in 2-3 places now the LLE will be 1.8 million.

Karl Mundt
07-16-2005, 02:59 PM
Karl,

i love your scenario and it seems the most reasonable.
since in this schema the new SF would have limited minutes shared with brent and brown. i think LJIII or another young prototypical long SF would be a good project to develop. therefore like LJIII salaries are limited and do not require to trade rasho or nazr.

maybee the best trade scenario would be. sending nazr/rasho one of them for draf picks...or just keep your scenario with no trade.

I was very optimistic about signing LJIII but i don't know what his status is these days. Is he still injured, do the coaches still see potential in him? Is he still under contract for next year? I would keep him on the inactive list and sign another SF for the minimum or the rest of the MLE. In case Devin or Brent (or one of the starters) go down with in injury it's good to have an extra player.

Trading for draft picks might be a good idea, since you'd be trading for a rookie contract and would probably get a pretty decent pick for either of the two. Not sure how many teams are (or will be) under the cap, but the funny thing is, it seems that when they are, they are generally the worst teams in the league, and hence look forward to having high draft picks the next year so they probably wouldn't be willing to trade them. Both Nazr and Rasho are very tradeable, and even if the Spurs don't manage to get something good for them, the worst thing that can happen is Nazr is let go after next season and the frontcourt rotation goes to Tim/Rasho/Horry/Scola?/Oberto - probably the best in the league.

Kori Ellis
07-16-2005, 04:01 PM
Just to add to MB's original post, I have seen in 2-3 places now the LLE will be 1.8 million.

Me too.

Bruno
07-20-2005, 07:52 AM
Spurs should have $2.688 mil of their "Mid-Level Salary Exception" (MLE) remaining after Oberto's contract, assuming that the MLE is $5.0 mil for the 2005-06 seson and that Oberto received a 3 year deal with 8% annual raises (since Oberto is not a Spur free agent he wouldn't be eligible for the 10% raises as I understand the CBA) that pays a nominal total of $7.5 mil (should start at roughly $2.312 mil. Subtract that from the actual MLE amount to determine how much the Spurs have left.) over the life of the contract.

The Spurs also have their "$1 Million Exception" which was actually worth $1.6 million in 2004-05 and probably will end up being worth $1.7 million in 2005-06.

In addition, the Spurs will be able to sign as many players as they like until they fill out the roster using the Minimum Player Exception.

So the Spurs still have some cap flexibility to add some decent free agents to the team.

After reading larry coon's cba and the thread on this forum, I think spurs split MLE between Horry and Oberto. Spurs haven't Early bird rights on Horry and sign a 8.5M $ over three year contract.

JUUOT
07-20-2005, 08:17 AM
so in worst case scenario there is the the 1.8$ million exception left for a SF. and the rest of the roster id filled with minimum salary players. recruitment would be nearly done unless rasho or nazr traded. if MLE is gone so is glenn

In best case scenario half MLE available plus 1.8$ million. However from the list of potential SF there is not much quality left without sign and trade or at least not expensive one.

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 08:22 AM
After reading larry coon's cba and the thread on this forum, I think spurs split MLE between Horry and Oberto. Spurs haven't Early bird rights on Horry and sign a 8.5M $ over three year contract.

The Spurs have Horry's Early Bird rights. Renouncing him in the summer of 2004 resulted in the loss of his Early Bird/Bird rights status only for the rest of the following season (in this case, 2004-05) through June 30th. This was covered ad naseum in the forum a few weeks ago.

So the Spurs have the remainder of their MLE as well as the LLE to use on free agents now.

Bruno
07-20-2005, 08:39 AM
The Spurs have Horry's Early Bird rights. Renouncing him in the summer of 2004 resulted in the loss of his Early Bird/Bird rights status only for the rest of the following season (in this case, 2004-05) through June 30th. This was covered ad naseum in the forum a few weeks ago.

So the Spurs have the remainder of their MLE as well as the LLE to use on free agents now.

I've read this thread. Cuban offers 9M/3year to Horry and som article said Horry accepts less money from the Spurs. Outside this forum, Is there an article who said that Spurs use early bird right to sign Horry ?

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 08:43 AM
I've read this thread. Cuban offers 9M/3year to Horry and som article said Horry accepts less money from the Spurs. Outside this forum, Is there an article who said that Spurs use early bird right to sign Horry ?

What article included the statement that Horry took less from the Spurs?

Assuming for the moment that he did, that does not mean that the Spurs did not use Horry's Early Bird rights. According to the CBA they had those rights this summer (starting July 1).

He played two consecutive seasons with the team and if he was renounced, he was renounced last summer. So they have his Early Bird rights.

Bruno
07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
What article included the statement that Horry took less from the Spurs?

Assuming for the moment that he did, that does not mean that the Spurs did not use Horry's Early Bird rights. According to the CBA they had those rights this summer (starting July 1).

He played two consecutive seasons with the team and if he was renounced, he was renounced last summer. So they have his Early Bird rights.

I haven't the link anymore. For the Early Bird Rights, I'm not convinced. Anyway.
We will have the answers in 1 or 2 weeks.

Solid D
07-20-2005, 09:11 AM
so in worst case scenario there is the the 1.8$ million exception left for a SF. and the rest of the roster id filled with minimum salary players. recruitment would be nearly done unless rasho or nazr traded. if MLE is gone so is glenn

In best case scenario half MLE available plus 1.8$ million. However from the list of potential SF there is not much quality left without sign and trade or at least not expensive one.

Well, I have heard that there is Slim Pickens available at SF. Who is he?

http://images1.moviemarket.co.uk/library/photos/172/172129.jpg

Marcus Bryant
07-20-2005, 09:19 AM
I haven't the link anymore. For the Early Bird Rights, I'm not convinced.

Then you should review the CBA FAQ again. It's rather clear.